Join the Bitchfest >>

The Wives Of Henry the VIII

What was wrong with these women? All the man wanted was a son. Not one of them had the presence of mind to have sex with a farm hand in the back alley?

--Forsooth
replies 17Dec 6, 2017 3:40 PM +00:00

Divorced, beheaded, died, divorced, beheaded, lived.

--Anonymous
replies 1Dec 6, 2017 3:48 PM +00:00

Ann of Cleves did all right by herself in the end all things considered.

"Divorced, beheaded, died. Divorced, beheaded, survived." [She's the second 'divorced']

--Anonymous
replies 2Dec 6, 2017 3:50 PM +00:00

For the first three, each of them had problems with fertility or delivering. For the last two he couldn't get it up. Anne of Cleves was passed over and gotten rid of.

--Anonymous
replies 3Dec 6, 2017 5:28 PM +00:00

I thought history had proven that the problem was probably Henry's and not the women.

--Anonymous
replies 4Dec 6, 2017 5:32 PM +00:00

Anne of Cleves was not "divorced."

She was annulled. And with more justification than the annulment of Katherine of Aragon afforded, since Henry and Anne apparently never had sexual relations.

--Anonymous
replies 5Dec 6, 2017 5:35 PM +00:00

Fortunately, Jane Seymour went on to have her own TV show.

--Anonymous
replies 6Dec 6, 2017 5:37 PM +00:00

OP, Anne Boleyn was falsely accused of sleeping with her brother to conceive a son, since the only living child she gave birth to was a girl.

R4, Henry was capable of fathering sons. His first wife (Catherine of Aragon) gave birth to a boy who died in infancy, & also produced two stillborn boys. Anne miscarried one or two male babies. Henry had one acknowledged illegitimate son & several other bastard boys were believed to be his offspring. He eventually did produce a male heir with his third wife, Jane Seymour (before her TV show), though Edward VI died in adolescence.

--Anonymous
replies 7Dec 6, 2017 5:40 PM +00:00
Fortunately, Jane Seymour went on to have her own TV show.

And this is why I keep coming back to DL. For little gems like that.

--Anonymous
replies 8Dec 6, 2017 5:42 PM +00:00

Henry VIII should have though if England and fucked Anne of Cleves.

Catherine Howard was fucking everybody. I wonder if Henry couldn't conceive because he couldn't get it up anymore or because Catherine caught an std that made her infertile.

--Anonymous
replies 9Dec 6, 2017 5:55 PM +00:00

He couldn't get it up.

--Anonymous
replies 10Dec 6, 2017 5:58 PM +00:00
OP, Anne Boleyn was falsely accused of sleeping with her brother to conceive a son, since the only living child she gave birth to was a girl.

It's "the whore, Anne Boleyn:.

--My wife, the actress, Coral Browne
replies 11Dec 6, 2017 6:02 PM +00:00

Obviously the problem was with Henry, not his wives.

--Anonymous
replies 12Dec 6, 2017 9:40 PM +00:00

Who’s Anne Berlin, R7???

--O. Bourdreaux
replies 13Dec 6, 2017 9:57 PM +00:00

Poor Anne of Cleves. Henry VIII told an associate that not only was she ugly but she smelled, which was rich coming from a greasy walking pustule like him.

For centuries, Anne of Cleves has been cast as a hapless figure who so repelled Henry VIII that he was unable to consummate their marriage. Yet in truth she was a popular, pragmatic woman who fou
History Extra
--Anonymous
replies 14Dec 6, 2017 10:03 PM +00:00

Anne of Cleves did okay by Henry, in the long run. He annulled the marriage and gave her a lot of money and land, and had the court refer to her as "The King's Sister". She was friends with Henry's children as they succeeded him, and apparently lived rich, happy, and independent until her death. Sweet deal for a woman of her times!

As to Henry's problems with breeding a successor... this is a totally unspoorted theory but I found it interesting. Apparently there's a rare medical syndrove, where men have some kind of abnormal chemistry that affects fertility. If a woman has a child by such a man she develops some sort of immune response or allergic reaction to his DNA, so that after she's finished one pregnancy by him her body starts to reject subsequent fetuses. The doctor who proposed this theory pointed out that several women had borne Henry one healthy child and then suffered miscarriages or stillbirths. Well it's a theory, and would certainly support the consensus that "the problem was with Henry".

--Anonymous
replies 15Dec 6, 2017 10:19 PM +00:00

They knew it but is was a sin.

--Anonymous
replies 16Dec 6, 2017 10:27 PM +00:00

R15 I was about to post the same thing. The whole theory was laid out in this book -- I found it pretty plausible.

I have been corresponding with Kyra Kramer for a while now and so was delighted when she asked me to read and review her book “Blood Will Tell”. In the book, Kyra puts forward the theor…
Tudor Book Reviews
--Anonymous
replies 17Dec 7, 2017 2:08 AM +00:00