Join the Bitchfest >>

Mouth ulcers

Anyone know any natural remedies for benign ulcerations in the mouth? I am plagued with outbreaks of these from time to time. They heal spontaneously in a few days, but they hurt like hell in the meantime. In the past a doc prescribed Prednisone and that worked, but I don’t want to go through the dr appt and Rx process. Any suggestions?

--Patient for Dr DL
replies 45Dec 6, 2017 6:14 PM +00:00

Hydrogen peroxide on a Q-tip. Soak the ulcer. Let it sizzle. Go to bed. Almost healed by morning.

--Anonymous
replies 1Dec 6, 2017 6:16 PM +00:00

Gargle salt water

--Anonymous
replies 2Dec 6, 2017 6:17 PM +00:00

Vitamin C and Vitamin D supplements.

--Anonymous
replies 3Dec 6, 2017 6:17 PM +00:00

L-lysine supplements

--Anonymous
replies 4Dec 6, 2017 6:18 PM +00:00

If you are talking canker sores, I used to get them regularly. Then I learned that a B vitamin supplement would prevent them. Now I never get them.

The B-vitamin group consists of eight substances that all play important roles in cellular metabolism and other vital processes. B vitamins are water-soluble and excreted in the urine when in excess, making it necessary to replenish them regularly. Lack of certain B vitamins can precipitate mouth sores or cause skin irritation in and around the...
LIVESTRONG.COM
--Anonymous
replies 5Dec 6, 2017 6:19 PM +00:00

I've suffered from them forever and as people have said above, the only thing that has ever worked is taking L-Lysine and B12 supplements regularly or as soon as I feel a sore coming on. I only found out about this a few months ago and it's saved me from so much agony, wish I'd known sooner!

--Anonymous
replies 6Dec 6, 2017 6:30 PM +00:00

Lysine.

OTC you can buy this paste called orabase that contains lidocaine. It numbs & protects the area.

The best I ever had was a concoction with benadryl and some other stuff that the druggist had to mix. I forgot the name, but it is frequently prescribed to people with mouth/throat cancer.

--Anonymous
replies 7Dec 6, 2017 6:44 PM +00:00

Aren't they a result of too much acidic foods? You may need to alter your diet.

--Anonymous
replies 8Dec 6, 2017 6:45 PM +00:00

The vitamin Bcomplex advice is good advice. When I was a vegetarian, I develped mouth ulcers because I wasn't eating red meat and had a vitamin deficiency.

--Anonymous
replies 9Dec 6, 2017 6:45 PM +00:00

What are 'mouth ulcers' and the symptoms? I'm not being flippant; just want to know.

--Anonymous
replies 10Dec 6, 2017 6:48 PM +00:00

Yes, Lysine Tsp Baking soda desolved in water in your mouth for @ a minute will neutralize acid and reduce inflammation and pain until ulcers heal.

--Anonymous
replies 11Dec 6, 2017 6:57 PM +00:00

Alum. Apply to sore, drool for 2 minutes into a sink. Also avoid wheat. You'll never get them again unless there's major trauma to to the mouth.

--Anonymous
replies 12Dec 6, 2017 7:03 PM +00:00

^ Uniquely qualified to tell you exactly what's wrong with you and advocate treatment despite not knowing you, not seeing you, and not knowing anything of your medical history.

--Just Like A Real Expert!
replies 13Dec 6, 2017 7:09 PM +00:00

Op - I’ve slways hound taking a zinc supplement - usually since + vitamin c - helped me. I especially need it when run down.

And sometimes find I get ulcers if I’ve had too much chocolate or sugary stuff. Which sucks - I’ve a sweet tooth :(

--Anonymous
replies 14Dec 6, 2017 7:48 PM +00:00

OP, is it possible you have "Trench Mouth"? Those are the symptoms.

--Anonymous
replies 15Dec 6, 2017 8:10 PM +00:00

In addition to R7 's recommendations, benzocaine also numbs the area pretty well. I've been getting canker sores since I was a kid because I don't eat properly and the only thing that will stop them is i) actually eating a balanced and sufficient diet for once or ii) popping 2 pills of b-complex every day for a month. Since I lack the discipline to do either of those, it's either benzocaine or holding the sting in for me.

--Anonymous
replies 16Dec 6, 2017 8:11 PM +00:00

The tendency to get them is genetic. Some people get them and some don't. I get them. They're a pain. Dilute peroxide works pretty well. Also, a little steroid.

--Anonymous
replies 17Dec 6, 2017 8:22 PM +00:00

Grease fire. Face-first. Now.

--Florence
replies 18Dec 6, 2017 9:31 PM +00:00

You're pretty, R18.

--Anonymous
replies 19Dec 6, 2017 9:33 PM +00:00

OP, if what you have is hoof and mouth disease, then some of these remedies may not work.

--Anonymous
replies 20Dec 6, 2017 9:44 PM +00:00

Don't perform oral on anyone until the sores heal either!

--Anonymous
replies 21Dec 7, 2017 12:15 AM +00:00

Take vitamin B suplements but if you still get them use Oralmedic. They're gone with one application.

oralmedic.com
--Anonymous
replies 22Dec 7, 2017 12:46 AM +00:00

I second the posters who recommend a vitamin B supplement. Get some rest, mine usually break out if I'm run down. Also, I like Bonjela teething gel to numb them, and Vegemite works a treat on them.

--Aussie advice
replies 23Dec 7, 2017 12:51 AM +00:00

B12 and acidophilus

--Anonymous
replies 24Dec 7, 2017 1:47 AM +00:00

Why are you such a cunt R13?

--Anonymous
replies 25Dec 7, 2017 2:47 AM +00:00

Lysine 3x per day, sores gone in 1-2 days. A nurse friend recommended it. Use warm salt water rinses until it is gone.

--Anonymous
replies 26Dec 7, 2017 2:59 AM +00:00

Wow, I have them on occasion and I never really thought to check what I can do about them beyond dipping concentrated mouthwash on them with a q-tip. Great info. But I rarely get them since I use Listerine mouthwash (mostly the cool mint one).

--Anonymous
replies 27Dec 7, 2017 3:05 AM +00:00

When I was a kid, around 7 or 8, I developed a mouth full of canker sores, that went down into the back of my mouth. I could not talk or drink and was getting dehydrated. My mom called our family doctor on a Saturday for an emergency visit. In those days, doctors knew you, and cared. I remember he wrote a prescription that was a pink liquid. I am assuming amoxicillin or such antibiotic. But it also gave me almost instant relief from the first swig, so I am assuming some sort of a numbing agent, benzocaine or something. I remember specific instructions not to swallow. It was a liquid similar Pepto Bismo. Young gayling that I was, the doctor was forever etch in my mind. He was around 35, big strong hands that firmly touched my throat, my underarms, the back of my neck with his mopish hair and steel blue-grey reassuring eyes. Later on in my younger life, another Saturday emergency for the bee stings on my back, butt and legs when I sat on a wasp nest climbing trees. This time a shot in the ass. Same steely blue-grey eyes. I made the acquaintance of a nurse through mutual friends, who was with a hoot, and a bikt of a sleep around Sally. She made the rounds of affairs with doctors, and said steely blue-eyes was the best lover. Lucky girl.

--KeepItReal
replies 28Dec 7, 2017 6:10 AM +00:00

Thanks to everyone for the helpful advice. Canker sores are what they are and I have gotten them from time to time over the years. I agree they are stress related and I’m going to try the vitamins. Meanwhile the topical suggestions sound helpful too. I’d forgotten about peroxide which I have used before. Once a long time ago, I had a prescription for viscous lidocaine which worked wonders, but I don’t think you can get that anymore. Ha, ha, I bet cocaine would work too, but I don’t have any of that either.

--OP
replies 29Dec 7, 2017 7:58 AM +00:00

2 things that helped me when I had chronic canker sores 1) folic acid supplements 2) you can buy canker covers in the drug store and those will stop the pain almost overnight and heal the sore much faster.

--Anonymous
replies 30Dec 7, 2017 8:09 AM +00:00

Here is a potion of the article on the Mayo Clinic website:

Causes

The precise cause of canker sores remains unclear, though researchers suspect that a combination of factors contributes to outbreaks, even in the same person.

Possible triggers for canker sores include:

A minor injury to your mouth from dental work, overzealous brushing, sports mishaps or an accidental cheek bite Toothpastes and mouth rinses containing sodium lauryl sulfate Food sensitivities, particularly to chocolate, coffee, strawberries, eggs, nuts, cheese, and spicy or acidic foods A diet lacking in vitamin B-12, zinc, folate (folic acid) or iron An allergic response to certain bacteria in your mouth Helicobacter pylori, the same bacteria that cause peptic ulcers Hormonal shifts during menstruation Emotional stress

Canker sores may also occur because of certain conditions and diseases, such as:

Celiac disease, a serious intestinal disorder caused by a sensitivity to gluten, a protein found in most grains Inflammatory bowel diseases, such as Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis Behcet's disease, a rare disorder that causes inflammation throughout the body, including the mouth A faulty immune system that attacks healthy cells in your mouth instead of pathogens, such as viruses and bacteria HIV/AIDS, which suppresses the immune system

Unlike cold sores, canker sores are not associated with herpes virus infections. Risk factors

Anyone can develop canker sores. But they occur more often in teens and young adults, and they're more common in females.

Often people with recurrent canker sores have a family history of the disorder. This may be due to heredity or to a shared factor in the environment, such as certain foods or allergens. Prevention

Canker sores often recur, but you may be able to reduce their frequency by following these tips:

Watch what you eat. Try to avoid foods that seem to irritate your mouth. These may include nuts, chips, pretzels, certain spices, salty foods and acidic fruits, such as pineapple, grapefruit and oranges. Avoid any foods to which you're sensitive or allergic. Choose healthy foods. To help prevent nutritional deficiencies, eat plenty of fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Follow good oral hygiene habits. Regular brushing after meals and flossing once a day can keep your mouth clean and free of foods that might trigger a sore. Use a soft brush to help prevent irritation to delicate mouth tissues, and avoid toothpastes and mouth rinses that contain sodium lauryl sulfate. Protect your mouth. If you have braces or other dental appliances, ask your dentist about orthodontic waxes to cover sharp edges. Reduce your stress. If your canker sores seem to be related to stress, learn and use stress-reduction techniques, such as meditation and guided imagery.

www.mayoclinic.org
--Tooth Fairy
replies 31Dec 7, 2017 8:54 AM +00:00

I would get them often and they can be miserable. The big difference for me was by changing and disinfecting my toothbrush regularly, (pretty simple just rinse or soak in white vinegar). I use an electric toothbrush and water collects inside the removable heads so make sure you rinse and disinfect anywhere water stands and bacteria can grow. Also, the 'citric acid' additive found in a lot of 'flavored' citrus drinks can be a nightmare for some, tho real lemon or lime juice is usually never a problem. Also, tomato sauce and chocolate if you eat over consecutive days can be a trigger. Avoiding getting them is so much easier then treating the miserable suckers.

--Anonymous
replies 32Dec 7, 2017 9:20 AM +00:00

Try extra strength Anbesol, works great.

--Anonymous
replies 33Dec 7, 2017 9:29 AM +00:00

I had several very large ones in the back of my throat a few weeks ago that my dentist had to zap with his laser. Cost me $150 but it was worth it. I was totally miserable. My dentist said he'd never seen such big canker sores.

--Anonymous
replies 34Dec 7, 2017 9:35 AM +00:00

Nobody is going to suggest that cum will make them better? Or that too much sex causes them? Is this still DL?

Just kidding. I feel sorry for all of you who are suffering. The good thing is that they get better in a few days no matter what you do. Also they are not contagious.

--RN
replies 35Dec 7, 2017 2:37 PM +00:00

I was in the hospital once and had a few painful canker sores in my mouth including the underside of my tongue towards the back. I wanted to talk to the nurse about it and she comes and says that canker sores and cold sores are the same exact thing and wouldn't listen to me when I tried to correct her. How this bitch has her job, I'll never know.

--Dex
replies 36Dec 7, 2017 3:29 PM +00:00

I've noticed that as I've gotten older I get less canker sores, they do seem to be genetic. If I do bite down on my lip or cheek, more often than not a canker sore will develop.

--Anonymous
replies 37Dec 7, 2017 10:03 PM +00:00

This thread is bringing back some bad memories. For some reason, I got these fuckers constantly as a small child (always on the gums or inside of the lip); they thankfully stopped when I got older. Even after all these years, I still remember how painful they were (Baby Orajel, despite tasting nice, barely made a dent) and how long it took for them to heal.

--Anonymous
replies 38Dec 7, 2017 10:25 PM +00:00

Sounds like herpes. Or HIV.

Have you seen a doctor, OP?

--Anonymous
replies 39Dec 7, 2017 10:34 PM +00:00

use a warm (wet) tea bag on them. the tannic acid in it soothes them. just stick one in there and let it soak in as long as you can. i found it works better than salt water rinses. good luck honey. they suck.

i was told to never use peroxide on open sores. it eats away at the tissue....

--feel better baby
replies 40Dec 7, 2017 11:44 PM +00:00

Rarely get those, but when I have, I use use liquid Campho-Phenique. Dip a Q-Tip in the Campho-Phenique, then press it hard against the canker sore for about about a minute. Don't spit your saliva out for about another two minutes (and of course, don't swallow!). After you do,, don't rinse your mouth or drink anything for awhile. Repeat a few times a day when you have a sore. Mine always began to go away after about a day.

i5.walmartimages.com
--Anonymous
replies 41Dec 7, 2017 11:56 PM +00:00

Using biotene rather than toothpaste with sodium lauryl sulfate and mouthwash with alcohol helps. The latter dry and irritate the tissues. And always rinse mouth with water after eating, if you don’t brush. Food residue can be irritating.

--Anonymous
replies 42Dec 8, 2017 12:39 AM +00:00

Rinsing my mouth with salt water - as salty as I can stand it - always gets rid of them fast.

--Anonymous
replies 43Dec 8, 2017 12:54 AM +00:00

OP instead of treating them try to figure out what is causing them. I suffered from them for a long time until I realized that Orange Juice was causing mine. If I drink a bunch of Orange Juice or eat a bag of oranges I always get a mouth ulcer. Now I rarely drink OJ or eat oranges and haven't had one in years.

In the mean time I second Alum to treat them along with Orajel to relieve the pain.

--Anonymous
replies 44Dec 8, 2017 6:41 AM +00:00
What are 'mouth ulcers' and the symptoms? I'm not being flippant; just want to know.

R10 mine were like pictured below round white sores on the inside of my mouth on the inside of the lips or cheeks, hurt like hell but would go away on their own in a day or two.

beautyhealthtips.in
--Anonymous
replies 45Dec 8, 2017 6:48 AM +00:00