Join the Bitchfest >>

Anyone have experience with Cymbalta?

My doctor prescribed this for me, but I feel wary of it, and online reviews don't help. Have you been on it? How was it?

--Anonymous
replies 35Oct 13, 2017 5:26 AM +00:00

I'm on it now, but not for long (I'm about to cross-taper it with a low dose of Effexor). At the standard dosage (60 it played havoc on my gut. Foul smelling flatulence and every day I was alternating between diarrhea and constipation.

--Anonymous
replies 1Oct 13, 2017 5:38 AM +00:00

That's for crazy people. Why are crazy people allowed on the Internet?

--Anonymous
replies 2Oct 13, 2017 5:48 AM +00:00

A 2009 Advisory Committee to the FDA found that online anecdotal reports of discontinuation syndrome related to duloxetine (Cymbalta) included severe symptoms and exceeded prevalence of both paroxetine (Paxil) and venlafaxine (Effexor) reports by over 250%

--Anonymous
replies 3Oct 13, 2017 5:50 AM +00:00

Well that doesn't sound good.

--Op
replies 4Oct 13, 2017 5:59 AM +00:00

OP why don't you research some alternatives, safer medication with desired effects similar to those touted in Cymbalta, and discuss those options with your doctor? You're the ultimate director of your health.

--Anonymous
replies 5Oct 13, 2017 6:03 AM +00:00

"Cleaner" than Lexapro, it's cousin in terms of absorption. ... and thank you r2. Far too late as the inter web either brings out crazy or makes people such.

--Anonymous
replies 6Oct 13, 2017 6:05 AM +00:00

A terrible choice if you have anxiety issues. Unlike ssris this ssni helps you produce more norepinephrine which is like a shot of speed. At least it is for me. I fell apart taking it. I'm now on Zoloft and I feel much more balanced. Good luck to you friend.

--Anonymous
replies 7Oct 13, 2017 6:08 AM +00:00

Helped the anxiety big-time but also lowers the libido considerably.

--Anonymous
replies 8Oct 13, 2017 6:09 AM +00:00

It made my stomach hurt and my partner I was with at the time said he sure didn't wanna listen to me complain about that so I quit taking it . He was a real peach !! 🍊

--Anonymous
replies 9Oct 13, 2017 6:20 AM +00:00

I hope you threw that peach into a grease fire R9.

--Anonymous
replies 10Oct 13, 2017 11:31 AM +00:00

My doctor prescribed it for pain (moderate to occasionally severe nerve pain in my back and neck) and while it actually did noticeably reduce the nerve pain, it made me feel fuzzy so I stopped it. But I was in the middle of a crucial project at work and now that its over and things are back to normal. I might try it again, because it really did alleviate the nerve pain. I'm hoping that with time I might get over, or used to, the fuzzyness.

--Anonymous
replies 11Oct 13, 2017 12:10 PM +00:00

SSNRIs like duloxetine (Cymbalta) and venlafaxine (Effexor) are can be great if you experience cognitive sluggishness, fatigue and issues with working memory as a lasting consequence of depression, particularly on the higher doses, when it begins to block dopamine reuptake in the frontal cortex.

--Anonymous
replies 12Oct 13, 2017 2:45 PM +00:00

*can be great

--Anonymous
replies 13Oct 13, 2017 2:45 PM +00:00

Two of my friends were on it and loved it. Pulled them out of a deep depression.

--Anonymous
replies 14Oct 13, 2017 2:56 PM +00:00

Why don't you just stop being crazy, and try behaving yourself.

--Every mother of every college student in America
replies 15Oct 13, 2017 2:59 PM +00:00

I took Cymbalta and high-dose, extended release opioids for pain (as well as high dose regular opioids for breakthrough pain. And benzos). For a decade. I weaned myself off the opioids and benzos no problem. Just a little at a time over a couple of months. I experienced no side effects. "They" said it couldn't be done. It was no big deal.

Cymbalta was another story. I felt like ass for two months. It was hell. Overcoming opioid dependency is a piece of cake compared to titrating Cymbalta, at least for me it was.

--Anonymous
replies 16Oct 13, 2017 3:13 PM +00:00

Started it last week for nerve pain. Neck pain, electric shocks in my feet were I looked like a horse counting with my hoof.

It's really working for that but it's not predictable and mild like Zoloft. Zoloft gives me slight OCD. Clean house. I'm see sawing emotionally if I don't take it at same time everyday. Laughing hysterical or crying, not over my life but videos such as this one. You remember this one. Don't even get me started on Cécile.

this is a really really true story.... love your friend like lion does... get in touch with your friends always.
YouTube
--Anonymous
replies 17Oct 13, 2017 3:41 PM +00:00

I've heard very good things about Latuda. Don't take Wellbutrin. I do understand that Cymbalta is for depression and that Latuda is for bipolar depression, but if it works, who cares? Latuda has a low incidence of side effects. All of the drugs in the SSRI and SNRI families tend to come with loads of holy hell side effects. Latuda isn't an MAOI, SSRI, or SNRI, and everyone in my support group raves about it. I haven't taken it, but for you kiddies calling people crazies, I can't wait until life hits you with some mountain of crap that you think you can handle. No one is immune to depression.

--Anonymous
replies 18Oct 13, 2017 3:54 PM +00:00

OP, I had a weird situation involving my seeking help for grief therapy after several deaths in the family one summer. I got on the stuff due to the efforts of an overzealous, non-prescribing case worker who insisted I be on something, anything.

Obviously not for me, I became much worse on it. Stronger dose, worse still. After 6 hellish months, I had the good sense to seek advice from my regular MD, and tapered off over a couple weeks. Fired the caseworker. Felt MUCH better, except for the weird 'electric shock' symptom ex-Cymbalta users sometimes get. That persisted a couple years.

Providers have an obligation to give better care than giving something...anything, and to listen to their patients. Could be that Cymbalta could be great for you, though, and I wish you happier days ahead.

--Anonymous
replies 19Oct 13, 2017 6:34 PM +00:00

OP, I was on it for years until my doctor switched me to Wellbutrin. It was fine.

When I stopped taking it, I did not taper off. Just took Cymbalta one day and started Wellbutrin the next

I had no side effects, no discontinuation syndrome, zaps or whatever. No issues at all.

--Anonymous
replies 20Oct 13, 2017 6:42 PM +00:00

I was on it for a while. My heart would race. I noticed especially in bed. I lost 10 pounds really quickly. Each night, In my sleep, I would abruptly sit up and scream at the top of my lungs. That was at least once per night. It didn’t help me with chronic pain, so I stopped.

--Anonymous
replies 21Oct 13, 2017 6:44 PM +00:00

I am sorry not to start another thread for this question but are any of you folks familiar with Celexa?

--Anonymous
replies 22Oct 13, 2017 6:57 PM +00:00

Why are you people so obsessed with taking prescription drugs? 99% of it is total bullshit.

--Anonymous
replies 23Oct 13, 2017 7:02 PM +00:00

R23 wrong!

--Anonymous
replies 24Oct 13, 2017 7:03 PM +00:00

R23, neuroleptics help so much with my clam -- I mean jaw pain.

--Snap snap snap!
replies 25Oct 13, 2017 7:09 PM +00:00

For neuropathy related pain: have your doctor check your B vitamin levels. Cycled thru a list of medications over the years for nerve pain. Found out is was a B vitamin absorbtion issue so now just take a vitamin a day.

--Anonymous
replies 26Oct 13, 2017 9:41 PM +00:00

It has been a God-send. I had tried a number of other options for severe depression and anxiety.

It helps by not making me over think things and get stuck on negative thoughts.

Good luck.

--Anonymous
replies 27Oct 13, 2017 11:58 PM +00:00

Does it affect your weight? Some people online say it made them gain, and some say it made them lose. What did it do with your weight?

--Anonymous
replies 28Oct 14, 2017 5:09 AM +00:00

I lost 10 pounds rather quickly on it. After I quit the cymbalta, the weight immediately came right back like magic. My heart raced on it, so I was turbocharged.

--Anonymous
replies 29Oct 14, 2017 7:00 AM +00:00

What's discontinuation syndrome?

--Anonymous
replies 30Oct 14, 2017 12:58 PM +00:00

Zoloft turned me into a zombie, and that never wears off, so I had to stop taking it.

--Anonymous
replies 31Oct 15, 2017 3:44 AM +00:00

R23 is into thc....oops I mean cbd oils with a little thc on the side

--Anonymous
replies 32Oct 16, 2017 1:14 PM +00:00

It made me gain weight but helped my migraines and back ache..and premature ejaculation!

--Anonymous
replies 33Nov 21, 2017 2:21 AM +00:00

I had been on the 60 mg dose for many years. I accidently stopped taking it after confusing it with another medication (Prilosec) that I was taking. Withdrawal has been horrible-- Brain zaps from hell, mood swings that leave me wondering who I really am, sweats that alternate with shivers. I have had nightmares so vivid that I fell out of bed in one night apparently trying to outrun my "pursuers.' After three week off, I still have the zaps and flu-like symptoms combined with a tendency to cry over anything remotely sentimental. I hope that it will soon be out of my system. As indicated above, the scariest thing is that it masks your true self so that you question who you really are at core.

--Anonymous
replies 34Dec 7, 2017 8:59 AM +00:00

R34 frightening . My partner went cold turkey and didn't tell me. Somehow he got thru it but later described the hellish night mare you describe

--Anonymous
replies 35Dec 7, 2017 9:02 AM +00:00