Join the Bitchfest >>

Astronomy II

Wow, we did it! Filled a whole thread on Astronomy with no posts on Astrology! I'm so proud of you, DataLounge! Continue educating me on:

Planets Black Holes Galaxies Comets Mysteries of time & space More! More! More!

Please respond to the poll to show how much work we have yet to do with you people.

Oh, here's the previous thread:

This is the thread were we post news about and discuss astronomy. We've had some cool threads lately, and I thought it would be good to have future posts appended to one thread.PlanetsBlack ...
the DataLounge
--OP
replies 327Jul 30, 2016 6:59 AM +00:00

Vivian Vance's go to vibrator😱

--Anonymous
replies 1Jul 30, 2016 7:17 AM +00:00

It's not a fucking planet anymore. I know, it's very sad, but that's how it is.

--Anonymous
replies 2Jul 30, 2016 7:42 AM +00:00

I ran into Pluto at Disneyland. I said, "I love you, Pluto! I'm rootin' for you to get your planet back."

--Anomynous
replies 3Jul 30, 2016 10:28 AM +00:00

R3 is my here!

--Anonymous
replies 4Jul 30, 2016 1:43 PM +00:00

Hero! I mean.

--Anonymous
replies 5Jul 30, 2016 1:43 PM +00:00

Meanwhile, back on the home planet, Pele was in a particularly good mood:

youtu.be
--Anomynous
replies 6Aug 1, 2016 9:32 PM +00:00

Can't keep astrology out of an astronomy discussion if you care about the history of the subject since once upon a time they were one and the same.

--Anonymous
replies 7Aug 1, 2016 10:31 PM +00:00

R7 is historically inaccurate. And Numerology was never a part of Mathematics. Phrenology and palm reading was never an accepted part of Medicine. Miss Cleo and other seers, fortune tellers, clairvoyants, mediums, are all charlatans. The popular culture has always generated those who construct cockamamie scenarios that they market to the gullible in this Idiocracy of ours because they weren't smart enough or disciplined enough to succeed in real science—or they could always make a go of it in religion. There are mindless followers out there by the thousands.

--Anomynous
replies 8Aug 1, 2016 11:43 PM +00:00

Astronomers found a large void of young stars in the Milky Way.

There is a surprising lack of Cepheid Variable stars in the center of our Milky Way galaxy.

Astronomy.com
--Anonymous
replies 9Aug 4, 2016 8:02 AM +00:00

Why did you mention astrology, OP? Now you have doomed this thread to be nothing like the first as every "sensitive" or "psychic" or aura-reading, crystal-humming, sage-burning idiot will try to derail us. ::sigh::

--Anonymous
replies 10Aug 4, 2016 8:07 AM +00:00

Aug 5, 2016 08:22 PM ET

Kepler's 'Alien Megastructure' Star Just Got Weirder

"Tabby's Star" has dramatically dimmed and we don't know why.

"Tabby's Star" has dramatically dimmed and we don't know why.
Seeker - Science. World. Exploration. Seek for yourself.
--Anonymous
replies 11Aug 8, 2016 1:04 PM +00:00

Wow, I thought we would never have news about that mysterious light dimming phenomemon anymore. R11

--Anonymous
replies 12Aug 9, 2016 9:52 AM +00:00

This object may open up new solar system mysteries.

It's not Niku itself that's weird. It's how and where it orbits.

Astronomy.com
--Anonymous
replies 13Aug 12, 2016 6:06 PM +00:00

Scientists to unveil new Earth-like planet: German weekly

Scientists are preparing to unveil a new planet in our galactic neighbourhood which is believed to be Earth-like and orbits its star at a distance that could favour life, German weekly Der Spiegel reported Friday.
www.thelocal.de
--Anonymous
replies 14Aug 13, 2016 6:03 PM +00:00

An Earth-like planet that is about 60% bigger than Earth. I wonder if 60% bigger which means stronger gravitational pull would hinder the formation of bipedal lifeforms...

--Anonymous
replies 15Aug 14, 2016 10:16 AM +00:00

Nanocraft

Yuri Milner presented Breakthrough Starshot, a ground-based light beamer pushing nanocrafts, ultra-light space probes attached to lightsails, to speeds of up...
YouTube
--Anonymous
replies 16Aug 14, 2016 1:38 PM +00:00

Has anyone seen the meteors?

--Anonymous
replies 17Aug 14, 2016 8:29 PM +00:00

In 1999 a friend invited me along to an astronomy convention organised by a group of middle-aged men who were self-taught astronomer (so to speak). They invited a group of professional astronomers to give a speech and show the technology they used (at the time) to observe the universe. My friend and I were still in school so we were the youngest in the hall. We sat at the back where there were free seats.

The youngest of the astronomers had his turn to speak and he brought a fragment of a meteor that he made roll across the hall. When we had our turn to receive the fragment, we touched it and my friend realised there was a very little piece loose so he scratched it off, spitted it into to parts and gave one to me. They were very little pieces. Physically, it was like mixture of rock and metal almost perfectly fused together.

I remember I wrapped it around a little piece of toilet paper and left it on my desk. One day my mother entered my room to clean and without knowing she threw it away >.< But still, I got to see and touch and even take a little piece of a space rock that was once floating in space.

--Anonymous
replies 18Aug 15, 2016 11:13 PM +00:00

The Nearest Stars to Earth

www.space.com
--Anonymous
replies 19Aug 23, 2016 1:09 PM +00:00

362 days until the full solar eclipse in rural America.

--Anonymous
replies 20Aug 23, 2016 7:00 PM +00:00

Map of total eclipse path:

apod.nasa.gov
--Anonymous
replies 21Aug 24, 2016 6:02 AM +00:00

re: R21 -- Turn around, bright eyes...

--Anonymous
replies 22Aug 24, 2016 6:25 AM +00:00

Discovery of potentially Earth-like planet Proxima b raises hopes for life

Thought to be at least 1.3 times mass of Earth, planet lies within ‘habitable’ zone of Proxima Centauri, raising hopes for life outside our solar system

Thought to be at least 1.3 times mass of Earth, planet lies within ‘habitable’ zone of Proxima Centauri, raising hopes for life outside our solar system
the Guardian
--Anonymous
replies 23Aug 24, 2016 2:08 PM +00:00

It would be awesome if they were able to identify signs of life on that planet. Just image how revolutionary that would be. Perhaps religions would collapse in some way...

--Anonymous
replies 24Aug 25, 2016 1:29 AM +00:00

R24, the Pope has already declared that extraterrestrial life would not negate Christianity. They are already ahead of this one.

--Anonymous
replies 25Aug 25, 2016 5:37 AM +00:00

The pope already making the mental gymnastics so that his unfounded belief doesn't vanish for eternity. Christians have been doing that for centuries whenever something revolutionaity threatens their faith. R25

Slavery is condoned in the bible and they didn't oppose it but when society agreed slavery is immoral christians changed their discourse and tried to dissociate themselves from the practice.

--Anonymous
replies 26Aug 25, 2016 1:40 PM +00:00

Every year, the Moon becomes about an inch further away from the Earth than it was the year before. Scientists know because astronauts left mirrors on the Moon. The time it takes a laser to travel from Earth, hit the mirror, and return to Earth, can be used to calculate the distance.

It is a coincidental quirk that the Moon, during an eclipse, appears from the Earth today to be exactly the same size as the Sun.

Bonus feature: The distance between Europe and North America grows by about an inch per year, due to plate tectonics. The island of Iceland has a scar that runs from North to South through it. The scar separates the two continents and get wider every year. Plate tectonics only gained general acceptance in the Scientific community around 1950.

--Science Salvador
replies 27Aug 26, 2016 1:34 PM +00:00

R26, I bet you're a lot of fun at parties!

--Anonymous
replies 28Aug 26, 2016 1:37 PM +00:00

I recently learned that birds cannot be taken into space, presumably for testing purposes, because they require gravity to swallow.

Most people on Earth start to feel that their bladder is full when it is actually about a third full, due to gravity. Astronauts on the international space station don't sense the need to empty their bladder until it is close to 100% full.

Don't they wear a device that allows them to pee inside their suit?

--Anonymous
replies 29Aug 27, 2016 10:02 PM +00:00

If the Earth-like planet found in the "Centauri system" (to call it something) is possibly locked it means it doesn't generate a magnetic field to protect itself from the radiation sent by its star?

--Anonymous
replies 30Aug 31, 2016 3:39 PM +00:00

Are there caftan and earrings out there? That, and hot guys, lube, internet connections.

--Anonymous
replies 31Aug 31, 2016 3:42 PM +00:00

R30, the moon and earth are tidally locked to each other, but we still have our magnetism, Does that explain anything?

--Anonymous
replies 32Aug 31, 2016 3:57 PM +00:00

R30, I don't hear it mentioned often, but my suspicion is that 99.9999% of earth-like planets will be like Mercury, the moon, Venus, and Mars, and be completely inhospitable. I think the Earth got a lot of lucky breaks to make it the way we like it. ,

--Anonymous
replies 33Aug 31, 2016 4:01 PM +00:00

Sorry to rain on your little parade OP, but Founding Fathers and other brilliant scientific minds, believed that the planets influenced more than physical, gravitational and kinetic energies.. They believed in and practiced ASTROLOGY. In any case, Pluto is the ruling planet of the most powerful astrological sign Scorpio. And I just so happen to be born under this sign and influence. The METAphysical, and occult/spiritual matters interest Scorpio. Science is only the tip of the universal iceberg.

--Anonymous in Kansas City
replies 34Aug 31, 2016 4:17 PM +00:00

How can we get to Proxima Centauri b?

There's an exoplanet as close to us as one can get. So how will we get there?

Astronomy.com
--Anonymous
replies 35Sep 1, 2016 6:56 PM +00:00

Good news: Proxima Centauri b is the closest to us.

Bad news: At fastest conceivable speed the one-way trip will take 85 years

--Anomynous
replies 36Sep 1, 2016 8:11 PM +00:00

Wormhole

--Anonymous
replies 37Sep 1, 2016 8:17 PM +00:00

Youtube offers channels to see the Earth and the sun live. I was watching the sun last night. Impressive that those sort of flames that the sun gives off are up to 5 times bigger than our planet. They must be expelled almost at the speed of light.

--Anonymous
replies 38Sep 3, 2016 5:11 PM +00:00

This story was interesting. Although they claim it had no immediate and obvious effects, they don't understand why it happened.

Stratospheric wind patterns changed recently in a way scientists had never seen in 60 years.
NASA
--anonymous
replies 39Sep 3, 2016 5:33 PM +00:00

R39, I was underwhelmed.

--Anonymous
replies 40Sep 3, 2016 7:00 PM +00:00

Astronomers: Star Cluster Terzan 5 is ‘Living Fossil’.

Astronomers using ESO’s Very Large Telescope, the NASA/ESA Hubble Space Telescope and the Keck Telescope have revealed the unusual mix of stars in the star cluster known as Terzan 5. This object resembles a globular cluster, but is like no other cluster known, and is in fact one of the Galactic bulge’s primordial building blocks, most likely the relic of the early Milky Way.

Astronomers using ESO’s Very Large Telescope, the NASA/ESA Hubble Space Telescope and the Keck Telescope have revealed the unusual mix of stars in the star cluster known as Terzan 5.
Breaking Science News | Sci-News.com
--Anonymous
replies 41Sep 7, 2016 6:54 PM +00:00

Curiosity captures a snapshot of Mars' past.

NASA's rover captured images of layered rock formations on the "Murray Buttes" region of Mount Sharp last week.

Astronomy.com
--Anonymous
replies 42Sep 15, 2016 6:55 AM +00:00

I'm horrified the Earth is not almost prfectly spherical as we thought it was although still rounded.

--Anonymous
replies 43Sep 17, 2016 8:41 AM +00:00

I'm horrified that you have to go to Peru to get as far as you can from the center of this hellhole.

--Anonymous
replies 44Sep 17, 2016 9:12 AM +00:00

It's a tiny ball, under too small of a size they don't have enough gravity to become a ball. I'll bet it's fairly close, so it's no planet. But it's a dwarf planet for sure, has its decent size moon, at least for it, also just big enough to be round. Still the king of the dwarf planets, if not the absolute biggest, I don't think it is.

--Anonymous
replies 45Sep 17, 2016 3:32 PM +00:00

Light echoes reveal supermassive black holes eating stars .

Supermassive black holes, with their immense gravitational pull, are notoriously good at clearing out their immediate surroundings by eating nearby objects. When a star passes within a certain distance of a black hole, the stellar material gets stretched and compressed — or “spaghettified” — as the black hole swallows it.

astronomynow.com
--Anonymous
replies 46Sep 18, 2016 6:49 PM +00:00

‘Impossible’ cloud found on Saturn’s moon Titan — again.

The puzzling appearance of an ice cloud seemingly out of thin air has prompted NASA scientists to suggest that a different process than previously thought — possibly similar to one seen over Earth’s poles — could be forming clouds on Saturn’s moon Titan.

astronomynow.com
--Anonymous
replies 47Sep 23, 2016 5:06 PM +00:00

Titan has always done its own thing.

--Anonymous
replies 48Sep 23, 2016 6:20 PM +00:00

Sept. 26, 2016

RELEASE 16-096

NASA’s Hubble Spots Possible Water Plumes Erupting on Jupiter's Moon Europa

Astronomers using NASA's Hubble Space Telescope have imaged what may be water vapor plumes erupting off the surface of Jupiter's moon Europa. This finding bolsters other Hubble observations suggesting the icy moon erupts with high altitude water vapor plumes.
NASA
--Anonymous
replies 49Sep 26, 2016 1:06 PM +00:00

Water everywhere.

--Anonymous
replies 50Sep 26, 2016 4:06 PM +00:00

Elon Musk announces ambitious solar system colonization plans.

The SpaceX and Tesla founder is thinking beyond Earth.

Astronomy.com
--Anonymous
replies 51Sep 28, 2016 8:41 AM +00:00

How Vera Rubin discovered dark matter.

This famous astronomer carved herself a well-deserved place in history, so why doesn’t the Nobel committee see it that way?

Astronomy.com
--Anonymous
replies 52Oct 5, 2016 9:45 AM +00:00

Mysterious star still making news.

------------------------------ - -------------------

Why is this star dimming? Astronomers still don't know.

A strange star in our galaxy has officially become even more enigmatic: According to data collected by NASA’s Kepler space telescope, the star mysteriously dimmed over a period of a few years.

A strange star in our galaxy has officially become even more enigmatic.
Fox News
--Anonymous
replies 53Oct 7, 2016 4:12 PM +00:00

The newest weird solar systems: lonely hot Earths.

The weird worlds may be the remnants of larger “hot Jupiters”

Astronomy.com
--Anonymous
replies 54Oct 10, 2016 6:58 PM +00:00

The world's oldest observatory? How Aboriginal astronomy provides clues to ancient life.

An ancient Aboriginal site at a secret location in the Victorian bush could be the oldest astronomical observatory in the world, pre-dating Stonehenge and even the Great Pyramids of Giza.

An ancient Aboriginal site at a secret location in the Victorian bush could be the oldest astronomical observatory in the world, pre-dating Stonehenge and even the Great Pyramids of Giza.
ABC News
--Anonymous
replies 55Oct 12, 2016 3:15 PM +00:00

KIC 8462852 - The most mysterious star in the universe.

Something massive, with roughly 1,000 times the area of Earth, is blocking the light coming from a distant star known as KIC 8462852, and nobody is quite sur...
YouTube
--Anonymous
replies 56Oct 15, 2016 6:11 AM +00:00

"Today is the best day to see Uranus is the sky" my "Starwalk" app messaged me, but the message disappeared, and I can't find it now to finish reading it!

In any event, Mars, Saturn, and Venus also look easily viewable this evening. "In the sky", of course! I don't know why Starwalk thought they needed to add that helpful direction, but thought you might enjoy it.

Nonetheless, I recommend the Starwalk app, especially for amateurs like me!

Courtesy of the Starwalk App
Imgur
--OP
replies 57Oct 15, 2016 1:24 PM +00:00

Dwarf Planets Aren’t Big News, Because Astronomy Is Doing a Great Job.

As dwarf planets transition from being individual curiosities to statistical aggregates, they offer astronomers a better understanding of the solar system.
WIRED
--Anonymous
replies 58Oct 18, 2016 5:22 PM +00:00

What's the difference between Earth-mass and Earth-like?

Why we shouldn't call exoplanets 'Earth-like' just yet

Every time astronomers discover another exoplanet, the first thing we all want to know is "Does it look like Earth?" Finding an Earth-like exoplanet would dramatically increase our chances of finding life as we know it there, and could finally prove that we're not all alone in this big, cold universe.

Astronomy.com
--Anonymous
replies 59Oct 22, 2016 5:40 PM +00:00

The universe is expanding at an accelerating rate — or is it?

Five years ago, the Nobel Prize in Physics was awarded to three astronomers for their discovery, in the late 1990s, that the universe is expanding at an accelerating pace.

astronomynow.com
--Anonymous
replies 60Oct 23, 2016 9:07 PM +00:00

Pluto's brown surface is due to organic molecules essential for life. If such a small planet has them then life may not only found on Earth...

When New Horizons flew past Pluto, astronomers were shocked to discover that Pluto is actually red. Where is this redness coming from? Could Life On Earth Ha...
YouTube
--Anonymous
replies 61Oct 24, 2016 5:17 PM +00:00

'Alien megastructure' 1,400 light years away will be looked at for signs of life by Stephen Hawking's £80m Breakthrough Listen project

As part of the SETI project to speed up the search for alien signals, a team of astronomers in the US will recruit a huge telescope in West Virginia to study distant star KIC 8462852 more closely.
Mail Online
--Anonymous
replies 62Oct 26, 2016 5:24 AM +00:00

It's most likely a natural phenomenon. An artifical megastructure that's capable of blocking up to 21% of the light emitted by a star might as well collapse under its own gravitational pull. And why would extraterrestrial need such a big structure?

--Anonymous
replies 63Oct 26, 2016 4:58 PM +00:00

The outer solar system keeps getting weirder.

New distant objects? Unseen planets? The unexplored region of our solar system

Astronomy.com
--Anonymous
replies 64Oct 27, 2016 3:52 PM +00:00

Astronomers Snap Picture of Giant Exoplanet 1,200 Light-Years Away.

An international team of astronomers has discovered a giant extrasolar planet orbiting a young star called CVSO 30. Not only have the scientists detected the planet, but they’ve also taken a direct image of it.

An international team of astronomers has discovered a giant extrasolar planet orbiting a young star called CVSO 30.
--Anonymous
replies 65Oct 31, 2016 2:58 PM +00:00

@v73 15 minutes ago

@NatGeo why is it that all of a sudden there are so many "super moons" and other different moons? Never heard of these b4.

--Anonymous
replies 66Nov 1, 2016 8:40 PM +00:00

Supermoon!

Preview, buy, and download the song "Supermoon" from the album Radio Flyer for $0.99.
iTunes
--Anomynous
replies 67Nov 1, 2016 8:47 PM +00:00

I came across this site the other day and found it really interesting. Didn't see it referenced in this thread but I didn't check the first thread.

Space and astronomy news
Universe Today
--Anonymous
replies 68Nov 2, 2016 5:45 AM +00:00

The top explanations for the strange behavior of the "alien megastructure" star.

Offsite Link
--Anonymous
replies 69Nov 2, 2016 9:44 AM +00:00

The article mentions a number of events in November that would be cool to see.

"The coming month brings the roaring lion of meteor displays, dazzling planets, and plenty more reasons to look up at the night sky. You’ll even have the chance to catch the most impressive supermoon in nearly seven decades. So dust off those binoculars and mark your November calendar!..."

This following paragraph is for 11/2, but it probably applies for 11/3, just not optimally, so get out there and look tonight!:

About an hour after local sunset, catch the razor-thin crescent moon hanging over Saturn. The cosmic pair will appear less than three degrees apart, or less than the width of your three middle fingers held at arm’s length. Adding to the sky spectacle, super-bright Venus will join the pair to the left.

Oh, no charge, btw.

Offsite Link
--God
replies 70Nov 3, 2016 10:10 AM +00:00

If they could take a picture of a planet 1200 light years away from us why couldn't they take a picture of the star whose seeing its ligt partially blocked by a supposed megastructure? It is about 1400 light years away from here, just a little farther away than the other star.

--Anonymous
replies 71Nov 4, 2016 10:02 PM +00:00

The exoplanet closest to home has a new observer.

The Parkes telescope is studying Proxima Centauri b to see if there's life there.

Astronomy.com
--Anonymous
replies 72Nov 8, 2016 12:47 PM +00:00

R71, I couldn't concentrate to finish that article, but I'll bet that they saw evidence of the planet, but did not take a real photograph of the planet.

Such as, seeing a spectrum of light that suggests a planet, or perhaps the planet crossed in front of the sun and dimmed its light output as a result. Something like that.

--Anonymous
replies 73Nov 8, 2016 1:57 PM +00:00

But in the article there's the picture of that planet, R73

--Anonymous
replies 74Nov 9, 2016 6:24 PM +00:00

Astronomers look a spiral galaxy in the eye.

The massive eye in the middle IC 2613 is the product of a rare cosmic tidal wave

Astronomy.com
--Anonymous
replies 75Nov 11, 2016 3:25 PM +00:00

Are all stars created equal? .

Astronomers using critical observations from the Gemini Observatory have found the strongest evidence yet that the formation of massive stars follows a path similar to their lower-mass brethren — but on steroids!

astronomynow.com
--Anonymous
replies 76Nov 14, 2016 11:02 AM +00:00

‘Ice cauldrons’ could tells us if there’s life on Mars.

These craters be a key ingredient in Martian life

Astronomy.com
--Anonymous
replies 77Nov 16, 2016 9:35 AM +00:00

Major supercluster of galaxies found hidden by the Milky Way.

An international team of astronomers has discovered a previously unknown major concentration of galaxies in the constellation Vela, which they have dubbed the Vela supercluster. The gravitational attraction from this large mass concentration in our cosmic neighbourhood may have an important effect on the motion of our Local Group of Galaxies including the Milky Way. It may also help to explain the direction and amplitude of the Local Group’s peculiar velocity with respect to the cosmic microwave background.

astronomynow.com
--Anonymous
replies 78Nov 18, 2016 5:31 PM +00:00

Hmm, supercluster, you say?

--Anonymous
replies 79Nov 18, 2016 5:37 PM +00:00

The new search for alien intelligence.

Hunting for ET now involves Dyson spheres, infrared signals, and laser communications. It’s definitely not your father’s method for locating cosmic intelligence

Astronomy.com
--Anonymous
replies 80Nov 21, 2016 9:29 AM +00:00

Gays don't understand physics let alone astronomy

--Stephen Hawking
replies 81Nov 21, 2016 10:14 AM +00:00

Not quite astronomy, but I thought some reading this thread would be interested in these photos of Earth aboard the ISS

-----

Hello, is this planet Earth? by Tim Peake - in pictures

Based on over 150 photographs taken by British astronaut Tim Peake, the book documents his six months on the International Space Station

Tuesday 22 November 2016 08.00 GMT

Based on over 150 photographs taken by British astronaut Tim Peake, the book documents his six months on the International Space Station
the Guardian
--Anonymous
replies 82Nov 22, 2016 1:37 PM +00:00

Researchers discovered faint dwarf satellite galaxy in the Milky Way.

This discovery could bring us a step closer to understanding how galaxies form

Astronomy.com
--Anonymous
replies 83Nov 23, 2016 6:08 AM +00:00

International Astronomical Union formally approves 227 star names.

astronomynow.com
--Anonymous
replies 84Nov 26, 2016 11:45 PM +00:00
R80: The new search for alien intelligence.

I think I understand this correctly: "broadband" cable TV means sending a single message signal, broken-up into pieces, almost simultaneously over multiple frequencies at the same time. Then the signals are reassembled at people's homes and displayed. We do this now. It's efficient & effective.

This suggests that most broadcasting aliens would do this, or something more complicated. This kind of thing would mean almost unlimited possibilities of message-sending, and it would be almost impossible for us to figure out how to reassemble a foreign signal back together, without knowing in advance how to do so. We wouldn't even know it was a signal, or a broken-up one.

Unless they were purposely sending a message in the most primitive means, if that is even a universally accepted concept, we will never be able to understand their messages.

--Donny Downer, PhD
replies 85Nov 27, 2016 8:42 AM +00:00

New of discoveries of Earth-like planets keep coming up.

------------------------------ - ------------------------------ - ------

An Earth-like extrasolar planet could harbor extraterrestrial life.

This planet could be an important discovery in the search for life on other planets

Astronomy.com
--Anonymous
replies 86Nov 29, 2016 6:58 AM +00:00

Large ice sheet discovered on Mars.

Utopia Planitia is hiding a sheet of ice the size of New Mexico

Astronomy.com
--Anonymous
replies 87Dec 2, 2016 6:22 AM +00:00

I find it frustrating whenever there is excitement about the possibility of the discovery of an "Earth-like" extra-solar planet. The vast majority of these world will be more like Mars or Venus than like Earth. I'd bet there are a million dead planets to every one with some slime that's technically "life". Usually, that's never mentioned. It's great to search, but silly to think we'll find a lush planet with mammal-like animals and verdant plains.

--Anonymous
replies 88Dec 2, 2016 6:28 AM +00:00

Could there really be life under Pluto’s ice?

It’s a long shot, but it may still push the boundaries of the habitable zone

Astronomy.com
--Anonymous
replies 89Dec 6, 2016 5:15 AM +00:00

Massive Planet-Like Object Found Circling Nearby Red Giant Star.

A team of astronomers has discovered a giant object — an enormous, Jupiter-like exoplanet or a low-mass brown dwarf — orbiting an ageing red giant called L2 Puppis, and they have also precisely measured the mass and the age of the star.

A team of astronomers has discovered a giant object -- an enormous, Jupiter-like exoplanet or a low-mass brown dwarf -- orbiting an ageing red giant called L2 Puppis, and they have also precisely measured the mass and the age of the star.
--Anonymous
replies 90Dec 9, 2016 10:01 AM +00:00

Omg.

--Anonymous
replies 91Dec 9, 2016 10:23 AM +00:00

An old meteor yields a new surprise: a never-before-seen material.

The quasiperiod crystal manages to grow in non-repeating patterns.

Astronomy.com
--Anonymous
replies 92Dec 11, 2016 8:24 AM +00:00

Could these Earth fossils give clues to life in outer space?

Life in unusual places may give hints to what life on Mars, Enceladus, or Europa could look like.

Astronomy.com
--Anonymous
replies 93Dec 15, 2016 10:23 AM +00:00

this needs to be discussed more

--Anonymous
replies 94Dec 15, 2016 10:37 AM +00:00

Is There a Limit to How Large a Star Can Be?

“Is there a theoretical limit to how big can a star get, or would it collapse from gravity before? If no, then in theory could we get a star as big as a mini-galaxy?” Asked By: Théo De Freitas Neto

Question(s): "Is there a theoretical limit to how big can a star get, or would it collapse from gravity before? If no, then in theory could we get a star a
Futurism
--Anonymous
replies 95Dec 16, 2016 10:37 AM +00:00

Astronomers spot 'planet-eating' star similar to our own sun.

HIP68468 is a 'solar twin' of our sun, and may have consumed some of its own planets.

HIP68468 is a 'solar twin' of our sun, and may have consumed some of its own planets.
The Christian Science Monitor
--Anonymous
replies 96Dec 19, 2016 3:48 PM +00:00

Crash course?

It may look as though Saturn’s moon Mimas is crashing through the rings in this image taken by NASA’s Cassini spacecraft, but Mimas is actually 45,000 kilometres (28,000 miles) away from the rings. There is a strong connection between the icy moon and Saturn’s rings, though. Gravity links them together and shapes the way they both move.

astronomynow.com
--Anonymous
replies 97Dec 21, 2016 6:18 PM +00:00

OP is such a Pisces!

--Sorry couldn't resist
replies 98Dec 21, 2016 6:40 PM +00:00

Mystery of 'Alien Megastructure' Star Testing Astronomers' Creativity

Astronomers may have to think a little harder to solve the mystery of Boyajian's star.
Space.com
--Anonymous
replies 99Dec 22, 2016 11:10 AM +00:00

CERN scientists get the first glance of the innards of anti-matter.

By peering into the spectra of anti-hydrogen, we may come one step closer to understanding matter's shadowy twin — and why it's so hard to find.

Astronomy.com
--Anonymous
replies 100Dec 28, 2016 5:23 PM +00:00

Anyone here have a telescope? Are they worth getting? Can you see anything with the small ones?

--Anonymous
replies 101Dec 28, 2016 5:34 PM +00:00

I don't but one of classmates in highchool had one. My other friend who now is an astronomer knew how to fix the parameters and thanks to him I remember we got to see the moon at night. It was awesome, we saw the craters and all marks left on the surface of the moon.

I bet they may be a little expensive, but iit is totally worth having one.

--Anonymous
replies 102Dec 28, 2016 7:05 PM +00:00

This researcher wants to initiate contact with Proxima Centauri b.

The exoplanet next door could soon get an out-of-this-world radio broadcast.

Astronomy.com
--Anonymous
replies 103Dec 30, 2016 2:30 PM +00:00

NASA’s WISE Spacecraft Spots Two New Near-Earth Objects.

Astronomers using NASA’s Wide-Field Infrared Survey Explorer (WISE) have discovered two celestial objects traveling through our neighborhood: 2016 WF9 and C/2016 U1 NEOWISE.

Astronomers using NASA’s Wide-Field Infrared Survey Explorer (WISE) have discovered two celestial objects traveling through our neighborhood: 2016 WF9 and C/2016 U1 NEOWISE.
--Anonymous
replies 104Jan 1, 2017 5:16 PM +00:00

There was a recent Comet that looked just like a huge cock aimlessly traveling Space in search of a willing tight Bottom!

--Anonymous
replies 105Jan 3, 2017 4:29 AM +00:00

Fast radio bursts now a bit less mysterious.

For as long as astronomers have known about Fast Radio Bursts (FRBs), they’ve been stumped. About a decade ago, researchers discovered in archived 2001 data an extremely fast — just a few milliseconds — burst of radio emissions. They’d never seen anything like it before, and didn’t know where it came from or what could cause it. Finally, we’re starting to get a few answers.

Continues...

Astronomy.com
--Anonymous
replies 106Jan 5, 2017 4:06 PM +00:00

R98 = wise acre

--Anonymous
replies 107Jan 5, 2017 4:14 PM +00:00
R101: Anyone here have a telescope? Are they worth getting? Can you see anything with the small ones?

I bought one for my nephew, though I seem to be the only one who uses it. It cost $400-something.

I can see four twinkling moons in Jupiter's orbit with it. I learned that Venus has phases, like the moon. I've seen Saturn and it's rings, too. Otherwise, I don't think there is a lot going on out there that you can see for under $500. If you have abundant cash, yeah, spring for it. Otherside, I wouldn't bother, but it's good to interest children, if they care.

There's an app called "Star Walk" which is pretty cool. It helps locate items in the sky, relative to other, known entities, like the Big or Little Dipper, which helps a lot.

I also learned that the international space station is visible with the naked eye and often flies overhead. You can clink the link to NASA (here), and set it up so that it emails you when it is going to pass overhead. It's pretty cool. If you have better eyes than me, you might be able to see the solar panels on it.

Offsite Link
--Anonymous
replies 108Jan 5, 2017 4:27 PM +00:00

A chunk of interplanetary debris recently slammed into Mars and left this fresh crater and spray of ejecta.

Astronomy.com
--Anonymous
replies 109Jan 6, 2017 11:59 PM +00:00

Evidence of supermassive black holes found in neighbouring galaxies

Astronomers find evidence of black holes concealed behind clouds of gas and dust in two of Earth’s galactic neighbours

Press Association, Saturday 7 January 2017 16.15 GMT

Monster black holes may be lurking behind smokescreens in our cosmic backyard, say scientists. But they are still millions of light years away and much too distant to pose any threat to Earth.

Astronomers have discovered evidence of supermassive black holes at the centre of two of our galactic neighbours. One, the galaxy NGC 1448, is “just” 38m light years from our own body of stars, the Milky Way. The other, IC 3639, is 170m light years away. Both are classified as “active” galaxies that emit intense levels of radiation.

In each case the powerful black hole is concealed behind clouds of gas and dust. Scientists now believe most large galaxies have supermassive black holes at their cores, but many are hidden from view.

Black holes are places where gravity is so powerful it traps light and distorts time and space. They can only be detected from the last-gasp emissions of radiation from objects falling into them.

The hidden black holes were spotted by Nasa’s Nustar (nuclear spectroscopic telescope array) orbiting observatory.

British researchers from the universities of Durham and Southampton conducted analysis of the Nustar data. Ady Annuar, of the University of Durham’s centre for extragalactic astronomy, said: “These black holes are relatively close to the Milky Way, but they have remained hidden from us until now. They’re like monsters hiding under your bed.

“Their recent discoveries certainly call out the question of how many other supermassive black holes we are still missing, even in our nearby universe.”

Daniel Stern, project scientist for Nustar at Nasa’s jet propulsion laboratory, said: “It is exciting to use the power of Nustar to get important, unique information on these beasts, even in our cosmic backyard where they can be studied in detail.”

Astronomers find evidence of black holes concealed behind clouds of gas and dust in two of Earth’s galactic neighbours
the Guardian
--Anonymous
replies 110Jan 7, 2017 1:27 PM +00:00

60 Minutes has a segment airing tonight, right now, about a new planet thought/predicted to be way out yonder. I haven't seen it yet. I'm watching on tape-delay. It's thought to be maybe 5x the size of Earth.

--Anonymous
replies 111Jan 8, 2017 2:54 PM +00:00

An asteroid swooped right between the Earth and the moon today.

The newly discovered asteroid came within half the distance from the Earth to the Moon

Astronomy.com
--Anonymous
replies 112Jan 9, 2017 5:30 PM +00:00

It was just the Christmas Moose flying back from Chicago to his zoo in Stoneham, MA. He missed the first day of work today and now the Management wants its purple sash back. It's his most prized possession, after his stuffed animals.

--Friend of Christmas Moose
replies 113Jan 9, 2017 5:43 PM +00:00

New images from Mars orbiter show the Earth and Moon.

What it’s like seeing our home planet from the red planet

Astronomy.com
--Anonymous
replies 114Jan 11, 2017 7:21 AM +00:00

Wow, R114, 127 million miles is a long way!

--I can see my house!
replies 115Jan 11, 2017 8:40 AM +00:00

In 2022 we’ll be able to watch an 1,800-year old star collision

Tom Bawden 12:10 Tuesday January 10th 2017

A star created 1,800 years ago after the collision of two distant suns is set to appear in the night sky for the first time – as the light from the crash finally reaches the Earth.

Scientists predict that for six months in 2022, stargazers will be able to witness the birth of the new star, which formed at the time of the Romans’ war with Scottish tribes, by fixing their telescopes near the Pisces and Cygnus constellations.

Boom Star

Dubbed the Boom Star, it has taken nearly two millennia for its light to reach earth — where it will be able to be seen by the naked eye.

Before their collision the two stars were too dim to be seen without the aid of an extremely powerful telescope but astronomers expect the collision to increase the brightness of the pair ten thousand fold, making it one of the brightest stars in the heaven for a time. The explosion, known as a Red Nova, will then dissipate and the star will remain visible as a single bright, but duller, dot.

The prediction is based on a study of the two stars, which are orbiting each other in ever decreasing circles and appear to be on course for a collision. Assuming they are correct, it would be the first time such an event was predicted by scientists.

“If the prediction is correct, then for the first time in history, parents will be able to point to a dark spot in the sky and say, ‘watch kids, there’s a star hiding in there, but soon it’s going to light up,” said Matt Walhout, of Calvin College in Michigan, which has been researching the star, along with Apache Point observatory and the University of Wyoming.

“It will be a very dramatic change in the sky, as anyone can see it. You won’t need a telescope to tell me in 2023 whether I was wrong or I was right,” added Larry Molnar, also of Calvin College.

A star created 1,800 years ago after the collision of two distant suns is set to appear in the night sky for the first time - as the light from the crash f
iNews
--Anonymous
replies 116Jan 13, 2017 1:16 PM +00:00

1800 years ago the Chinese began to have constant contact with the Japanese.

--Anonymous
replies 117Jan 13, 2017 3:57 PM +00:00

Dazzling, R117!

--Anonymous
replies 118Jan 13, 2017 4:32 PM +00:00

Pluto is ........where I want to send Donald Trump, Steve Bannon, Reince Priebus, Mitch McConnell, Paul Ryan, The Koch Bros, Kelley Anne Conway, Sean Hannity, Rush Linbaugh, I could add hundreds more but you get the idea.

--Anonymous
replies 119Jan 13, 2017 4:44 PM +00:00

Pluto's not that big an object, R119! Especially with Trump, Christy, and Limbaugh.

--Anonymous
replies 120Jan 13, 2017 4:56 PM +00:00

Bulge in Venus’ atmosphere likely caused by gravity waves.

A massive, bow-shaped wave was spotted for the first time in the highest regions of Venus’ atmosphere, perplexing astronomers.

Astronomy.com
--Anonymous
replies 121Jan 17, 2017 4:14 PM +00:00

Geoengineering Effort Could Pose Big Problem For Astronomers.

Potential large-scale solutions to combat the influence that humans have on Earth's rising temperatures may directly affect astronomers.

Some studies have shown that adding clouds to the atmosphere can increase the brightening of the night sky by as much as 25 percent.
NBC News
--Anonymous
replies 122Jan 20, 2017 1:56 PM +00:00

Astronomers search for signs of life on Wolf 1061 exoplanet.

Is there anybody out there? The question of whether Earthlings are alone in the universe has puzzled everyone from biologists and physicists to philosophers and filmmakers. It's also the driving force behind San Francisco State University astronomer Stephen Kane's research into exoplanets—planets that exist outside Earth's solar system.

Is there anybody out there? The question of whether Earthlings are alone in the universe has puzzled everyone from biologists and physicists to philosophers and filmmakers. It's also the driving force behind San Francisco State University astronomer Stephen Kane's research into exoplanets—planets that exist outside Earth's solar system.
phys.org
--Anonymous
replies 123Jan 21, 2017 3:42 PM +00:00

Ok, here is the DL poll answer, yay!

Pluto is:

A cartoon dog. - This is TRUE!

A real dog - This is probably true, somewhere, but not generally true for our purposes.

A proto planet - No, we fooled you!

A planet, damnit - No, sorry, denialists.

A proxy planet - Nope. What were you thinking? Are you even in the right thread?

A dwarf planet - YES! TRUE! Pluto was demoted to dwarf planet. Not to be sizist, but still.

Goofy's bitch - Possibly. It's a big world.

We bought a zoo! - Always TRUE!

None of your business - The truthfulness of this response is classified.

Ask again later - Truthfulness will be revealed in another year or so.

--O
replies 124Jan 21, 2017 4:58 PM +00:00

Burst!

--Anonymous
replies 125Jan 22, 2017 5:33 AM +00:00

The Farthest Galaxy Ever Found.

Patreon page: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=2318196&ty=h Hello and welcome to What Da Math! In this video, we will talk about the farthest (and youngest) ga...
YouTube
--Anonymous
replies 126Jan 22, 2017 9:00 AM +00:00

A Colorful ‘Landing’ on Pluto.

What would it be like to actually land on Pluto? This movie was made from more than 100 images taken by NASA’s New Horizons spacecraft over six weeks of appr...
YouTube
--Anonymous
replies 127Jan 24, 2017 4:07 PM +00:00

Speedy universe expansion challenges Einstein’s theory

The universe is expanding faster than we thought, causing problems for cosmologists. It could even mean Einstein’s theory of relativity needs revising

Stuart Clark, Thursday 26 January 2017 15.50 GMT

Its like a game of cat and mouse. Every time astronomers think they are getting close to understanding the universe, mother nature throws them another curveball to contend with.

Today’s googly comes from the H0LiCOW collaboration and takes the form of a faster than expected expansion rate for the universe. Based on new observations taken with the Hubble Space Telescope, it confirms that a serious discrepancy lies at the heart of our astronomical understanding.

The rate at which the universe is expanding is a fundamental quantity with which to test cosmological theory. It is called the Hubble Constant after Edwin Hubble, the American astronomer who first measured it in 1929.

Ways to measure Hubble’s constant fall into two camps: the study of relatively nearby celestial objects, and the study of far distant radiation left over from the origin of the universe.

Both methods should give the same expansion rate. The trouble – as confirmed today – is that they don’t.

The problem was first seen last June, when another team of astronomers known as the SH0ES project, published a surprisingly high Hubble Constant that conflicted with the value from two spacecraft: NASA’s WMAP and ESA’s Planck.

WMAP and Planck had calculated relatively slow Hubble Constants from the Universe’s microwave background radiation, which was produced during the split second in which the universe came into existence.

At the time, the astronomers were so confident with the spacecraft that they began referring to the era of ‘precision cosmology’. In their opinion, just about everything was known about the make-up of the universe, with just the astronomical ‘i’ dotting and ’t’ crossing to be done.

Today’s results, which are to be published in a series of five papers by the UK’s Royal Astronomical Society, show that there is much more to be done than the fine detail.

In a statement accompanying the results, H0LiCOW team leader Sherry Suyu, Technical University Munich Germany said, “The expansion rate of the Universe is now starting to be measured in different ways with such high precision that actual discrepancies may possibly point towards new physics beyond our current knowledge of the Universe.”

The bottom line is that the universe to almost certainly more complex than we thought – and its already byzantine. To explain other puzzling observations, cosmologists have postulated a number of substances that affect the expansion rate.

Firstly there is dark energy, which is designed to accelerate the expansion of the universe. Maybe these new observations suggest that it is growing in strength.

Secondly, there is dark matter. Despite suspecting its existence for decades now, astronomers and physicists are no closer to detecting a single particle of the stuff. Could it be behaving in a way that affects the expansion?

Thirdly, could there be a kind of dark radiation? This would invisibly carry energy around the cosmos, altering the expansion.

Fourthly, could there be a problem with Einstein’s general theory of relativity? This is the mathematical framework that astronomers use to calculate Hubble’s Constant based on the matter and energy contained in space. If those equations are even slightly off, then we could have everything else right and still be getting the wrong answer.

As yet no one knows which is the more likely solution.

Today’s results confirm that what started as a niggle has grown into a full-blown problem for cosmology. Put simply, our picture of the Universe does not add up and that means there is probably something fundamental we have not yet understood.

This is a good thing. The potential for discovery is huge. Exciting times are ahead.

The universe is expanding faster than we thought, causing problems for cosmologists. It could even mean Einstein’s theory of relativity needs revising
the Guardian
--Anonymous
replies 128Jan 26, 2017 2:46 PM +00:00

Milky Way being pushed through space by cosmic dead zone, say scientists

It is known that our galaxy is being pulled through space, but cosmologists suspected it was being pushed as well – and new research might confirm it

It is known that our galaxy is being pulled through space, but cosmologists suspected it was being pushed as well – and new research might confirm it
the Guardian
--Anonymous
replies 129Jan 30, 2017 2:00 PM +00:00

Thanks, Astronomy guy.

--Anonymous
replies 130Jan 30, 2017 2:10 PM +00:00

A ground-breaking study released in the journal Physical Review Letters (arXiv.org version) offers what its authors call ‘the first observational evidence that the Universe could be a complex hologram.’ The study, led by University of Waterloo Professor Niayesh Afshordi, may lead to new beliefs on the Big Bang theory and quantum gravity.

A ground-breaking study released in the journal Physical Review Letters (arXiv.org version) offers what its authors call ‘the first observational evidence that the Universe could be a complex hologram.’
--Anonymous
replies 131Feb 1, 2017 7:15 AM +00:00

It's only OK for those who fetishise g4p men.

--Anonymous
replies 132Feb 1, 2017 7:23 AM +00:00

I have trouble understanding "gravity". I know mass, like the Earth or Sun, warps space-time. So, it's a physical thing. I understand that, somewhat. I don't understand why there would be gravity waves, even though they are only a theory today and haven't yet been discovered.

--Pluto
replies 133Feb 1, 2017 7:37 AM +00:00

Gravity is probably a fake, a plug to make the equations work out that acutally consists of a number of different things going on.

--Anonymous
replies 134Feb 1, 2017 7:54 AM +00:00

R134, there is an equation from Newton that describes gravity pretty well. I think Einstein's theory correcting Newton has been found to be correct, as far as it goes. We don't know all about it, but we know this much.

--Anonymous
replies 135Feb 1, 2017 11:41 AM +00:00

The case of Ceres’ disappearing volcanoes.

Is Ceres’ lone cryovolcano truly alone, or have its peers simply flattened out over time?

Astronomy.com
--Anonymous
replies 136Feb 4, 2017 7:45 AM +00:00

Hubble Space Telescope Observes NGC 7640

The NASA/ESA Hubble Space Telescope has taken a picture of the galaxy NGC 7640.
--Anonymous
replies 137Feb 6, 2017 7:12 AM +00:00

Astronomers discover a white dwarf that acts like a pulsar.

This star refused to simply go out — instead, the white dwarf it left behind continues to blast its companion with a beam of radiation as a pulsar.

Astronomy.com
--Anonymous
replies 138Feb 8, 2017 1:50 PM +00:00

R133, what are you talking about? Gravitational waves have been discovered... I would hardly call them "just theory"

--Anonymous
replies 139Feb 8, 2017 2:42 PM +00:00

I did not know that, R139. Can you recommend a reference?

--R133
replies 140Feb 8, 2017 2:56 PM +00:00

The star Betelgeuse is just on the verge of going supernova. It should happen within 100,000 years. I hope it happens in my lifetime. That would be exciting.

en.m.wikipedia.org
--Anonymous
replies 141Feb 8, 2017 6:09 PM +00:00

Astronomers find a new class of black holes.

Welcome to the astronomical world, intermediate-mass black holes.

Astronomy.com
--Anonymous
replies 142Feb 10, 2017 10:52 AM +00:00

Here ya go, R133.

For the first time, scientists have observed ripples in the fabric of spacetime called gravitational waves, arriving at the earth from a cataclysmic event in the distant universe. This confirms a major prediction of Albert Einstein's 1915 general theory of relativity and opens an unprecedented new window onto the cosmos.
LIGO Lab | Caltech
--Anonymous
replies 143Feb 10, 2017 11:03 AM +00:00

How the Universe can expand if there is no extra space

The Universe has been expanding ever since the Big Bang, but what is it expanding into?

13 February 2017

The Universe can expand without there being anything outside it for it to expand into, says science writer and astrophysicist Adam Becker. He explains this mind-bending idea to BBC Earth's Michael Marshall and Melissa Hogenboom, with help from the animators at Pomona Pictures.

The Universe has been expanding ever since the Big Bang, but what is it expanding into?
www.bbc.com
--Anonymous
replies 144Feb 13, 2017 2:23 PM +00:00

Massive supernova visible millions of light years from Earth

California observatory spots dying star 10,000 times brighter than the sun before explosion in a spiral galaxy 160m light years from constellation of Pegasus

California observatory spots dying star 10,000 times brighter than the sun before explosion in a spiral galaxy 160m light years from constellation of Pegasus
the Guardian
--Anonymous
replies 145Feb 13, 2017 2:39 PM +00:00

What is matter stops being matter once it enters a black hole? What if all the forces and laws that make energy manifest itself in the form or electrons, photons, quarks, atoms, molecules, etc. are broken in a black hole and matter goes back to a state of simple energy like it was before these particles formed?

--Anonymous
replies 146Feb 13, 2017 2:59 PM +00:00

Astronomers observe black hole producing cold, star-making fuel.

astronomynow.com
--Anonymous
replies 147Feb 17, 2017 12:08 PM +00:00

Scientists are months away from peering into black holes for the first time.

We’ve seen indirect evidence for decades. Now it’s time for the Event Horizon Telescope to stare one in the eyes.

Astronomy.com
--Anonymous
replies 148Feb 19, 2017 4:25 PM +00:00

I want to get into astronomy again, but do you find it hard to read or conceptualize with all the theories, the infinite, huge distances etc?

--Anonymous
replies 149Feb 19, 2017 4:36 PM +00:00

R148 I happen to know a lot of the astronomers involved in the Event Horizon Telescope... really really pleased to see they're getting so much attention. It'll totally be potential for a Nobel Prize, if you ask me.

--Anonymous
replies 150Feb 19, 2017 5:34 PM +00:00

The brightest, most distant pulsar has a complex and powerful magnetic field.

Just how brightly can a neutron star shine?

Astronomy.com
--Anonymous
replies 151Feb 21, 2017 9:47 PM +00:00

Thrilling discovery of seven Earth-sized planets orbiting nearby star

Exoplanets found orbiting Trappist-1 raise hope that the hunt for alien life beyond the solar system can start much sooner than previously thought

Exoplanets found orbiting Trappist-1 raise hope that the hunt for alien life beyond the solar system can start much sooner than previously thought
the Guardian
--Anonymous
replies 152Feb 22, 2017 1:42 PM +00:00

South pole, Jupiter. An image from NASA’s Juno spacecraft taken directly over Jupiter’s south pole from an altitude of about 62,800 miles. This enhanced colour version highlights the bright high clouds and numerous meandering oval storms. Photograph: NASA/AFP/Getty Images

The Guardian’s picture editors bring you a selection of photo highlights from around the world, including the return of a stolen gate and a performance at the Vatican
the Guardian
--Anonymous
replies 153Feb 22, 2017 1:59 PM +00:00

South pole, Jupiter. An image from NASA’s Juno spacecraft taken directly over Jupiter’s south pole from an altitude of about 62,800 miles. This enhanced colour version highlights the bright high clouds and numerous meandering oval storms. Photograph: NASA/AFP/Getty Images

i.guim.co.uk
--Anonymous
replies 154Feb 22, 2017 2:03 PM +00:00

Even Google is celebrating the announcement R152

--Anonymous
replies 155Feb 22, 2017 3:17 PM +00:00

Adorable Google animation celebrating the discovery of the 7 exoplanets.

Seven Earth-sized exoplanets discovered! #GoogleDoodle
g.co
--Anonymous
replies 156Feb 23, 2017 4:04 AM +00:00

It would be aswesome if astronomers soon could find life on other planet. That would make Judeo-Christian religions collapse.

--Anonymous
replies 157Feb 23, 2017 9:33 AM +00:00
Thrilling discovery of seven Earth-sized planets orbiting nearby star

A professor of astronomy said with our fastest present spacecraft it would take 80,000 earth years to reach these planets.

--Anonymous
replies 158Feb 23, 2017 9:50 AM +00:00
R157: It would be aswesome if astronomers soon could find life on other planet. That would make Judeo-Christian religions collapse.

The Pope has already issued a statement that the discovery of life on other planets would not negate the redemptive message of Jesus Christ or challenge the existence of God.

--Anonymous
replies 159Feb 23, 2017 12:22 PM +00:00

Really? R159

I'm trying to find any articles on that but can't find any. But regardless of that, these religions tend to do similar things in order not to be forgotten in time as when slavery was abolished and frowned upon but in the bible slavery is OK so they changed their attitude so that society doesn't look down on them.

--Anonymous
replies 160Feb 23, 2017 3:02 PM +00:00

Did you know that the Vatican has its own astronomical observatory? It's obsolete, but still functions.

Live and learn. That applies to people and long-lived institutions.

--Anonymous
replies 161Feb 23, 2017 5:36 PM +00:00

I think it was Benedict, but might even have been JPII. It was a while ago.

--Anonymous
replies 162Feb 23, 2017 5:38 PM +00:00

Well, it doesn't suprise me if the Vatican has an observatory. They have lots of treasures and money yet they want to school people on solidarity. The bible itself says they should give all their possessions to the poor and people in need but they don't follow the example at all. Greedy men.

Let's hope there no religion on other planets.

--Anonymous
replies 163Feb 23, 2017 9:36 PM +00:00

Edge of darkness: looking into the black hole at the heart of the Milky Way

It would take a telescope as big as a planet to see the supermassive black hole at the centre of the Milky Way. But a team of scientists think they know how to do it

It would take a telescope as big as a planet to see the supermassive black hole at the centre of the Milky Way. But a team of scientists think they know how to do it
the Guardian
--Anonymous
replies 164Feb 26, 2017 2:49 PM +00:00
R163: ...The bible itself says they should give all their possessions to the poor and people in need but they don't follow the example at all. Greedy men.

My understanding is that you have misinterpreted this passage. It is more complicated than it seems.

In addition, the Vatican holds artwork and, I guess, the observatory, in trust for the benefit of the Church and it's people through the centuries. It is more complicated than just "give everything away".

--Anonymous
replies 165Feb 26, 2017 3:19 PM +00:00

"Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me." (Matthew 19:21)

If the bible says that Jesus, the son of god, could do his job without money then why doesn't the Vatican sells all its possessions and trust god to provide? R165

--Anonymous
replies 166Feb 26, 2017 3:30 PM +00:00

R166, this thread isn't intended to be for theological debates, and I'm not theologian, but as to this specific biblical passage: Firstly, you should look at it completely in context. "Jesus answered" what? What was he answering? Secondly, I recall reading that the passage is meant to be about how attachment to one's worldly possessions can separate you for God; not about impoverishing oneself for charity sake.

I'm sorry if I'm wrong about this, R166, but my sense is that you prefer a simplistic approach of taking things out of context or making a simplistic misinterpretation if it supports your preconception of Catholics being "bad" in whatever way you already believe. There is plenty of things wrong with the Catholic Church, there's no need to invent failings where they don't exist, if you are open minded.

--Anonymous
replies 167Feb 26, 2017 6:23 PM +00:00

The thing is very simple to understand. The Vatican is like a little kingdom with many kings and princes. As a little monarchy they are rich, VERY RICH, chock-full of treasures of all kinds that they are not willing to distribute in a way that can help poor people in anyway because they enjoy being little kings and princes sorrounded by treasures. It has been so for too long and they have grown attached to worldly treasures.

This is why they give themselves the pleasure of having their own astronomical observatory even though in theory it is not their job to spend money on looking at the stars.

It is not about being open-minded (as if the Vatican were open.minded especially when it comes to the liberties and rights of those the stigmatise); it is simply that the Vatican is a little kingdom of hypocrites who love to teach others about morality and austerity yet they are incredibly immoral and greedy. R167

There was Chilean priest who used to say "give until it hurts". Vatican, do you give until it hurts?

Astronomers exist for a reason. The Vatican having an observatory has nothing to do with what they want us to believe about them.

--Anonymous
replies 168Feb 26, 2017 9:00 PM +00:00

From Wikipedia:

The Church has had a long-standing interest in astronomy, due to the astronomical basis of the calendar by which holy days and Easter are determined. For instance, the Gregorian Calendar, promulgated in 1582 by Pope Gregory XIII, was developed by Aloysius Lilius and later modified by Christoph Clavius at the Collegio Romano from astronomical data. The Gregorian Tower was completed in 1580 for his purpose, designed by Bolognese architect Ottaviano Matte.

R168, if you want to continue this discussion, please srart a new thread. The topic doesn't belong here. Thank you.

--R167
replies 169Feb 27, 2017 5:54 PM +00:00

This video explains why we cannot go faster than light

The Universe has a speed limit and it seems there is no way around it

28 February 2017

Science writer and astrophysicist Adam Becker explains why we cannot go faster than light to BBC Earth's Melissa Hogenboom and Michael Marshall, with help from the animators at Pomona Pictures.

The Universe has a speed limit and it seems there is no way around it
www.bbc.com
--Anonymous
replies 170Feb 28, 2017 1:18 PM +00:00

I liked the associated video about what the universe is expanding into. I've been wondering about that.

--Anonymous
replies 171Mar 1, 2017 12:36 PM +00:00

All our generation is left with is developing the technology to detect life on other planets. If we could detect evidence of intelligent life that would be awesome.

Who knows how many generations will have to pass until humans can develop the techology to travel to other planets and have direct contact with eventual intelligent life...

--Anonymous
replies 172Mar 1, 2017 2:32 PM +00:00

Trappist.

Space Time viewers can get 15% off their next purchase at legalzoom by going to https://www.legalzoom.com/spacetime Can humanity survive on one of the seven ...
YouTube
--Anonymous
replies 173Mar 4, 2017 9:40 AM +00:00

The fact the sky is dark reveals a lot about the Universe

It may seem utterly obvious that the sky is dark, but in fact it seems to give rise to a peculiar paradox about the cosmos

7 March 2017

Science writer and astrophysicist Adam Becker explains why the sky is dark at night to BBC Earth's Michael Marshall, with help from the animators at Pomona Pictures.

It may seem utterly obvious that the sky is dark, but in fact it seems to give rise to a peculiar paradox about the cosmos
www.bbc.com
--Anonymous
replies 174Mar 7, 2017 2:10 PM +00:00

Good one, R174 spaceman!

--Anonymous
replies 175Mar 7, 2017 3:13 PM +00:00

Kepler provides more information about TRAPPIST-1.

The spacecraft gives us another look at our cool new neighbor.

The spacecraft gives us another look at our cool new neighbor
Astronomy.com
--Anonymous
replies 176Mar 10, 2017 6:07 AM +00:00

If the Earth got much of its ocean water from comets, it must have grown significantly in size from the other material in the comet. (In the "Late Heavy Bombardment".) They look like they are 99.99% solid material. I wish I heard more about this.

--Anonymous
replies 177Mar 11, 2017 9:06 AM +00:00

20% by weight water, I just heard. So, 80% rocky stuff.

--Anonymous
replies 178Mar 11, 2017 9:08 AM +00:00

The Andromeda Galaxy is on a collision course with the Milky Way Galaxy, bitches!

--This is not a drill!
replies 179Mar 11, 2017 7:35 PM +00:00

Building the universe’s first supermassive black holes.

Could galaxies cause black hole formation in their neighbors?

Could galaxies cause black hole formation in their neighbors?
Astronomy.com
--Anonymous
replies 180Mar 13, 2017 7:27 PM +00:00

This is what Kepler sees when it stares at TRAPPIST-1.

Pixels all the way down.

Pixels all the way down.
Astronomy.com
--Anonymous
replies 181Mar 16, 2017 7:42 AM +00:00

Why almost all of the Universe is utterly invisible

About 95% of the cosmos cannot be seen by any telescopes, because it is made of mysterious "dark matter" and "dark energy" that do not interact with light

15 March 2017

Science writer and astrophysicist Adam Becker explains why so much of the Universe is invisible to BBC Earth's Melissa Hogenboom, with help from the animators at Pomona Pictures.

About 95% of the cosmos cannot be seen by any telescopes, because it is made of mysterious "dark matter" and "dark energy" that do not interact with light
www.bbc.com
--Anonymous
replies 182Mar 16, 2017 3:08 PM +00:00

Astronomers observe a dying red giant star's final act.

An international team of astronomers has observed a striking spiral pattern in the gas surrounding a red giant star named LL Pegasi and its companion star 3,400 light-years from Earth, using a powerful telescope in northern Chile called Atacama Large Millimeter/submillimeter Array, or ALMA.
phys.org
--Anonymous
replies 183Mar 19, 2017 5:41 PM +00:00

Why we do not know what the Big Bang looked like

This one cataclysmic event gave rise to our entire Universe, but it seems we can never truly know what it looked like

23 March 2017

Science writer and astrophysicist Adam Becker explains why we cannot see the Big Bang to BBC Earth's Michael Marshall and Melissa Hogenboom, with help from the animators at Pomona Pictures.

This one cataclysmic event gave rise to our entire Universe, but it seems we can never truly know what it looked like
www.bbc.com
--Anonymous
replies 184Mar 23, 2017 2:30 PM +00:00

Astronomers spot a runaway quasar.

This rogue black hole may have been ousted from the center of its galaxy by gravitational waves.

This rogue black hole may have been ousted from the center of its galaxy by gravitational waves.
Astronomy.com
--Anonymous
replies 185Mar 24, 2017 8:04 AM +00:00

Astronomers find a puzzling pair of merging galaxies.

This minor galaxy merger hosts a major surprise: a tiny galaxy with a huge black hole.

This minor galaxy merger hosts a major surprise: a tiny galaxy with a huge black hole.
Astronomy.com
--Anonymous
replies 186Mar 28, 2017 2:18 PM +00:00

See a trio of comets in the April sky.

astronomynow.com
--Anonymous
replies 187Apr 3, 2017 8:55 AM +00:00

The physics that tells us what the Universe is made of

Everything around us is made of atoms, but it turns out that the building blocks of the Universe are far stranger than that

5 April 2017

Science writer and astrophysicist Adam Becker explains what the Universe is made of to BBC Earth's Michael Marshall and Melissa Hogenboom, with help from the animators at Pomona Pictures.

Everything around us is made of atoms, but it turns out that the building blocks of the Universe are far stranger than that
www.bbc.com
--Anonymous
replies 188Apr 5, 2017 2:06 PM +00:00

Hot and steamy atmosphere detected on Earth-like planet

Goal of finding alien life a step closer with discovery, which marks one of the first times an atmosphere has been spotted around a small, rocky world

Ian Sample, Science editor, Thursday 6 April 2017 12.37 EDT

Goal of finding alien life a step closer with discovery, which marks one of the first times an atmosphere has been spotted around a small, rocky world
the Guardian
--Anonymous
replies 189Apr 6, 2017 1:33 PM +00:00

But that planet is hot like Venus u.u

--Anonymous
replies 190Apr 6, 2017 5:36 PM +00:00

Incredible that they can detect an atmosphere. E entuslly, they'll find an atmosphere with whatever it is that indicates life. I can see that happening in my lifetime, though I think it it won't be provable in my lifetime, just highly believed.

--Anonymous
replies 191Apr 6, 2017 6:51 PM +00:00

Hubble captures auroras on Uranus.

The seventh planet puts on quite a light show.

The seventh planet puts on quite a light show.
Astronomy.com
--Anonymous
replies 192Apr 11, 2017 11:42 PM +00:00

Astronomers Found an Enormous Object Orbiting at the Edge of Our Solar System.

This newly discovered planetary body could hold clues about our origin.
Futurism
--Anonymous
replies 193Apr 16, 2017 10:27 PM +00:00

Watch asteroid 2014 JO25 brush by Earth on 19 April.

astronomynow.com
--Anonymous
replies 194Apr 19, 2017 4:41 AM +00:00

We are always reading about black holes eating stars. What eats a black hole?

--Hoping to see some pics that provide an answer
replies 195Apr 19, 2017 5:45 AM +00:00

Another black hole that's more massive giving birth to a bigger black hole R195

--Anonymous
replies 196Apr 19, 2017 5:58 AM +00:00

New contender in hunt for alien life discovered by astronomers

Exoplanet LHS 1140b is believed to be about 40% larger than Earth and lies 39 light years away in the constellation of Cetus, orbiting a red dwarf star

Exoplanet LHS 1140b is believed to be about 40% larger than Earth and lies 39 light years away in the constellation of Cetus, orbiting a red dwarf star
the Guardian
--Anonymous
replies 197Apr 19, 2017 2:05 PM +00:00

What Earth looks like from other planets.

NASA released Cassini’s final image of Earth.

NASA released Cassini’s final image of Earth.
Astronomy.com
--Anonymous
replies 198Apr 21, 2017 4:55 PM +00:00

Astronomers find black hole in Sagittarius constellation.

An international team of astronomers led The University of Manchester have found evidence of a new 'missing-link' black hole in the Milky Way galaxy, hidden in the Sagittarius constellation.

An international team of astronomers led The University of Manchester have found evidence of a new 'missing-link' black hole in the Milky Way galaxy, hidden in the Sagittarius constellation.
phys.org
--Anonymous
replies 199Apr 28, 2017 5:42 PM +00:00

How a hidden population of pulsars may leave the Milky Way aglow.

Most people think dark matter is the culprit in this mysterious warm light — but the real answer may be much simpler.

Most people think dark matter is the culprit in this mysterious warm light — but the real answer may be much simpler.
Astronomy.com
--Anonymous
replies 200May 3, 2017 8:07 AM +00:00

Scientists found a wave of ultra hot gas bigger than the Milky Way.

Big waves keep on rolling. Perseus Galaxy Cluster keep on burning.

Big waves keep on rolling. Perseus Galaxy Cluster keep on burning.
Astronomy.com
--Anonymous
replies 201May 5, 2017 4:27 PM +00:00

Thank you, R201. I enjoy your posts.

--Anonymous
replies 202May 5, 2017 4:50 PM +00:00

OP is SUCH a Capricorn.

--Anonymous
replies 203May 5, 2017 5:02 PM +00:00

Get ready for our first image of a black hole.

The Event Horizon Telescope will peer into the space immediately surrounding our galaxy’s supermassive black hole.

The Event Horizon Telescope will peer into the space immediately surrounding our galaxy’s supermassive black hole.
Astronomy.com
--Anonymous
replies 204May 12, 2017 3:33 PM +00:00

The first true-color images of Saturn taken during Cassini’s close encounter are coming in — and they’re beautiful!.

--Anonymous
replies 205May 17, 2017 8:02 AM +00:00

Wow R205 - great pics! Thanks for posting.

--Anonymous
replies 206May 17, 2017 5:58 PM +00:00

The circles and hexagon are amazing and a little spooky!

--Anonymous
replies 207May 17, 2017 6:01 PM +00:00

That image captioned "Saturn’s north pole Hexagon" is just stunning. Amazing.

--Anonymous
replies 208May 17, 2017 6:10 PM +00:00

The mysterious hexagon on Saturn's pole.

I don't know if it has been explained already.

--Anonymous
replies 209May 18, 2017 8:18 PM +00:00

The hexagon has been explained as being caused by six different jet streams, but it's still strange how all six are apparently of the proper size and strength to maintain that shape.

--Anonymous
replies 210May 18, 2017 9:29 PM +00:00

I'm a Libra and I love astronomy.

--Anonymous
replies 211May 19, 2017 12:37 AM +00:00

The weird star that totally isn’t aliens is dimming again.

The mystery of Tabby’s Star kicks in again.

The mystery of Tabby’s Star kicks in again.
Astronomy.com
--Anonymous
replies 212May 21, 2017 9:33 PM +00:00

Astronomers know TRAPPIST-1h’s orbit.

We now have a little more information about the mysterious, outermost planet.

We now have a little more information about the mysterious, outermost planet.
Astronomy.com
--Anonymous
replies 213May 23, 2017 2:35 PM +00:00

Well, I'm glad that's settled, R213!

--Anonymous
replies 214May 23, 2017 5:10 PM +00:00

Juno peers below Jupiter's clouds

By Jonathan Amos, BBC Science Correspondent, 5 hours ago

Scientists working on the American space agency's new Juno mission say its initial observations at Jupiter have taken their breath away.

Scientists say the Solar System's biggest planet is showing itself to be far more complex than anyone thought.
BBC News
--Anonymous
replies 215May 25, 2017 2:21 PM +00:00

Jupiter looks like a sphere made of oil.

--Anonymous
replies 216May 25, 2017 4:15 PM +00:00

Idiots! Of course Jupiter has a dense core. It has a huge ball of heavy metals and other crap. It wouldn't have miraculously missed vacuuming up the heavy metals in its travels.

--Anonymous
replies 217May 25, 2017 4:30 PM +00:00

Jupiter surprises in first trove of data from NASA’s Juno mission.

astronomynow.com
--Anonymous
replies 218May 27, 2017 7:26 PM +00:00

Third gravitational wave detection gives hints on dark matter and black holes

Latest observation by Ligo brings scientists closer to goal of using gravitational waves to see ancient events invisible to optical and radio telescopes

Hannah Devlin, Science correspondent, Thursday 1 June 2017 16.41 BST

Latest observation by Ligo brings scientists closer to goal of using gravitational waves to see ancient events invisible to optical and radio telescopes
the Guardian
--Anonymous
replies 219Jun 1, 2017 2:37 PM +00:00

VLA Reveals New Object Near Supermassive Black Hole in Famous Galaxy

Astronomers were surprised when the VLA revealed that a bright new object has appeared near the core of a famous galaxy. They think it's a second supermassive black hole, indicating that the galaxy has merged with another in the past.
public.nrao.edu
--Anonymous
replies 220Jun 1, 2017 7:00 PM +00:00

A giant jet spanning continuously for over 300,000 light years is seen blasting out of the galaxy Pictor A.

chandra.si.edu
--Anonymous
replies 221Jun 1, 2017 7:05 PM +00:00

This is what the world should be about. Science, discovering the world we live in; not unfounded belief systems that all they do is spreading hatred and killing innocent people.

--Anonymous
replies 222Jun 3, 2017 8:31 PM +00:00

Extreme exoplanet: Astronomers discover alien world hotter than most stars.

Imagine a planet like Jupiter zipping around its host star every day and a half, superheated to temperatures hotter than most stars and sporting a giant, glowing gas tail like a comet.
phys.org
--Anonymous
replies 223Jun 5, 2017 6:12 PM +00:00

Gravitational lensing of luminous distant galaxies

Boosted by natural magnifying lenses in space, NASA's Hubble Space Telescope has captured unique close-up views of the universe's brightest infrared galaxies.
NASA
--Anonymous
replies 224Jun 7, 2017 1:17 PM +00:00

I love you, spaceman!

--Anonymous
replies 225Jun 7, 2017 3:45 PM +00:00

Ingredient of life found around infant Sun-like stars.

ALMA has observed stars like the Sun at a very early stage in their formation and found traces of methyl isocyanate — a chemical building block of life. This is the first ever detection of this prebiotic molecule towards solar-type protostars, the sort from which our Solar System evolved. The discovery could help astronomers understand how life arose on Earth.

astronomynow.com
--Anonymous
replies 226Jun 9, 2017 11:05 AM +00:00

Does anyone know a good radio program or podcast about the subjects in this thread?

--Anonymous
replies 227Jun 9, 2017 2:08 PM +00:00

Astronomers explain the formation of seven exoplanets around Trappist-1.

Astronomers from the University of Amsterdam have offered an explanation for the formation of the Trappist-1 planetary system. The system has seven planets as big as the Earth that orbit close to their star. The crux, according to the researchers from the Netherlands, is the line where ice changes in water. Near that ice line, pebbles that drifted from outer regions to the star receive an additional portion of water and clot together to form proto-planets. The article with the model has been accepted for publication in the journal Astronomy & Astrophysics.
phys.org
--Anonymous
replies 228Jun 11, 2017 2:45 AM +00:00

Mining the Heavens: Astronomers Could Spot Asteroid Prospects.

Astronomers could help asteroid miners identify the most promising targets, potentially slashing the cost of off-Earth resource extraction, Harvard astrophysicist Martin Elvis said.
Space.com
--Anonymous
replies 229Jun 13, 2017 6:13 PM +00:00

Truth is? We'll never have a good start to avoid danger. Most people aren't astrophysicist or physicist. But-think back to-2/15/2014. No one saw that baby coming over Russia. Split itself in half on entry. There's this asteroid belt. Travels in the dark side of Jupiter & Mercury?. I forget now. Any way anything in this belt could collide, disintegrate & thrown into another orbit at any time & take us out. You just need to know this and demand $ spent on obliterating any threat. Not Korea, not Isis. We've evolved.

--Anonymous
replies 230Jun 13, 2017 7:42 PM +00:00

Wanna be hypnotized? You now how they say blah blah light is coming from the future blah blah. Well- here's a video of about 12 years that shows stars moving & circle black hole. There's something so natural about it but you can't put your finger on it. It's insane. WATCH

An international team of astronomers, lead by researchers at the Max-Planck Institute for Extraterrestrial Physics (MPE), has directly observed an otherwise ...
YouTube
--Anonymous
replies 231Jun 13, 2017 7:53 PM +00:00

The Unbelievable Scale of Black Holes.

Support RealLifeLore and get 10% off your order at Hover by using the link: http://hover.com/reallifelore. 10% off code is RealLifeLore! Black Holes are weir...
YouTube
--Anonymous
replies 232Jun 17, 2017 8:19 PM +00:00

Nasa's Kepler telescope finds 10 Earth-like planets: 'We are not alone'

Rocky worlds discovered by Kepler telescope are right distance from their parent stars for water to pool on the surface This artist rendering shows some of the 219 new planet candidates, 10 of which are near-Earth size and in the habitable zone of their star.

Reuters, Monday 19 June 2017 23.40 EDT

Rocky worlds discovered by Kepler telescope are right distance from their parent stars for water to pool on the surface
the Guardian
--Anonymous
replies 233Jun 20, 2017 3:36 PM +00:00

Comets can shed 50 tons of debris a second. So how can a comet last for centuries?

--Anonymous
replies 234Jun 23, 2017 10:32 AM +00:00

Hubble captures massive dead disk galaxy

astronomynow.com
--Anonymous
replies 235Jun 25, 2017 9:51 PM +00:00

Jupiter’s “String of Pearls”.

astronomynow.com
--Anonymous
replies 236Jun 27, 2017 8:29 PM +00:00

See the sharpest-ever view of giant Betelgeuse.

astronomynow.com
--Anonymous
replies 237Jul 2, 2017 5:00 PM +00:00

NASA releases stunning views of Jupiter’s Great Red Spot.

As Juno prepares for an up-close look at Jupiter’s giant storm, astronomers are supplementing their knowledge with Earth-based observations.

As Juno prepares for an up-close look at Jupiter’s giant storm, astronomers are supplementing their knowledge with Earth-based observations.
Astronomy.com
--Anonymous
replies 238Jul 4, 2017 7:24 PM +00:00

R238, I thought the great spot disapated a few years ago?

--Anonymous
replies 239Jul 4, 2017 7:27 PM +00:00

Surprise methanol detection points to evolving story of Enceladus’s plumes.

A serendipitous detection of the organic molecule methanol around an intriguing moon of Saturn suggests that material spewed from Enceladus undertakes a complex chemical journey once vented into space. This is the first time that a molecule from Enceladus has been detected with a ground-based telescope.

astronomynow.com
--Anonymous
replies 240Jul 5, 2017 5:53 PM +00:00

Thank you astronomer-in-chief! I expect life to be detected within the next 40 years!

--Anonymous
replies 241Jul 5, 2017 5:59 PM +00:00

Mars covered in toxic chemicals that can wipe out living organisms, tests reveal

Discovery has major implications for hunt for alien life on the red planet as it means any evidence is likely to be buried deep underground

Ian Sample, Science editor, Thursday 6 July 2017 14.00 BST

Discovery has major implications for hunt for alien life on the red planet as it means any evidence is likely to be buried deep underground
the Guardian
--Anonymous
replies 242Jul 6, 2017 2:46 PM +00:00

An oddball planet has astronomers scratching their heads.

The star too swift … the planet too far … so far, this system doesn’t make much sense.

The star too swift … the planet too far … so far, this system doesn’t make much sense.
Astronomy.com
--Anonymous
replies 243Jul 10, 2017 6:59 PM +00:00

Smallest-ever star discovered by astronomers.

The smallest star yet measured has been discovered by a team of astronomers led by the University of Cambridge. With a size just a sliver larger than that of Saturn, the gravitational pull at its stellar surface is about 300 times stronger than what humans feel on Earth.

The smallest star yet measured has been discovered by a team of astronomers led by the University of Cambridge. With a size just a sliver larger than that of Saturn, the gravitational pull at its stellar surface is about 300 times stronger than what humans feel on Earth.
phys.org
--Anonymous
replies 244Jul 12, 2017 6:25 PM +00:00

Wouldn't the moon once have had water? I know Mars did.

--Anonymous
replies 245Jul 15, 2017 9:07 AM +00:00

Mars is too small to have liquid water. Unless it is undergroung liquid water...

--Anonymous
replies 246Jul 15, 2017 2:52 PM +00:00

Astronomers don't know what's causing these weird radio waves from a nearby star.

Probably not aliens, though

Bizarre radio signals seem to be coming from a small red star about 11 light-years from Earth, and astronomers aren’t exactly sure what’s causing them. The signals were first picked up in May by...
The Verge
--Anonymous
replies 247Jul 18, 2017 11:50 AM +00:00

We've learned to send transmissions via broadband, which means the content is chopped up into pieces, the pieces sent simultaneously, then reassembled at the destination. This means that a particular frequency can not be used alone, in any way, to understand the message. This means that you can't just tune into a single frequency and hope to get an alien to send you a text.

--Anonymous
replies 248Jul 18, 2017 12:01 PM +00:00

First object teleported to Earth's orbit

Chinese researchers have teleported a photon from the Gobi desert to a satellite orbiting five hundred kilometres above the earth. This is achieved through quantum entanglement, a process where two particles react as one with no physical connection between them.

China teleports first object from the ground to satellite
BBC News
--Anonymous
replies 249Jul 19, 2017 4:03 AM +00:00

Really, teleportation?

I know at least some particles might have the property to teleport on their own, but human reaching the stage where they can cause it themselves...

--Anonymous
replies 250Jul 19, 2017 4:09 AM +00:00

"Alien megastructure" star may be a sign of a dying world.

Or, what disintegrating planets tell us about solar system formation.

Or, what disintegrating planets tell us about solar system formation.
Astronomy.com
--Anonymous
replies 251Jul 20, 2017 6:53 PM +00:00

Moon wetter than previously thought, raising new manned mission possibilities

Satellite data reveals trapped water across the moon’s surface – not just at the poles – in deposits from ancient eruptions, say researchers

Nicola Davis, Monday 24 July 2017 16.06 BST

Satellite data reveals trapped water across the moon’s surface – not just at the poles – in deposits from ancient eruptions, say researchers
the Guardian
--Anonymous
replies 252Jul 24, 2017 2:32 PM +00:00

Astronomy Photographer of the Year 2017 shortlist - in pictures

The Milky Way, the Northern Lights and hurtling asteroids feature in the shortlist for the Insight Astronomy Photographer of the Year award. The winners will be announced on 14 September, and an exhibition of the winning images will be displayed in a free exhibition at the Royal Observatory Greenwich’s Astronomy Centre from 16 September

Joanna Ruck, Wednesday 26 July 2017 07.00 BST

The Milky Way, Northern Lights and asteroids feature in the shortlist for the Insight Astronomy Photographer of the Year award
the Guardian
--Anonymous
replies 253Jul 26, 2017 2:28 PM +00:00

Signal may be from first 'exomoon'

By Paul Rincon Science editor, BBC News website, 2 hours ago

Astronomers have discovered an object that could be the first known moon located beyond the Solar System.

Astronomers have discovered an object that could be the first known moon located beyond the Solar System.
BBC News
--Anonymous
replies 254Jul 27, 2017 12:40 PM +00:00

Smallest galaxy.

Hello and welcome to What Da Math! In this video, we will talk about the smallest discovered galaxy in the universe. Patreon page: https://www.patreon.com/us...
YouTube
--Anonymous
replies 255Aug 1, 2017 10:38 AM +00:00

Astronomers discover ‘heavy metal’ supernova rocking out.

astronomynow.com
--Anonymous
replies 256Aug 4, 2017 6:59 PM +00:00

New Horizons may visit twice the object for the same price.

MU69 could be hiding a strange secret: it’s one object, not two.

MU69 could be hiding a strange secret: it’s one object, not two.
Astronomy.com
--Anonymous
replies 257Aug 7, 2017 12:57 AM +00:00

The space station can be seen in the Boston area today, Mon Aug 07, at 9:49 PM. Max Height: 86°, Appears: 28° above NW, Disappears: 80° above ESE.

--Summer Storm
replies 258Aug 7, 2017 11:46 AM +00:00

The Perseid meteor shower will be at its peak this weekend. Go out, lay on the grass, and look up!

--DON'T TELL ME ITS "lie on the grass"!
replies 259Aug 11, 2017 1:52 PM +00:00

Can you see it in cities?

--Anonymous
replies 260Aug 11, 2017 1:54 PM +00:00

R260, I don't know. I live in a city and I doubt it, but if you've got a comfy chair and a half hour, try it anyway. Maybe you'll see missiles flying by instead.

--R259
replies 261Aug 11, 2017 2:45 PM +00:00

Spectacular Saturn: Cassini's epic pictures using a one megapixel camera

During its 20-year mission to Saturn, Nasa’s Cassini spacecraft has captured some breathtaking images of the ringed planet and its moons, revealing many unexpected secrets. Here are some of the best

Jonny Weeks, Sunday 13 August 2017 19.00 BST

During its 20-year mission to Saturn, Nasa’s Cassini spacecraft has captured some breathtaking images of the ringed planet and its moons, revealing many unexpected secrets. Here are some of the best
the Guardian
--Anonymous
replies 262Aug 13, 2017 2:30 PM +00:00

Voyager: Inside the world's greatest space mission

In 1977, two spacecraft started a mission that has redefined our knowledge of the Solar System – and will soon become our ambassadors on a journey into the unknown. BBC Future looks at their legacy, 40 years after launch.

By Richard Hollingham, 18 August 2017

In 1977, two spacecraft started a mission that has redefined our knowledge of the Solar System – and will soon become our ambassadors on a journey into the unknown.
www.bbc.com
--Anonymous
replies 263Aug 20, 2017 1:50 PM +00:00

Antares: astronomers capture best ever image of a star’s surface and atmosphere

Pictures of red supergiant Antares, 550 light years from Earth, are the most detailed images even taken of a star other than the sun

by Hannah Devlin, Science correspondent, Wednesday 23 August 2017 18.00 BST

Pictures of red supergiant Antares, 550 light years from Earth, are the most detailed images even taken of a star other than the sun
the Guardian
--Anonymous
replies 264Aug 23, 2017 3:45 PM +00:00

It may be raining solid diamonds on Neptune and Uranus!

Scientists have finally simulated the long-proposed shower of gems
Smithsonian
--Anonymous
replies 265Aug 26, 2017 1:34 PM +00:00

Why Black Holes Could Delete The Universe

Black holes are scary things. But they also might reveal the true nature of the universe to us. This video was funded by SNSF under Agora Grant n. 171622 and...
YouTube
--Anonymous
replies 266Aug 27, 2017 7:54 AM +00:00

Four of seven Earth-sized exoplanets may have large quantities of water

Hubble telescope readings suggesting watery outer planets of Trappist-1 – including three in habitable zone – boosts hope for life beyond our solar system

Nicola Davis, Thursday 31 August 2017 17.00 BST

Hubble telescope readings suggesting watery outer planets of Trappist-1 – including three in habitable zone – boosts hope for life beyond our solar system
the Guardian
--Anonymous
replies 267Aug 31, 2017 3:01 PM +00:00

Cool, thanks, r267!

--Anonymous
replies 268Aug 31, 2017 3:03 PM +00:00

Alien search detects radio signals from dwarf galaxy 3bn light years from Earth

Stephen Hawking’s Breakthrough Listen project picks up radio pulses that could be from black holes, neutron stars or, some speculate – UFO beacons

Hannah Devlin Science correspondent, Friday 1 September 2017 18.38 BST

Stephen Hawking’s Breakthrough Listen project picks up radio pulses that could be from black holes, neutron stars or, some speculate – UFO beacons
the Guardian
--Anonymous
replies 269Sep 1, 2017 3:01 PM +00:00

Cool time lapse of Milky Way.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet.
Imgur
--Anonymous
replies 270Sep 2, 2017 3:42 AM +00:00

Supermassive black hole discovered near heart of the Milky Way

Astronomers find evidence of enormous black hole one hundred thousand times more massive than the sun in a gas cloud near the galaxy’s centre

Ian Sample, Science editor, Monday 4 September 2017 11.00 EDT

Astronomers find evidence of enormous black hole one hundred thousand times more massive than the sun in a gas cloud near the galaxy’s centre
the Guardian
--Anonymous
replies 271Sep 4, 2017 6:21 AM +00:00

The single strange repeating fast radio burst is at it again.

Astronomers observed 15 new pulses from this mysterious source — now at higher frequencies than ever before.

Astronomers observed 15 new pulses from this mysterious source — now at higher frequencies than ever before.
Astronomy.com
--Anonymous
replies 272Sep 6, 2017 1:30 PM +00:00

Wow, R262!

I believe we'll find life on other planets, or on the moons in our own solar system, before I die. So, within 35 years. My first guess is the identification of chemical evidence of life in a planet's atmosphere, far, far away, found by a specialized telescope. I'd think we'll find slime or bacteria, not humanoids. I think we'll destroy the planet long before we find intelligent life.

--Anonymous
replies 273Sep 6, 2017 1:37 PM +00:00

Second-Fastest-Spinning Pulsar Found.

An international team of astronomers has discovered a pulsar — the core of a massive star that exploded as a supernova — spinning at more than 42,000 revolutions per minute, making it the second-fastest known.

Offsite Link
--Anonymous
replies 274Sep 8, 2017 7:59 AM +00:00

The sun is acting pretty strange right now.

Regardless of what religion (if any) you practice, there’s no denying that there’s one thing responsible for the continued existence of life on Earth, and it rises and sets every single…
BGR
--Anonymous
replies 275Sep 9, 2017 7:41 AM +00:00

Explosive birth of stars can swell galactic cores.

astronomynow.com
--Anonymous
replies 276Sep 12, 2017 2:10 PM +00:00

Insight Astronomy Photographer of the Year 2017 winners – in pictures

Awe-inspiring views of the universe were celebrated at the Insight Astronomy Photographer of the Year 2017 awards ceremony, held at the Royal Greenwich Observatory

Friday 15 September 2017 12.53 BST

Awe-inspiring views of the universe were celebrated at the Insight Astronomy Photographer of the Year 2017 awards ceremony, held at the Royal Greenwich Observatory
the Guardian
--Anonymous
replies 277Sep 15, 2017 1:31 PM +00:00

The Saturn System Through the Eyes of Cassini (e-Book)

September 11, 2017

This free NASA e-Book celebrates Saturn as seen through the eyes of the Cassini spacecraft.

The Cassini-Huygens mission has revolutionized our knowledge of the Saturn system and revealed surprising places in the solar system where life could potentially gain a foothold—bodies we call ocean worlds.

Since its arrival in 2004, Cassini–Huygens has been nothing short of a discovery machine, captivating us with data and images never before obtained with such detail and clarity. Cassini taught us that Saturn is a far cry from a tranquil lone planet with delicate rings. Now, we know more about Saturn’s chaotic, active, and powerful rings, and the storms that rage beneath. Images and data from Saturn’s moons Titan and Enceladus hint at the possibility of life never before suspected. The rings of Saturn, its moons, and the planet itself offer irresistible and inexhaustible subjects for intense study. As the Cassini mission comes to a dramatic end with a fateful plunge into Saturn on Sept. 15, 2017, scientists are already dreaming of going back for further study.

Over a period of 13 years, Cassini has captured about 450,000 spectacular images within the Saturn system, providing new views of the “lord of the rings” and a plethora of iconic images. To honor the art and science of Cassini, this book was developed collaboratively by a team from NASA’s Planetary Science Division (PSD), NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL), and the Lunar and Planetary Institute (LPI). While these images represent the tip of the iceberg—each telling a story about Saturn and its mysterious moons—our hope is that the mission will inspire future artists and explorers. The sheer beauty of these images is surpassed only by the science and discoveries they represent.

This free NASA e-Book celebrates Saturn as seen through the eyes of the Cassini spacecraft.&nbsp;
Cassini: The Grand Finale
--Anonymous
replies 278Sep 16, 2017 1:25 PM +00:00
R271: Supermassive black hole discovered near heart of the Milky Way

Just super, R271!

--Anonymous
replies 279Sep 16, 2017 4:10 PM +00:00

Where does matter in a black hole go? Nowhere, because that matter is what makes a black hole, right? Just hyper condensed matter/energy.

--Anonymous
replies 280Sep 17, 2017 2:27 PM +00:00

NASA’s Curiosity Mars rover climbing toward ridge top.

astronomynow.com
--Anonymous
replies 281Sep 19, 2017 5:09 PM +00:00

The proof is out there: extragalactic origins for cosmic rays.

After nearly 50 years, researchers show the highest-energy cosmic rays have extragalactic origins.

After nearly 50 years, researchers show the highest-energy cosmic rays have extragalactic origins.
Astronomy.com
--Anonymous
replies 282Sep 25, 2017 4:26 PM +00:00

Gliese 3942b: Super-Earth Found Orbiting Nearby Star.

Offsite Link
--Anonymous
replies 283Sep 26, 2017 4:59 PM +00:00

Gravitational wave hunters bag fourth black-hole detection

By Pallab Ghosh, Science correspondent, BBC News, 6 hours ago

Scientists have detected another burst of gravitational waves coming from the merger of two black holes.

Ripples in the fabric of space-time are sensed again - this time using three different laser systems.
BBC News
--Anonymous
replies 284Sep 27, 2017 2:32 PM +00:00

New gravitational wave detection shows shape of ripples from black hole collision

For the first time, astronomers have detail on the 3D pattern of warping that occurs when black holes with masses of 31 and 25 times that of the sun collide

Hannah Devlin, Science correspondent, Wednesday 27 September 2017 17.30 BST

For the first time, astronomers have detail on the 3D pattern of warping that occurs when black holes with masses of 31 and 25 times that of the sun collide
the Guardian
--Anonymous
replies 285Sep 27, 2017 3:05 PM +00:00

Black Hole Size Comparison 2017

Stars in our Universe can get unimaginably giant, but one thing that beats them is Black Holes. In this video, we compare these magnificent objects' size wit...
YouTube
--Anonymous
replies 286Oct 3, 2017 4:09 PM +00:00

Okay, so I know black holes are the result of collapsed stars of a certain mass, but any ideas of the mass needed for some of the super-giant black holes? Or could they possibly be the result of smaller mass star which collapsed and the black hole just grew and grew?

--Anonymous
replies 287Oct 4, 2017 8:02 PM +00:00

BY the way, Dwarf Planets don't like to be called that anymore. It's politically incorrect. They want to be called LPs.

--Anonymous
replies 288Oct 4, 2017 8:28 PM +00:00

Obviously, black holes attract and absorb matter around the event horizon. If the zone were a black hole just formed is a place full of stars, planets, etc that matter will be absorbed and the black hole will grow bigger and bigger. I guess... That's why black holes at the center of galaxies are really huge because there is a lot of matter at the center...

--Anonymous
replies 289Oct 5, 2017 6:27 PM +00:00

House-sized asteroid will pass by Earth at just above satellite altitude

Nasa says there will be ‘no danger’ when the asteroid 2012 TC4 shaves past Earth at just above the altitude at which most satellites operate on Thursday

Agence France-Presse, Tuesday 10 October 2017 17.51 BST

Nasa says there will be ‘no danger’ when the asteroid 2012 TC4 shaves past Earth at just above the altitude at which most satellites operate on Thursday
the Guardian
--Anonymous
replies 290Oct 10, 2017 1:56 PM +00:00

Astronomers Say Evidence is Growing for Existence of Planet Nine.

There are now five different lines of observational evidence pointing to the existence of Planet Nine, a super-Earth-sized world about 20 times farther from the Sun than Neptune, according to Caltech planetary astrophysicist Konstantin Batygin and co-authors.

Offsite Link
--Anonymous
replies 291Oct 11, 2017 7:30 AM +00:00

Astronomers find half of the missing matter in the universe

Scientists produce indirect evidence of gaseous filaments and sheets known as Whims linking clusters of galaxies in the cosmic web

Hannah Devlin, Thursday 12 October 2017 15.38 BST

Scientists produce indirect evidence of gaseous filaments and sheets known as Whims linking clusters of galaxies in the cosmic web
the Guardian
--Anonymous
replies 292Oct 12, 2017 2:28 PM +00:00

Ok, so what’s really going on with Tabby’s Star?

There’s no shortage of ideas. Here are a few of the scenarios explored.

There’s no shortage of ideas. Here are a few of the scenarios explored.
Astronomy.com
--Anonymous
replies 293Oct 14, 2017 6:58 AM +00:00

New frontier for science as astronomers witness neutron stars colliding

Extraordinary event has been ‘seen’ for the first time, in both gravitational waves and light – ending decades-old debate about where gold comes from

Hannah Devlin, Science correspondent, Monday 16 October 2017 15.00 BST

Extraordinary event has been ‘seen’ for the first time, in both gravitational waves and light – ending decades-old debate about where gold comes from
the Guardian
--Anonymous
replies 294Oct 16, 2017 2:30 PM +00:00

Gravitational Waves Show How Fast The Universe is Expanding.

--Anonymous
replies 295Oct 20, 2017 8:58 AM +00:00

Astronomers prepare to map Milky Way, using radio telescopes to measure unprecedented distances.

A collection of radio telescopes that spans thousands of miles and is remotely operated from central New Mexico has been used to measure a span of 66,000 l
The Japan Times
--Anonymous
replies 296Oct 23, 2017 10:03 AM +00:00

Why Quasars are so Awesome.

Thanks to The Great Courses Plus for sponsoring this episode of Space Time. Try a 30 day trial of The Great Course Plus at http://ow.ly/m8ms306GoxP. Quasars ...
YouTube
--Anonymous
replies 297Oct 25, 2017 5:17 PM +00:00

Mysterious object seen speeding past sun could be 'visitor from another star system'

If its origins are confirmed, the asteroid or comet, named A/2017 U1, will be the first object known to come from elsewhere in the galaxy, say astronomers

Nicola Davis, Friday 27 October 2017 15.27 BST

Offsite Link
--Anonymous
replies 298Oct 27, 2017 1:53 PM +00:00

Finding Ceres' global ocean.

The inner solar system’s only dwarf planet likely once hosted an entire ocean, now locked away in its crust.

The inner solar system’s only dwarf planet likely once hosted an entire ocean, now locked away in its crust.
Astronomy.com
--Anonymous
replies 299Oct 30, 2017 7:08 PM +00:00

Astronomers time accelerating particles around black holes.

It takes less than an eyeblink to light up a black hole’s jet.

It takes less than an eyeblink to light up a black hole’s jet.
Astronomy.com
--Anonymous
replies 300Nov 3, 2017 7:02 AM +00:00

So, when you see images representeing a black hole the black sphere that you are seeing is actually the event horizon, the whole area of strong attraction nothing can scape from while the actual hyper consended mass is supposed to be an infinitly small point in space. Interesting and scary.

--Anonymous
replies 301Nov 5, 2017 7:53 AM +00:00

Astronomy team image one of the first massive galaxies to form, 12.8 billion years ago.

Astronomers using the Large Millimeter Telescope (LMT), which is operated jointly by the University of Massachusetts Amherst and Mexico's Instituto Nacional de Astrofísica, Óptica y Electrónica, report today in Nature Astronomy that they have detected the second most distant dusty, star-forming galaxy ever found in the universe - born in the first one billion years after the Big Bang.
phys.org
--Anonymous
replies 302Nov 6, 2017 11:27 AM +00:00

Thanks for the posts, mystery astronomer. I can’t wait to use my telescope on my new deck.

--Anonymous
replies 303Nov 6, 2017 12:22 PM +00:00

'Zombie star' amazes astronomers by surviving multiple supernovae

Star has exploded in ‘fatal’ supernovae multiple times since 1954 – and is the first star astronomers have witnessed doing so

Ian Sample, Science editor, Wednesday 8 November 2017 18.00 GMT

Star has exploded in ‘fatal’ supernovae multiple times since 1954 – and is the first star astronomers have witnessed doing so
the Guardian
--Anonymous
replies 304Nov 8, 2017 1:05 PM +00:00

Astronomers discover a giant world – but is it a planet?

A recently-discovered giant world lies right on the boundary between being a star and a planet – and that could answer some big questions

Stuart Clark, Friday 10 November 2017 14.15 GMT

A recently-discovered giant world lies right on the boundary between being a star and a planet – and that could answer some big questions
the Guardian
--Anonymous
replies 305Nov 10, 2017 2:03 PM +00:00

Hey mister astronomy, we sometimes detect planets when one passes between us and its star. The star’s light dims slightly, during this transit, and we can detect the dimming. But wouldn’t most stars have planets that don’t revolve in a way that puts the planet between their star and us? So most would not be detected this way, right?

--Anonymous
replies 306Nov 10, 2017 3:33 PM +00:00

Is there (frozen) life on Mars?

A new study finds frozen microbes could indeed survive the harsh martian climate for millions of years.

A new study finds frozen microbes could indeed survive the harsh martian climate for millions of years.
Astronomy.com
--Anonymous
replies 307Nov 11, 2017 2:46 PM +00:00

R307, this is why any astronauts to mars mustn’t come back. There’s no knowing how dangerous these Martian hitchhikers might be.

--Anonymous
replies 308Nov 11, 2017 4:18 PM +00:00

I don't think there is technology to send men to Mars anyway. It's too costly and so many things must be thought before sending a person there. The trip is like 7 months long too.

They can however, improve robots to keep sending them and receive information from them.

--Anonymous
replies 309Nov 11, 2017 4:57 PM +00:00

We have had astronauts in orbit for longer than the Mars trip, I think. But the cost would be obscene.

--Anonymous
replies 310Nov 11, 2017 5:30 PM +00:00

Powerful new robotic camera captures stunning new image of Orion nebula

First image from camera newly installed at the Palomar Observatory, California hints at the ‘treasure trove of discoveries’ to come from its survey of the skies

Ian Sample, Science editor, Tuesday 14 November 2017 17.00 GMT

First image from camera newly installed at the Palomar Observatory, California hints at the ‘treasure trove of discoveries’ to come from its survey of the skies
the Guardian
--Anonymous
replies 311Nov 14, 2017 1:24 PM +00:00

So many observatories have names in Spanish and I immediately think they're from Chile.

--Anonymous
replies 312Nov 14, 2017 1:31 PM +00:00

Potentially habitable world found just 11 light years away

Ross 128 b has been discovered effectively on our cosmic doorstep. It will become a prime target in the search for life beyond the Earth

Stuart Clark, Wednesday 15 November 2017 13.49 GMT

Ross 128 b has been discovered effectively on our cosmic doorstep. It will become a prime target in the search for life beyond the Earth
the Guardian
--Anonymous
replies 313Nov 15, 2017 2:16 PM +00:00

R312, maybe. There’s an important observatory in Chile. In the Atacama Desert, I believe. Little pollution, water vapor, or atmosphere to interfere with observation.

--Anonymous
replies 314Nov 15, 2017 3:02 PM +00:00

A massive meteorite recently lit up the sky over Lapland.

Fireball Turns Night Into Day as It Blazes Across Sky in Lapland
YouTube
--Anonymous
replies 315Nov 18, 2017 1:45 PM +00:00

They will find life on other planet before they find a cure for diabetes and hair loss.

--Anonymous
replies 316Nov 18, 2017 8:38 PM +00:00

One of the Oldest and Most Distant Objects in the Universe Has Been Discovered

A star-forming galaxy 12.8 billion light-years away offers insight into the early days of our universe after the Big Bang roughly 13.7 billion years ago.

By Elizabeth Howell, November 7, 2017, 3:54 PM EST

A star-forming galaxy 12.8 billion light-years away offers insight into the early days of our universe after the Big Bang roughly 13.7 bi...
Seeker
--Anonymous
replies 317Nov 20, 2017 8:15 PM +00:00

60 Minutes had a segment last Sunday on the Voyager space craft.

--Anonymous
replies 318Nov 21, 2017 1:38 PM +00:00

R316, I think they will find evidence of foreign life in my lifetime. I’m 57, fwiw.

--Anonymous
replies 319Nov 21, 2017 1:39 PM +00:00

Astronomers Want to Send a Probe to That Interstellar Asteroid, But There's a Catch.

It's not every day that an asteroid from outside the Solar System comes whizzing past your front door. In fact, it's only ever happened once that we've observed, when astronomers spotted interstellar asteroid 'Oumuamua in October.
ScienceAlert
--Anonymous
replies 320Nov 25, 2017 9:44 AM +00:00

First Interstellar Asteroid Wows Scientists.

Scientists were surprised and delighted to detect --for the first time-- an interstellar asteroid passing through our solar system. Additional observations b...
YouTube
--Anonymous
replies 321Nov 26, 2017 3:08 PM +00:00

Organic molecules make up half of Comet 67P.

The Rosetta spacecraft collected more than 35,000 dust grains from Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko to help determine its chemical composition.

The Rosetta spacecraft collected more than 35,000 dust grains from Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko to help determine its chemical composition.
Astronomy.com
--Anonymous
replies 322Dec 2, 2017 11:24 PM +00:00

R322, I forget what makes something “organic”. It’s carbon, plus hydrogen, but not sure if that’s all it is.

--Anonymous
replies 323Dec 3, 2017 3:48 PM +00:00

Double Supermassive Black Hole ‘Photobombs’ Andromeda Galaxy.

Offsite Link
--Anonymous
replies 324Dec 5, 2017 3:38 PM +00:00

R324 - Presenting black hole(s)

--Anonymous
replies 325Dec 5, 2017 8:08 PM +00:00

Farthest monster black hole found

2 hours ago

Astronomers have discovered the most distant "supermassive" black hole known to science.

Astronomers discover the most distant "supermassive" black hole known to science.
BBC News
--Anonymous
replies 326Dec 6, 2017 1:56 PM +00:00

Evidence for plate tectonics mounts on Europa.

Sinking ice plates could carry nutrients to the ocean below.

Sinking ice plates could carry nutrients to the ocean below.
Astronomy.com
--Anonymous
replies 327Dec 8, 2017 4:27 PM +00:00