Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful friends: lovely 1871 Italiante in Troy NY $745,000 (sorry about that one important thing)

A fantastic Italianate style brick house of 2720 square feet with 3-bedrooms and 3 baths that looks to be in great condition. The kitchen needs finishing off to taste (there is a nice ca. 1900 pantry it looks like). The detailing is handsome and well restored (though the woodwork was almost certainly painted originally.) The main rooms are very nice and the unusual glazed side porch (ca.1900) is fantastic and girded with radiators against, well, Troy. There's a large three-bay garage with tall loft space above and 8'brick walls (51'x 200' lot.)

The location though is nothing but a sinking feeling. The crime index is poor. Itś by far the most expensive old house in Troy for sale. There's a look of dread in the snaggletoothed blocks of scattered houses set amidst large gaps of green, many of which were presumably built upon at some more prosperous time.

But the house itself...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88April 25, 2024 10:35 AM

Yes, the house itself is STUNNING. Did it used to be a convent or something?

by Anonymousreply 1April 19, 2024 8:27 PM

I wish they would use a 50% less wide lens. The home has modest proportions outside then it's the volume of the Mrs. Astor's townhouse inside.

by Anonymousreply 2April 19, 2024 8:32 PM

You couldn't pay me to live in Troylet.

by Anonymousreply 3April 19, 2024 8:33 PM

Love a lot of it. AND, love the price - my 2 bed/2 bath, 1,000 sq ft condo in West Hollywood is $800,000. It's all about location

by Anonymousreply 4April 19, 2024 9:37 PM

What is Troy, NY like?

by Anonymousreply 5April 19, 2024 10:17 PM

Looking on Google Maps, the neighborhood is quite run down, but the integrity of the architecture has been preserved. It would be wonderful if you could convince 500 of your gay friends to move in.

by Anonymousreply 6April 19, 2024 10:18 PM

The house and woodwork is gorgeous. I hate the kitchen. So WHITE.

I wouldn't pay 750K to live in Troy.

by Anonymousreply 7April 19, 2024 10:21 PM

Perhaps add on a wing and rent rooms to RPI students. 5 or 6 might be a good number. Im a prof and when I retire I'm going to miss college age people so much I'm thinking of doing something like that. I wouldn't want to get all up in their business but having that energy around is very positive. You could put in a big kitchen and a dining room - rec room. Pay them for little projects or maintenance if they are interested. Keep the rent low. I lived in a commune house in one college and loved it.

by Anonymousreply 8April 19, 2024 10:48 PM

Not my style at all, but it seems nice enough.

by Anonymousreply 9April 19, 2024 10:53 PM

A NOT AT ALL creepy venture, R8.

by Anonymousreply 10April 19, 2024 10:54 PM

I recognize it COULD be creepy but I am not a creep.

by Anonymousreply 11April 19, 2024 10:57 PM

Doesn’t Troy have a famous gay bathhouse?

by Anonymousreply 12April 19, 2024 10:57 PM

I wasn’t creeped out until I got to the picture of the Mary statue on the stairs and then to the basement. Peace out.

by Anonymousreply 13April 19, 2024 11:05 PM

There are no pics of the basement.

by Anonymousreply 14April 19, 2024 11:08 PM

R1, it must have been a convent.

I love the period details. And love that carriage house. I'd convert it into a kinky playhouse!

by Anonymousreply 15April 19, 2024 11:10 PM

R3 has it right, OP. Troylet is what it's called by non-natives who've had the misfortune of acquainting themselves.

by Anonymousreply 16April 19, 2024 11:12 PM

Some of you won’t believe me but I find Troy charming. Yes, it’s a city with poverty and its attendant challenges. But I like the vibe there. It’s got a sizable pedestrian friendly downtown with good dining, nightlife, shopping. A couple of college campuses (RPI, Russell Sage) that bring positive energy to the city. I’ve spent a fair amount of time there and it feels like a city on the upswing.

That said, the particular location of the house in question is dicey, even by local standards.

by Anonymousreply 17April 19, 2024 11:17 PM

For us Flyoverstan folks, what is Troy like?

by Anonymousreply 18April 19, 2024 11:20 PM

Gritty, R18. Lots of run-down Victorian houses. Does anyone know if the Grand Union grocery is still there?

by Anonymousreply 19April 19, 2024 11:23 PM

R14 ok the dungeon then.

by Anonymousreply 20April 19, 2024 11:28 PM

R19 it sounds like a place with interesting things and people, but you need street smarts.

by Anonymousreply 21April 19, 2024 11:31 PM

This house is 3 blocks from RIP. How bad can it be? There's huge christian prep school next door in a creepy old mansard institutional building.

The lot is deep, lots of room to expand. It's too wooded, trees should come down to get more light into the front and rear garden. But perhaps keep some shade on the house.

by Anonymousreply 22April 19, 2024 11:33 PM

r19, I think all the Grand Union stores in the Capital District were gone in the late 1990s or early 2000s.

I grew up in that area and we NEVER went to Troy. My father went to college there and that was enough for him.

by Anonymousreply 23April 19, 2024 11:34 PM

R8. Put secret cams in every hot student's room. Yeah. Right.

by Anonymousreply 24April 19, 2024 11:36 PM

That's not the dungeon or the basement. It's the loft over the garage. The back garden leads to the three car building with loft above it. It's not in great shape. That is on 10th street behind the house. The house fronts 9th street.

by Anonymousreply 25April 19, 2024 11:38 PM

The house is surrounded by 8 ft brick walls.

by Anonymousreply 26April 19, 2024 11:39 PM

It’s a bit of a sketchy neighborhood but near RPI. Some gorgeous brownstones in downtown Troy and on and near Washington Park.

A lot of filming for The Gilded Age takes place there.

by Anonymousreply 27April 19, 2024 11:40 PM

R24 yeah right. Before I moved into the big shared house on my campus I lived 2 summers in a professors house. It wasn't creepy. I also did small jobs for another professor at his house. America has gotten so perverted and cautionary. My retired sister rents two efficiency apartments attached to her house to college students in her town.

by Anonymousreply 28April 19, 2024 11:41 PM

Love the style of architecture

by Anonymousreply 29April 19, 2024 11:44 PM

[quote]The house is surrounded by 8 ft brick walls.

Do you think they'll keep kittens in? I was thinking about adopting two kittens.

by Anonymousreply 30April 20, 2024 12:59 AM

OP - But wouldn't this necessitate living in Troy? That'd be a deal-breaker.

by Anonymousreply 31April 20, 2024 1:17 AM

It really needs some cozying up.

by Anonymousreply 32April 20, 2024 1:25 AM

[quote]What is Troy, NY like?

It was originally called called Erna's Mouth (aka/ shit hole) by Canadian fur trappers back in the late 1700's until it was eventually re-named Troy after Helen Lawson showed up.

by Anonymousreply 33April 20, 2024 1:51 AM

Lovely old house with masses of potential, and doesnt seem to need a great deal of work. The three car garaging is an unusual bonus for a property of this era, really good to have. We got very little of the Italianate style down under unfortunately. The kitchen is a bit white but its in keeping with the era of the house and its functional, good enough for me

R13 the Mary statue on the stairs is a bit much, indicates that this was built as a convent as R1 suggests, or something of that sort. Given its the only one I can see and its on the stairs to the basement I could live with that, and it is part of the history of the building

by Anonymousreply 34April 20, 2024 4:10 AM

I love it as well. Especially all those windows! That yellow room/area is divine. A breakfast nook to die for.

by Anonymousreply 35April 20, 2024 4:25 AM

R35- A good looking well hung masculine muscular TOP- that’s someone to die for.

by Anonymousreply 36April 20, 2024 4:31 AM

Can you walk to the bathhouse from there?

by Anonymousreply 37April 20, 2024 4:36 AM

[Quote] What is Troy, NY like?

In Troy all seems to breathe freedom and peace and to make one forget the world and its sad turmoils.

by Anonymousreply 38April 20, 2024 4:41 AM

I like it. A lot. Virtually untouched by the modern white box look.

by Anonymousreply 39April 20, 2024 5:55 AM

The town with nothing left to burn.

by Anonymousreply 40April 20, 2024 7:48 AM

The statue is on the staircase linking the main floor to the second floor. There are no pictures of the basement as far as I can make out.

by Anonymousreply 41April 20, 2024 8:23 AM

To me it looks like a townhouse without the rest of the town. It looks weird sitting there by itself,

by Anonymousreply 42April 20, 2024 9:28 AM

First tell me about NY state's laws about squatting. Will I need to spend months if not years trying to evict homeless crackheads?

by Anonymousreply 43April 20, 2024 12:03 PM

Considering the state of the grounds I'm shocked the interiors are as beautiful as they are.

by Anonymousreply 44April 20, 2024 12:42 PM

Troy is an interesting town, or at least it was back in the 60s when my evil sister was sent off to Emma Willlard school when she started 9th grade. I remember finding the architecture of Troy rather interesting the few times we visited.

by Anonymousreply 45April 20, 2024 12:44 PM

I don’t think it’s that great and I don’t think the price is compelling. Especially not for Troy.

by Anonymousreply 46April 20, 2024 1:04 PM

This needs more work, is outside of Princeton proper, and seems to be on a busy street in a somewhat commercial area. But it’s still the Princeton vicinity and you’ve got a 3 acre buffer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47April 20, 2024 1:08 PM

R47 For some reason none of the pics at your link are loading for me, so here's the Zillow listing

And you're right, that is a beautiful old home too, and has the added advantage of not having a Mary statue in the main stairwell for those that dont like that sort of thing

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48April 20, 2024 1:19 PM

Code compliance in Troy must be nonexistent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49April 20, 2024 2:25 PM

There are several obviously abandoned huge churches within blocks of that house. That's never a good sign.

by Anonymousreply 50April 20, 2024 2:34 PM

Didn’t they film The Guilded Age in Troy?

by Anonymousreply 51April 20, 2024 2:38 PM

It could be the next Hudson!

by Anonymousreply 52April 20, 2024 2:38 PM

Outside is beautiful, inside needs about $100k worth of work done

by Anonymousreply 53April 20, 2024 2:53 PM

I lived in Troy for a few years. It's a weird place -- struggling to become the next Hudson with scores of buildings just like this one: beautiful old brownstones from the late 1800s, homes that were never torn down because no one wanted to live in Troy in the last few decades. But the comeback keeps stalling as there just aren't enough jobs in the area, and with a depressed economy, booms seldom take place. And unlike Hudson, which is 1/10 the size, there are too many depressing swathes of ghettos and crime.

Still, many of the houses are truly beautiful

by Anonymousreply 54April 20, 2024 3:03 PM

Yes R51

by Anonymousreply 55April 20, 2024 4:10 PM

The color of the wood floor is completely Wrong. The darker wood should be on flooring and lighter wood on sashes and doors. It is against the natural order of the world. Ie dark grown, lighter vegetation, lighter sky.

by Anonymousreply 56April 20, 2024 7:30 PM

I really do love this house. And I don’t think it had to be a convent (have you seen any? They tend to be much larger). My theory is that whomever had the home built was likely Italian and Catholic, and they expressed their worship in how they built the house. That’s my working theory anyway, and for me, it still works because it is well done. If you put say a modern sculpture or even a Buddha in that niche with the cross, I think that might look amazing! It adds tremendous character and shows American history.

by Anonymousreply 57April 20, 2024 7:59 PM

That’s my crack den!

by Anonymousreply 58April 20, 2024 8:05 PM

Agreed, R57. I've seen thousands of houses (and >100 convents and monasteries) and nothing about this house implies it was a convent or anything other than a private house.

FFS, take out the BVM, bury her upside down in tbe back garden if you like, and scratch out the cross motif below it. Lightly sand, paint, done. Fill the niche what what pleased you, or nothing at all.

Some of you are unsettled by the oddest things in houses.

by Anonymousreply 59April 20, 2024 8:11 PM

Perhaps few have the 750K for a an old townhouse in Troy (of all places) and another 250K to put it right, so find something, anything, to reject it, to lesson the wound they will never in fact own an elegant old house.

by Anonymousreply 60April 20, 2024 8:16 PM

You could always remove the Virgin Mary statue and replace it with one of your Madame Alexander dolls.

by Anonymousreply 61April 20, 2024 8:38 PM

[quote]You could always remove the Virgin Mary statue and replace it with one of your Madame Alexander dolls.

Or, as this is known to many DLers: 'needs a total gut job...to the studs and rafters.'

by Anonymousreply 62April 20, 2024 9:06 PM

It sold in 2021 for $105k. It’s insanely overpriced for that location.

by Anonymousreply 63April 20, 2024 9:46 PM

The room with the blinds down naked me go “hmmmmm?”

by Anonymousreply 64April 20, 2024 9:52 PM

^makes, dammit

by Anonymousreply 65April 20, 2024 9:53 PM

Damn R64 / R65. Let autocorrect tell us about your search history without telling us your search history.

by Anonymousreply 66April 22, 2024 7:37 AM

R37, it’s less than half a mile. An easy ten-minute walk.

by Anonymousreply 67April 22, 2024 10:01 AM

Yea, I want to burn my leg on a radiator every time I walk through the door or try to walk up the stairs.

by Anonymousreply 68April 22, 2024 12:04 PM

[quote] My theory is that whomever had the home built was likely Italian and Catholic, and they expressed their worship in how they built the house.

Despite your use of 'whomever' when you should have used 'whoever', I agree with you that this property was never a convent.

One diminutive BVM does not a convent make.

by Anonymousreply 69April 22, 2024 2:07 PM

[quote] Didn’t they film The Guilded Age in Troy?

Despite your unfortunate spelling of 'gilded', you are correct.

The NYC scenes in 'The Gilded Age' were filmed in Troy.

As was "The Age of Innocence."

by Anonymousreply 70April 22, 2024 2:21 PM

Sorry Greg, I have indeed always struggled on that usage. :-)

Regardless (haha! I know that is correct), older minds agree, this is not how convents were set up. They usually gave cells, set up like a dorm or monastery, small adjacent rooms down a long hallway.

I’m curious about other towns on the upswing that have a solid old home inventory. Any thoughts? It could be NY or any other NE state.

by Anonymousreply 71April 22, 2024 3:23 PM

Gee, Greg. Thanks so much for correcting my spelling.

by Anonymousreply 72April 22, 2024 6:45 PM

You are very welcome, R72/ R70.

I always appreciate learning something new.

by Anonymousreply 73April 22, 2024 8:21 PM

^ sorry — You are very welcome, R72/R51.

by Anonymousreply 74April 22, 2024 8:24 PM

‘Gilded’ meaning ‘golden.’

A ‘guild’ is an association of people with similar interests.

Like an altar guild in a church.

by Anonymousreply 75April 22, 2024 8:28 PM

I am aware of the difference. It was a typo.

by Anonymousreply 76April 22, 2024 9:00 PM

Not Gerg, again…🫥

by Anonymousreply 77April 22, 2024 9:10 PM

Yes, R77.

[quote] You can see in the film that when Hamilton spins around to position herself above the elevator, the flames and smoke came before she was safely below set. She suffered second-degree burns on her face and third-degree burns on her hand. The green makeup covering her body was copper-based and toxic if absorbed, so Hamilton's burned skin had to be thoroughly cleaned with acetone.

The flames and smoke had to come before Margaret Hamilton was safely below stage.

Why? Because if they didn’t, the viewers would see see her being lowered on the elevator they used.

The flames and smoke, however, came earlier than they should have, so one can see them rising up—the smoke in particular—as though from a box, before Miss Hamilton gets to her mark.

See 4:44 in the link. One can also see her being lowered.

The timing was imprecise.

As I understand it, the take we see in the movie (this take) was the one that happened just before the final take when Miss Hamilton got burned so badly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78April 22, 2024 10:14 PM

And at 3:37 above, Miss Hamilton says, “I can cause accidents, too” and it appears as though she is about to say something else immediately, but the film cuts to Miss Burke who says, “Aren’t you forgetting the ruby slippers?”

I wonder what happened there?

by Anonymousreply 79April 22, 2024 10:23 PM

Because, because, because, because, beCAUSE

by Anonymousreply 80April 23, 2024 9:56 PM

Kitchen and baths are terrible, but I like the rest. But, the boarded up houses nearby really aren't good.

by Anonymousreply 81April 24, 2024 12:05 AM

How do you solve a problem like Maria?

by Anonymousreply 82April 24, 2024 7:11 PM

Love the exterior & all of the trees. The kitchen is spacious, but a joke. The interiors of these homes are too traditional, and bore me. If I could strike a balance between honoring the architectural & historic integrity of the home, while also making it less boring and predictable, that would be the sweet spot.

by Anonymousreply 83April 24, 2024 8:46 PM

Diane Keaton should renovate it. Does she do East Coast?

by Anonymousreply 84April 24, 2024 8:54 PM

[quote]Kitchen and baths are terrible

But aren't they always? And aren't they the things people expect to change, there being no solution that will appeal to everyone.?

The kitchen space is fine, but the cabinetry and fittings are minimal. That appeals to me because it's something I could work from and get the result I want without having to haul out a landfill worth of bad cabinetry and dated stone countertops and ugly appliances and a half-acre island.

Same with bathrooms. If they are good quality early 20thC, great, I'd try to work with what's there rather than replace it in the style of the moment that will be badly dated in 10 years.

People want to make their mark in bathrooms and kitchens above all else, and are willing to spend tons of money in doing it so that the next buyer can say "the baths and kitchen are terrible and have to go."

by Anonymousreply 85April 24, 2024 9:14 PM

Hold on a sec, this home sold for 150 grand three years ago and is now priced at just under 800 grand?

GTFOH

by Anonymousreply 86April 24, 2024 9:18 PM

[quote]Hold on a sec, this home sold for 150 grand three years ago and is now priced at just under 800 grand?

Yes, R86. Curious isn't it? Sold for $105,000 in 2021 and is now listed at $744,900. It has the look of something started well and then hurried the fuck up (the barely there kitchen and the cheap bathrooms).

The price is a real outlier in Troy, at last looking at old houses listed for sale there. For comparison, I posted a house for $799,000 in Albany (I place I would much rather live than Troy) that's a much better house and well renovated for the most part.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87April 25, 2024 10:13 AM

If I recall, Lawrenceville Road is very busy, high traffic road.

by Anonymousreply 88April 25, 2024 10:35 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!