Join the Bitchfest >>

U.N. Security Council likely to meet Friday on Jerusalem: diplomats

AP BREAKING: Palestinian president: Trump announcement on Jerusalem is 'declaration of withdrawal' from peace process.
REUTERS: 8 countries, including France, Egypt, and the UK, have requested an emergency meeting of the UN Security Council over Trump's Jerusalem decision.

UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - The United Nations Security Council is likely to meet on Friday at the request of eight states on the 15-member body over U.S. President Donald Trump’s decision to recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel, diplomats said on Wednesday.

The request for U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres to publicly brief the Security Council meeting was made by France, Bolivia, Egypt, Italy, Senegal, Sweden, Britain and Uruguay, said diplomats.

Trump abruptly reversed decades of U.S. policy on Wednesday, generating outrage from Palestinians and defying warnings of Middle East unrest. Trump also plans to move the U.S. embassy to Jerusalem from Tel Aviv.

Israel considers the city its eternal and indivisible capital and wants all embassies based there. Palestinians want the capital of an independent Palestinian state to be in the city’s eastern sector, which Israel captured in a 1967 war and annexed in a move never recognized internationally.

A U.N. Security Council resolution adopted in December last year “underlines that it will not recognize any changes to the 4 June 1967 lines, including with regard to Jerusalem, other than those agreed by the parties through negotiations.”

That resolution was approved with 14 votes in favor and an abstention by former U.S. President Barack Obama’s administration, which defied heavy pressure from long-time ally Israel and Trump for Washington to wield its veto.

After Trump spoke on Wednesday, U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres told reporters: “I have consistently spoken out against any unilateral measures that would jeopardize the prospect of peace for Israelis and Palestinians.”

“In this moment of great anxiety, I want to make it clear: There is no alternative to the two-state solution. There is no Plan B,” he said. “I will do everything in my power to support the Israeli and Palestinian leaders to return to meaningful negotiations.”

U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley praised Trump’s decision as “the just and right thing to do.”

The United Nations Security Council is likely to meet on Friday at the request of eight states on the 15-member body over U.S. President Donald Trump's decision to recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel, diplomats said on Wednesday.
U.S.
--Anonymous
replies 6Dec 6, 2017 12:45 PM +00:00
Pope Francis challenged Trump on his Jerusalem decision
Pope Francis, speaking hours before U.S. President Donald Trump's announcement on Jerusalem, called on Wednesday for the city's "status quo" to be respected, saying new tension in the Middle East would further inflame world conflicts.
The pope delivered a similar message in an Instagram post following his statements, in which he the sacredness of the city to all three Abrahamic religions, Judaism, Christianity, and Islam and said "it has a special vocation for peace."

How many times has the Pope condemned something Trump has said or done, I've lost count.

"I make a heartfelt appeal so that all commit themselves to respecting the status quo of the city, in conformity with the pertinent resolutions of the UN."
Business Insider
--Anonymous
replies 1Dec 6, 2017 12:53 PM +00:00
U.N., European Union and Pope Criticize Trump’s Jerusalem Announcement
ROME — Pope Francis said, “I cannot remain silent.” The United Nations secretary general spoke of his “great anxiety.” The European Union expressed “serious concern.” American allies like Britain, France, Germany and Italy all declared it a mistake.
A chorus of international leaders criticized the Trump administration’s decision on Wednesday to officially recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel as a dangerous disruption that contravenes several United Nations resolutions and could inflame one of the world’s thorniest conflicts.
Secretary General António Guterres and Pope Francis both expressed alarm that the announcement would provoke new tensions in the Holy City, which is revered by Jews, Christians and Muslims.
Within minutes of Mr. Trump’s speech, in which he said the American Embassy would be moved from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem, Mr. Guterres delivered what amounted to a diplomatic rebuke.
Reading a statement outside the Security Council chambers at United Nations headquarters in New York, Mr. Guterres criticized “any unilateral measures that would jeopardize the prospect of peace for Israelis and Palestinians,” underscoring the administration’s departure from decades of American policy.
“Jerusalem is a final-status issue that must be resolved through direct negotiations between the two parties on the basis of the relevant Security Council and General Assembly resolutions, taking into account the legitimate concerns of both the Palestinian and the Israeli sides,” Mr. Guterres said.
“In this moment of great anxiety, I want to make it clear: there is no alternative to the two-state solution,” he said. “There is no Plan B.”
In Rome, Pope Francis prayed that Jerusalem’s status be preserved and needless conflict avoided.
“I cannot remain silent about my deep concern for the situation that has developed in recent days,” Francis said at his weekly general audience at the Vatican. “And at the same time, I wish to make a heartfelt appeal to ensure that everyone is committed to respecting the status quo of the city, in accordance with the relevant resolutions of the United Nations.”
“Jerusalem is a unique city,” he said, “sacred to Jews, Christians and Muslims, where the Holy Places for the respective religions are venerated, and it has a special vocation to peace.”
In especially strong language, the pope added, “I pray to the Lord that such identity be preserved and strengthened for the benefit of the Holy Land, the Middle East and the entire world, and that wisdom and prudence prevail, to avoid adding new elements of tension in a world already shaken and scarred by many cruel conflicts.”
The European Union’s top diplomat, Federica Mogherini, expressed concern about “the repercussions this may have on the prospect of peace.”
In a statement, she reiterated the E.U.’s position that Jerusalem should be a future capital of two states, Israeli and Palestinian, and that embassies should not be moved there until the city’s final status was resolved. She cited a 1980 United Nations Security Council resolution that condemned Israel’s attempted annexation of East Jerusalem as a violation of international law.
She called on actors in the region “to show calm and restraint in order to prevent any escalation.”
The warnings by the pope, the United Nations and the European Union spoke to a broad fear that Mr. Trump’s announcement would be the death knell for an already moribund peace process and would pull the plug on a two-state solution.

continued at link

Leaders including the pope and the head of the United Nations expressed alarm at President Trump’s declaration on Jerusalem.
www.nytimes.com
--R1 (sorry to hijack your thread, OP)
replies 2Dec 6, 2017 12:56 PM +00:00

crap, sorry about the bold

--R2
replies 3Dec 6, 2017 12:57 PM +00:00

On June 4 , 2008 – one day after announcing he had secured the required number of delegates to win the Democratic nomination – Obama delivered a speech at the annual American Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC) policy conference.

Any negotiated agreement between Israel and the Palestinian Authority, he said, “must preserve Israel’s identity as a Jewish state with secure, recognized, defensible borders. And Jerusalem will remain the capital of Israel and it must remain undivided.”

The pledge brought a standing ovation from the 7,000-plus AIPAC audience, praise from pro-Israel organizations in the U.S. – and an Arab outcry.

--------------------------

Bill Clinton declared in February 1992, at the height of the Democratic primaries, that he supported recognizing Jerusalem as Israel’s capital, a step that would alter U.S. policy.

Later, during the general election campaign, Clinton attacked President George H.W. Bush for having “repeatedly challenged Israel’s sovereignty over a united Jerusalem.” He promised that he and running mate Al Gore would “support Jerusalem as the capital of the State of Israel.”

--Anonymous
replies 4Dec 6, 2017 12:59 PM +00:00

I'm not sure why you posted that, R4. Now is not the time to move the capital and there is a very good chance the only reason it's happening now is to pander to his base. I wouldn't be surprised if there was money involved as well. First he divided our nation, not he's creating an even bigger division in the Middle East.

Every President since 1995 -- Presidents Clinton, Bush and Obama -- has declined to move the embassy, citing national security interests. Every six months, the President has used the presidential waiver to circumvent the embassy move.
Donald Trump is expected to declare Jerusalem as the capital of Israel within days. Here's why the move is so controversial.
CNN
--Anonymous
replies 5Dec 6, 2017 1:11 PM +00:00

Trump wants war to divert attention and Israel wants any perceived enemy wiped out. This is the perfect way to get Muslims livid, and then anything they do will be considered an "act of terror" by sanctimonious and hypocritical USRael, after which USRael will once more feel "justified" in yet again going after Israel's enemies using America's military might.

--Rinse & repeat
replies 6Dec 6, 2017 1:47 PM +00:00