Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Amazing footage of Graf Zeppelin over New York City in 1929

The shot of it (starting at 3:34) penetrating through the curtain of smoke provided by the airplane is incredible.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17April 20, 2024 11:42 PM

That is so cool.

by Anonymousreply 1April 20, 2024 3:13 AM

Thanks for sharing, OP. We need more things like this posted to balance out all the other crap.

How about the photographer on the beams? Balls of steel!

by Anonymousreply 2April 20, 2024 3:23 AM

The Lost Generation did the Charleston on top of flagpoles for kicks in those days. They were a steely lot.

by Anonymousreply 3April 20, 2024 3:28 AM

Thanks OP that was fun, especially the parade scene. My brother had a pet rooster named Graf after the zeppelin

by Anonymousreply 4April 20, 2024 3:29 AM

And it coincided with my 90th birthday!

by Anonymousreply 5April 20, 2024 3:30 AM

Sorry--I meant starting at 3:24, not 3:34!

Glad other people like this clip.

by Anonymousreply 6April 20, 2024 3:33 AM

Grandma was a beauty for the ages.

by Anonymousreply 7April 20, 2024 3:33 AM

I guess the Hindenberg disaster ended all interest because it revealed how vulnerable they were.

by Anonymousreply 8April 20, 2024 3:48 AM

She may have gained a few ponds, but my wife is not a blimp!

by Anonymousreply 9April 20, 2024 3:51 AM

She may have gained a few pounds, but my wife is not a blimp!

by Anonymousreply 10April 20, 2024 3:51 AM

They've invented something called the Zeppelin NT in the 1990s. It has a semi-rigid construction like the original zeppelin, but uses helium gas like blimps do; but they are much faster and more maneuverable than blimps. They're smaller than the gigantic old zeppelins, however.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11April 20, 2024 4:05 AM

R8 you guess?! Just a guess?

by Anonymousreply 12April 20, 2024 4:23 AM

Outrageous waste of helium, glad we don't use them for anything serious anymore. But yes, obviously they looked cool as hell back in their hydrogen days.

I've always found it intriguing how often they're used in TV shows and movies as a sign of being in an alternate reality where people continued their use. It's such an easy and instant signifier of something not being quite the same – just have a couple of them flying in the background in a NYC scene or wherever and you immediately know you're in a parallel reality.

by Anonymousreply 13April 20, 2024 10:52 AM

Is that the Flatiron Building at 1:54?

by Anonymousreply 14April 20, 2024 11:12 AM

Yes—flyin up lower Fifth… you can see Madison Square Park on the edge of video as well.

by Anonymousreply 15April 20, 2024 11:47 AM

“Doctor Who” frequently did just that, R13.

by Anonymousreply 16April 20, 2024 3:29 PM

Didn’t someone try to revive them in the 80s? Because they are more practical in some respects, quieter, less polluting, no runways needed, can land anywhere there’s a football field. I’d rather use helium for airships vs a million birthday balloons.

by Anonymousreply 17April 20, 2024 11:42 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!