replies 72Dec 6, 2017 2:48 AM +00:00

#LOL

--Anonymous
replies 1Dec 6, 2017 2:49 AM +00:00

They called it "The Silence Breakers"

Why is Taylor Swift in it?

--Anonymous
replies 2Dec 6, 2017 2:50 AM +00:00

Will see if Trump will actually attack this choice and make it about himself.

Although I think someone might have somehow convinced him to stop tweeting -- his only recent tweets have been more of the announcement type.

--Anonymous
replies 3Dec 6, 2017 3:10 AM +00:00

OMFG Taylor Swift managed to weasel her way onto this cover!! Incredible.

--Anonymous
replies 4Dec 6, 2017 3:17 AM +00:00

A bit low effort, but understandable.

--Anonymous
replies 5Dec 6, 2017 3:21 AM +00:00

Swift won in court for a groping case. She was all about helping give voice to victims as reason why she sued and made the incident public. Though unlike the other cases, AFAIK hers isn't exactly a power trip more like a perv with wandering hands.

--Anonymous
replies 6Dec 6, 2017 3:29 AM +00:00

Talk to me when she finally denounces her white supremacist fan base, R6.

--Anonymous
replies 7Dec 6, 2017 3:32 AM +00:00

Terrible cover. I wonder if Rose McGowan is pissed that she's not included on the cover.

--Anonymous
replies 8Dec 6, 2017 3:35 AM +00:00

I think Time left off some obvious voices...

--Anthony Rapp
replies 9Dec 6, 2017 3:36 AM +00:00

Do you know the women who struggle most with sexual harassment at work? Poor women. Women who have no safety net. Women with few financial resources. Women living paycheck to paycheck. Women who have to put up with sexual harassment to keep clothes on their kids and food on the table.

They won't complain, because they have too much to lose.

--sad truth
replies 10Dec 6, 2017 3:42 AM +00:00

Rose McGowan and her #ROSEARMY not included?! The OUTRAGE!

Time, GURL, you in danger!

--Anonymous
replies 11Dec 6, 2017 3:51 AM +00:00

She should be R8, Rose McGowan started this all. And no Alyssa Milano?!!

--Anonymous
replies 12Dec 6, 2017 4:00 AM +00:00

And no male victims? Oops!

--Kevin Spacey
replies 13Dec 6, 2017 4:00 AM +00:00

Ewwwwwwww...Taylor Swift made the Time cover? Yeah, I'm not buying this one.

--Anonymous
replies 14Dec 6, 2017 4:02 AM +00:00

R14 = Kanye West

--Anonymous
replies 15Dec 6, 2017 4:04 AM +00:00

A neat trick to make you forget that TIME itself is part of the power structure that created and enabled the sexual harassment by powerful men in the arts and media.

--Anonymous
replies 16Dec 6, 2017 4:04 AM +00:00

After what the other women went through, it's perverse to include that Swift white supremacist as well. But she looks kinda piggish so I'm fine with it because I know she's fuming right now.

--Anonymous
replies 17Dec 6, 2017 4:07 AM +00:00

I guess they decided they need to include at least one Trump supporter on the cover, R17, for parity's sake.

--Anonymous
replies 18Dec 6, 2017 4:10 AM +00:00

As long as it wasn't the demented yam, don't much care who is on the cover.

--Anonymous
replies 19Dec 6, 2017 4:12 AM +00:00

Good point r7, when are you going to denounce your white supremacist followers Taylor?

The twelfth of never would be my guess.

--Anonymous
replies 20Dec 6, 2017 4:17 AM +00:00

It may be victims like Swift who will be listened to more because they are popular - maybe her crowd are the people that need to hear this and take this in the most.

--Anonymous
replies 21Dec 6, 2017 4:18 AM +00:00

Has Hillary blamed Swift yet?

--Anonymous
replies 22Dec 6, 2017 4:19 AM +00:00

I blocked the swift haters. They can go shoot up a pizza joint like all the other crazies

--Anonymous
replies 23Dec 6, 2017 4:23 AM +00:00

I'm not a "swift hater", but r23 seems very lost.

Had to double check that this was a comment actually written on the DL. How old are you?

--Anonymous
replies 24Dec 6, 2017 4:25 AM +00:00

Excerpt from the actual Time article:

In a windowless room at a two-story soundstage in San Francisco's Mission District, a group of women from different worlds met for the first time. Judd, every bit the movie star in towering heels, leaned in to shake hands with Isabel Pascual, a woman from Mexico who works picking strawberries and asked to use a pseudonym to protect her family. Beside her, Susan Fowler, a former Uber engineer, eight months pregnant, spoke softly with Adama Iwu, a corporate lobbyist in Sacramento. A young hospital worker who had flown in from Texas completed the circle. She too is a victim of sexual harassment but was there anonymously, she said, as an act of solidarity to represent all those who could not speak out.
From a distance, these women could not have looked more different. Their ages, their families, their religions and their ethnicities were all a world apart. Their incomes differed not by degree but by universe: Iwu pays more in rent each month than Pascual makes in two months.
But on that November morning, what separated them was less important than what brought them together: a shared experience. Over the course of six weeks, TIME interviewed dozens of people representing at least as many industries, all of whom had summoned extraordinary personal courage to speak out about sexual harassment at their jobs. They often had eerily similar stories to share.
In almost every case, they described not only the vulgarity of the harassment itself—years of lewd comments, forced kisses, opportunistic gropes—but also the emotional and psychological fallout from those advances. Almost everybody described wrestling with a palpable sense of shame. Had she somehow asked for it? Could she have deflected it? Was she making a big deal out of nothing?
"I thought, What just happened? Why didn't I react?" says the anonymous hospital worker who fears for her family's livelihood should her story come out in her small community. "I kept thinking, Did I do something, did I say something, did I look a certain way to make him think that was O.K.?" It's a poisonous, useless thought, she adds, but how do you avoid it? She remembers the shirt she was wearing that day. She can still feel the heat of her harasser's hands on her body.
Millions of people responded with the hashtag #MeToo when Milano urged them to post their experiences on Twitter.
‘It's affected me on a cellular level to hear all these stories. I don't know if I'll ever be the same. I have not stopped crying. I look at my daughter and think, Please, let this be worth it. Please, let it be that my daughter never has to go through anything like this.’
The voices that launched the movement against sexual harassment
Time
--Anonymous
replies 25Dec 6, 2017 4:30 AM +00:00

DL called this one too. On one of the many previous threads, DL predicted the sexual harassment victim would be the person of the year.

--Anonymous
replies 26Dec 6, 2017 4:32 AM +00:00

Thank you r25, I don't know why r2 linked to something other than Time.

--Anonymous
replies 27Dec 6, 2017 4:40 AM +00:00

Taylor Swift is now a two-time Person of the Year—2006 and 2017.

--Anonymous
replies 28Dec 6, 2017 4:47 AM +00:00
I blocked the swift haters.

Why?

--Anonymous
replies 29Dec 6, 2017 4:50 AM +00:00

I have a retired friend who worked in social services for the elderly.

She jumped on the #MeToo bandwagon because she said one or two of the old coots she counseled hit on her when she was working.

I told her, "That doesn't count," because they were her clients and she could walk away at the first hint of impropriety. Her clients could not affect her livelihood because she would be paid whether she counseled them or not.

She got huffy.

I think she just wants to horn in on this recent bandwagon.

--Anonymous
replies 30Dec 6, 2017 4:54 AM +00:00

If time Time wanted to make “the victim” it’s “person of the year,” there were many groups much more victimized than sexually harassed women.

Sexual harassment is annoying, but what about gay men who are physically harassed at work daily, who don’t have the same opportunities as straight men and women in employment, adoption rights, etc?

When women are sexually harassed at work by straight asshole men, they actually benefit from it. When I was low-man-on-the-totem-pole at work, I wished I could flirt with the big bosses like my female equals. Every time the boss was sexually inappropriate with one, they inched their way closer to a special favor (a promotion, raise, time off) and they knew it. The bithces encouraged it. The broey-straight-dude peers of mine also got close to the bosses by taking fucking those same women. The gays and lesbians (and unattractive women) have to work so much harder to climb the ranks.

And there are many groups victimized more than the gays!

Time is just capitalizing on the novelty of calling out sexual harassment, which really just represents normal disgusting heterosexual society. I have very little sympathy for the “victims” and enjoy seeing the perpetrators being taken down.

--Anonymous
replies 31Dec 6, 2017 4:54 AM +00:00

I didn't recognize Swift on that cover. Her face is different, or is the hair? Anyway, nice job to shoo her in to sell more copies. On twitter Asia Argento said she refused to be on that cover because she doesn't want to talk about this anymore.

--Anonymous
replies 32Dec 6, 2017 5:02 AM +00:00

Taylor in an earlier interview spoke very highly of Weinstein, saying what an honor it was to work with him for a movie, and she can't say a word against him now? Kind of odd since she benefitted with her shit songs being in a movie, and worked with Meryl on that shit movie The Giver.

r24 her cult-like fans google her name obsessively and invade any message board because they can't handle a bad word said about her. Best to block the little losers.

--Anonymous
replies 33Dec 6, 2017 5:10 AM +00:00

Why didn't Time call me?

--Anthony Rapp
replies 34Dec 6, 2017 5:22 AM +00:00

^you're just an ugly white cis-man, FUCK YOU AND YOUR PRIVILEGE!!

--you're also a twink whore, btw
replies 35Dec 6, 2017 6:04 AM +00:00
Do you know the women who struggle most with sexual harassment at work? Poor women. Women who have no safety net. Women with few financial resources. Women living paycheck to paycheck. Women who have to put up with sexual harassment to keep clothes on their kids and food on the table.

Yes, and if you bothered to read the article you'd know they were also interviewed.

--Anonymous
replies 36Dec 6, 2017 6:10 AM +00:00

Rose must be fucking FURIOUS that she didn't get all the glory!!!!

--The shards of broken pottery in Rose's house
replies 37Dec 6, 2017 6:12 AM +00:00
On twitter Asia Argento said she refused to be on that cover because she doesn't want to talk about this anymore.

She refused the same way Trump turned down the cover.

--Never happened
replies 38Dec 6, 2017 6:15 AM +00:00
A neat trick to make you forget that TIME itself is part of the power structure that created and enabled the sexual harassment by powerful men in the arts and media.

Thanks for weighing in, SJW. Now go back to class... I think the bell's about to ring.

--Anonymous
replies 39Dec 6, 2017 6:16 AM +00:00

I don't see them on the cover, R36

--Anonymous
replies 40Dec 6, 2017 6:30 AM +00:00

Who said we were just discussing the cover?

--Anonymous
replies 41Dec 6, 2017 6:33 AM +00:00

And yes, they are on the cover.

--Anonymous
replies 42Dec 6, 2017 7:17 AM +00:00
Swift won in court for a groping case. She was all about helping give voice to victims

Ke$ha had a much more harrowing case which actually affected her livelihood. SHE should be on the cover, not that hypocrite.

--Anonymous
replies 43Dec 6, 2017 7:23 AM +00:00

Glad Rose McGowan didn't make the cover. She didn't start this but she was more than happy to take the credit when other, braver women told their story. Rose took money from Weinstein in exchange for silence. She was in the process of negotiating even more money when RF wrote the story about OTHER women. Rose McGowan is just in this to promote herself and her book. Rose McGowan supported a pedophile with no problem.

--Anonymous
replies 44Dec 6, 2017 7:33 AM +00:00

They should have put Kesha on the cover. She is the one who has had serious backlash for speaking out and fighting her accuser. Swift had a team of lawyers sue the guy. She didn't struggle. She didn't fight.

Shame on Time Magazine.

--Anonymous
replies 45Dec 6, 2017 7:33 AM +00:00
When women are sexually harassed at work by straight asshole men, they actually benefit from it. When I was low-man-on-the-totem-pole at work, I wished I could flirt with the big bosses like my female equals.

Fuck.Off

--Anonymous
replies 46Dec 6, 2017 8:22 AM +00:00

R46,

Are you one of those unintelligent, talentless beasts who uses her sexuality to get men to support her ambitions? Based on your reply, you don’t have much else goin’ for ya.

--R31
replies 47Dec 6, 2017 8:44 AM +00:00

R47 Hmm sounds like you're projecting.

--Anonymous
replies 48Dec 6, 2017 8:55 AM +00:00

Let's see what happened this year. The #1 deadliest shooting in US history and the #5 deadliest shooting occurred within a month of each other. ISIL was largely driven out of Syria. Macron elected President of France. Jeremy Corbyn stunned the UK political class by ending May's majority gov't. Disability activists helped kill the ACA repeal. Jaghmeet Singh became first non-white person to lead a major Canadian party. Privileged white women jumped on a social media bandwagon to complain about men putting their hands on these fragile flowers' thighs 30 years ago.

Guess which TIME thought was worthy to put on cover after being rejected by D. Trump.

--Anonymous
replies 49Dec 6, 2017 8:56 AM +00:00
Macron elected President of France

I guess a white male politician managing to get elected is a much tougher hill to climb than the so-called "fragile flowers"//

--Anonymous
replies 50Dec 6, 2017 9:07 AM +00:00

Not Tim O'Tay?

--Anonymous
replies 51Dec 6, 2017 9:12 AM +00:00

R50 I don't like Macron, but it's undeniable he actually accomplished something, including destroying a 2 party system that had been in place for decades, unlike the weeping willows awarded the honor.

--Anonymous
replies 52Dec 6, 2017 9:22 AM +00:00

lots of disgruntled gay men on this thread.

--Anonymous
replies 53Dec 6, 2017 9:25 AM +00:00

Nope R48, not projecting at all. More like REFLECTING on how society works. I made it in my own merit and am very proud of my accomplishments. I’m still very young, doing exactly what I want to do, and am the top of my field (a very competitive one that most people drop out of).

Nice try

--R47/31
replies 54Dec 6, 2017 9:28 AM +00:00

I definitely know serious sexual harassment takes place but some things like thigh and butt touching should be handled by the women at that time. It sounds like some cases are a man being attracted to a woman and hitting on her. A lot of relationships start that way. People do date and marry coworkers.

--Anonymous
replies 55Dec 6, 2017 9:34 AM +00:00

Victor Salva's victim should have been included on the cover. He's one of the original silence breakers.

--Anonymous
replies 56Dec 6, 2017 10:14 AM +00:00

I hadn’t noticed Swift before but her presence has ruined it all for me. A white suprematist and a Trump supporter. Disgusted. Won’t be buying.

--Anonymous
replies 57Dec 6, 2017 10:24 AM +00:00

Those hussies deserved it, dangling those long, lovely legs, and exposing their generous decolletage to these weak, defenseless men.

--Angela Lansbury
replies 58Dec 6, 2017 11:08 AM +00:00

Who the fuck buys magazines anymore?

--Anonymous
replies 59Dec 6, 2017 11:27 AM +00:00

R49 Gets it. I have very little sympathy for the Rose McGowans of the world.

--Anonymous
replies 60Dec 6, 2017 12:17 PM +00:00

Who are the other three women (besides Judd and Swift?)

(I know it is probably inside the thread but I'm busy.)

--Anonymous
replies 61Dec 6, 2017 3:58 PM +00:00

It's clear that the magazine still wants to sell, hence Swift on the cover. What's problematic is that while the focus is on the "silence breakers," Swift didn't really break her silence on the sexual harassment issue but was forced to do so when the man sued her.

--Anonymous
replies 62Dec 6, 2017 9:28 PM +00:00

Now what's on TayTay's list? Campaigning for the Nobel Prize Literature Award?

--Anonymous
replies 63Dec 6, 2017 9:28 PM +00:00

R61

The magazine's cover portrait includes strawberry picker Isabel Pascual, lobbyist Adama Iwu and former Uber engineer Susan Fowler along with Ashley Judd and Taylor Swift.

--Anonymous
replies 64Dec 7, 2017 3:25 AM +00:00

Yep R10, I was one of those women. Was terrified of ending up homeless. Never had kids because of this very reason. Then I got partnered. It took years but that cloud has finally lifted way off my head. Those were terrible times. And yes, you put up with a lot of shit - and still I didn't have the worst of it.

--Anonymous
replies 65Dec 7, 2017 3:39 AM +00:00

Macron was sent and paid for by the banks to do their work, wake up. He's a very smart, ambitious, cut-throat, focussed, hard-working man, but still he's just a pawn to usher in a new form of social engineering.

--off topic
replies 66Dec 7, 2017 3:43 AM +00:00

I despise Donald Trump, but considering every fucking conversation has been about him for the last year, he...unfortunately...like it or not...is the man of the year.

--Anonymous
replies 67Dec 7, 2017 3:45 AM +00:00

Yep R55, you're in the middle of an informal meeting with the Head of Law, two VIP from outside and the Head of Law touches you (you're her secretary) - what are you going to do, shout at her in front of all these people? Lose your job? I did touch her back exactly the way she touched me, like "I've got this", and she looked taken aback. Never tried that shit again.

--Anonymous
replies 68Dec 7, 2017 3:45 AM +00:00

2011 The Protester 2002 The Whistleblowers 1993 The Peacemakers

--Anonymous
replies 69Dec 7, 2017 3:49 AM +00:00

Macron??! His poll numbers are worse than Trump. He’s gone by the next election. He’s putting people out on the street. The only reason why he won was because he was running against a friggin Nazi. Anyone could win in that matchup.

--Anonymous
replies 70Dec 7, 2017 3:57 AM +00:00

Rose must be pretty scared right now. Her moment has passed, and that Times cover is a major slap down. I wouldn't mind betting she was invited to be photographed with Ashley and the others, but wouldn't share the limelight.

--Anonymous
replies 71Dec 7, 2017 5:39 AM +00:00

r71, keep plucking that chicken you jealous ass

--Anonymous
replies 72Dec 7, 2017 1:18 PM +00:00