Join the Bitchfest >>

Stingy with food

Ever been in a situation where someone just doesn't want you to eat any of the food?

multifiles.pressherald.com
--Anonymous
replies 191Dec 4, 2017 3:12 PM +00:00

This happened to me this weekend. The host bought fried chicken and potatoes for four. There were 15 people there.

Last week, I offered to bring a side and was told no one wanted one. My partner and I left hungry and stopped to eat on the way home.

I brought and ate a piece of my cheesecake.

The appetizers were one bag of potato chips, not even family size and the drinks consisted of tiny bottled waters.

This was a birthday celebration for five adults born this week and extra friends/guests. I was one of the birthdays, obviously never again.

--Anonymous
replies 1Dec 4, 2017 3:26 PM +00:00

I forgot to mention that I have hosted this group many times and served abundant and good food and drink.

Are they cheap or anorexia? It was takeout chicken for Christ's sake.

--Anonymous
replies 2Dec 4, 2017 3:45 PM +00:00

Anorexic ^^

--Anonymous
replies 3Dec 4, 2017 3:45 PM +00:00

My mother used to announce FHB for her parties(Family Hold Back)

--Anonymous
replies 4Dec 4, 2017 3:47 PM +00:00

I've gone to Thanksgiving and Xmas get-togethers where they announce, "We just put the turkey in!". And they have some chips or candies out.

Buh-bye. I ain't sitting around your farty place for 4 1/2 hours.

--OP
replies 5Dec 4, 2017 3:49 PM +00:00

Family Hold Back?

--Anonymous
replies 6Dec 4, 2017 3:51 PM +00:00

R6 as in don't touch anything, kids, until all guests have been plenished

--Anonymous
replies 7Dec 4, 2017 3:55 PM +00:00

R7, your mother was a proper hostess.

--Anonymous
replies 8Dec 4, 2017 3:59 PM +00:00

At the last birthday party my sister had for one of her kids she invited the whole family of 18 to her house for a home cooked meal because that's what my niece wanted.

My sister's home cooked meal consisted of a roast chicken that that as roughly the size of a pigeon, a box of Stovetop stuffing and one can of Delmonte corn.

For 18 people.

--Anonymous
replies 9Dec 6, 2017 9:45 AM +00:00

My former boss would buy 2 whole chicken meals (enough for 8) for his 7 employees but if you didn't serve yourself within 10 min of him unpacking it, he would load it back into his car and take it home. For his dinner presumably. I always hated that cuz some guys would be busy with customers or finishing up on a car that they wouldn't get any lunch.

--Anonymous
replies 10Dec 6, 2017 9:58 AM +00:00

I have a friend who is married with 2 kids and his wife is waaaaaay weird about food when they entertain. I blame her because my friend is skinny and never made a fuss for food but knew enough to provide it when he entertained;she on the other hand just seems controlling about it.

They had me and my partner over for a “bbq” this summer. We had our choice of a hot dog OR a hamburger. No cheese was offered for burgers. Sides were one bag salad which was just lettuce and shredded carrots, and a small deli container of potato salad. For 4 adults and 2kids. No dessert, even though we offered to bring something and specifically mentioned dessert, which we were told was “not needed.” I took that to mean they were already providing it, but I guess they literally meant no one “needs” dessert. Okay....

I imagine meals are served with more joy in your average prison. We were starving when we left and picked up a pizza on the way home.

--Anonymous
replies 11Dec 6, 2017 10:08 AM +00:00

My ex (who is a bear) would eat before I arrived. I'd see the dirty dishes in the sink.

Whenever he offered me a drink the glass would have ice up to the top, only room for a little liquid.

We could never go to a restaurant without a 2-for-1 coupon.

--Anonymous
replies 12Dec 6, 2017 12:47 PM +00:00

I had an uncle who was married to a food miser. The worst thing was that they were multi-millionaires yet any time you were invited to their home for dinner she would only let the lady who cooked for them prepare one serving of each item for each person. My mother used to say eating at their house was like eating at a restaurant that was having money trouble. If you wanted extra helpings you had better be prepared to pay for them.

--Anonymous
replies 13Dec 6, 2017 1:59 PM +00:00

So why are people doing this if they are thin and don't have money problems?

--Anonymous
replies 14Dec 6, 2017 2:15 PM +00:00

Hoo, boy, you asked for it...

My niece, having divorced her starter husband, was getting married again. This time the wedding and reception would be at the groom's parents' home, out in the boondocks.

I'd made the cake for her first wedding and she just assumed that I'd do it again...so she never asked me. We all got an unpleasant surprise two days before the wedding when her mom phoned me to say she was on the way to pick up the cake. "What cake?" Another sister offered to make it last-minute. She brought it down to niece's parents-in-law house to decorate it. It turns out these people were literal trailer trash, a bunch of drunks. They got my sister so wasted drinking with them that the tiered cake ended up tilted to one side, the frosting was deep brown, and the flowers were brilliant orange and yellow. Absolutely pathetic, but that's what you get for getting your cake decorator drunk beforehand.

Since it was an at-home wedding, she'd asked to make it a potluck. Everyone on our side of the family got busy cooking. We arrived with our guests and our food. One of her future SILs grabbed the food and took it inside. Two of our elderly guests needed to use the bathroom, and that's when we were told that the only bathroom was in the trailer, and none of the guests were allowed inside. I had to drive the old people into town to use the bathroom at the gas station. The family's excuse for their rudeness: one of their sons was a meth head and a thief, and since they couldn't let him inside the trailer, nobody was allowed inside.

Then the entire wedding party disappeared to take photos. I mean they all climbed into cars and drove off. In the meantime, we guests were hungry and thirsty. So, we went to get something to eat and drink - and that's when the MIL and SIL stood over the food - OUR food that we'd made and brought - and told us nobody could have anything until after the party got back and the service was over. Fuck that! I elbowed them aside, a sister joined me, and we began serving the guests a few nibblies just to tide everyone over.

The wedding party returns an hour later. The back yard has an above-ground pool and a bunch of folding chairs in rows. I'm assisting my elderly mom and another old lady to sit up near the front when the MIL gallops over and very rudely tells them to go sit in the back. The front rows are reserved for 'family', she says. At that point we all got into it with her, and my mother angrily insisted on sitting in the back.

The wedding party assembles. The groom's best man failed to show for the wedding, so at the last minute the bride's brother was asked to stand in. He's a short guy. The bride's charming MIL loudly says to her son's bride, "My god! I never knew you had a DWARF in the family!"

And then everybody blew up. The bride was in tears, the grandma was sitting in the back row, and the short best man is furious, and their mother is ready to duke it out with this trashy woman.

We get through the ceremony and FFS, right afterward the wedding party takes off again. We sat at the outdoor tables, waiting for the champagne to be poured and the buffet to open, only to be rudely told once again that our food and drink is being held until the equally rude wedding party returns.

At that point, our entire side of the family, plus our guests, had had enough. We rose en masse, walked to our cars, and drove the hour and a half back to civilization.

I understand when the wedding party returned, the bride cried. Tough shit, bitch, that what's you get when you marry trash and act like trash.

--Anonymous
replies 15Dec 6, 2017 2:31 PM +00:00

I love your story, R15 (of course it's horrible, but you know what I mean).

Are they still married? Yes or no, condolences to all.

--Anonymous
replies 16Dec 6, 2017 3:00 PM +00:00

R4 your Mom has class <3

--Anonymous
replies 17Dec 6, 2017 3:17 PM +00:00

R15 That's fabulous R15 - like am episode from a reality series "Meth Weddings" or something CK Theroux would doc.

--Get me a piece of that (wonky brown wedding cake)!
replies 18Dec 6, 2017 3:20 PM +00:00

"Family hold back."

So Matriarch!

--Anonymous
replies 19Dec 6, 2017 3:23 PM +00:00

R15, it sounds like they kept disappearing to go do drugs together.

--I condole you...
replies 20Dec 6, 2017 3:33 PM +00:00

R15 I read your story with the music to Come On Get Higher from Nathansen. It sounded cool. It made sense

--Anonymous
replies 21Dec 6, 2017 3:44 PM +00:00

Such suffering. I feel so badly for all of you.

--Darfur Orphan
replies 22Dec 6, 2017 3:47 PM +00:00
So, we went to get something to eat and drink - and that's when the MIL and SIL stood over the food - OUR food that we'd made and brought - and told us nobody could have anything until after the party got back and the service was over.

r15, I hate when one or two people hold up the food service at large family gatherings because they want to wait until everyone is there. I always tell people to start without me in advance, and I try to eat before I go in case you have one of those type people. We are still trying to break my mom out of this, she forgets how large her family has grown and its nearly impossible to wait for everyone.

Any decent people getting married will start food service before the bridal party gets to the reception.

--Anonymous
replies 23Dec 6, 2017 3:48 PM +00:00

In college I seemed to be friends with a number of brilliant anorexic women. Dinner at their places was hilariously anal retentive. It was sad they had no idea that you have to feed young men heaps of food. I was bi then and even fucked some anorexic women and they had bad breath.

--Anonymous
replies 24Dec 6, 2017 4:00 PM +00:00

R15 That's an incredible story, sorry you had to experience it. The only thing different I would have done is to collected the food I had brought and leave them with nothing.

--Anonymous
replies 25Dec 6, 2017 4:01 PM +00:00

I’m 51 and I can’t go 3 hours without a pee break. There is no way I’d hold it for a wedding ceremony and reception, with delays. Were people just expected to piss behind the trailer or in the woods?

--Anonymous
replies 26Dec 6, 2017 4:18 PM +00:00

My partner's trashy family gets a porta potty when they have a function because no one is allowed in the house. I don't get it.

--Haven't been back
replies 27Dec 6, 2017 4:20 PM +00:00

My brother married into an insufferable family. Stereotypical social-climbing WASPs. Had wedding in Martha's vineyard and reception was at some boat club.

Allegedly there was food being passed around but I never saw it, or even cake. My uncle and I walked into town and got pizza.

But you would think it was the royal wedding they way they behaved, making no attempt to be gracious to strangers and going on about drinking out of some vessel.

But I could not forgive the lack of food. At a wedding reception.

--Anonymous
replies 28Dec 6, 2017 4:21 PM +00:00

R1, rethink life and find new aquaintances.

--Anonymous
replies 29Dec 6, 2017 4:24 PM +00:00

R29, this was a party with my immediate family unfortunately. No joke.

--Anonymous
replies 30Dec 6, 2017 4:29 PM +00:00

A fat so once told me that she felt sorry for drunks. I was a big beer drinker just out of college. I said I felt sorry for her fat assume as you need food in your life not beer. Once I'm clear if beer, I'm fine. Then she said yes but you could kill someone driving. Found out she killed a girl as a young teen by throwing her down a well after the fatso pig died.

Avoid people with food disorders and crack heads. No hope for them.

--Anonymous
replies 31Dec 6, 2017 4:30 PM +00:00

I'm 44 and a sucker for thinking it will be better next time.

My brothers and mother are assholes.

--R1 & r30
replies 32Dec 6, 2017 4:30 PM +00:00

I have been and willing admit it, work pot-lucks, there was one woman who would always fix up a couple of plates to take home to feed her family so she wouldn't have to fix dinner. I would always bring a meat dish and started putting it away to discourage her from doing this. It wouldn't though, she would go get more after the potluck. She was not poor, if she had been I would have gladly sent it home with her, she was just very cheap and lazy.

--Anonymous
replies 33Dec 6, 2017 4:31 PM +00:00

My mother has controlled food my whole life. She thinks all the world's problems are caused by being overweight and is obsessive about food. Starving herself for years has permanently affected her mind and every time she talks my blood pressure skyrockets. its abnormal how food obsessed she is.

--Anonymous
replies 34Dec 6, 2017 4:36 PM +00:00

My mom is obssessed with weight and food too, but she was never stingy until recently.

I did notice she hates anything to have flavor...as though if she liked the taste she'd eat more than two bites.

--Anonymous
replies 35Dec 6, 2017 4:57 PM +00:00

I grew up in a part Italian household and this thread is hilarious. Being stingy with food to your guests or family is the greatest sin you could commit. My family still talks about an incident in 1987 where we were guests of a waspy couple who served everyone exactly 8oz of pasta primavera. One tiny bowl of pasta per person. no salad, no bread. We were all starving when we left.

--Pasta primavera horror of 1987
replies 36Dec 6, 2017 5:14 PM +00:00

R27 and others, my theory is people who may have drugs or drug paraphernalia around don't want others in their homes. They are also often paranoid and fear someone is either the cops or will turn them in. Correlates with being trashy.

--Anonymous
replies 37Dec 6, 2017 6:12 PM +00:00

And did the trashy niece get divorced?

An elderly aunt - who looks a lot like maggie smith would if her face had caved in from not eating enough - recently hosted a lunch and by the time the last of us got to the buffet, there was little left in terms of pickles, salads, etc. Heaps of cheap crappy cuts of meat though, which nobody wanted to eat.

--Anonymous
replies 38Dec 6, 2017 7:02 PM +00:00

You people lead lives of quiet desperation, don’t you???

--Anonymous
replies 39Dec 6, 2017 7:08 PM +00:00

R28, thank you. I've posted before on DL on people who are stingy with food.

I am from Long Island, a proud yet humble community of Irish- and Italian-Catholics and Jews. All of whom view food/hospitality as a badge of honor. To a fault.

Imagine my dismay as an undergraduate (I won't name the school, but... imagine) when I visited far wealthier WASP friends at their homes, all over the northeast, and discovered... these people don't give a shit about hospitality. Or eating.

The bars were open, well-stocked, etc. But the actual food (a bowl of M&Ms? A single plate of cheese crackers?) shocked me. When dinner appeared it, it was usually bad AND in short supply.

As we say in Long Island.... the FUCK?

--Anonymous
replies 40Dec 6, 2017 7:19 PM +00:00

A friend threw a kids birthday party for about 30 people and laid out a cold cut platter with 1/4 lb of ham, turkey, cheese. It was enough for one sandwich. I understand cold cuts can get pricey, so don't serve them! I come from a Polish family, same thing, abundance of food is mandated.

Another friend, her first wedding was a disaster. She didn't know what she was doing, her grandmother forbade booze, and the time from ceremony to reception was hours and hours. No appetizers. People were hungry AND sober , not a good combo.

--Anonymous
replies 41Dec 7, 2017 2:48 AM +00:00

What I find abhorrent are people who share with you and keep the better or bigger portion for themselves.

Not that one wants more or better but it shows bad manners and upbringing as well as self centredness and a lack of shame.

--Anonymous
replies 42Dec 7, 2017 3:42 AM +00:00

Oh yes, I went to Darfur and all those nasty orphans were trying to hog all the food.

--Anonymous
replies 43Dec 7, 2017 5:19 AM +00:00

You people are pigs

--Anonymous
replies 44Dec 7, 2017 5:27 AM +00:00

My younger sister is cheap with savoury dishes but overly generous with desserts. She invites us to her place for dinner and will serve a drumstick and a scoop of potatoes and that's dinner. Then she whips out four or five different desserts and expects you to have some of each one. Yeah, nothing like chocolate mouse on an empty stomach.

--Anonymous
replies 45Dec 7, 2017 5:48 AM +00:00

Aren't trailer trash just the bottom of the WASP hierarchy?

--Anonymous
replies 46Dec 7, 2017 6:28 AM +00:00

My sister has an elderly French chain-smoking friend named Maxine. A former fatty, she's rail thin from lap band surgery. Her ring is so tight she vomits most food she ingests. The Christmas I met her, she came in carrying her "famous" buche d'or, set it on the table and then told everyone obediently lining up with a plate that they were too fat to eat it. It's funny to us now but it really put a dampener on what was beforehand a great Christmas dinner. Two people left immediately.

And sure, a couple of us could have lost a few pounds but no one was fat. This is a woman who has lived in America for decades yet is constantly complaining about obese, stupid, graceless Americans. I told my sister I won't attend any holiday dinner she is invited to.

--Anonymous
replies 47Dec 7, 2017 6:31 AM +00:00

A keto-diet friend of mine will invite me and a couple of married friends over (when the friends are visiting from out-of-state) for a 7 p.m. "get-together."

I learned this meant we are literally just "getting together" as we snacked on chips, salsa and the beer that I had brought, the first time. The second time, I asked what I could bring and was told "nothing", so I brought some appetizers. Everyone was so glad, since again, she only offered chips and alcohol.

I'm the thin one in this group.

--She shops at Sam's, for God's sakes
replies 48Dec 7, 2017 7:13 AM +00:00

Could someone please translate R31's post into English for me?

--Anonymous
replies 49Dec 7, 2017 8:17 AM +00:00

In the mid 70's when my bitch paternal grandmother died (she lived with my father's gay younger brother for over 30 years) the family and others assembled on the day at my gay uncle's home (most of the brothers and sisters hadn't seen each other in decades even though none of them lived more than 150 miles from each other). I did not go to the funeral as I had made it plain I hated that side of my family long before and wanted nothing to do with them. My mother told me later that after the funeral my uncle refused to put any of the massive amount of food that had been brought in by neighbors and friends of the family because, as he so proudly proclaimed, "THIS IS NOT THE TIME TO THINK ABOUT FOOD"! Eventually most everyone just got up and left without so much as a fair the well and the family members (sans my homo uncle) went to a restaurant to eat as they were all starving. Not one of them returned to my uncle's house and after that day most of them never saw each other again.

--Anonymous
replies 50Dec 7, 2017 8:43 AM +00:00

In my family you always made enough so there was plenty of leftovers for people to make a plate to take home.

--Anonymous
replies 51Dec 7, 2017 9:03 AM +00:00

That's the way my mother's family was R51. There was always enough food for a log rolling as I used to hear them say. There would even be enough food left over for the ladies who worked in the house to fix plates to take home to their families. Feeding people like kings was a source of pride with my mother's people. One of my friends once said eating at my grandparent's house was like eating at the best all you can eat buffet restaurant you could find.

--Anonymous
replies 52Dec 7, 2017 9:18 AM +00:00

Bitch could take a big black dick well but she couldn't live forever.

--Anonymous
replies 53Dec 7, 2017 9:29 AM +00:00

^^^Holy shit, wrong thread.

--Anonymous
replies 54Dec 7, 2017 9:30 AM +00:00

I eat food with my mouth ulcer

--not running a Bed and Breakfast here
replies 55Dec 7, 2017 9:32 AM +00:00

I prefer taking pix of my foods and posting them on the 'gram

--baby gay
replies 56Dec 7, 2017 9:35 AM +00:00

My very first gay wedding shortly after it had been legalized in Massachusetts. Invited for 5 pm. Both grooms are chefs. Beautiful location in the foothills of the Berkshires. Hundreds of people. We arrived on time to find everything set up for a tasteful ceremony, and it was. But no food or drink. For the "reception," they had hired "caterers, " i.e. college kids working while home from summer vacation, from their respective restaurants, but they'd obviously prepared for far fewer than the number who showed up. As a result, about a half dozen boxes (!) of wine were gone within a half hour, and whenever a tray of skimpy hors d'oeuvres came out of the food preparation area, guests set upon the servers before they were ten feet out. Those of us who knew each other recognized this for the gift-grab that the invitation had been and re-convened at a nearby Chinese restaurant, where we trashed the hosts with a vengeance.

--Anonymous
replies 57Dec 7, 2017 9:48 AM +00:00

my partner is the bbq king. he even built a shelter for the barbecue because we use it even when snowing. i would feel like a failure or embarrassed if anybody left my house hungry. the youngest of my older brothers jason can eat 2 of everything, 2 steaks 2 baked potatoes whatever so i always plan for that. i like doing dinners where everybody get's a personal cornish hen (marinated in this kick ass lemon juice concoction) and splayed and grilled on the bbq. or a huge chicken breast or 4 pork tenderloins enough for 13 people. i always absorb other people's embarrassment too, so if they don't have enough food at their place or are clueless i'll be embarrassed for them and it ruins my night. i remember after one dinner i was so hungry on the way home i was demanding the drive thru girl for 4 mama burgers with cheese (2 each) she kept insisting they didn't have any! i was like why not? and she was like "this is dairy queen we don't have mama burgers with cheese."

--Anonymous
replies 58Dec 7, 2017 10:02 AM +00:00

My grandma (RIP) was a bit stingy with the curry, she made the best fucking curry I've ever had in my life and nowhere else compares. Anywho, so every Sunday we'd go to her tiny apt. in Flushing and the delicious aroma would be wafting through the air before I even got near her door, once inside she would serve us and my dad always got the big piece of chicken or lamb the most gravy and the most roti. I would politely ask and she would give me one more half assed ladel of curry gravy. I do miss her food, cakes, soft skin and oil of olay lotion scent.

--Anonymous
replies 59Dec 7, 2017 10:05 AM +00:00

btw i used to have a gay bear neighbor and if he had made turkey soup he would bring a huge pot up to our place with bay leaves on top. so sweet. his mother was poor and had a lot of kids but was an awesome cook and she taught him everything.

--Anonymous
replies 60Dec 7, 2017 10:13 AM +00:00

Some of you must have enormous, messy bms

--Anonymous
replies 61Dec 7, 2017 10:16 AM +00:00

I love to cook - and eat! - and most of my friends do as well. And the ones who aren’t good cooks always bring great wine. So it’s not usually a problem. Everyone is happy!

But remember years ago being invited to visit this woman who had been seeing a good friend of ours for a few years. He was lovely guy - and beautiful looking too - a traffic stopper! - and not vain about his looks, zero ego or arrogance. She was nice enough. Intelligent and ambitious. But always seemed a little insecure around him. They spilt up eventually and she met a new guy and moved cities. A few of us ended up in town over the same weekend and we were duly invited to dinner...

We took along the wine, and first up we were served these fairly small bowls of a ravioli with a kind of salami/sausage pesto. It sounds odd - but it really was delicious. The perfect appetiser. Only that turned out to be it. Nothing else was served. No dessert even. Nothing. We were starving. I think we drank some wine and left as soon as we politely could - and ended up with some sort of mediocre takeout on the way home. It was a smaller city and unfamiliar and pre-smartphone - so the options for food were pretty limited.

It was embarrassing. We never saw her again.

Had a friend who was asked to fly interstate to attend the wedding of a girl he’d gone to university with. They’d been close on and off again over the years. And she was pretty nice. But the invitation was odd...

It was a civil ceremony in a park at 11am. Then,no invitation to a reception of any sort. But they were going to meet guests at some inner city pub around 6pm for drinks. Again, not a cocktail party or reception of any sort - just friends getting together for drinks at a pub.

Was odd. I mean - you’re expecting people to fly across the country for your wedding vows - then buy their own drinks - and probably yours too! - at a bar somewhere, hours after the event, after they’ve been killing time all day in a strange city.

Suspect her European mother and family might have been being difficult. They were pretty crazy - and not generous people. So clearly they weren’t up to springing for a reception for their only daughter’s much awaited, anticipated (and unexpected!) wedding. The immediate families and closest must’ve had lunch somewhere - they disappeared for six hours after the ceremony after all - but obviously many on the guest list didn’t make the cut. Yet she expected them to fly down from interstate. Kinda rude - no?

Anyway - the friend that got the invitation sent her a witty response (he thought!) saying that since they didn’t seem to have any plans for lunch after the ceremony, perhaps he could take them to dim sum or sonething? It was the least he could do - and maybe some of the other guests could join them as well?

He never heard from her again.

What is it about calling people out on their meanness - and it being a relationship deal breaker? I mean, they don’t even try and have a conversation about it - let alone apologise. Do they realise how awful they’re being and just can’t face the embarrassment of seeing someone again who reminds them of their behavior...?

--Anonymous
replies 62Dec 7, 2017 10:22 AM +00:00

R62 here again -

Also got asked to a friend’s housewarming party. She been doing it tough as a single mother for years, when her father died and she inherited the old family home. She loved the place and it was great to see her secure at last.

She’s a bit of a redneck girl tho. Nice - heart of gold! - but a little trashy. And she has baby tastes. Doesn’t drink a lot. And only those too sweet concoctions with fruit in them. And is really limited in the food she likes - nothing ‘famcy’.

So we asked what to bring - and she says nothing. I’m having it catered.

Gobsmacked.

Anyway, turn up, and ‘catered’’ turns out to be a couple of platters of supermarket deli sandwiches and a couple of platters of antipasto. All really Basic. And the sandwiches were dried out and unappealing. And there wasn’t enough. Everyone were good sports about it though. She’s quite a character! And when those of us with a sweet tooth got restive and were told there was no dessert, I drove one of the others up to the nearest McDonalds and got a couple dozen chocolate sundaes. Which disappeared in moments flat when we returned. She took it all in good humor, and out of memory she happily wolfed down two of the sundaes.

--Anonymous
replies 63Dec 7, 2017 10:34 AM +00:00

I went to a straight friend's surprise birthday party. His wife rented out a bar in NYC. It started at 6 pm so we assumed dinner would be served. I saw two trays of things being passed around, but I skipped, waiting for the dinner. By 9:00 it was clear that we weren't getting any more food, so a bunch of us left to go to dinner. People were starting to get drunk - and most of them were in their late 30s and early 40s, not like college kids who can drink for hours on an empty stomach. I was really surprised his wife was so clueless about that.

--Anonymous
replies 64Dec 7, 2017 10:39 AM +00:00

r2 it was a sign that they really didn't want to have the event. you are probably not the only one not going to do it again so they achieved their goal

--Anonymous
replies 65Dec 7, 2017 10:43 AM +00:00

She wasn't clueless. She was cheap or poor.

--Anonymous
replies 66Dec 7, 2017 10:44 AM +00:00

r65, If you are referring to me at r64, she is neither cheap nor poor. She rented the place out and had an open bar all night for like 100 people. She is, I suspect, anorexic, and simply doesn't think about food. I think she would be horrified to know people left to go get food and are still talking about the fact years later.

--r64
replies 67Dec 7, 2017 10:49 AM +00:00

If you’re stingy with food, don’t have a fucking party! It’s rude, but stingy people generally are.

--Anonymous
replies 68Dec 7, 2017 10:51 AM +00:00

Well I don't buy that explanation. If she is rich and anorexic, she is keenly aware of people's need for food.

--Anonymous
replies 69Dec 7, 2017 10:52 AM +00:00

Why are people being called out for being pigs on this thread? This is a HUGE pet peeve of many people. Some of these stories, the people's stinginess is just atrocious.

But, I remember attending a birthday party when I was a kid. You tell the party totally broke the parents. All the snacks and pop were in that generic bright yellow packaging with black block letters, you know, from Loblaws or Bells. Everyone knew it was from the scummy store. But, at least the parents were trying.

--Anonymous
replies 70Dec 7, 2017 10:52 AM +00:00

r62, I think those people were intentionally making the event unappealing so that the "invitees" would stay home and send a gift out of guilt. In a scenario like that, my gift would be to make a hefty donation to charity in honor of the bride and groom. The message is: I didn't get you shit, but I I had, this is how much money I would have spent on you! The charity wins, you feel good about yourself, and no one can say you didn't "gift".

--Anonymous
replies 71Dec 7, 2017 11:01 AM +00:00

Who would want to be around a stingy personality? They are petty and selfish people...insufferable and toxic.

--Anonymous
replies 72Dec 7, 2017 11:06 AM +00:00

This thread is both sad and hilarious, I come from a large family every family event there is lots of food. Everyone is expected to take home leftovers, I can usually get 4 meals just from the leftovers.

--Anonymous
replies 73Dec 7, 2017 11:08 AM +00:00

i'm italian and these stories are crazy to me. Having people over and not feed them until they choke is unforgivable in my culture. And a WEDDING with no food??? It would probably end in tragedy, like people stabbing each other.

--Anonymous
replies 74Dec 7, 2017 11:47 AM +00:00

r61 is r50's gay uncle.

--Anonymous
replies 75Dec 7, 2017 12:10 PM +00:00

Hah! Last Christmas Eve my sister had us all over - 16 of us - and told everyone not to bring a dish, she'd have a meat tray, etc. We get there and all that's left is her huge pot of white chicken chili. Her son, home from college brought 2 friends and they devoured the meat tray, cheese and relish tray - nothing for anyone else. I asked her why she didn't tell us to get something on the way and she said she thought it would be fine. My rotten nephew had also started drinking most of the beer and pop she had out on her deck. This rude kid only briefly came up from the basement where he was playing video games (he's 22 for God's sake!) to mutter 'hi' and back down he went. I had brought the rotten kid a Christmas card for Macy's for 50 bucks and I took it back home with me.

--Anonymous
replies 76Dec 7, 2017 12:25 PM +00:00

Was this a surprise, R76? You probably know her by now so just bring food no matter what she says. Who comes to a Christmas Eve dinner without food and drink offerings? Very odd thread.

--Anonymous
replies 77Dec 7, 2017 12:28 PM +00:00
I had brought the rotten kid a Christmas card for Macy's for 50 bucks and I took it back home with me.

I love you R76.

--Anonymous
replies 78Dec 7, 2017 12:39 PM +00:00

r77, if a host tells you not to bring anything, bringing anything other than a bottle of wine or maybe dessert can often be more problematic for the host - like having to heat something up, or find room in the refrigerator, find a serving dish, etc. I always offer to bring something but if I am told no, stick to wine, which I don't expect to be served, or a non-food item gift for the host.

--Anonymous
replies 79Dec 7, 2017 12:47 PM +00:00

Yes R79 but to a family holiday dinner, those rules do NOT apply. In most cultures at least.

--Anonymous
replies 80Dec 7, 2017 12:49 PM +00:00

R70 is a great big ol’ horse of a gal...

--Feel better?
replies 81Dec 7, 2017 12:57 PM +00:00

To a gathering of 24 people in which everyone has been asked to "please bring something to share," I plan to bring a half-pound wedge of St. Andre, crackers, and fruit. Is this enough? Maybe two wedges? Or add some soppressata? I know: one's French, the other's Italian,, but I like them together.

I do not want to be "stingy with food."

--Anonymous
replies 82Dec 7, 2017 1:02 PM +00:00

1 - 1.5 ounces per person for cheese. 1.5 per person would be 36 so you are less than 1/4 to your goal of not being stingy. At least bring a pound. And what fruit? The fruit will be fine with a pound. 1/2 pound? The fuck?

--Anonymous
replies 83Dec 7, 2017 1:09 PM +00:00

You are not bringing enough r82. 2.5 lbs of cheese, two or three boxes of crackers and a tray of fruit.

--Anonymous
replies 84Dec 7, 2017 1:16 PM +00:00

Thank you, r84 and r83.

--Anonymous
replies 85Dec 7, 2017 1:18 PM +00:00

Whenever I'm cooking for company I always double or triple the recipes...and I'm always kind of confused there's lots left over. I'm just not good with numbers! And I have this fear they'll all love ONE dish, and ignore everything else (which never actually happens)

I figure I'm cooking, anyway.....and it's always better to have too much rather than too little.

--Anonymous
replies 86Dec 7, 2017 1:20 PM +00:00

Every holiday at my grandparents house we little kids had to wait around for HOURS for the turkey to cook and the only thing to eat was a can of peanuts (for 12 people). My mother was always yelling at me not to eat any peanuts because I would "spoil my apppetite." I ate some anyway and she would scream "Leave some for other people!" As if the 5 peanuts I ate were going to cause a famine.

I got a stomach ache from the peanuts, from my mother screaming at me and from having to wait for hours to eat. Guess what kind of condition little kids are in after 4 hours of no food, nothing to drink (we could only drink at the table when food was served), no TV, no games. Of course, the adults had alcoholic drinks they guzzled in the living room, but not the kids. Big surprise holidays were a tedious chore that I hated.

Best part -- we lived two blocks over and there was no fucking reason AT ALL to have gone there so early.

--Anonymous
replies 87Dec 7, 2017 1:21 PM +00:00

Oh, r87, I heart you. Some of these stories make me so glad I had my parents. I never suffered through anything like this.

--Anonymous
replies 88Dec 7, 2017 1:23 PM +00:00

R87, that's horrible! I recall variations of that with some relatives when I was little. Your last sentence made me laugh, but I feel your pain!

--Don't fill up on peanuts
replies 89Dec 7, 2017 1:25 PM +00:00

I just want to clarify, my mother controls food for US. She's an excellent cook and hostess but when it comes to her own family she controls every crumb that goes into our mouths. She will push leftovers on me and tell me to take food home while telling me how fat I am in the same breath. She's infuriating.

--Anonymous
replies 90Dec 7, 2017 1:30 PM +00:00

My husband's sister invited us for dinner. This was years ago. There were 4 of us. I stopped and bought 4 eclairs. For dinner, we had about 4 forkfuls of spaghetti and one piece of bread. My husband asked for more spaghetti. "There isn't any more."

"Oh. Could I have another piece of bread to dip in the sauce on my plate?"

"There isn't any more bread."

"Oh. Well, I guess I'll just have dessert.,then"

Out came 2 eclairs, cut in half. One half for each person. She kept the other 2.

And...my husband looked in the fridge for cold water and there was sauce and spaghetti in a bowl. And half a loaf of Italian bread was wrapped up on the counter.

His sister's wedding was in a dank "loft" that looked like an unfinished basement. There were coated paper ashtrays. The. bride and her friends all smoked like chimneys, while my husband's family didn't smoke, so two family members climbed on a ladder to open windows to air the place out. It was sleeting outside. Once they opened the windows, it was sleeting inside. And they couldn't close the windows with the big metal things they'd used to open them.

The food? Hors d'ouevers. They had enough for about 50 people, which was unfortunate, as there were 75 guests.

There was a turkey placed on a folding card table. Uncarved. No plates. Turned out the bride's mother brought it because --knowing her daughter -- she figured there would hardly be any food. But she thought there would be forks and knives and plates at the loft. There weren't any. People were literally gouging the turkey woth a plastic spoon someone found. Elderly people with diabetes tried to leave, but had no way of getting home because the bride's parents had hired a bus and it wasn't coming til 10:30 pm.

The bride was wearing a white miniskirt up to her ass and a long veil. She insisted on Latin music, though no one was Latin. She danced and danced, her veil sweeping up and swirling all of the cigarette butts her friends had ground out on the floor.

Such a class act!

--Anonymous
replies 91Dec 7, 2017 1:43 PM +00:00

We were invited to my nieces sweet sixteen way far away. The family is nouveau riche to a tee over their true selves of trailer trash.

The dad cleaned up on a game show, had a big aren't I rich party with giveaways. Maybe others got better but I got a Costco sized box of sweet and low.

I digress. We all pile in the car and drive about three hours to hotel. There were hula dancers - supposed to be a luau. My niece dressed very inappropriate with coconut shells over her budding breasts.

We sit down. There is a plate of Costco cookies. I asked if we had missed lunch, and someone said, you're looking at it

--How rude
replies 92Dec 7, 2017 1:55 PM +00:00
Hors d'ouevers.

Allow me to "Oh dear" myself

--Anonymous
replies 93Dec 7, 2017 1:56 PM +00:00

r93 i told you i don't make anything out of horses!

--Anonymous
replies 94Dec 7, 2017 1:59 PM +00:00

R91 I would have been tempted to ask, Why is there spaghetti and bread in the fridge. Fuck.

--Anonymous
replies 95Dec 7, 2017 2:02 PM +00:00

R91 after that thing with the eclairs I'd only ever eat with those people at restaurants where it's clearly understood everyone pays their own way. That kind of brazen cuntiness is just nasty!

Better to avoid the fuck out of them.

--Anonymous
replies 96Dec 7, 2017 2:10 PM +00:00
R91 My husband's sister invited us for dinner. This was years ago. There were 4 of us. I stopped and bought 4 eclairs. For dinner, we had about 4 forkfuls of spaghetti and one piece of bread. My husband asked for more spaghetti. "There isn't any more."

Why did she even bother inviting anyone over? Wouldn't it seem she hates people???

I mean, this sounds like mental illness....am I overreacting?

--Anonymous
replies 97Dec 7, 2017 2:28 PM +00:00

I generally find that people who are stingy witb food are also the people who insist on ordering a huge amount of food for themselves and then dividing the check evenly. Or who eat all of the shared food for the table. In other words, selfish pigs with no class at all.

--Anonymous
replies 98Dec 7, 2017 2:31 PM +00:00

R97 no, all these stories sound like mental ilness.

And wherest thou be, all ye stingy people, to weigh as to WHY you think think this behavior is acceptable??? Surely there MUST be a few stingy-ass DLers,.

--Anonymous
replies 99Dec 7, 2017 2:55 PM +00:00
I mean, this sounds like mental illness....am I overreacting?

She's a narcissist and a bitch. She's obsessed with food and wine and is the cheapest, stingiest person I've ever met. I went to her apartment once more for dinner (and we stopped and ate pizza slices beforehand). I brought cheap greengrocer chrysanthemums instead of food that time. And I told my husband "This is so unpleasant I'm never doing it again."

We used to take my husband's mother out to dinner on Mother's Day and her birthday and Sis would come along, bitching to every staff member in the restaurant. She didn't like the table and wanted to move. No, this table isn't any better! I want THAT one.

Then the wine list was no good. The food wasn't cooked enough or was too cold, take it back and bring me HOT food. No, I don't like this sauce, it's terrible. Bring me another order if this without the sauce. This restaurant is horrible, the staff is stupid, the chef doesn't know how to cook. I cook much better than this!

So after a few years of that I demurely declined to go on any more restaurant outings with them.

Fast forward 10 years and she was now married to husband number three. My husband said, "Her new husband handles her very well! She doesn't behave like that anymore in restaurants. You'll really like him. Let's get together with them, please?"

Ok, says I.

We went out and it was WORSE THAN EVER. She sent her fish back twice and demanded to speak to the chef so she could instruct the chef how to properly prepare her fish. She told the waiter "Your wine list is shitty and overpriced!" He told her the names of their off menu wines. "Ugh! They're disgusting!"

The whole time, I was making faces at the waiter. Sis couldn't see me because she was so worked up over her performance, throwing her arms out and grandly gesticulating. I stuck my finger next to my temple and pretended to pull a trigger. I put my index finger in front of my ear, twirled it around, crossed my eyes & stuck out my tongue. The waiter was trying so hard to keep a straight face, and it was INFURIATING sis.

I excused myself to the bathroom. I grabbed the manager and told him I was so sorry and he was very nice. "I don't know what she's talking about," he said. Neither does she, I said. She's just a cunt. A nasty, clueless CUNT. He said, "Sshhh! She'll hear you!" and laughed.

What's really unfortunate is that the restaurant had a gas leak a month later and the manager died. Meanwhile the CUNT lives on. People think Trump will get his comeuppance. But based on Sis, I know that cunts gonna cunt, and they get away with it all the time. That's why it irks me democrats are getting rid of Franken, but Trump and Moore will prevail. Cunts, the lot of them.

I haven't seen Sis or her husband since and have no intention of ever seeing them again.

--Anonymous
replies 100Dec 7, 2017 2:58 PM +00:00

Another "Sis" story. She asked to use my summer house for a weekend. My husband said, "Please. She wants to take her BF there. We'll stay in the city."

Ok. But she's on probation, I said. She never comes back again if she misbehaves.

We had a few bottles of wine friends had given us over the holidays. When we got back to the house, they were gone. There was, however, a nice house present for me -- a big red stain on my living room rug. And a mark on my dining room table where it looked like she's scrubbed it with Brillo. I was never able to fix it (or get the stain out). My husband said, "She told me she'll buy us a new rug."

I burst out laughing.

I went upstairs and she'd left the guest room windows open. It had rained and the bedding was soaked.

A friend had given me a nice fat blunt and I'd stuck it in my (full) Tylenol bottle. A few weekends later I opened the bottle and it was gone. I showed my husband and he said "Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you. She found it and smoked it. She said she was going to replace it...."

Birch must have gone through the house like a fucking burglar. Luckily, I never kept money or banking info there.

And that was the last time she was ever allowed at my summer house

--OK, I'm Done, I Promise. No More Sis Stories
replies 101Dec 7, 2017 3:14 PM +00:00

My Mom was a phenomenal Italian cook. And a wonderful hostess. Her dinners were an event. She always made more than enough food for everyone, plus anyone who may have dropped in unexpectedly. Everyone got sent home with containers of food. Her feeling was that if you are going to entertain guests, give it 110% or don't do it at all. I have followed her example.

--Anonymous
replies 102Dec 7, 2017 3:18 PM +00:00

R101 how did your husband end up sweet and accommodating, and his sister the opposite?

I don't know why he even wants anything to do with her. Does she have any redeeming characteristics??

--Anonymous
replies 103Dec 7, 2017 3:27 PM +00:00

Wow, these stories are CRAZY! Do people like this really exist?

--Anonymous
replies 104Dec 7, 2017 3:31 PM +00:00

Well, it's been said here before, and I'm happy to say it again. R100/R101, you can at least take comfort in the fact that your "sis" consumed far more than food at those restaurants, if you catch my drift.

--Former server and host
replies 105Dec 7, 2017 3:34 PM +00:00

R103

She's his older sister who was cool when he was a kid. He always looked up at her and her cool friends. He stayed with her when she lived in the city and he didn't, so he felt he owed her something.

She's a nympho, BTW. I could go on, but I've already hijacked the thread and would like to hear other people's food-stingy stories because it's a good topic.

--Anonymous
replies 106Dec 7, 2017 3:35 PM +00:00

stingy bitches can be found throughout nature.

The cat meows very loudly because does not want to eat food with other cats.
YouTube
--Anonymous
replies 107Dec 7, 2017 3:56 PM +00:00

My sister serves portioned plates to guests at dinner. I know it’s her husband’s influence as he’s a snob. We didn’t grow up that way. Our parents hosted a lot of parties, including dinner parties, and if they were serving portioned meats, there was always extra. After any event my parents hosted, we were eating leftovers for at least 3 days.

I was looking after my sister’s pets for a few days, and she even left strict instructions on how much to feed the dog! I could see the dog was hungry so I didn’t follow the instructions.

The cat was to get half a can of cat food. I gave him a whole can, which he ate immediately.

I also made dinner for her kids. They, too, were subject to portion control. I made a salad and a huge bowl of pasta. My ten year old niece served herself half the bowl. I suggested to her that she’d taken too much, but she said she would eat it all, and she did. I think it was because she rarely was allowed to eat such a carb laden food.

--Anonymous
replies 108Dec 7, 2017 4:28 PM +00:00

R108 I have had the same experience with watching people's pets. I always give more than the instructions - plus extra treats.

--Anonymous
replies 109Dec 7, 2017 4:34 PM +00:00

Gift your stingy hostesses Joan Crawford's book My Way Of Life. They could learn a thing or two:

"Another meeting might be scheduled the same night for seven. That group would be received in the living room and offered a drink and something to nibble on until Alfred was free to join them. I never knew whether those attending the seven o’clock meeting would stay for dinner, but I always had to be prepared. That’s why I haven’t had a cook for eighteen years. What cook can go on being cheerful if you tell her at a quarter to eight that there are going to be five extra people for dinner when she, after putting in a long day, has planned on two lamb chops? Besides, I loved being alone with my husband when it was possible. So we had only one maid in our New York apartment, and I still have only one in my present eight rooms. Once a week we have men to come in and move the heavy furniture and do all the heavy cleaning and polishing—twice a week if I entertain much. The rest of the time my maid Mamacita and the faithful Mr. Grant and I manage very well by ourselves. The difference between a hired cook and me was that when I was married I did the job for love—and enjoyed every minute of it. My freezer was always filled with things for emergencies, things like pot roast, beef bourguignon, lobster Newburg, creamed chicken, and meat loaf. I always made extra sauce so that the meat or chicken or seafood was completely covered when it was frozen. That’s important. I kept frozen aspics and, of course, those lovely homemade soups that I cooked in great quantities and froze in separate containers. Apart from the soups, which simmer for hours, things should always be a little undercooked because they’ll cook a bit more in the thawing and warming-up process. At those rare times when no hearty dish was on tap I phoned Casserole Kitchen, a gem of a place that would send over a casserole of veal or lamb",

--Anonymous
replies 110Dec 7, 2017 4:56 PM +00:00

Joan cont'd :

nd salad, bread, and desserts. I’d have the oven ready and just pop things in for warming. I always had my own French dressing, and fruit and cheese in the refrigerator. The point of all this planning was that when it was my husband’s time of day I was prepared for almost any eventuality, for anything that he wanted to do. There might be a dozen unexpected guests, or a candlelit dinner for two—and we always dined by candlelight.

--Anonymous
replies 111Dec 7, 2017 5:15 PM +00:00

Actually yes, I was at a dinner party and took a normal portion of Veal Prince Orloff and the hostess made me put it back. The nerve!

Fun starts at the 16 min mark.

--Lou Grant
replies 112Dec 7, 2017 5:28 PM +00:00

R108, yes! I forgot about pets. My brother is stingy on cat food and it makes me sick.

When I was pet-sitting, I couldn't even find the food. Camned food? No way.

--Anonymous
replies 113Dec 7, 2017 10:47 PM +00:00

Oh, please, R101, MORE sis stories! I love them!

--Anonymous
replies 114Dec 8, 2017 3:01 AM +00:00

R101 u have the worst sister in law known to DL. She should be called sinister in law. I hope u really fuck her up badly one day

--Anonymous
replies 115Dec 8, 2017 3:06 AM +00:00

My sister does the opposite of R101 s sister if she has 15 people over for dinner she has enough food for 45. She makes everyone take home the leftovers.

--R73
replies 116Dec 8, 2017 3:07 AM +00:00

R101 enjoys a rich fantasy life

--Anonymous
replies 117Dec 8, 2017 5:40 AM +00:00

R112 LOL. I remember

--Anonymous
replies 118Dec 8, 2017 5:47 AM +00:00

R100/101: I remember the first time you told DL about your sister and the "restaurant episode" (it was a few years ago). As I recall there was a heated DL dabte about her...ethnicity/religion.

Then as now, I only echo the thought upthread: WHAT does your husband still see in her?

--Any more stories on Sisterzilla?
replies 119Dec 8, 2017 6:00 AM +00:00

why the fuck are rich people always the stingiest? seriously. it blows my goddamn mind.

my super-wealthy ex-bestie got married on the jersey shore and it was an abomination. the venue was some absolute shit-hole spa/hotel near the boardwalk that made Tahiti Village look like the Four Seasons in Maui. The wedding was of course "Hawaiian" themed and the dinner - as much as I can remember - was rubbery grey chicken breasts swimming in a massive pool of pineapple juice. Along with some bizarre fried stuff. There was hardly any of it. And it all of it ran out within 30 minutes of the reception. So most of the crowd just drank this cloying yet potent sangria on an empty stomach until we were all effectively blind.

All I remember about that night was staggering onto the boardwalk completely fucking wasted desperate for food and finding a disgusting pizza joint open. My partner and I gobbled down three slices and within minutes needed to vomit. We hightailed it to the beach and began tossing our cookies VIOLENTLY. With tears streaming down my eyes and viscous spit threads dangling from my mouth, I looked over and sure enough there were 5 other people from the wedding puking as well. One of the guys actually smiled and managed to yell "you had the pizza, right?"

never talked to that bitch again.

--Anonymous
replies 120Dec 8, 2017 6:22 AM +00:00

My sister's ex bf came over one day and announced to everyone "don't cook today I am going to buy Boston chicken for everyone" we were like okay, fine. This fat fuck came with 2 little whole chickens and four sides (mac n cheese, spinach, mashed potato and sweet corn). There were 6 of us, he and my sister served themselves first and there was maybe some left over for one person. I ended up buying dinner for my aunt, dad and brother. They also took all the sides home with them and gave my dad a sliver of chicken and the spinach they didn't like. Glad that fat fuck is out of our lives he was cheap and obnoxious acted like he was the bread winner. All he did was sit on his ass all day as "security" $11/hr.

--Anonymous
replies 121Dec 8, 2017 6:28 AM +00:00

2 chickens isn’t enough for 6 people?

--You people are gluttons
replies 122Dec 8, 2017 6:37 AM +00:00

^^^ It would have been if they ate normal portions, but like I said they served themselves first and they are both on the chubby side. I would have been fine with one leg and thigh or whatever.

--Anonymous
replies 123Dec 8, 2017 6:41 AM +00:00

r121 2 chickens from Boston Market seems like enough for 6. But like you said" he and my sister served themselves first." So, I would think they split one of them chickens between themselves. Yeah, that would not leave enough for the rest.

--Anonymous
replies 124Dec 8, 2017 8:25 AM +00:00

Yeah, OP. It was called my childhood.

--That's for your dad's lunch!
replies 125Dec 8, 2017 8:32 AM +00:00

R125 sounds like you have an interesting story to tell.

--Anonymous
replies 126Dec 8, 2017 9:37 AM +00:00
Out came 2 eclairs, cut in half. One half for each person. She kept the other 2.

What a bitch!

Goddamn that's beyond stingy and just straight up slap deserving.

--Anonymous
replies 127Dec 8, 2017 9:42 AM +00:00

Chicken dinners from Boston market or KFC can be misleading. I've gotten a few pieces that were nothing but deep fried batter and bone. Literally no meat hiding under that crispy skin. And, I swear those chicken shrink on the rotisserie. They look like Cornish game gen when they're taken off.

--Anonymous
replies 128Dec 8, 2017 9:46 AM +00:00

Y'ALL STINGY

media1.tenor.com
--Anonymous
replies 129Dec 8, 2017 10:13 AM +00:00

Whatever happened to class, taste, manners and courtesy? A host or hostess should provide ample food for guests, to make sure the guests are comfortable and to feel welcomed. I can’t imagine dealing with those horrible people as described in these posts. I avoid petty, stingy, selfish people. I’m 54, and I won’t waste the time I have left on those toxic people. My family would never act that way; we were brought up to be considerate of others.

--Anonymous
replies 130Dec 8, 2017 3:43 PM +00:00

Because my mother was (and is) so weird about food, I now despise people who have food issues. I dumped a friend (slightly overweight) who was always on a diet. Every time you went out, she couldn't eat carbs, dairy, sugar, she couldn't drink, or she was only eating oxygen that day. I do not regret it.

--Anonymous
replies 131Dec 8, 2017 4:24 PM +00:00

R131 - soooooo with you on that! The people with the bizarre tastes and problems with food - that are usually indicative of some other mental health issue.

I’ve not really dumped any friend for their odd dietary habits - but I sure as shit don’t go out to dinner with them.

Fortunately, few of my friends are difficult. The odd one will be on a diet or something - but they don’t go on about it and are happy for everyone else to eat what they like.

I actually love it when some of the few friends with dietary restrictions come to dinner at our place. I love to cook - and so planning a meal that is outside my usual comfort zone is always a stimulating exercise. Love coming up with stuff they can eat that the rest of us will love as well. And my friends are always really happy and grateful I’ve made the effort.

--Anonymous
replies 132Dec 8, 2017 4:56 PM +00:00

Oh - to the posters who were complaining about people being stingy with their pets’ food -

Maybe you should think again here. We fostered and then kept a beagle. He’s a funny little thing - but he is adored and has a very good life. But he’s constantly hungry. And was quite overweight when we got him. He’s food obsessed. We have to feed him half of what Irish terrier gets. They’re both the same weight. She’s taller than him and very lean and fit - he’s a little curvy lump.

Clearly you don’t wanna starve a pet. But most of us are feeders and want to give them more than is good for them - which most of them will gladly consume. There are so many overweight dogs and cats out there! Ask any vet.

--Anonymous
replies 133Dec 8, 2017 5:04 PM +00:00

My sister’s dog was not overweight r133, but the dog wasn’t exercised enough either.

My other sister has 2 dogs. She doesn’t restrict their food at all. Her husband walks the dogs 2 hours or more daily, and none of the dogs she’s ever owned have been overweight.

--R108
replies 134Dec 8, 2017 5:15 PM +00:00

I remember my family visiting my sister and her husband in Florida. There was no food in the house (I guess they ate out all the time).

At one point I noticed some yogurt cups in the fridge and her husband said, "I hope you don't like yogurt".

There was a grapefruit tree in the backyard and though I don't really like them I ate a couple. Then I heard him telling people I was "eating the hell out of the grapefruits".

--Anonymous
replies 135Dec 8, 2017 5:32 PM +00:00

An old-fashioned WASP event might have had fairly scanty provisions (nuts, triscuits and cheese, some potted shrimp, and so on) but there would have been heroic quantities of good booze.

--Anonymous
replies 136Dec 8, 2017 5:38 PM +00:00

My younger brother had us over for thanksgiving one year,and I took a huge pot of my famous mashed potatoes.Good thing I did,as they had bought a tiny turkey for 12 people and had miniscule side dishes. Everybody had huge piles of mashers on their plates to fill up. I told my mother "never again" and I havent eaten at their house in 10 years.We werent raised that way ,my parents always had tons of food for any get together,and they always provided the booze as well. They had some GREAT parties !

--Anonymous
replies 137Dec 8, 2017 5:41 PM +00:00

To the person who mentioned feeders creating overweight pets--I have thin animals and children--my brother truly underfeeds his animals.

My kids drank a cup of milk each with dinner and overheard my brother and sister-in-law talking about how they were pigs. I should have seen the writing on the wall.

--Anonymous
replies 138Dec 8, 2017 6:02 PM +00:00

The story at R137 seems like it could be a young couple cooking a holiday dinner for the first time and not knowing how to plan for 12.

How old was the brother that thanksgiving, R137?

--Anonymous
replies 139Dec 8, 2017 6:35 PM +00:00
There was a grapefruit tree in the backyard and though I don't really like them I ate a couple. Then I heard him telling people I was "eating the hell out of the grapefruits".

FFS R135!

--Anonymous
replies 140Dec 8, 2017 6:36 PM +00:00

R139 he was in his late 30s! His old lady is food greedy,the kind thatll hold dinner for 2 hours if company is there instead of offering to share. She keeps all the food in the attached garage,wich has a door chime that goes off if someone opens it late at night to get a snack. We used to get together with my younger brother at least 4 times a year,no one goes over now. Im convinced she did it to make sure no one would ever come back for dinner again,and it worked,at least for me.

--R137
replies 141Dec 8, 2017 8:33 PM +00:00

A few of these relatives need to teceive anonymous and nasty letters that in no way can be traced back to the peple who sent them

--Anonymous
replies 142Dec 9, 2017 12:58 AM +00:00

Send names and addresses of your desired recipients to R142.

--Anonymous
replies 143Dec 9, 2017 3:00 AM +00:00

I dated this guy who was on hydroxycut. He would never take me out to dinner. He would only take me to this ONE sports bar/restaurant bc they were friends with the bartender and they would drink all night for $10/a person. Who knows how they secured that arrangement, but it got old real fast. The one night I asked if we could order a few appetizers, you would think I was breaking some sort of moral code. It killed him to order them, and then of course he wouldn't eat any (hydroxycut!!!!). What a combination: cheap and dieting - - ugh! From then on I vowed to only date ppl who ate with gusto like myself.

--Anonymous
replies 144Dec 9, 2017 4:19 AM +00:00

I can understand being frugal with food if you're broke or on a strict budget, but as many have mentioned here the stingiest people with food are those who can most afford to buy food.

--Anonymous
replies 145Dec 9, 2017 4:24 AM +00:00

I had the opposite problem, my best friend Karen would have me to dinner and I swear every time I looked away, it's like the plate of food refilled itself. It was if she was sneaking food off her plate onto mine.

--Olivia Newton-John
replies 146Dec 9, 2017 4:32 AM +00:00

I'm hosting Christmas Eve and my niece and her new hubby are Vegan and they've informed me they'll bring THEIR OWN snacks, food etc. I was like ....just tell me what to order and I'll get Vegan for you but she said "you'll get the wrong kind".

--Anonymous
replies 147Dec 9, 2017 4:51 AM +00:00

Gay men don't say "hubby," r147.

--Anonymous
replies 148Dec 9, 2017 4:54 AM +00:00

Maybe the reason why they are rich is because they are cheap.

That still does not justify it

--Anonymous
replies 149Dec 9, 2017 5:34 AM +00:00

My father used to drag us to his parents house every Sunday. The only saving grace was that they had s color tv back in the Dark Ages when most had black & white TV.

My grandmother would make a roast beef or roast lamb for Sunday dinner. She & my grandfather would sit down & eat as my parents, my sister and I sat in the living room. My mother was mortified and hated going there. She always tried to get my father to leave when my grandparents sat down to eat but he refused because he wanted to see Ed Sullivan in color.

They never asked us to join them. My mother got a job where she worked on Sunday so she wouldnt have to sit around being hungry for a couple of hours before my father would allow us to leave.

--Anonymous
replies 150Dec 9, 2017 6:29 AM +00:00

R150 wins.

Or loses. Whichever.

--Anonymous
replies 151Dec 9, 2017 6:31 AM +00:00

That’s fucked up, R150. Emotional food warfare.

--Anonymous
replies 152Dec 9, 2017 6:32 AM +00:00

We’re they Irish or Norwegian?

--Anonymous
replies 153Dec 9, 2017 6:46 AM +00:00

My father was pretty retarded. Today he'd be called autistic (not Aspergers, but full blown autistic). He had to do the same thing at the same time every day of the week. For example, on Friday night he went food shopping, then he went to a bar in town and watched TV while drinking beer. He left and came home from the house/supermarket/bar the same time every Friday, on schedule.

He did the food shopping because he didn't want to give my mother food money in case she spent 2¢ over what he felt should be spent on food.

Stinginess ran in the family

--R150
replies 154Dec 9, 2017 6:46 AM +00:00

R150 again. My grandparents moved to FL when I was 12. It wasn't until years later that I realized the whole Sunday setup was weird. My mother brought it up and by that time I had seen tv shows where families went to grandma's house for Sunday dinner.

--Anonymous
replies 155Dec 9, 2017 6:53 AM +00:00

i have never heard of such a thing R155. I am incredulous. Really? That either your mother or father put up with it as well. I guess your father was damaged and he had control over your mother so she had no say? Extremely fucked up. Not weird. Sick.

--Anonymous
replies 156Dec 9, 2017 7:19 AM +00:00

Did your grandmother blow your grandfather in the dining room after the roast dinner, while he smoked a cigar, with all you in the living room eyes glued to the CO-LEUR tv?

--Anonymous
replies 157Dec 9, 2017 7:20 AM +00:00

So every Sunday, they knew you were coming over, yet they never made enough for everyone of invited you to sit and eat?? I can understand THE FIRST TIME not having enough, but every Sunday for years? And with a roast, there had to be plenty.

My parents are being opposite stingy. My mother can no longer cook, and my father won't learn how, so they eat cheeseticks, Boost and sandwiches. My mother is withering away. So one Sunday I came down with 2 big pans of casseroles they could heat & enjoy all week. My dad goes, oh you cooked this already? He HATES the microwave. Then he sent me home with one of the casseroles. "We don't like leftovers." FFS

--Anonymous
replies 158Dec 9, 2017 8:42 AM +00:00

R150 That's just awful! I can't imagine grandparents behaving that way!

--Anonymous
replies 159Dec 9, 2017 9:24 AM +00:00

WTF, R150. I'm sorry you had to grow up in such a family.

--Anonymous
replies 160Dec 9, 2017 11:39 AM +00:00

R150's story reminded me of the time a college friend and I were driving down from New York to San Francisco during summer break in college in the early 80's. The plan was to stop off at his dad's house in Colorado on one of the nights because my friend had not met his dad in over two years. My friend called his dad several times during the trip to update him on our progress, and we were able to let him know pretty accurately the time we would be at their place. Well, we arrived at the dad's mansion at 6:30 pm as promised, and were met at the door by the housekeeper who informed us that the parents were having dinner, and we should come back later. We could see his dad and step-mom sitting and eating - by themselves - on the dining table through the window, and they had to have been aware of our car driving up. My friend and I went away and had dinner at a fast food place and returned to the dad's house afterwards. We spent the entire evening sitting with the dad in his study, silently listening to him he lecture us on conservative politics and the failings of the current generation. At 10 pm, the housekeeper brought in ONE cup of coffee and a small plate of crackers and cheese which the dad and the step-mom ate in front of us while they watched the news. Neither parent asked us if we had eaten, or offered even a drink - though the dad certainly had plenty of whiskys while lecturing us. Anyway, at 11, we were led to our beds (cots set up in the basement - I mean, this HAD to have been a six bedroom house easily). Around midnight, the step-mom tip-toed into the basement, bearing a plate with two baloney sandwiches and two cans of coke. She didn't apologize or anything, but she made sure we were comfortable, and as she was leaving, she gave my friend a hug and said "You know how he is" and my friend said "I hope he didn't count the slices of bread or we'll be in trouble!"

Anyway, when we climbed up the stairs the following morning, the dad was waiting right at the door. He shook our hands, said goodbye, and suggested we get on the road so that we could cover as much distance as possible. And then he went to the dining room, presumably to have his own breakfast.

--Anonymous
replies 161Dec 9, 2017 12:15 PM +00:00

These are some fucked up stories. R158, maybe see if your mom qualifies for Meals on Wheels.

--Anonymous
replies 162Dec 9, 2017 1:02 PM +00:00

People like the guy in R161 have no business having kids. They eat too much.

Reminds me of my divorced dad who wanted to dump me on my financially struggling mother, who worked a factory job and couldn’t afford to support me. His girlfriend wanted me out of their lives, so he simply quit buying food for the house. I recycled bottles at the local 7/11 to get money for food. I ate a big sandwich a day and slept a lot.

I knew my mom had no money to feed me so I avoided being a burden on her for as long as I could. Stuff like that messes up your metabolism.

Was your friend skinny or fat, R161?

--Anonymous
replies 163Dec 9, 2017 1:06 PM +00:00

Yeah I would recommend MOW for r158's parents. They will probably have to go to a local MOW location to eat, but the transportation to get there is usually free. I work with a lot of elderly people and most of them LOVE going to MOW. The food is free and that is their social outing where they socialize and gossip with other seniors, especially ones that don't like casinos or church.

--Anonymous
replies 164Dec 9, 2017 1:11 PM +00:00

Hug for you r163. Parents can make such a fuck up of their responsibilities. How is it that in so many cultures the sharing of food is such a joyous expression of familial love and yet in so many individual cases it can used to control and deprive?

--Anonymous
replies 165Dec 9, 2017 1:24 PM +00:00

Damn. Some of you should not have been born. I mean that in the nicest, most sympathetic way possible, of course.

--Anonymous
replies 166Dec 9, 2017 1:29 PM +00:00

Sorry but as a college boy, if I were invited to someone's house and treated as described in R161, I would first ASK FOR A DRINK OR SNACK, and then if refused, I would head for the cheapest motel or sleep in the car. And there is no way I would sleep in a my buddy's partent's big house's basement, on a cot, with loads of bedrooms available.

Again, I am incredulous.

--Anonymous
replies 167Dec 9, 2017 1:29 PM +00:00

They were young, R167. Probably the friend didn’t want to embarrass his friend any further.

R166, I know exactly what you mean and I agree. Some people are too selfish and irresponsible to have kids and both of my parents were like that. People like that think of children as trophies or toys, not people, but when they get tired of them they can’t throw them away, so the kid suffers.

--R163
replies 168Dec 9, 2017 1:35 PM +00:00

R167 all I can really say is that I wasn't raised that way, and even as a confident adult, I certainly would never ask for a snack in someone else's house. I mean, this family looked so much wealthier than anything I had ever experienced before that I was already feeling out of my depth. I had no idea how to address the housekeeper, for instance. And I was horribly embarrassed for my friend - as R168 points out - and spent the entire evening looking towards him for cues on how to act. Since he seemed to take it without protest, I could only do the same. We had no idea that we were sleeping in the (finished) basement on cots till we were led there. My friend did used to have a room for himself (upstairs ) when he would come for his summer visitation growing up, so we had pretty much assumed we would either be sharing that room or be given different rooms. In fact, one of the main reasons he wanted to stop off at his dad's house was to collect some personal items and books from his childhood. Unfortunately, when we were led to the basement, the dad told us not to wander around as the security system would be activated, so he could not even go upstairs to see if his childhood room was still the same. He did write to his step-mother later and she sent over some of the things that she could find.

R163 - My friend was healthy and well built - he grew up mostly with his mom, so he was not deprived in any way. I think the Dad was just making it as clear as possible that the son should expect nothing more from him. Sorry to hear about your horrible childhood.

Oh - and R167 - here is another story about stingy parents which you probably wouldn't believe either, but is completely true. I didn't it share earlier because its not about food exactly. One of my co-workers during college was living at home, but working full-time through college not just to pay his fees, but because his dad would present him with an itemized bill every week (every WEEK!) for his expenses. My friend brought some of these bills to work and we laughed our asses off at the things his dad was billing him for: half loads of laundry, for instance, because the dad washed my friend's towels with his own laundry. Half a can of soup and two slices of bread for dinner. 1/3 of 1/2 the electricity bill because my friend was out of town for 10 days that month. A turkey sub that the dad bought for himself, but my friend's dog ate. (or so the dad claimed). Apparently the dad had been doing this with his kids the moment each turned 18, "to teach them about the real world". Needless to say, my friend moved out as soon as he and his girlfriend could afford the down-payment on an apartment.

--Anonymous
replies 169Dec 9, 2017 2:18 PM +00:00

I feel so bad for all of you that had poor parenting. It's not fair, and it's not your fault. There are so many couples that should never have been parents. Having children is a huge responsibility. But also joyous and rewarding.

--Anonymous
replies 170Dec 9, 2017 2:23 PM +00:00

R169, your second story would have made a good episode of That '70s Show.

--Red Forman's foot
replies 171Dec 9, 2017 2:39 PM +00:00

I used to think that these stories were commonplace around the world, but having traveled extensively, and met people from many different cultures in the states as well as abroad, I am forced to the sad conclusion that its only us Americans who are so screwed up. So yeah, R171, our sitcoms do reflect our culture, but in the nicest way and for only 30 minutes.

--r161/169
replies 172Dec 9, 2017 3:07 PM +00:00

You misunderstood. I know it would have been impolite to ask for a snack but I would have because I would have been pissed off at the incredibly rude hospitality being shown. Just to make a point. Also, it is possible some people are SO insular that they are stingy by accident in which case they would immediately correct themselves and their poor hosting manners.

As for cross cultural manners and hospitality, as an American I did learn to adapt my ways living in France England and Switzerland and with German friends. I grew up in a family that was extremely generous but also extremely casual about hosting. Meaning a house guest would be served correctly and generously but there was also the "help yourself" culture that is somewhat common in the USA. For example, "helpyourself in the morning to whatever you'd like". Or giving a tour of the kitchen and cupboards and saying Please help yourself whenever you'd like a snack. Especially if one is not on 24/7 hosting duties.

But many Europeans are absolutely bewildered and frozen by "help yourself". They simply COULD NOT get up in the morning and make themselves breakfast if I was sleeping, for example. Many would never dream of opening a hosts refrigerator. They MUST be served and meals, drinks, snacks must be shared together.

--Anonymous
replies 173Dec 9, 2017 3:18 PM +00:00

Also early on, I made the mistake of "helping myself" in the home of very good European friends, when a houseguest, and they were for the most part polite about it but you could tell they were bewildered and offended about my brashness.

The grandparents eating their Sunday dinner is the worst story in this thread.

--Anonymous
replies 174Dec 9, 2017 3:21 PM +00:00

Anyone else block these complaining bitches?

--Anonymous
replies 175Dec 9, 2017 3:31 PM +00:00

Are you kidding, R175? This is the Thread of the Weekend.

--Anonymous
replies 176Dec 9, 2017 3:34 PM +00:00

Though my family was never rich, I suppose we are the same ethnicity of these 'wasps' everyone talks about (Anglo, non religious white British descent). Food was never a big part of my upbringing as it is with Italian or Asian descended people I know. For example, we never ate dinner together as a family growing up. My parents would eat an 'adult' meal and the kids would eat microwave/oven meals like pies, sausage rolls, chicken nuggets, frozen lasagna, etc. Things only got stingy when I was a teenager. We went through financial hardships that were only made worse by my older brother and sister moving out (my parents helped support them while studying). My father was very particular about his own life, and didn't care about anyone else's. He started teaching in 1985 and every day Monday-Friday he would have a white bread sandwich with pickle spread and ham. He would have a bowl of Sustain with milk and a white coffee for breakfast and meat + potatoes/carrots/peas (the only veg he ate) for dinner. On weekends he would have three salada cracker 'sandwiches' with either vegemite, pickled onions or sometimes peanut butter. He would have six beers a night.

When we went broke, he refused to change his habits at all - not even getting homebrand crackers or bread. In about 2012, I was in high school and working part time in fast food on top of going to class. I paid for all of my own foods (I ordered lunches at school, and often ate at my fast food places before my shifts most nights) because there was literally NO food in the house. Besides my dad's foods (which he had organised exactly how much he ate each week, and if someone had a single crumb of cereal or drop of milk, it would throw him off) - there wasn't any food.

I'm glad that I had my mum around, because she did try her hardest to feed me on the limited budget we had - she would always get friday take out despite my dad hating take away foods.

When I was a child I used to dread my mum going away (she sometimes did HSC marking in the big city, where she was away for weeks, and sometimes went on school excursions, or visited my grandparents), because my dad would simply not even consider feeding us. It's like he didn't realise we existed - or he didn't know we needed food to survive.

It's bizarre, and it's not the exact same as the rest of these posts because neither were stingy out of selfishness, just ignorance and lack of money.

--Anonymous
replies 177Dec 9, 2017 5:08 PM +00:00

R177 you described a selfish mean father. And then denied that fact.

--Anonymous
replies 178Dec 9, 2017 5:25 PM +00:00

R177 had a very Roger Waters does Dickens feel...

--Anonymous
replies 179Dec 9, 2017 5:31 PM +00:00

Suzanne DePasse says on Rupaul's podcast that when she flew from New York to Detroit for her Motown job interview with Berry Gordy, he was served and ate breakfast while she watched him eat and was offered nothing.

--Anonymous
replies 180Dec 9, 2017 7:09 PM +00:00

R177, what did your mother eat? Did she eat away from home? Was she skinny?

To me, if a guy is withholding food from his kids, he’s subconsciously (or consciously) saying he doesn’t want any kids.

Why do women stay with these guys, or have kids in the first place, knowing they’ve married someone who begrudges their children food?

I know people used to think women should be married at all costs, and even a horrible husband was better than one at all, but how humiliating it must be to know that other parents are probably hearing from their kids that “that’s the family where the kids get no food.”

--Anonymous
replies 181Dec 9, 2017 7:57 PM +00:00

Also, R177, I used to live with an alcoholic and the budget was constantly being blown up because of his incessant drinking. A six pack a night on a tight budget is a lot of money. He was probably drinking the grocery money and there was no money left over for food.

--Anonymous
replies 182Dec 9, 2017 8:01 PM +00:00
That's the way my mother's family was [R51].

Mine too. I can't imagine any sort of get together involving family without lots to eat and drink. In fact, we are planning this year's Christmas dinner right now. And everyone is always encouraged to bring someone who might be alone for Christmas, yet we still end up with enough leftovers for everyone to take tons home.

--Anonymous
replies 183Dec 9, 2017 8:55 PM +00:00

I have a help yourself story. Im Guatemalan and when a tween (13 years old but looked 11) went to study for 2 months as an exchange student in Texas. The family was normal (tho Im sure evangelical deplorables) in thst they were neither stingy nor excessive with the food. I have never been a big eater and then I was extremely picky and it felt normal, a little too much in the housemeals. The funny thing about the help yourself is that where Im from that just doesnt happen. The first time I went with the mother to the grocery she asked what fruits I wanted, I said these and those, but because I was used to being served my meals (by either my mothet, grandmother or the help) the fruits went to waste in the fruit basket and she had to throw them. She didnt said anything or was weird about it but I was very ashamed. Also only the first school day she served me breakfast and said help yourself, well the rest of the days I didnt eat anything for breakfast and by lunchtime in school I was famished. In fact by mid morning I could only think about eating something. That went on for about 3 or 4 weeks until she may had realized my predicament and started serving me breakfast.

--Anonymous
replies 184Dec 9, 2017 9:30 PM +00:00

My family was pretty stingy with food. But that's because we were and still are poor. We'd eat rations of cheap pastas, hamburger, hotdogs, and pasta helpers and soups. We had a few rationed go to meals on rotations. Take out was a treat for us. I moved out years ago, and they still eat this way to this day.

--I can't believe all of the rich stingy people.
replies 185Dec 9, 2017 10:21 PM +00:00

I’ve got a few stingy food stories. My father came from a family of 10 children. He was the oldest. The brother next to him lived with my grandmother. Grandma got sick with cancer. My uncle was about 50 years old at the time. He got his “wife” to come care for Grandma after she came home from the hospital. The other children chipped in to pay her to do it. Thing was….no one knew he had a wife. My uncle had kept her and their 3 children stashed in town, just 5 miles away and managed to keep them a secret. The first time I saw the new aunt I realized she was the cashier we usually had at the Colonial Store grocery store in town.

Fast forward about 6 months and Grandma died on a Saturday morning. She and most of the family were very active in the church. The family had gathered at Grandma’s house (where the new aunt now lived) that same afternoon. The ladies from the church started bringing food. I remember platters of fried chicken, barbeque, roasts, homemade macaroni and cheese, cheese straws, some of the most beautiful cakes and pies I’ve ever seen, jugs and jugs of tea, pounds of coffee (even a huge coffee maker), and loads of other food.

The new aunt directed the ladies to take the food into the kitchen. Her sister stood ready with aluminum foil. Anything that was freezable was wrapped in foil and placed in Grandma’s huge freezer. The rest went in the refrigerator. New aunt said she was saving the food for a family get-together. No one except for my uncle really knew her, so they took her at her word.

Sunday and Monday, the food kept coming. I didn’t know what little barbaric shits they were at the time, so I had found new playmates in the 3 new cousins, so I was at Grandma’s house a lot. It was the same routine every day. Church ladies with food, food to kitchen, new aunt’s sister with the aluminum foil, food to freezer.

Grandma’s funeral was Tuesday afternoon. New aunt found a new role as social butterfly. She invited all the family and lots of other people at the funeral to Grandma’s house after the service. I’d guess probably 50 people showed up, including many of the ladies who had prepared the food. A few people brought even more food. Into the freezer it went. Everyone sat around and chatted for about 2 hours. People were looking around, wondering where the food was. Not a single morsel of food or drink ever appeared. People finally started leaving. We rarely got takeout food, but my parents took us to Hardees. There were about a dozen familiar faces in there.

The ironic thing is that new aunt told one of the church ladies that they could serve dinner at noon the next day. The lady said, “We’ll get right on it.” She then rolled her eyes and walked off. It looked like she shot the bird at her also, but I couldn’t swear to it.

--Anonymous
replies 186Dec 9, 2017 11:00 PM +00:00

R186 tale of woe also qualifies for the Ever Had A Soap Opera Moment In Your Life? (hidden family shows up.)

How did the freezer fit all this food? Did Grandma leave anything to this woman in the will? That's the next part of that story....

--Anonymous
replies 187Dec 10, 2017 4:58 AM +00:00

I grew up in an Italian family. You couldn't visit Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, cousins without being expected to eat. And of course there's always the "help yourself" statement if you're visiting for any extended period of time. But I never felt comfortable doing that, with family or friends. Still don't.

--Anonymous
replies 188Dec 10, 2017 5:18 AM +00:00

R186 and the poster with the trailer trash in-laws are maddening. Did you every have much contact with your new aunt, R186? Get any of that surreptitious frozen food?

--Anonymous
replies 189Dec 10, 2017 6:11 AM +00:00

R137 I knew someone like that. She lived in a huge home with an inground pool, hot tub house, tiki bar etc. Perfect for entertaining. But she had no friends and hated having people over. Her husband was a phenomenal cook however. So, they would call everyone at seven pm to announce they were having a cookout/birthday/whatever and could we stop by. Knowing full well people would've already made plans. I swear this was by design so that she could look hospitable without actually being hospitable.

--Anonymous
replies 190Dec 10, 2017 6:11 AM +00:00

All these stories reminds me of something I read about Trump in one of the unauthorized books about him. When he was starting to make his way into Manhattan, he had a meeting with some big shots and invited them to his office for a lunch meeting. The lunch consisted of cheese sandwiches made from Kraft cheese slices on white bread and cans of Coke. Those who didn't drink soda weren't offered anything else and each person only received one sandwich.

--Anonymous
replies 191Dec 10, 2017 9:47 AM +00:00