Join the Bitchfest >>

Exercise Advice Please

Hey everyone. Asking for some advice on good ways I can exercise, mostly to lose weight, gaining muscle isn't as important. I used to be quite fit in college, I was constantly walking all over campus and even into town (didn't have a car). I have been working a corporate, sedentary desk job for 4 years now and I'm getting pretty chubby.

What's the best exercise regiment that's flexible? I considered looking for a rowing team in my area but I work long, unpredictable hours, and can't make the commitment. I also sometimes get home at like 8 or so and don't have time to cook, which makes me turn to fast food. Any ideas for quick easy healthy meals? Really anything is appreciated. I have basically no experience with any workout regimen since I used to be able to stay lean without one. I have some experience with weight lifting, but not a ton. I have heard good things about Insanity and P90x. Are they worth it?

--Anonymous
replies 40Dec 5, 2017 3:53 AM +00:00

The real key to losing weight is what you eat.

It isn't magic. Take in fewer calories. Take the sugar and empty carbs from your diet.

--Anonymous
replies 1Dec 5, 2017 4:15 AM +00:00

Not sure I fully get what carbs are empty but I have a fair amount of beer. Probably about a six pack a week on average. That would be hard to cut out since all my friends drink. Would that make a dramatic difference R1?

--Anonymous
replies 2Dec 5, 2017 4:21 AM +00:00

DHEA, 5 cups green tea a day, plus 30 repetitions each: Free weight curls (no less than 25 lbs. each) and lunges. Roman Chair hyperextensions, ab tower lifts. Walking. Stair climbing. Get a cheapo, portable stair climber for your bedroom or office that you can use while online at home. Have your desk area raised to accommodate it. Get a Roman Chair for home.

--Anonymous
replies 3Dec 5, 2017 4:21 AM +00:00

R3 Obviously, don't take the supplement if you take any meds that it might interfere with.

--Anonymous
replies 4Dec 5, 2017 4:22 AM +00:00

R3 Is just for minimal activity. If you're training for something or want to seriously lift, obviously you'll need to follow a more intense and specific plan.

--R3
replies 5Dec 5, 2017 4:23 AM +00:00

walk around the block

--Anonymous
replies 6Dec 5, 2017 4:23 AM +00:00

Also, I find the Roman Chair soothing, even meditative and can close my eyes and feel like I can specifically pinpoint where my strengths and weaknesses are in the ab region but if you have back issues, be very careful with it. No throwing (though that should go without saying for every activity you do on exercise gear).

R6 Is right. Just get out and walk. Get in a habit of going out to walk to process thoughts of the day.

--R3
replies 7Dec 5, 2017 4:27 AM +00:00

When I say cheapo, I mean you can get a portable stair climber online for less than $80.

--R3
replies 8Dec 5, 2017 4:29 AM +00:00

OK so if you are going to drink beer, then that means NO breads, pastries, potatoes,etc . Basically protein (fish, chicken) and vegetables

--Anonymous
replies 9Dec 5, 2017 4:32 AM +00:00

I mean 6 beers a week isn't that much.

But yes, "empty carbs" refer to any carbs that have been processed so that they aren't whole grains anymore.

Limit the amount of carbs in your diet, and when you do eat them, make them whole grains.

You say you go to fast food? Those french fries you are having? Empty carbs. And god I hope you aren't drinking sodas with all those empty carbs.

--Anonymous
replies 10Dec 5, 2017 4:37 AM +00:00

Also, having a bowl of fresh salsa and chickpeas in your fridge can fill you up on the go and give you enough energy to keep moving.

- 1 can cooked chickpeas, drained' - 1 can golden corn, drained - 1 can cooked black beans, drained - 1 finely chopped tomato - 1 finely chopped Spanish onion - 1 finely chopped green pepper - 1 finely chopped red pepper - 10 strawberries finely chopped - 1/2 cup Lime juice - 1/4 cup dried cilantro - Spinkle cumin, salt and pepper to taste - Teaspoon honey - 1/2 cup Crumble of bleu cheese if you like it

Use this as lunch, breakfast burrito filler or a dinner before working out. It's a great filler, good "bang" for caloric "buck", with a lot of taste, Should last most of the week (it should keep at least four days before it gets soggy). Get some spinach wraps and make a wrap out of it. Add a couple of chunks of roasted mat, if you like. You don't have to obsess with how much of it you eat because you'll usually be satisfied after 2 cups of it. And it's a good replacement for carb binges, if that's your problem.

--Anonymous
replies 11Dec 5, 2017 4:40 AM +00:00

R11 [meat] not "mat". I do not suggest consuming roasted gym mat, though I'm guessing it would be a superior gut filler to roasted meat. Though not without compilations.

--R11
replies 12Dec 5, 2017 4:42 AM +00:00

Hey R11, not OP, but thanks for that recipe!!!!

--Anonymous
replies 13Dec 5, 2017 4:45 AM +00:00
10 strawberries finely chopped

R11 Is the above correct? Strawberries?

--Another thanx for the recipe
replies 14Dec 5, 2017 4:47 AM +00:00

and Big , tall glasses of Metamucil 2xday to keep it all coming out in big voluminous dumps

--Anonymous
replies 15Dec 5, 2017 4:51 AM +00:00

R14 Yes! The strawberries add an interesting kick. It's not my idea, I think I read it on a grocery store recipe card once.

R15 Actually, Metamucil does help to stay feeling full and keep things moving on cue.

--Anonymous
replies 16Dec 5, 2017 4:57 AM +00:00

OP, it’s a shame you can’t row. It got me in shape very quickly some years ago, and it’s fun.

--Anonymous
replies 17Dec 5, 2017 4:58 AM +00:00

Thanx again R16.

--Anonymous
replies 18Dec 5, 2017 4:58 AM +00:00

R18 You're welcome!

--Anonymous
replies 19Dec 5, 2017 4:59 AM +00:00

R17 I love rowing, too. That's another soothingly rhythmic exercise that's good for unwinding the mind. A rowing machine art home might be a good investment for op.

--Plus, sitting but moving!
replies 20Dec 5, 2017 5:00 AM +00:00

R20 "...[at] home..."

--Anonymous
replies 21Dec 5, 2017 5:00 AM +00:00

Walk and bicycle every day, every where. Stop eating white - sugar, rice, potatoes, beans - because they fuel the desire for more sugar (go brown). Measure your portions so that you don't overeat.

--Anonymous
replies 22Dec 5, 2017 5:08 AM +00:00

Thanks guys, this has all been great advice! I really appreciate it. I'm also sad rowing wouldn't work. I rowed freshman year of college and loved it. A rowing machine may be a good option if I can find on on the cheap.

--OP
replies 23Dec 5, 2017 5:12 AM +00:00

Cut out all fast food. Stock your fridge/freezer with chicken breasts, fish and lots of veg and fruit. Steaming vegetable and baking the fish/chicken with a little olive oil and garlic in the oven really takes little effort. Make sure you never have bread, pasta, rice or potatoes in the house.

Drink a lot of water. Quite often you can feel hungry but are simply dehydrated.

Walk everywhere you can. Always use stairs. Try a moderately lengthy walk at least twice a week ( on days off ? ).

Get some kettlebells. Home work out 3 times a week. You can do it first thing in the morning or while watching tv at night.

--Anonymous
replies 24Dec 5, 2017 5:14 AM +00:00

Eat significantly less and lift weight.

Cardio increases appetite and makes you fat. ...and whatever you do avoid chicken breasts and steamed vegetables. If you eat this you will lose your will to live.

--Anonymous
replies 25Dec 5, 2017 5:17 AM +00:00

OP, why no weight lifting? It leans you out much quicker than cardio.

--Anonymous
replies 26Dec 5, 2017 5:44 AM +00:00

R26 I'm open to it, but I would have no idea what I'm doing. And there are so many free weights and machines. When I rowed in college we did squats and and cable pulls sometimes and that's all I know how to do. I'd like to avoid spending money on a trainer if possible but do you think weight lifting would actually be the best way to get leaner?

--OP
replies 27Dec 5, 2017 5:57 AM +00:00

Are there any hiking trails near you Op? It's usually more interesting than walking around the block. I've been hiking for several years now mostly in the Catskills, Adirondacks and White Mountains.

--Anonymous
replies 28Dec 5, 2017 6:26 AM +00:00

Yes actually R28. I live in Central CT. Ive done hiking for dates but is it feasible with winter coming on?

--OP
replies 29Dec 5, 2017 7:18 AM +00:00

Walking in the snow is very nice.

The problem is you do not walk and you eat carbs and sugar and drink.

--Anonymous
replies 30Dec 5, 2017 7:22 AM +00:00

Look into the 5BX exercise plan for men. It was developed by the Royal Canadian Armed Forces. The 5BX Plan is composed of six charts arranged in progression. Each chart is composed of five exercises which are always performed in the same order and in the same maximum time limit, but, as you progress from chart to chart, there are slight changes in each basic exercise with a gradual demand for more effort.bx

You want to look more like Justin Trudeau then a sedentary demented rolypoly poop sack, right?

Offsite Link
--Anonymous
replies 31Dec 5, 2017 7:23 AM +00:00

I'm just south of Hartford, Op. Hiked most of CT and currently working on the Metacomet Trail. Tried hiking last winter in the snow with mixed results. I'm ok with microspikes but kept tripping over myself with snowshoes. The problem this time of year is the leaves because if the trail is not well marked you lose the trail. I use a gps and map on my ipad to keep me on track.

--R28
replies 32Dec 5, 2017 8:14 AM +00:00

Can you do things like walk to the supermarket and post office in normal boots?

--Anonymous
replies 33Dec 5, 2017 8:20 AM +00:00

OP, we’re all giving you different ideas, which is good, but a bit much when starting out again after a long spell of inactivity.

If you haven’t been active for a while, start off simple.

Week 1: walk 15 minutes everyday.

Week 2: Walk 30 minutes everyday.

Week 3: Walk 45 minutes daily.

Week 4: Walk 60 minutes daily.

Keep up the 60 minutes per day, even on weekends, for a month. So the last week of the 15 minutes incremental step up, plus an additional 4 week’s. That’s 5 weeks of walking one hour per day. I recommend doing this on a treadmill. You’re in a cold winter climate, and the cold will probably discourage you. Besides, you want to prevent any potential for slipping and falling on ice.

Don’t change your diet terribly, just yet. First get back into the habit of moving.

Come back here before completing your last week, and let us know how it’s going. Don’t worry about the weight just yet.

I’ll bookmark this thread, and check for your results. Then I will make some suggestions that worked really well for me, and still do. And of course, we will look at your food, along with weight, height, BMI, etc.

Best of luck.

--Yes, I am really good at this type of stuff!
replies 34Dec 5, 2017 9:09 AM +00:00

Thanks R34! I'm going to try that and some of the exercises mentioned R31 in the mornings before work. I'll be sure to post an update in a few weeks.

--Anonymous
replies 35Dec 5, 2017 10:16 AM +00:00

Also Thank you R32! I'd ask if you wanted to go hiking sometime but I don't know any non creepy way of trying to initiate contact hahaha

--OP
replies 36Dec 5, 2017 10:20 AM +00:00

Yes. OP. Please check back. Walking is the easiest way to start off.

I’m in REALLY good shape. I got serious at the age of 27. Had a personal trainer, the whole 9 yards. He started me out with walking in order to rebuild my stamina, and after that, it was all about building a solid core, diet, weight lifting. After that, I got into rowing, running, hiking, swimming, yoga, Pilates, etc.

I switch it up often in order to not lose interest and in order to challenge myself.

It works!

--R34
replies 37Dec 5, 2017 12:19 PM +00:00

R34 I'm not OP but want to say that is very nice of you to do!

--Anonymous
replies 38Dec 7, 2017 2:09 PM +00:00

mini trampoline

--Anonymous
replies 39Dec 7, 2017 2:22 PM +00:00

"Stop eating white ... (go brown)."

Try it for sex also

--bbc
replies 40Dec 7, 2017 2:29 PM +00:00