Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

With Love, Mommie Dearest

This book is fantastic. I just finished it. Very detailed and well researched.

One of the highlights was an extensive interview with Mara Hobel, who, I was pleasantly surprised to learn, has nothing but good memories of her experience.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55May 19, 2024 7:22 PM

Some quotes from Mara about Faye

Mara Hobel remembered: "There’s one shot where they had, like, a mannequin or—I don’t know what it was. It wasn’t human and it wasn’t me! But for all the other shots it was me. They just layered my back in a thick suede or a leather and cotton, and then they put a T-shirt over me, and then my wardrobe. And then there was a comforter that she had pulled off during that tussle, and that’s where you see the hanger hitting. Although I didn’t feel the sting on my back, I could feel the thumping of the hanger on my back, but no pain. Unfortunately, my tush was not covered and she got me there once, but that’s okay, you know. It happens. The same thing happened with the scissors too."

by Anonymousreply 1May 8, 2024 1:11 AM

With her stamina and detachment, too bad she grew too fat for "The Last Days of Anne Frank."

by Anonymousreply 2May 8, 2024 1:34 AM

I wonder what Mara had to say about working on Roseanne, and how it compared to working with Faye.

by Anonymousreply 3May 8, 2024 2:41 AM

There is one revealing line of improvised dialogue in this scene referencing Joan Crawford’s own childhood that echoes the abuse she herself might have experienced. Faye, wielding the offending wire hanger, utters a mile-a-minute torrent of words:

“Your room looks like a cheap two-dollar-a-week furnished room in some two-bit backstreet town in Oklahoma!” Mara Hobel’s shrieks almost drown out the line, rendering it almost subliminal. No matter. It’s certainly there in spirit, even if inaudible. It’s the only allusion in the movie to what Joan might have experienced as a child.

by Anonymousreply 4May 8, 2024 3:15 AM

The props department was really trying to come up with these hangers because, at the time, those were thick, black wire hangers. They’re not like the wire hangers that we had in the eighties. So they tried to come up with one that was a little bit softer, and I remember the first couple of takes that we did, when she struck me with it, the whole hanger bent and curved around my back. It was very funny."

"And then they went with a standard hanger, and that’s when they decided to layer me so that they could actually strike me but it wouldn’t hurt. It would just be like a thumping."

by Anonymousreply 5May 8, 2024 3:19 AM

In the ‘wire coat hanger’ scene where Crawford goes crazy and mercilessly beats the young Christina, actress Dunaway balked. She couldn’t bring herself to carry through on the physical violence and rage. Every time Perry tried to film the scene, Faye drew back from thrashing the little girl."

"Finally, the desperate director had a form of Mara Hobel’s body made and dressed it in her pajamas. He called in Faye’s stand-in and had her beat the dummy while Mara cried and sobbed off screen. Perry was nervous about showing Faye the final result last week [in late August or early September, 1981], but the star left the screening room in a thoughtful mood. She said at last, ‘Frank, you were absolutely right. I was wrong. The scene had to be like that!’”

The idea that Faye was holding back the cruelty in the wire hangers scene seems unfathomable to viewers watching the finished movie today, yet that is indeed what happened on the set.

“It was very difficult to shoot,” Jonathan Zimbert remembered, “because Faye understood very well that that character would be seen, a hundred percent, as a monster if she were aggressively to do what was scripted. And so she held back. It was more comical [on the set] than it exists [on-screen]. And she wouldn’t do it, despite encouraging and encouraging and some more encouraging. Eventually, after she was done, there were some inserts done which look kind of hokey because the angles are a little off, but some of it’s in the movie."

“It’s the same with the Bon Ami can. She waves it around in the air. She’s supposed to clock the kid with it, but she just waves it around in the air. She shied away from painting the character so much of a monster.”

by Anonymousreply 6May 8, 2024 3:21 AM

Some other interesting revelations:

- The film is often taken more seriously in Europe, especially when dubbed into other languages.

- Frank Yablans admitted in an unpublished autobiography that he felt he could “exploit the hell” out of the book, but offered Christina a very sincere sales pitch.

- Christina’s husband kept the film’s reception from her for a while, as she was recovering from her stroke. But she lost faith very early on in production that it’d turn out to her liking.

- Mel Brooks was apparently a major factor in Anne Bancroft dropping out. He foresaw early on that actually seeing the events described in the book could come across unintentionally comedic.

- It wasn’t just the film that was popular with the gays. When the book came out, busses in gay districts were often a sea of the red book jacket.

- When shooting the scene between Joan and Greg on the beach, a $50,000 brooch fell off Dunaway’s scarf. Most of the crew skipped lunch to search the beach with metal detectors, while the guards protecting the loaned jewellery tore apart Dunaway’s trailer thinking she might’ve stolen it. The brooch was never found, likely washed out with the tide, putting the film over budget on the very first day of filming.

by Anonymousreply 7May 8, 2024 5:26 AM

I just bought the Kindle.

It was very good, though any book about this topic suffers from Faye not speaking about it. I felt a wee bit at the end it was repeating itself a bit and/or that the author was going out of his way to try to understand Faye's cuntitude and/or Joan's cuntitude.

But yes, it was otherwise well done and well researched. I read Rutanya's book but I felt like this covered some new ground.

by Anonymousreply 8May 17, 2024 4:24 AM

When shooting a fight scene between Joan and a random lover that was ultimately cut, the guy playing the part accidentally really slugged Dunaway, and some of the crew APPLAUDED him. Dunaway stormed off and the producer had to rip them new ones before she’d come back.

by Anonymousreply 9May 17, 2024 6:47 AM

Mara Hobel has nice things to say about Joan.

Diana Scarwid......does not.

by Anonymousreply 10May 18, 2024 3:33 AM

I do love that the FIRST fucking thing they say about Scarwid in this book is what EVERYONE notices......that she becomes, as I used to call her, Suddenly Southern Christina.

by Anonymousreply 11May 18, 2024 3:33 AM

Tks OP. Just ordered it. ♥

by Anonymousreply 12May 18, 2024 3:38 AM

One goof I noticed was when he described the Sunset Boulevard incident. He said she was fired in 1996 when it was actually 1994.

by Anonymousreply 13May 18, 2024 6:32 AM

It was interesting to learn that when the costumes arrived from Europe, they were tailored to Ann Bancroft’s measurements and had to be redone for Dunaway. This is said to be the reason for the slightly boxy cut of the “Barbara Please!” suit.

Goes to show just how long Bancroft was attached to the picture.

by Anonymousreply 14May 18, 2024 6:47 AM

[quote]When shooting a fight scene between Joan and a random lover that was ultimately cut, the guy playing the part accidentally really slugged Dunaway, and some of the crew APPLAUDED him.

LOVE this!

by Anonymousreply 15May 18, 2024 12:27 PM

R14 I think in this book there's a sentence saying she was attached in some way for thirteen months, and it was only as filming drew closer that she withdrew.

by Anonymousreply 16May 18, 2024 1:20 PM

When you factor in Joan’s history of being abused as a child, and the fact that child abuse was never talked about back then, there’s just no way Joan Crawford struggled to be an appropriate disciplinarian at best, or at worst, was downright cruel to her oldest two children. Add to the fact that Christina and Christopher came in and grew up during a very rough patch in Joan’s career, in an industry that was ruthless towards women, I could imagine Joan wound using her kids as punching bags. There have also been several testimonies that highlight Joan’s questionable parenting (Natalie Schafer, for one).

However, there have been testimonies from Joan’s friends and former employees, like Myrna Loy (who worked with Christina) that don’t paint Christina in a positive light. Christina also threatened her younger sister with legal action if she didn’t stop denying Christina’s allegations. And publishing Mommie Dearest after her mother’s death did Christina no favors.

I think somewhere between Joan and her oldest two children is a truth nobody will ever know.

by Anonymousreply 17May 18, 2024 2:16 PM

It’s funny how the movie thinks they;re being flattering to Joan, it rings false. The famous boardroom scene has impacted public perception of Crawford as much as wire hangers. If anything, It’s Bette Davis who’d be more likely to bellow at a boardroom of paunchy old white men. Joan’s style was to keep it calm, cordial and professional. (Allegedly) Joan typically reserved the bellowing for her maids and children.

by Anonymousreply 18May 18, 2024 2:26 PM

R10, I think you mean Faye.

by Anonymousreply 19May 18, 2024 2:32 PM

R19 Yes, you're right, sorry.

by Anonymousreply 20May 18, 2024 2:57 PM

[R17] No, Christina Crawford was absolutely making her story up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21May 18, 2024 5:02 PM

Yes, let's believe some crazed fan who was likely a closeted lesbian who couldn't come to grips with her attraction, and who worshipped her employer to the point that she would say anything to defend her. It's well documented that Faye employed fans to do secretarial work for her so that she wouldn't have to pay them.

by Anonymousreply 22May 18, 2024 5:15 PM

[R22] do you mean Joan?

I still can’t believe this is getting debated, nearly 50 years on.

by Anonymousreply 23May 18, 2024 5:19 PM

Oh jeez, I can't believe I typed Faye. Apologies.

by Anonymousreply 24May 18, 2024 5:21 PM

The director, Frank Perry, had a pretty interesting career.

by Anonymousreply 25May 18, 2024 5:24 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26May 18, 2024 5:29 PM

June Allyson talks about lunch with Joan and Christina @ 10:22

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27May 18, 2024 5:35 PM

[R26] High chairs in that era were made of highly varnished wood. A baby placed in the high chair would easily slide every which way in the seat and could fall to the floor. Later on in time manufacturers would include plastic seat restraints with the high chair to prevent the baby from sliding out of the chair. However, before manufacturers would include these restraints, people would just tie their babies in the seat. The letter, or set of instructions, indicates that the high chair had no seat restraints and Joan probably wanted to remind the Nanny to tie the baby in to prevent him from sliding out of the chair.

by Anonymousreply 28May 18, 2024 5:43 PM

r27 Looks like she's laughing so hard she wet herself. But then we all know she had "protection."

by Anonymousreply 29May 18, 2024 5:45 PM

Two things can be quite true; Joan could’ve been (and most likely was) a very bad mother, and Christina could’ve sensationalized her story for profit as retaliation.

by Anonymousreply 30May 18, 2024 5:51 PM

Why must EVERYTHING be a CONTEST?

by Anonymousreply 31May 18, 2024 6:46 PM

I really enjoyed this book and the Married with Children vs World book. Barry Diller’s temper tantrums are hilarious. Both books are implacably researched and written!

by Anonymousreply 32May 18, 2024 6:53 PM

R30, reconsider the pushiness with semicolons, please.

Could've you?

by Anonymousreply 33May 18, 2024 6:53 PM

R17's last sentence is likely the truest one anyone will write about this sad mess.

That being said, Christina's story rings very true and she has at least some witnesses to back her up. In any family situation you have multiple perspectives, but the damaged soul that Christopher became is really all the proof I'd need to realize it was true. In fact, his abuse seemed to be much harsher and deeper than Christina's - which aside from a few physical altercations was more a psychological mind fuck and the kind of abuse that comes from a parent a child can neither rely on nor trust.

by Anonymousreply 34May 18, 2024 7:07 PM

R34 Christopher definitely had some behavioral issues though; whereas Christina seemed to do just fine at boarding schools, Christopher seemed to struggle and was expelled from numerous schools.

If I had to guess Joan was especially harsh to Christopher because she thought that he needed extra discipline to address said behavioral issues. But I do agree, Christopher definitely got the brunt of Joan’s anger.

by Anonymousreply 35May 18, 2024 8:05 PM

It’s been alluded to Joan molesting Christopher. Wouldn’t be surprised.

by Anonymousreply 36May 18, 2024 8:21 PM

[quote]Christina could’ve sensationalized her story for profit as retaliation.

Christina wrote a draft of her book but when it went to the publishers it was rewritten by a ghost writer and some things thought to be too horrible were cut and other areas embellished for marketability. I wonder if we'll ever see her original manuscript as that's what we need to use to judge her motivations and honesty?

by Anonymousreply 37May 18, 2024 8:58 PM

Thanks so much for this thread. I listened to the book and loved it.

R37, I’m about halfway through an updated version Mommie Dearest that Christina released in 2018, the 49th anniversary of the original’s publication. There are a lot of added footnotes and information that was left out of the original.

by Anonymousreply 38May 18, 2024 9:58 PM

The author did interview Christina for this book. There was no talk of a ghost writer, but it was acknowledged that the manuscript was “cut in half” during initial editing. A lot of this was restored for future editions as R38 noted.

by Anonymousreply 39May 18, 2024 10:23 PM

My mother was also a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 40May 18, 2024 10:28 PM

Mrs. Chadwick, Priscilla Pointer, turns 100 today

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41May 18, 2024 10:29 PM

The twins Cathy and Cindy (both now deceased) said Joan was never abusive to them. There were, however, numerous eyewitness accounts of Joan being verbally abusive to Christina and Christopher. I don't think she hit them in front of other people, but she definitely did in private.

by Anonymousreply 42May 18, 2024 10:48 PM

Cathy and Cindy (those cunts) should have been beaten even more severely.

by Anonymousreply 43May 18, 2024 11:00 PM

Something about interviews with the twins in their later years always made me a little uneasy. They way these grown women still called Joan “Mommie”. It felt…off. But maybe I’m being too harsh.

They were clearly much more docile than Christina and Christopher. No wonder Joan got along with them better.

by Anonymousreply 44May 18, 2024 11:04 PM

Abusive parents don't always abuse all their children. I was abused; my sister wasn't. A few years back, after returning to my family for a rare visit due to a funeral. a family member asked why I never "come home" . I explained why. My sister answered that with, "They never hit me." As if that changed my circumstance. When I read people doubting Christina, I just think, "You weren't there. She was. The twins see what they chose to see. But Christina was there. You don't get to judge."

by Anonymousreply 45May 18, 2024 11:33 PM

R42 in the book Mommie Dearest Christina includes at least two instances of Joan physically abusing her and Christopher in front of an audience or assembled guests… one when press was working with Joan at the dining room table on publicity for the Best Mother award Joan had won.

by Anonymousreply 46May 18, 2024 11:40 PM

Interesting that Christina survived them all.

As Maria Riva did with her Mutti and Daddy.

by Anonymousreply 47May 18, 2024 11:43 PM

Christina is still alive at 85 and has lived in Idaho for decades.

Maria Riva is still alive at 99!

by Anonymousreply 48May 18, 2024 11:50 PM

Truman Capote once claimed he was given a tour of Casa Crawford by Christina who swanned around pointing out various objects and how much they cost.

by Anonymousreply 49May 19, 2024 3:14 AM

I’m not so much sure that the twins saw just what they might have wanted to see, as the fact that they came along into the family at a later time in Joan’s life and career, when her (and their) circumstances, and the time period, were different. This may have resulted in a different childhood-rearing experience for them.

by Anonymousreply 50May 19, 2024 5:59 AM

Plus the fact that Christina and Christopher were out of the house by the time those cunts could comprehend things.

by Anonymousreply 51May 19, 2024 6:06 AM

Vincent Sherman reported he was at Joan's house once and she shamed Christopher in front of him. Vincent said not to embarrass her child in front of people and Joan replied to not tell her how to raise her children.

by Anonymousreply 52May 19, 2024 6:07 AM

I generally believe that what christina has shared thus far is true, but I can understand why some people are inclined to believe Joan did no such, considering the vast amount of friends. family, employees, and colleagues spoke out in her defense.

by Anonymousreply 53May 19, 2024 6:06 PM

I wasn't physically abused by my mother. She was wonderful, nurturing, loving. Until my sister was born. Then, she poured all the love and attention to my sister. She had the best of everything. I didn't. Oh, I didn't wear rags or anything. But I know where I stood. To this day, people tell me how wonderful my mother was and how much she loved me. It must be nice to have that reality.

by Anonymousreply 54May 19, 2024 7:17 PM

So yeah. I can belive some of Christina's book.

by Anonymousreply 55May 19, 2024 7:22 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!