Join the Bitchfest >>

Jonathan Groff #14

Why stop a party?

--Anonymous
replies 226Nov 28, 2017 5:22 PM +00:00

There's no real reason for skipping #13, other than it wasn't meant to be. I made a mistake.....carry on.

--Anonymous
replies 1Nov 28, 2017 5:33 PM +00:00

Video of Groff on Show People will be released tomorrow.

“Hear all about Jonathan Groff’s giggle fits on @MINDHUNTER_ and SPRING AWAKENING on this week’s episode of #ShowPeople, premiering tomorrow on the site! https://t.co/PCavUpo5nW”
Twitter
--Anonymous
replies 2Nov 28, 2017 6:04 PM +00:00

Are we skipping thread #13 out of superstition?

--Anonymous
replies 3Nov 28, 2017 6:07 PM +00:00

R3 Nope. Full disclosure. I just didn't pay attention.

--Anonymous
replies 4Nov 28, 2017 6:13 PM +00:00

I notice how every time an interviewer asks Groff about season 2 of Mindhunter, he says it hasn't yet been official yet, and that he won't believe it's totally real until he's actually there shooting. He's said in the past Looking has left him heartbroken in terms of projects he was sure would get more seasons. I wonder if he finds Mindhunter too good to be true. I really Fincher doesn't get called out on sexual misconduct or something crazy like that.

--Anonymous
replies 5Nov 28, 2017 8:32 PM +00:00

I hate to say it but Fincher is suspect to me due to his connection with Spacey. I’m sure Spacey knew to cover up his predatory actions around powerful directors - but still.

But that’s just me being suspicious. As far as I know the Mindhunter delay is due simply to the fact that Fincher did not like the first set of scripts & asked for a total rewrite. They can’t really greenlight or do pre-production until there are new approved scripts.

--Anonymous
replies 6Nov 29, 2017 12:31 AM +00:00

R6 That's exactly what I was thinking. There's no way Fincher didn't at least hear about the Spacey conduct (in his personal life) and there are allegations that he was abusive on set as well. Fincher's a smart guy, I have to believe he knew of at least some of the conduct and chose to ignore them. Not saying Fincher is evil, but hopefully something horrible doesn't come out against him as well. I'm sure that's on Groff's mind.

--Anonymous
replies 7Nov 29, 2017 1:22 AM +00:00

I don’t think Groff would work with someone he knew to be a bad person, but I do find it hard to reconcile Fincher’s reputation for seeing & noticing every tiny detail on set with him being completely unaware of Spacey being a predator.

That having been said I will also grant him that he only shot the first two episodes of House of Cards & although he is an exec producer, he has not been involved in hands-on operations since. It’s possible Spacey managed not to harass the crew for the first two episodes. Still, I am waiting for someone to ask Fincher about Spacey’s fall & I hope he repudiates him strongly, because until then I am still suspicious.

--Anonymous
replies 8Nov 29, 2017 1:41 AM +00:00

R8 Exactly. I agree with all of your points. The fact that Fincher hasn't repudiated or commented on Spacey or the specific allegations of harassment and misconduct on the HoC set makes me suspicious too. In terms of Groff working with a "bad" person, there's no way he would've known all of this when he signed on to be in Mindhunter. I wonder if anyone (Holt/Anna) have had conversations with Fincher about Spacey, or if they don't have that sort of open relationship with Fincher.

--Anonymous
replies 9Nov 29, 2017 2:14 AM +00:00

Anna seems like a feminist so I also doubt she would work with anyone she thought was questionable. But it doesn’t seem like any of them (in my observation) have that close of a personal relationship with Fincher. It seems very strictly professional & they all seem somewhat intimidated by him.

Quinto also worked with Spacey & if he knew something Groff would know. But based on Quinto’s statement, he didn’t. It’s possible that Spacey, like many predators, knew to conceal his behavior from powerful people & only abuse the young or relatively powerless.

--Anonymous
replies 10Nov 29, 2017 2:56 AM +00:00

R10 Even friends I know in LA knew about the rumors from being around the industry. I have to believe they at least heard rumblings of Spacey but they weren't ever confirmed. I'm 99% sure Fincher knew about Spacey's behavior. I would like to hear his comments.

--Anonymous
replies 11Nov 29, 2017 2:59 AM +00:00

That would suck if there was no season 2 because of Fincher. Is he next?

--Anonymous
replies 12Nov 29, 2017 3:56 AM +00:00

Let’s not leap to that. We don’t know of anything wrong or inappropriate about Fincher. There have never been bad rumors about him that I’m aware of. He just happens to have worked with Spacey a couple of times - which MANY directors & actors have done, who are not necessarily bad people themselves. I just would like to hear him say something about it.

--Anonymous
replies 13Nov 29, 2017 4:09 AM +00:00

Best. Recorded. Jonathan. Groff. Interview. EVER.

Show People with Paul Wontorek

Calling it.

--Anonymous
replies 14Nov 29, 2017 1:26 PM +00:00

R14 I was just about to post the same thing. Groff is really open about everything, and I feel like he'd pretty much answer anything with the exception of bad mouthing someone or being overtly political. Since Paul has known him for a long time and is a friend, he "went there". More people need to ask him personal questions like that.

--Anonymous
replies 15Nov 29, 2017 2:08 PM +00:00

R15 So glad Paul went for it. Already heard Jon's summary of Mindhunter, so glossed right over that.

--Anonymous
replies 16Nov 29, 2017 2:46 PM +00:00

Particularly liked the question about if he wanted to have kids and maybe live in Lancaster again one day, if he's happiest when he's on the farm or in the city, and if what his type is.

--Anonymous
replies 17Nov 29, 2017 2:52 PM +00:00

I love that jacket on him. Does anyone know what brand it is? Because I want it.

--Anonymous
replies 18Nov 29, 2017 3:03 PM +00:00

I haven’t had a chance to listen to all of it yet - so DOES he want kids? A recurring question in these threads.

--Anonymous
replies 19Nov 29, 2017 3:42 PM +00:00

R19 He says he would need to find a boyfriend before he starts to think about kids, but that the feeling of sitting next to his parents/brother/nephew/niece is a feeling he'd like to create one day.

--Anonymous
replies 20Nov 29, 2017 3:48 PM +00:00

There were rumors that Fincher was creepily obsessed with Rooney Mara during filming and promotion of Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, but by all accounts it was reciprocal and consensual. Or as consensual as a director with a young ingenue can be anyway.

Wouldn’t surprise me if the girlfriend role in Mindhunter was cast because she fits Fincher’s type: waifish, Bambi eyed, soft spoken.

--Anonymous
replies 21Nov 29, 2017 4:23 PM +00:00

R21 That makes sense. I can definitely see a resemblance between Rooney and Hannah Gross. I haven't seen Hannah do any press (besides a few print interviews) for Mindhunter. You'd think she'd at least do a small interview online or something. She said in an interview she hasn't even seen Mindhunter because she doesn't have Netflix. I wonder if Groff will have a new love interest in season 2.

--Anonymous
replies 22Nov 29, 2017 4:52 PM +00:00

R20 that’s sweet, thanks for sharing

--Anonymous
replies 23Nov 29, 2017 5:46 PM +00:00

If you could play matchmaker for Groff with a celebrity (actor/musician/theater actor) who would you pair him with?

--Anonymous
replies 24Nov 29, 2017 5:49 PM +00:00

Wow, Groff's first nomination for Mindhunter! Hopefully this is the first of many to come!

www.pressacademy.com
--Anonymous
replies 25Nov 29, 2017 6:07 PM +00:00

R18 I believe it is Armani. He wore it at an event he attended with Lea Michele (which took place at Armani).

--Anonymous
replies 26Nov 29, 2017 6:13 PM +00:00

R26 I believe you are correct - good eye.

Jonathan Groff at NYC Armani to promote Lea Michele's new album Places. 26 April 2017.
Pinterest
--Anonymous
replies 27Nov 29, 2017 6:24 PM +00:00

Hoping the international recognition from the Satellite nomination can land him a Golden Globe nom.

--Anonymous
replies 28Nov 29, 2017 7:00 PM +00:00

R28 I hope so too. Many seem to think he'll definitely get nominated, but there are so many good tv shows now, I wonder if he has a chance.

--Anonymous
replies 29Nov 29, 2017 7:35 PM +00:00

Thanks R26

---R18
replies 30Nov 29, 2017 7:53 PM +00:00

R20 Actually he was rather vague, he kind of avoided the direct answer. Enjoying family gatherings that include his brother's children is not the answer to the direct question. If he really wanted children it would be straight "yes". This way he says "I don't know yet". He is also a bit ambivalent about living in the country vs living in the city, although he did end with the firm statement: he is the happiest in NYC when riding his bike on a way to a play.

--Anonymous
replies 31Nov 29, 2017 10:00 PM +00:00

Groff has become the guy everyone wants to set up, including me. You can't rush love but Groff is a very attractive guy, isn't shy, has a sense of humor, active, down to earth, fit, self effacing, generally very warm, seems easygoing....hell, I'm nearly keeping my eyes peeled on his behalf at this point. Ha! He'll find the right one eventually.

R24 I can picture him with someone who works outside the 'business' or maybe behind the camera. It'll be interesting to see who he ends up with, whenever that may be.

--Anonymous
replies 32Nov 29, 2017 10:07 PM +00:00

R31 I mean, I'm sure he can't predict where his life will lead him, so he kinda just said, "at some point" that would be something he'd possibly want to recreate.

R32 I can definitely see him with someone behind the scenes or outside of the business. It must be slightly tricky for him because he needs someone who understands his lifestyle and interest for theater/movies/tv, but Groff is also someone who reads and is interested in the world. Also maybe someone who is not self obsessed and wants to be on social media or their phone all of the time? Strange because he was with Quinto who seems a bit obsessed with himself/social media. But they were young, so I'm sure Groff's standards have matured/changed. I can see him with someone a bit older as well.

--Anonymous
replies 33Nov 29, 2017 10:11 PM +00:00

R31 It seemed to me that he said he wanted a family at some point, but didn't see a point in focusing on that when he doesn't have the boyfriend yet. Which I get.

--Anonymous
replies 34Nov 29, 2017 10:13 PM +00:00

I honestly can’t think of anyone who is a celeb and single and good enough for him. He probably needs to date outside of the industry. A nice quiet man who is successful in his own line of work & not eager for the spotlight would be ideal for him.

--Anonymous
replies 35Nov 30, 2017 2:09 AM +00:00

R35 Agreed, I can't think of anyone either. Though I wonder with his career blowing up, Groff will be all over the place - traveling for movies on his off time from Pittsburgh for Mindhunter (assuming it gets it's full 5 seasons). That sort of inconsistency in terms of living situation will be hard on a serious relationship, so the guy needs to be able to easily move around with him.

--Anonymous
replies 36Nov 30, 2017 2:36 AM +00:00

Do you think if present day Groff met Quinto, he'd be into him? Or do you think his standards have changed? I wonder if he's attracted to people like Quinto still. He's made joking comments about how, if people got to know his dating habits, they'd know how fucked up he is is in personal life. I wonder if he's attracted to people who aren't the best for him or are deserving of him.

--Anonymous
replies 37Nov 30, 2017 2:40 AM +00:00

R32, it a strange situation to be in when your public profile is so pristine, people assume you are without issues. Publiclly his image projects all of the things you've mentioned. Privately though, he says he is fucked up and his choices in boyfriends has so far been questionable. Never assume the public image is the complete picture of the private one.

Both Quinto and Creel were notorious sluts who either liked open relationships or were notorious in Hollywood for cheating (Quinto).

--Anonymous
replies 38Nov 30, 2017 3:40 AM +00:00

If I had to guess, I would say the ones whom he really likes are the ones who play a mean shell game: always keeping the ball rolling and always keeping him on edge as to where they stand in the relationship. In other words, he seems to only like guys who are hard to get. Both Creel and Wuinto were like that. Most of the guys who seem to feel he is great boyfriend material (just about every guy he knows such as Cohen) are never really in the running.

But since I also do not know him privately, that is just a guess based on past interviews and confirmed boyfriends.

--Anonymous
replies 39Nov 30, 2017 3:46 AM +00:00

He said before in an interview he likes a guy with a little mystery.

He has also said he often doesn't respond to texts, emails or voicemails from guys. Sounds like the more they pursue, the less interested he is.

--Anonymous
replies 40Nov 30, 2017 3:48 AM +00:00

R40 When has he said he doesn't reply to texts/emails/vm's? How is he supposed to date without doing those things?

--Anonymous
replies 41Nov 30, 2017 3:52 AM +00:00

R38 The fact that he's able to maintain a friendship with Lea Michele suggests to me he's definitely not as "pristine" as his outward image suggests. He's definitely got a bitchy side that he doesn't show in public.

--Anonymous
replies 42Nov 30, 2017 3:54 AM +00:00

R41 Some interview with Cohen I believe. It was from a few years ago. He said it offhandedly. I believe it was he forgets to respond, but still.

It just goes along with his other little comments over the years: he likes a challenge.

--Anonymous
replies 43Nov 30, 2017 3:59 AM +00:00

R42 Agreed

--Anonymous
replies 44Nov 30, 2017 4:00 AM +00:00

R43 Definitely agree he likes a challenge. He seems like he needs to be constantly inspired by a guy - which I don't blame him for because he's pretty extraordinary himself.

--Anonymous
replies 45Nov 30, 2017 4:02 AM +00:00

I think he would still be into a guy like Quinto in that Quinto is intelligent, into good causes, and takes his craft seriously (possibly too seriously).

But IMO, beyond the open relationship issue I also think another factor is that Quinto seems very controlling & I think that’s reflected in the fact that he immediately got with a guy who was basically a younger version of Groff but has no career of his own to speak of (I know he’s a model but that’ll be over soon enough) and can just follow Quinto around the world. I don’t think Quinto would be happy with someone whose career is on the rise. He clearly wants to be the star in the relationship & let his mate just be his “muse”.

Groff might be happy with that kind of dominance initially but not in the long run. Perhaps that’s part of why he has focused on career ever since.

--Anonymous
replies 46Nov 30, 2017 4:50 AM +00:00

Mindhunter season 2 confirmed by Netflix.

733 Likes, 98 Comments - MINDHUNTER (@mindhunter) on Instagram: “We need to talk to more subjects. MINDHUNTER Season 2 is coming.”
Instagram
--Anonymous
replies 47Nov 30, 2017 6:42 AM +00:00

Hey now, let's not insult Jonathan! Quinto's boyfriend is in NO way a younger version of Groff.

--Anonymous
replies 48Nov 30, 2017 6:45 AM +00:00

Jonathan Groff as likebale as he is seems very rehearsed to me. It’s like the interview is a stage and he gives the same rehearsed performance each time. I rarely hear anything new about him or from him. And if an interviewer manages to get past his armor, Jonathan give ambiguous neutral answers.

He seems like a highly intelligent, loyal, and very diplomatic. Wish he let his armor down a bit.

--vunique
replies 49Nov 30, 2017 7:39 AM +00:00

Jonathan is still a huge fan of Gavin.Why did they break up?Just because of open relationship?

--Anonymous
replies 50Nov 30, 2017 7:55 AM +00:00

R50 They broke up because Jonathan dumped him and immediately started fucking Zach Q. Gavin wrote a song about what a trifling whore he was but they seem to be friendly now so maybe he's over it.

--Anonymous
replies 51Nov 30, 2017 8:12 AM +00:00

He needs a guy with a ball or two missing: because there’s no way any man in his life gets him without having to share a huge amount of him with Lea Michele. A ball or two missing... maybe a certain CBS TV star...

--Anonymous
replies 52Nov 30, 2017 8:32 AM +00:00

R52 I'm missing it. To whom are you referring?

--Anonymous
replies 53Nov 30, 2017 8:59 AM +00:00

R48 lmao sorry I just meant he’s got fluffy hair & he’s pretty (although nothing compared to Groff)

Unlike Groff he doesn’t look like he’s ever had a thought in his head but I could be wrong about that.

--Anonymous
replies 54Nov 30, 2017 9:19 AM +00:00

in fact Lea Michele is the deadly albatross around Groff’s neck that will prevent him from ever having a lasting relationship with any worthwhile man. He should just marry HER.

--Anonymous
replies 55Nov 30, 2017 9:20 AM +00:00

R55 please don’t encourage the crazy Glee fans who love to go around claiming that they ARE secretly married & having a baby lol

--Anonymous
replies 56Nov 30, 2017 9:23 AM +00:00

R55 Nah. Doubt she's the one holding him back. They each have separate lives. And I'm able to say that even though I can't STAND her. But anyone he's seriously interested in should love her or know how to fake it & at least tolerate her. Cause let's be honest, as long as they've been friends, she's not going anywhere.

--Anonymous
replies 57Nov 30, 2017 9:40 AM +00:00

R57, pipe dream. She’s an albatross. He’s doomed, and he’ll see.

--Anonymous
replies 58Nov 30, 2017 9:43 AM +00:00

R58 they live on opposite coasts & only see each other a few times a year, so that’s a little extreme. It’s not like anyone has to deal with her all the time.

--Anonymous
replies 59Nov 30, 2017 9:47 AM +00:00

R59, birds of a feather. The nice guy facade will be difficult for any worthwhile man to reconcile seeing her unabashedly vile, widely recognized behavior. No worthwhile man will be so blind to his veiled hypocrisy and shallowness. I emphasize: worthwhile.

--Anonymous
replies 60Nov 30, 2017 9:53 AM +00:00

R49 Think you're right on ALL those points. He is rehearsed as well as, diplomatic, loyal, and intelligent. He's a great PR person. He always gives a great summary & is excited about each show he does. He throws excessive flattery on his directors and willingly praises his co-actors & the writers.

As for his personal stories, don't think it's purposeful. Each one of us has a past. If reporters were asking us the same questions over and over, there are some things that won't change. After awhile, you're giving the same response. I enjoy those times (this last interview, fresh air podcast) he's thrown curveball questions. You can tell when he really has to think before he answers.

He seems to answer honestly. I think the neutral vibe is what we get because he doesn't know. When I was single, I didn't have a type either. But when I met him, it all clicked.

--Anonymous
replies 61Nov 30, 2017 10:17 AM +00:00

R40, r41& r43 Saying he forgets to text/call/email was his nice way of saying 'no, thanks'. I've used the same excuse. And he just said he deletes texts & emails after responding so he doesn't forget to respond to someone. So if he 'forgets', it's probably intentional.

--Anonymous
replies 62Nov 30, 2017 10:24 AM +00:00

R50, R51 Groff gets crap on here for leaving Gavin, but wasn't Gavin his first relationship after coming out to family & friends? They may have been in love, but Gavin (since he was older) should've known that wasn't going to end with forever. Young & hot. Jon already had men coming at him before he came out. Once out, he was probably like a kid in a candy store.

--Anonymous
replies 63Nov 30, 2017 10:30 AM +00:00

R60 if him being a nice guy is a facade then he must be the best actor in the world because I have never heard anyone who has met him say anything but the kindest things about him. Give him the Oscar!

--Anonymous
replies 64Nov 30, 2017 10:33 AM +00:00

R59 I agree, unless Lea decides to move to NYC, they live on opposite coasts, and visits will be limited. If she moves to NYC it could definitely become a problem. She seems like a demanding friend, especially because she constantly emphasizes that Groff is her BEST friend. I can see her giving him shit for not paying enough attention to her. If a guy really liked Groff, I think he would be able to explain him and Lea's history/friendship to him. They are almost like brother/sister. Who among us doesn't have an annoying family member that we have to deal with? If I met Groff and he explained his friendship with Lea, I would definitely be able put up with her for Groff.

--Anonymous
replies 65Nov 30, 2017 12:30 PM +00:00

R60 I don't think his "nice guy" is a facade, but he definitely has a bitchy side that he doesn't bring out in public.

--Anonymous
replies 66Nov 30, 2017 12:33 PM +00:00

R65 What’s funny is she calls him her BFF but yet she calls almost all of her friends that. I hope she doesn’t move to NYC but as long as she has The Mayor, she won’t anytime soon.

--Anonymous
replies 67Nov 30, 2017 1:08 PM +00:00

R66 just a question but how would you know what he doesn’t show to the public? Or is this just a guess.

--Anonymous
replies 68Nov 30, 2017 3:08 PM +00:00

R68 It's a guess - but in general, don't most of us have a "side" we show our private friends but don't show acquaintances? Groff is no different. And there's no way he could be close to someone like Lea Michele and not have a different side we don't see.

R67 99% sure The Mayor won't be renewed.

--Anonymous
replies 69Nov 30, 2017 3:24 PM +00:00

R69 fair enough. He’s made a bitchy joke or two in interviews. I’m fine with that though because I like a bit of a bitchy sense of humor.

--Anonymous
replies 70Nov 30, 2017 4:19 PM +00:00

The Mayor is about to be canceled.

--Anonymous
replies 71Nov 30, 2017 4:34 PM +00:00

R71 Yeah, I wonder when they'll announce it. I have a feeling as soon as it gets officially canceled, Lea will move to NYC to be with her boyfriend.

--Anonymous
replies 72Nov 30, 2017 4:43 PM +00:00

R72 That's already happened. She calls the bf 'Z'.

jgroffdaily.tumblr.com
--Anonymous
replies 73Nov 30, 2017 5:03 PM +00:00

R73 I mean she would leave LA semi-permanently to be with him, not just to visit for the holidays.

--Anonymous
replies 74Nov 30, 2017 6:03 PM +00:00

I didn’t realize The Mayor was doing so horribly. I just checked the ratings and they are bad. I agree it’s most likely cancelled. I don’t want her in NYC.

--Anonymous
replies 75Nov 30, 2017 6:22 PM +00:00

R75 LOL "I don't want her in NYC". I just spit my water out. It's like she's some disease or something.

--Anonymous
replies 76Nov 30, 2017 6:54 PM +00:00

I'm surprised "Black-ish" is in the "possible cancellation" boat, as well. Looks like Lea will be in NYC pretty soon.

--Anonymous
replies 77Nov 30, 2017 7:21 PM +00:00

She didn’t move to NYC after her last show was cancelled so I don’t know that she will now. I thought her boyfriend was also LA-based?

--Anonymous
replies 78Nov 30, 2017 11:52 PM +00:00

R78 She didn't really have a reason to move to NYC. She is in a serious relationship with her bf who has a place in NYC (from what I gather he only visits LA to stay with her) and has said she wants to start a family, and maybe go back to broadway. I was thinking if she has kids, she'd probably ask Groff to be a god dad. haha.

--Anonymous
replies 79Dec 1, 2017 12:26 AM +00:00

Moving this convo back to Groff (because I don't want to give her this much attention).

So Mindhunter gets a 2nd season? Great! So we'll get to talk about that in say, fall of 2019? Rrally hoping this second go round Fincher & Netflix can pick up the pace, and get this show out quicker.

--Anonymous
replies 80Dec 1, 2017 1:30 AM +00:00

R80 I can't believe we have to wait until the Fall of '19 to see season 2. I really hope Groff does something else that's major in the breaks. Hopefully a movie?? Anyone here going to his flywheel class today?

--Anonymous
replies 81Dec 1, 2017 1:36 AM +00:00

Hope he can back to broadway and get a Tony Award.

--Anonymous
replies 82Dec 1, 2017 2:02 AM +00:00

If he was going to book something major he’d have needed to do it already. He already has that Bobby Darin show in January. Then filming on s2 is due to begin in May but could very well be moved up since Holt said in a recent interview they were already scouting locations. And unless Fincher has stopped being Fincher, it’s gonna be a 10-month shoot.

Sorry kids we’re looking at another one of those Groff MIA cycles that are the bane of a Groff fan’s existence. You’ll learn to love Lea more when she’s posting the one pic/Snap we get to see of him in a blue moon.

--Anonymous
replies 83Dec 1, 2017 2:31 AM +00:00

R81 Flywheel's for charity, so it would be good to get as many pics out as possible of Groff while he's there. Especially if he's wearing small bike shorts. From the back. From the side. Ummmm...y'know.....just thinking that if he shows off how toned he is it might inspire others.

--Anonymous
replies 84Dec 1, 2017 4:14 AM +00:00

Hahahhaahah!

--Anonymous
replies 85Dec 1, 2017 4:19 AM +00:00

R84 LMAO way to be thoughtful

--Anonymous
replies 86Dec 1, 2017 4:43 AM +00:00

R84 YES.

R83 You're probably right. The only thing I'm looking forward to is that he/Mindhunter gets nominated for Emmy's/Golden Globes, and we get lots of Groff in suits/tuxs.

--Anonymous
replies 87Dec 1, 2017 6:44 AM +00:00

Major Broadway sexual harassment exposé to drop on Monday. Groff doesn't seem like the type to step forward about anyone, but I wonder if he's witnessed bad behavior from theater casting agents or producers, especially in his early days.

--Anonymous
replies 88Dec 1, 2017 10:18 AM +00:00

R88 Wow... how do you know this? I've always wondered if Groff has ever witnessed bad behavior - I'm sure he has, but he probably won't step forward.

Here's a photo from flywheel.

246 Likes, 9 Comments - Mario ????????Martinez (@marmarnyc) on Instagram: “What am #amazing #morning with @lgbtcenternyc and @cycleforthecause at Astor Place @flywheelsports…”
Instagram
--Anonymous
replies 89Dec 1, 2017 11:51 AM +00:00

R89 I wouldn't be surprised if he had to deal with it himself. Especially in his younger, more naive years.

--Anonymous
replies 90Dec 1, 2017 12:36 PM +00:00

I feel like maybe it’s best not to speculate if someone was harassed or not unless they choose to come forward.

--Anonymous
replies 91Dec 1, 2017 12:46 PM +00:00

R90 Yeah, or he's definitely known people who have had to deal with it.

--Anonymous
replies 92Dec 1, 2017 12:58 PM +00:00

Excuse me, while I give myself a few light hearted pats on the back. I was someone who continually said he & Murray were just friends. Was nearly laughed off the thread.

Suggesting single life turned stale for Groff and he is looking for someone permanent, made some so angry they called fraus. Nevermind that it came from a gay man who hasn't been single for a minute and whose friends run the gamut (bfs, single, LTR, and married). In the Show People interview he talked about past relationships, what his future may look like and really thought about (when asked) what he's looking for in a guy, saying 'this is important because it's what I'm putting out there'. Has he enjoyed being single in the past? Hell yeah. But for some of us, who don't mind being in relationships or prefer it, that life gets old after awhile. Seems Jon is likely one of those people.

Threw out that he seems the type to want a family someday & folks on here lost their shit. Yet, in the interview, he says just that and Paul even follows up by saying 'I want you to have that family, so what kind if guy are you looking for?'

Maybe Groff's just incredibly easy for me to read.

--Anonymous
replies 93Dec 2, 2017 7:24 AM +00:00

R93 LOL You are jumping into conclusions again. He did not mention Murray so no idea why you think you were right about that. We can all just speculate. Jonathan was very vague in his answers on Show People about his projected future (family, children). What he stated firmly is when he now feels the best (riding a bike to a play in NYC - so symbolic) and that he does not have a type i.e. that he dated guys of all physical types and all ages. This latter may be the only new bit of information about him that came out of the interview.

--Anonymous
replies 94Dec 2, 2017 9:26 AM +00:00

R94 He's said he's single, dating, talked about finding a bf god knows how many times recently, so those people fantasizing about he & Murray STILL, can probably give that a rest.

--Anonymous
replies 95Dec 2, 2017 10:46 AM +00:00

Forget about Murray. Never was more than a friend. Moving on.

--Anonymous
replies 96Dec 2, 2017 11:04 AM +00:00

Expanded Jon GQ interview:

“In reality, serial killers often have average IQs. They’re not geniuses.”
GQ
--Anonymous
replies 97Dec 3, 2017 6:01 PM +00:00

I'm beginning to think there's a really good chance of Groff being nominated for a Golden Globe. The nominations are in a week.

--Anonymous
replies 98Dec 3, 2017 7:21 PM +00:00

R94 When someone says they want to recreate the feeling of family for themselves, that he 'definitely wants to do that one day', it's hardly vague. Some people are able to read between the lines, while others want exact yes or no answers.

--Anonymous
replies 99Dec 3, 2017 11:07 PM +00:00

R95 I agree we should give a rest, just saying we don't know if that ever happened in the past, before Jon said he was single.

--Anonymous
replies 100Dec 4, 2017 3:39 AM +00:00

Did anybody ever even claim he & Murray were dating? I just recall people saying they saw some chemistry in a few photos. In any case I agree - there is clearly nothing there so let’s move on.

Asked this before & never got a good answer: who do you all think WOULD make a good match for Jonathan?

--Anonymous
replies 101Dec 4, 2017 4:25 AM +00:00

R101 That is impossible question because he does not have a type. The only clue is the guy should be like his close friend i.e. someone he can talk with for hours. Not much for a guess. He is dating but no confirmation that he is currently actively looking for a boyfriend. The question is only imposed by interviewers lately.

I find his remark how work takes over one's life intriguing. Hope he will endure next MH season shooting.

--Anonymous
replies 102Dec 4, 2017 9:26 AM +00:00

Intriguing? That's standard for an actor, especially one who doesn't have an "easy" schedule like sitcom. I agree that his "cycling to a play" comment is very telling. I think those who are trying to put him into a conventional "waiting for the right man" box would be disappointed with him in real life.

--Anonymous
replies 103Dec 4, 2017 9:51 AM +00:00

well if all we can come up with for potential boyfriends for him is “someone like a close friend” then I encourage him to take another look at Murray

--Anonymous
replies 104Dec 4, 2017 11:10 AM +00:00

He can't keep a straight face.

38 Likes, 2 Comments - ( ?° ?? ?°)lurn???? (@benp1att) on Instagram: “WOW THIS VIDEO WAS AMAZING BROADWAY.COM POSTED AMAZING VIDEOS GOD BLESS #dearevanhansen…”
Instagram
--Anonymous
replies 105Dec 4, 2017 1:44 PM +00:00

Loving his new glasses and watch.

Q&A with Jonathan Groff OF MINDHUNTER. How do we get ahead of crazy if we don’t know how crazy thinks? In MINDHUNTER, FBI agents Holden Ford (Jonathan Groff)...
YouTube
--Anonymous
replies 106Dec 4, 2017 6:02 PM +00:00

New interview from a Mindhunter screening in LA.

Q&A with Jonathan Groff OF MINDHUNTER. How do we get ahead of crazy if we don’t know how crazy thinks? In MINDHUNTER, FBI agents Holden Ford (Jonathan Groff)...
YouTube
--Anonymous
replies 107Dec 4, 2017 7:07 PM +00:00

Whoops, didn't see R106's post...

--R107
replies 108Dec 4, 2017 7:08 PM +00:00

R108 That interview was actually done in NYC.

--Anonymous
replies 109Dec 4, 2017 8:35 PM +00:00

So glad that's he's full on smiling once again. That's all!

--Anonymous
replies 110Dec 4, 2017 11:05 PM +00:00

TV Guide predicts a Golden Globe nomination for Groff

We break down the newbies that could make a big splash
TVGuide.com
--Anonymous
replies 111Dec 5, 2017 8:26 AM +00:00

If Groff gets nominated, I'm crossing my fingers for Holt too! He killed every scene!!

--Anonymous
replies 112Dec 5, 2017 10:46 AM +00:00

Wow, can't wait until Monday. It's gonna be really exciting if Groff gets nominated.

--Anonymous
replies 113Dec 5, 2017 11:48 AM +00:00

Next week are GG nominations as well as SAG noms.

--Anonymous
replies 114Dec 5, 2017 12:27 PM +00:00

Hope Jonathan can get some nominations,he did a great job.

--Anonymous
replies 115Dec 6, 2017 6:08 AM +00:00

I hope so too, or at the very least, Mindhunter is nominated so we can see him at the Golden Globes.

--Anonymous
replies 116Dec 6, 2017 5:10 PM +00:00

Should he get nominated, do you think he deserves to win?

--Anonymous
replies 117Dec 7, 2017 3:25 AM +00:00

Awards for Actor in a Drama Series are probably going to Sterling K. Brown this year. But I would say Jonathan deserves to be nominated.

--Anonymous
replies 118Dec 7, 2017 4:17 AM +00:00

R117, R118 - I agree, Sterling deserves to win. Groff's performance wasn't dynamic enough to win. I would be happy to just see the show nominated. Maybe he'll even be a presenter.

--Anonymous
replies 119Dec 7, 2017 11:47 AM +00:00

Groff back in LA with Lea. Wonder if he's starting to do stuff for awards season.

70.5k Likes, 794 Comments - Lea Michele (@leamichele) on Instagram: “Namaste with Jonathan! ?????????”
Instagram
--Anonymous
replies 120Dec 7, 2017 2:51 PM +00:00

Cheers to Lea for sharing this hotness

--Anonymous
replies 121Dec 7, 2017 4:26 PM +00:00

Right. That's it. I have officially spent far too much time at the DL. I had a dream last night in which Jonathan Groff admitted in an interview that he'd been screwing Russell Tovey. The only things I've even seen him in are LOOKING and FROZEN. The only reason my subconscious gives a damn about who Jonathan Groff is sleeping with because of DL. Next thing I know, I'm going to be dreaming about Olivia de Havilland, Gio & Tommy, Valerie Harper, and Aldi.

--Anonymous
replies 122Dec 7, 2017 4:45 PM +00:00

R122 well at least you made me laugh!

Tovey has a serious boyfriend who moved to the US for him recently. Groff is more likely to be fucking Olivia de Havilland (my apologies if you dream about that)

--Anonymous
replies 123Dec 7, 2017 4:55 PM +00:00

He met Quinto,again.

--Anonymous
replies 124Dec 8, 2017 4:06 AM +00:00

R124 pics please

--Anonymous
replies 125Dec 8, 2017 5:42 AM +00:00

Not that awkward

--Anonymous
replies 126Dec 8, 2017 6:26 AM +00:00

R126 definitely less awkward than I’ve seen some previous pics be. It’s nice that they can be friends.

--Anonymous
replies 127Dec 8, 2017 7:41 AM +00:00

Wonder where ZQ's boyfriend was?

--Anonymous
replies 128Dec 8, 2017 9:37 AM +00:00

Well it’s funny that it was an event where Groff was one of the honorees (GQ Men of the Year). Groff was looking good.

--Anonymous
replies 129Dec 8, 2017 12:11 PM +00:00

R129 Yeah, I think it's funny that Groff's career will, in the long run, be more successful than Quinto's. It's nice to see when the good guy gets rewarded.

--Anonymous
replies 130Dec 8, 2017 12:17 PM +00:00

R128 Are we certain he wasn’t there?

--Anonymous
replies 131Dec 8, 2017 1:00 PM +00:00

I respect Quinto as an actor, but Groff has more range so I agree R130

It’s for the best they broke up when they did. Quinto is too egotistical to be able to handle dating someone more successful or acclaimed than him.

--Anonymous
replies 132Dec 8, 2017 1:02 PM +00:00

Sometimes I'm caught off guard. Jonathan is very striking at times.

--Anonymous
replies 133Dec 8, 2017 3:06 PM +00:00

R132 Quinto seems cold. I don't get why Groff liked him. What I would do to be a fly on the wall. I wonder if Groff likes to be the person to change/inspire people.

R133 He is indeed very striking.

--Anonymous
replies 134Dec 8, 2017 4:42 PM +00:00

R134 Quinto is intelligent & talented, so I’ll give him that in terms of appeal.

He was also willing to come out at the height of his career, partially because of their relationship & I can see Groff being impressed by that.

--Anonymous
replies 135Dec 8, 2017 4:59 PM +00:00

R135 I could also see him being the reason ZQ came out.

--Anonymous
replies 136Dec 8, 2017 5:24 PM +00:00

R135 Groff came out way before he met ZQ.

--Anonymous
replies 137Dec 8, 2017 6:21 PM +00:00

R136 Sorry, read that wrong. You think ZQ came out because of Groff? Interesting.

--Anonymous
replies 138Dec 8, 2017 6:22 PM +00:00

I wonder if ZQ ever regrets breaking up with Groff, and if they still have chemistry when they see each other. If ZQ broke up with his bf and contacted Groff, do you think he'd entertain the idea of being with him again?

--Anonymous
replies 139Dec 8, 2017 6:23 PM +00:00

NO!Jonathan,stay away!

--Anonymous
replies 140Dec 8, 2017 6:53 PM +00:00

Quinto did not come out because of Groff. He publiclly stated he came out because of Jamey Rodemeyer's suicide. He wanted to be a positive gay role model to keep others from killing themselves.

I also think his slutty antics prior to Groff were coming back to haunt him and he feared being outed. It had nothing to do with Jon.

Jon came out because of love. Quinto came out because of his ego and fear of being outed by another. Don't romanticize that asshole.

--Anonymous
replies 141Dec 8, 2017 8:36 PM +00:00

R134, Yes, Quinto is cool and collected. He is the ultimate hipster. Very materialistic.

I was sorry JG got hurt when he dumped Quinto after Quinto started up with Miles and asked Jon for an open relationship so he could keep seeing Miles.

However Quinto privately is one of the most shallow, pretensious, narcessistic assholes in the business. I was glad Jon got away from him. Hopefully he remembers how little respect Quinto had for their relationship and never goes back.

--Anonymous
replies 142Dec 8, 2017 8:43 PM +00:00

Interesting commentary on Groff. Although I think the actor is joking when he makes his comments, his jokes just fell a little flat.

Euan Morton, currently playing King George III, speaks with Backstage about letting the role shape the performer, and how his predecessor, Jonathan Groff, ruined his “Hamilton” social life.
Backstage.com
--Anonymous
replies 143Dec 8, 2017 8:53 PM +00:00

Were you in the room when he made the jokes?

How does Morton sound these days? Lovely voice in Taboo.

--Anonymous
replies 144Dec 8, 2017 9:04 PM +00:00

R143 I can't imagine having to live up Jonathan's "presence" during Hamiton. The cast loved him, he was bff's with Lin, and he's just an all around good guy. There was probably a slight note of envy in those comments. I don't blame him though. It's like when you get a new job, and everyone has their own work cliques, and they talk about the person whose position you filled. It gets to be old after a while.

--Anonymous
replies 145Dec 8, 2017 9:10 PM +00:00

His comments say more about starfucking than anything to do with Groff.

--Anonymous
replies 146Dec 8, 2017 9:13 PM +00:00

I said Quinto came out PARTIALLY because of his relationship with Groff - Groff was already out publicly, and he wasn’t going back in. I’m aware Quinto had other reasons of his own.

Not romanticizing him. They broke up for good reasons. I’m simply stating what I think some of his appeal may have been since someone asked that question.

--Anonymous
replies 147Dec 8, 2017 10:54 PM +00:00

R146 agree. That guy is desperate for the spotlight & he was trying to be funny but failed at that. Nobody knows who he is, why would stars be clamoring to see the fifth or sixth (whatever he is) replacement in a part?!

Rory O’Malley & Taran Killiam didn’t have tons of celebs coming back to see them either but they weren’t tacky enough to complain about it.

--Anonymous
replies 148Dec 8, 2017 10:58 PM +00:00

R148 Rory always talks about how kind Groff was to him when he replaced him. He's said it in numerous podcasts and interviews. Says a lot about Rory's confidence because he was the one replacing Groff directly after he left.

--Anonymous
replies 149Dec 9, 2017 12:00 AM +00:00

R149 that’s sweet. Rory is a class act.

--Anonymous
replies 150Dec 9, 2017 12:24 AM +00:00
That guy is desperate for the spotlight

So is every other performer.

Rory O’Malley & Taran Killiam didn’t have tons of celebs coming back to see them either but they weren’t tacky enough to complain about it.

Is it tacky how Groff mentions how needy he is (citing how he's an actor, of course he's needy etc.)? It's all the same damn thing.

--Anonymous
replies 151Dec 9, 2017 3:45 AM +00:00

R151 admitting you enjoy attention or you wouldn’t be an actor is honest. Complaining passive aggressively about not getting enough attention is tacky.

--Anonymous
replies 152Dec 9, 2017 4:31 AM +00:00

Groff is getting so many accolades lately. Well deserved. My only hope for him is that his ego doesn't become so large it fills a room. His humility draws people in.

Or do some believe that's an act?

--Anonymous
replies 153Dec 9, 2017 5:31 AM +00:00

R153 I don't believe it's an act, per se, but as he's said, he knows how to charm people and navigate social situations as an actor.

I also hope all of this attention doesn't change him. I mean, I guess it would change anyone, but I hope not too much.

--Anonymous
replies 154Dec 9, 2017 9:09 AM +00:00

Golden Globes nominations are tomorrow morning! Hope Groff /Mindhunter gets a nomination(s)!

--Anonymous
replies 155Dec 10, 2017 5:02 PM +00:00

Sad,no nomination.

--Anonymous
replies 156Dec 11, 2017 4:05 AM +00:00

Is he nominated or not? E! News tweeted that he was & I got excited but I think it was a mistake :(

--Anonymous
replies 157Dec 11, 2017 4:41 AM +00:00

OK I double checked & it was a mistake. That’s really annoying - I don’t understand how they could even make that error.

--Anonymous
replies 158Dec 11, 2017 4:51 AM +00:00

R158 So stupid. Whoever is minding their social media probably had a pre-written list and didn't revise it. Still hoping for a SAG nomination for Groff.

--Anonymous
replies 159Dec 11, 2017 5:17 AM +00:00

Groff is not a star. He’s just a...steady commission.

--Anonymous
replies 160Dec 11, 2017 8:55 AM +00:00

He may have a better chance next year. The show didn't get that much hype until very recently due to all of the Stranger Things talk.

--Anonymous
replies 161Dec 11, 2017 9:11 AM +00:00

BTW, when does a GOOD WHOLESOME BOY act become utterly pathetic on a GROWN MAN in his thirties? Asking for a friend.

--Anonymous
replies 162Dec 11, 2017 9:15 AM +00:00

R162 being a good person with good values never gets old.

--Anonymous
replies 163Dec 11, 2017 10:47 AM +00:00

Looks like we have a troll here.

--Anonymous
replies 164Dec 11, 2017 11:48 AM +00:00

Looks like this is Datalounge and not a fangirl site.

Go elsewhere if you want only clean, wholesome Jon Groff posts.

--Anonymous
replies 165Dec 11, 2017 12:04 PM +00:00

Jon was underwhelming in Mindhunter. Some of his other castmates stood out, but he did not.

--Anonymous
replies 166Dec 11, 2017 12:07 PM +00:00

R165 If you have a real reason to dislike Groff then state what it is.

Show receipts or your statement is simply not valid.

--Anonymous
replies 167Dec 11, 2017 12:25 PM +00:00

None of us have to justify why we like or don't like him. This isn't your personal space.

This isn't a fan site.

--Anonymous
replies 168Dec 11, 2017 12:34 PM +00:00

backstabber, the nice guy act is a technique to keep getting roles. that’s truly the beginning and end of it. He and Lea Michele are exactly alike, except she’s too ignorant to hide it.

--Anonymous
replies 169Dec 11, 2017 12:50 PM +00:00

R169 That's why every fan and person who has worked with him, including production/behind the scenes crew - always have something nice to say about him. Take your bitterness elsewhere unless you have something solid to add.

--Anonymous
replies 170Dec 11, 2017 1:14 PM +00:00

R170, obviously you’ve never sat around having private drinks with Lea and Jonathan and seen the side they don’t show when they’re on the job. The disrespect for their “friends” and put downs of their co-workers and superiors is snide and petty. being there and hearing it from the inner circle is as “solid” as it gets.

--Anonymous
replies 171Dec 11, 2017 1:35 PM +00:00

R168 if all you have to say is you don’t like him for absolutely no reason there’s nothing to discuss about it though. You may as well just write that one down in your personal diary instead because no one cares.

--Anonymous
replies 172Dec 11, 2017 1:35 PM +00:00

LMAO at someone in here claiming they have “private drinks” with Lea and Jonathan

--Anonymous
replies 173Dec 11, 2017 1:36 PM +00:00

R173 keep laughing you fucking idiot. Not everyone who reads and posts here is an outsider. And how funny that there’s some expectation that you can use the DATALOUNGE of all places to have 14 threads of virgin, unbesmirched positive publicity for ONE ACTOR. Maybe Christ walked on water, the miquestoast Mennonite doesn’t.

--Anonymous
replies 174Dec 11, 2017 1:53 PM +00:00

R174 sorry, I don’t believe anyone on DL is an “insider” - especially if they can’t provide any substantiation for their claims.

Also, a gossip site that no celeb or legit news outlet ever acknowledges is not publicity, and there is plenty of negative talk in these threads.

--Anonymous
replies 175Dec 11, 2017 1:56 PM +00:00

if the industry loves him so much why has he lost two Tony’s and no nomination today. simmer down

--Anonymous
replies 176Dec 11, 2017 2:02 PM +00:00

R176, There are plenty of actors who haven't won awards and are still loved by the industry. I hate when this thread turns into arguing about stupid shit like this.

--Anonymous
replies 177Dec 11, 2017 2:09 PM +00:00

R171 I don't think any of us on here believe Groff is some innocent angel. We've discussed before how he probably has a bitchy side (esp. having best friends like Lea). That being said, I 've never head one bad thing about Groff - even from fans back in the Spring Awakening days when social media wasn't big. Professionally, it's pretty widely known he's a good guy. Personally, who knows. But that's how most human beings are. No one is perfect, and no one is naive to think Groff is.

--Anonymous
replies 178Dec 11, 2017 2:12 PM +00:00

He is always effusive & full of praise about his coworkers publicly. If he privately thinks they are inferior actors (or whatever is being claimed here), who cares?

--Anonymous
replies 179Dec 11, 2017 2:23 PM +00:00

R179 Seriously. Troll person thinks we hold Groff up to some holy status, when this thread is for Groff related info/gossip. Sick of arguing about this. Who cares.

--Anonymous
replies 180Dec 11, 2017 2:32 PM +00:00

Groff deserves all the scorn DL can muster for allowing Lea Michele's reign of terror to continue!

--Anonymous
replies 181Dec 11, 2017 3:06 PM +00:00

R181 LOL "Reign of terror". She's just an annoying "little sister". They have a history. The end.

--Anonymous
replies 182Dec 11, 2017 3:18 PM +00:00

Also, how is he “allowing” her to do anything? He is not in charge of her or her behavior.

--Anonymous
replies 183Dec 11, 2017 3:22 PM +00:00

R183 Exactly. Like he's manipulating her to act the way she does. Please. He's not that powerful.

--Anonymous
replies 184Dec 11, 2017 3:31 PM +00:00

If you're really an "insider," R174, please provide juicier gossip than just Jonathan shit talking at happy hour with his main fag hag, which is what tons of gay men do daily.

--Anonymous
replies 185Dec 11, 2017 3:42 PM +00:00

R185 I agree. Since this is a gossip site, tell us more to prove you are part of his "inner circle". I call bullshit.

--Anonymous
replies 186Dec 11, 2017 3:56 PM +00:00

R174, no need for examples so you do not have to expose yourself. We have heard these remarks about him over the past 10 years, spoken quietly so as not to incur the wrath and abuse of the fanfraus (as displayed by the prior posts above).

If you can give us an example that doesn't expose you personally that would be ideal. If not, no worries as he is known privately for his snarky comments and being the ultimate Broadway elitist.

--Anonymous
replies 187Dec 11, 2017 5:31 PM +00:00

R181 Given that Lea Michelle is well known for being incredibly bitchy and elitist herself, if she was willing to say in an interview that Jon is privately very similar in personality to her Glee character Rachel Berry, I would take her at her word.

--Anonymous
replies 188Dec 11, 2017 5:34 PM +00:00

R188 that’s only interpretable as an insult if you haven’t watched Glee. Rachel Berry is ambitious but she is ultimately a goody two-shoes. Also Lea loves Rachel; she meant it as a compliment.

--Anonymous
replies 189Dec 11, 2017 5:55 PM +00:00

R188 Why would I trust Lea's interpretation of Groff? He probably shows her his worst side. It's like asking your Mom for an interpretation of who she thinks you are. It's probably not very accurate in the general sense.

--Anonymous
replies 190Dec 11, 2017 6:26 PM +00:00

Also, if you asked a good friend to describe who you were and she gave an answer (such as Lea's answer about Groff being like her character on Glee)- why would that interpretation still be relevant nearly 10 years later? I hope I'm not the same person I was 10 years ago.

--Anonymous
replies 191Dec 11, 2017 6:32 PM +00:00

R189 I haven't watched Glee but got the same impression from few scenes between the two: that her character is a golden heart girl at the brink of tears when his character yells at her. Maybe I got it wrong just from a couple of scenes but I thought her character was not bitchy at all. Am I wrong? If not, that is a compliment and much in line with how Jon is generally perceived so nothing to argue about.

R171 You understand that you have to prove you are from the "inner circle". You yourself wouldn't believe if another poster just claimed the same status, would you? So give us something about Jon that is not publicly known but "inner circle" people know. Also, we need quotes about these friends and co-workers. their names etc. Personally I don't believe you are from his "inner circle" but rather that you made that up because you are just annoyed by your impression that we here think of Jon as an angel. I second what R178 said. Relax pls.

--Anonymous
replies 192Dec 11, 2017 10:35 PM +00:00

Also, do we think Lea is a good judge of character? I don't think Groff can be his genuine self around her - they probably resort back to their Glee/S.A. days, as siblings do when you get together for the holidays. Groff once told a story where he was hanging out with Lea's friends one night and they all watched the Bachelor, and he has no idea what was going on - he seemed truly out of place. Had they not shared that history, I doubt they'd be friends if they met in present day.

--Anonymous
replies 193Dec 12, 2017 12:52 AM +00:00

R192 re: Rachel I wouldn’t say she is always nice because she’s a spotlight hog so can be jealous towards others if she thinks they’re getting attention she isn’t. But yeah other than that she’s basically the “good girl” in the same way Jonathan says he used to be the “good boy” back home. I think that’s all Lea meant by that comment.

--Anonymous
replies 194Dec 12, 2017 2:22 AM +00:00

Honestly, two Tony losses and yesterday’s Globe non-starter: why can’t Groff rise to the occasion? What exactly IS THE PROBLEM?? Maybe he should stop laying it on so effusively about his costars and others like Beyoncé as though he’s still some star struck hillbilly chorus boy from the boonies and instead comport himself with some ADULT DIGNITY so he has a shot at being taken seriously as a grown man.

--Anonymous
replies 195Dec 12, 2017 2:50 AM +00:00

p.s. puppy dogs roll onto their back so you can pet their bellies. stars DON’T. Overdoing deference is the opposite of HOT. Milquetoast Mennonite.

--Anonymous
replies 196Dec 12, 2017 2:54 AM +00:00

(then again, everybody loves a cute puppy dog and likes to have one around, woof woof, Jonathan. you’re a wimp)

--Anonymous
replies 197Dec 12, 2017 2:58 AM +00:00

Jonathan is cute and kind,but not a milquetoast.

--Anonymous
replies 198Dec 12, 2017 5:58 AM +00:00

Many great actors have never received nominations, let alone awards. Awards are a political thing & depend on what producers/networks are pushing as well as who else is running & what the voters’ sympathies are.

Groff lost to David Hyde Pierce at his first Tonys. DHP is a legend & it was something of a “career award”. I’m sure voters felt Groff has the rest of his career to earn one, as it was his first show & he was the youngest nominee.

His second Tony nom was an unexpected fluke & probably not even warranted for a nine-minute part, but Broadway people like him. Daveed however had a much more difficult dual role & deserved the win.

Lack of GG noms is simply down to the fact that Netflix is pushing The Crown & Stranger Things instead. As I said, these things are political or there wouldn’t be “award campaigns”. I don’t think Groff being a less nice or polite person would earn him more noms. That makes no sense.

--Anonymous
replies 199Dec 12, 2017 7:08 AM +00:00

Forget awards, Jonathan, like many young actors, is just happy he has a paying gig.

--Anonymous
replies 200Dec 12, 2017 7:10 AM +00:00

R199 Exactly, thanks. It is only a bit sad that Jon misses Broadway so much but he will not get there soon let alone get another Tony nomination. I almost hope MH does not get all five seasons.

--Anonymous
replies 201Dec 12, 2017 9:20 AM +00:00

R199 Great analysis about how awards are political and based on voter sympathies. Jonathan's career blew up this year - he is going to get offered better and better roles, and remember he's only 32. Did you know Glenn Close, Harrison Ford, and Tom Cruise have never won an Oscar?? GLENN f-ing CLOSE. She is one of the most revered actors of our time. Groff will have plenty of opportunities to win awards, but I don't think he's in it to win.

--Anonymous
replies 202Dec 12, 2017 9:42 AM +00:00

R201 I think Mindhunter is a well-made show but it does disappoint me that he doesn’t seem to get much of a chance to do other projects, and it takes them SO LONG to film & put out a season. I also think the story could get old. I’d like it to be a solid three-season show instead of dragging on forever like “hey we’re still hunting these minds”

--Anonymous
replies 203Dec 12, 2017 10:24 AM +00:00

Keeping it honest. Groff did not deserve a nomination for Mindhunter this go round. Is he doing something completely different from anything he's every done? Absolutely. Is he more than likely having to stretch himself? Probably. But was I blown away by his performance? No.

Maybe it's due to it being such a different role for him, but he didn't feel comfortable with the part. Second year may go much better. Also, and maybe due to Fincher's direction or because of Groff's many emotions, when called upon to be emotionless, I feel that Groff gives us mannequin.

His scene partner Holt McCallany, however, stole scenes from him! Holt was unexpected & impressive.

--Anonymous
replies 204Dec 12, 2017 11:32 AM +00:00

Groff's comments on the second season in that Gold Derby interview made me wonder if he thinks he might be Meg Fostered come the return of Mindhunter. That would be pretty devastating.

--Anonymous
replies 205Dec 12, 2017 11:36 AM +00:00

R204 I agree. That character was all over the place, and although a nomination would've been great for him, other actors were more deserving. I hope he finds his character in season 2.

--Anonymous
replies 206Dec 12, 2017 12:01 PM +00:00

I disagree that Jonathan was uncomfortable - personally I think that the character himself is uncomfortable and repressed and he played that accurately.

I get why Fincher wanted him for this role because with any other actor the character might be so unlikeable by episode 10 that the audience simply would not feel any sympathy or real fear that Ed Kemper might kill him. But the role does not allow Groff to show his full range of abilities, so far.

The actor I did think really merited a nomination for this season was Cameron Britton.

--Anonymous
replies 207Dec 12, 2017 12:32 PM +00:00

R205 what does Meg Fostering mean, being killed off?

--Anonymous
replies 208Dec 12, 2017 12:33 PM +00:00

Also, while I might get my head bitten off for this because people worship Fincher so much...

Though Fincher is a great director, I do not believe he is a great ACTORS’ director — that is, I do not believe he pulls the best performances out of actors. His talent in terms of actors is in his casting selection. He picks actors that are the exact right fit for their characters & then shoots his famous many takes so that he can carve out the performance he already envisions in his mind.

Actually, has ANY actor ever won a major award working with Fincher? I can think of several who have been nominated (Jesse Eisenberg, Rosamund Pike, and Rooney Mara) but none who have ever won.

--Anonymous
replies 209Dec 12, 2017 12:56 PM +00:00

The Golden Globes are a joke. Mindhunter will do well at the Emmys.

--Anonymous
replies 210Dec 12, 2017 1:13 PM +00:00

R210 I hope you're right about that. The SAG awards are tomorrow too. Definitely right about the Golden GLobes being a joke though.

--Anonymous
replies 211Dec 12, 2017 1:20 PM +00:00

Any guess as to why Groff is on Live with Kelly and Ryan again? He was just on last month.

--Anonymous
replies 212Dec 12, 2017 1:41 PM +00:00

He didn't do well in Mindhunter. If he had, he would have been nominated. His performance was good but not great. It ccertainly didn't stand out the way Holt and Cameron did.

He just wasn't that great and he didn't deserve the nom. Not everything he does is perfect.

--Anonymous
replies 213Dec 12, 2017 1:44 PM +00:00

I find this thread sort of disturbing.

--Anonymous
replies 214Dec 12, 2017 1:50 PM +00:00

R213 Haha no one thinks everything he does is perfect. I honestly didn't think his performance would be even buzzed about by critics, but many of them have predicted a nomination for Groff in some capacity.

--Anonymous
replies 215Dec 12, 2017 1:51 PM +00:00

R212 maybe because they rudely cut him off after 2 minutes last time & he didn’t even get to talk about Mindhunter.

Also might be advertising the Bobby Darin concert coming up, or the Sutton Foster/Lincoln Center thing (though I’m pretty sure that’s sold out)

--Anonymous
replies 216Dec 12, 2017 1:57 PM +00:00

R214 this is about the least disturbing thread on Datalounge. Try the Luke Evans, Timothee/Armie, or Sam Heughan threads for true horror.

--Anonymous
replies 217Dec 12, 2017 2:00 PM +00:00

JG’s performance did not deserve a nomination but some others in the Mindhunter series did. So it is disappointing to see Mindhunter get a pass. But the character Holden may appear different in the next season after his breakdown. Hopefully JG gets to perform his powerhouse acting and show his range in Season 2. Either way I enjoy watching himand will watch any show he performs in.

I remember him stating that the closet he got to being on social media was when Looking was close to being cancelled. Let’s hope this is a setback enough for JG to get on social media. Although I love his mystery but still would like to see him more.

--Anonymous
replies 218Dec 12, 2017 2:07 PM +00:00

By all what we learnt from his MH interviews, Jon had to play Holder precisely as Fincher wanted, no creative freedom there for him - just dropped his ego and delivered as instructed. Fincher takes many shots to make sure he can edit characters to his own vision. Jon did the best performance under the circumstances but MH is Fincher's to the details. That is why Jon likes theater - only there is he in control over his character/performance.

--Anonymous
replies 219Dec 12, 2017 2:22 PM +00:00

R218 I’d also like to see a bit more of him - nothing big, an Instagram would be nice - but if he hasn’t joined by now, especially for Looking which he loved with all his heart and was deeply personally important to him, he never will.

--Anonymous
replies 220Dec 12, 2017 2:56 PM +00:00

R220 I agree. He’ll never do it now. I personally think social media is too time consuming and he has said he doesn’t have the time.

And I don’t see him having a “setback” with MH as R218 stated. He played the part the way Fincher wanted. Hoping he gets more creative freedom for Season 2. My thoughts are that the character will be different after the breakdown (at least that’s my hope). This show definitely put his name out there.

--Anonymous
replies 221Dec 12, 2017 4:12 PM +00:00

R214 Why so disturbed? We're all having a conversation which that involves different views.

--Anonymous
replies 222Dec 12, 2017 4:55 PM +00:00

There really are people from every corner on here. Most of us enjoy him, but are able to keep open minds and have realistic views about his work & life.

Some can't stand him (never get why someone would bother to comment on a person they don't like) but we welcome all.

A few only want to discuss his work, and nothing else.

But there are others who IMO only see him in the 'perfect' light. They've crossed over into the worship territory. That's when it seems a bit odd to me.

--Anonymous
replies 223Dec 12, 2017 5:54 PM +00:00

Ugh R218, you're making me say this. As for Groff on social media, pull a Frozen and 'Let It Go'!! That was corny.

Five years ago he said he wasn't doing it. Came close on Looking, but ultimately didn't want to do it. As recently as the beginning of this month, said a variety of 'he didn't want to/wasn't into it/ had no interest in it'. And yet, the hopes, wishes, and pleas for him to hop on social media continue.

--Anonymous
replies 224Dec 12, 2017 6:15 PM +00:00

It’s true, he reiterates it in every press tour he does: he’s not doing social media. I have to respect his decision although I don’t think it’s best for his career.

--Anonymous
replies 225Dec 12, 2017 6:34 PM +00:00

I love that he's not on social media. It's refreshing. He said he hates looking at his phone for the time, so he got a watch. If he hates looking at his phone just for the time, I doubt he'll ever get on it.

I do wonder if he lurks though.

Mindhunter should do a group social media account so that the cast can take turns for a short time doing promotion for the show. I don't know why no one ever thinks of that. It doesn't have to be forever, just before a show comes out a bit after it runs.

--Anonymous
replies 226Dec 12, 2017 6:47 PM +00:00