Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why are TESLA’s so fucking cheap looking and tacky?

That widescreen computer display panel ain’t the look, y’all. What an obvious attempt to cut corners and save a buck!

Just throw a $300 touchscreen panel on the dashboard and call it a day. LOL

And idiots are paying a premium for that shit!

Tesla owners, I’m embarrassed for y’all.

by Anonymousreply 82May 11, 2024 8:00 PM

I find them plain looking.

by Anonymousreply 1May 7, 2024 11:40 PM

I live in LA and the streets are lousy with Teslas. Whenever I see someone driving like an asshole, 9 times out of 10, they're in a Tesla.

by Anonymousreply 2May 7, 2024 11:47 PM

And cheaply made.

by Anonymousreply 3May 7, 2024 11:49 PM

Google working with a Tesla’s door handle.

Hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 4May 7, 2024 11:52 PM

Where I live they are mostly driven by Uber drivers - they get a monthly deal on them

by Anonymousreply 5May 7, 2024 11:58 PM

[quote] Why are TESLA’s so fucking cheap looking and tacky?

I find bad grammar even more cheap and tacky.

by Anonymousreply 6May 7, 2024 11:58 PM

I just saw my first cyber truck today, and honestly it looked better than I expected, weird - yes - but not too ugly because it was jet black instead of silver, which made it look like a sci-fi military vehicle instead of a middle aged, divorced father’s cry for help. Supposedly the interiors in the trucks are as cheap looking as those of Tesla sedans.

by Anonymousreply 7May 8, 2024 12:00 AM

[quote]Why are TESLA’s

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 8May 8, 2024 12:01 AM

I live in SF. Every other car is a fucking Tesla. It seems like virtue signaling for techbros.

by Anonymousreply 9May 8, 2024 12:04 AM

Y’all? Really?

by Anonymousreply 10May 8, 2024 12:05 AM

R10. Not OP here, but get a fucking life.

by Anonymousreply 11May 8, 2024 12:07 AM

R11 Thanks, ya’ll.

by Anonymousreply 12May 8, 2024 12:09 AM

I'm wondering how Tesla drivers are getting away with not having front license plates.

by Anonymousreply 13May 8, 2024 1:39 AM

I like them, I think they look expensive, but perhaps that’s just because I know they are.

by Anonymousreply 14May 8, 2024 1:44 AM

R13, I’ve been wondering that exact thing!

by Anonymousreply 15May 8, 2024 2:05 AM

[quote]I'm wondering how Tesla drivers are getting away with not having front license plates

Because they ruin the lines of the vehicle.

by Anonymousreply 16May 8, 2024 2:08 AM

^^ But seriously, at worst, violators get a fix-it ticket for the missing plate, but even that is unlikely, especially if you live in California. The cops don’t care.

by Anonymousreply 17May 8, 2024 2:12 AM

[quote] Because they ruin the lines of the vehicle.

Who gives a fuck?

It's against the law.

You're required to have your license plates on display on both the front and rear of the car.

No exceptions.

It's so that the cops can easiliy identify your plates from the back AND front of your car.

by Anonymousreply 18May 8, 2024 2:14 AM

Where I live only the rear plate is required.

by Anonymousreply 19May 8, 2024 2:15 AM

Um R18 I think that was a joke. I had a car that looked better without the front plate. I got away with it for two years. The whole thing with Teslas is that minimalist look. ("Google with a door handle" Perfect.)

by Anonymousreply 20May 8, 2024 2:19 AM

They are all over Long Island too. I drove my brothers and it was just okay. He loved it so much he invested everything he had in Tesla stock. Bad move.

by Anonymousreply 21May 8, 2024 2:20 AM

Nearly half of the states in the U.S don’t require a front license plate. California does, but enforcement is lax because cops are too busy dealing with the huge population here. Fix-it tickets are rare. I drove around for years with an illegal window tint and never got stopped for it until I drove to Nevada. Oops

by Anonymousreply 22May 8, 2024 2:28 AM

OP- You keep saying Y'ALL

You're not from the North are you?

by Anonymousreply 23May 8, 2024 2:34 AM

[quote]Where I live they are mostly driven by Uber drivers - they get a monthly deal on them

My last Uber was a Tesla. The driver said he loved it.

The cabin was more comfortable than I'd imagined but more in a high-tech way than in a luxurious way. The giant iPad thing would be very distracting to me if I was the driver.

by Anonymousreply 24May 8, 2024 2:36 AM

I like how they do light shows to songs you download, with the windows opening and closing and the lights flashing in time. Whimsical. But I think most people who can pay for one of the higher-priced models trend older and want a little more luxury in their daily drivers. The fact they're ubiquitous doesn't help.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25May 8, 2024 2:42 AM

“Tesla’s” ?

Jesus wept.

by Anonymousreply 26May 8, 2024 2:52 AM

Dressy Tesla Tura

Is so much more demurer

Than all them other EVs because

You gotta get a gimmick if you wanna get applause!

by Anonymousreply 27May 8, 2024 2:58 AM

"I live in LA and the streets are lousy with Teslas. Whenever I see someone driving like an asshole, 9 times out of 10, they're in a Tesla. "

The torque in even an average electric car is amazing - essentially it makes it easier to drive like an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 28May 8, 2024 6:06 AM

Ugly cars for basic people.

by Anonymousreply 29May 8, 2024 6:32 AM

OP is a shit-stirring idiot.

by Anonymousreply 30May 8, 2024 6:36 AM

OP brings up some valid points.

by Anonymousreply 31May 8, 2024 6:47 AM

R31 I can’t take anything OP says as valid until he learns how to use an apostrophe.

by Anonymousreply 32May 8, 2024 7:33 AM

Elmo is doing a pretty good job of destroying Tesla. All the good will and brand value built up over the years is going right down the shitter

by Anonymousreply 33May 8, 2024 8:54 AM

The dashboard configuration still looks like something someone put together in their home garage, on a budget.

by Anonymousreply 34May 8, 2024 9:19 AM

Tesla hates unions. Please do not buy a Tesla.

by Anonymousreply 35May 8, 2024 9:21 AM

Who the fuck is "Elmo"?

by Anonymousreply 36May 8, 2024 11:09 AM

I’ve also been seeing a fair amount of Rivians. I have seen the inside of one, but I think they look nice from the outside.

by Anonymousreply 37May 8, 2024 1:52 PM

[quote]Who the fuck is "Elmo"?

Elon Musk

by Anonymousreply 38May 8, 2024 2:02 PM

I don't like Teslas or Musk, but Teslas don't look cheap or tacky.

by Anonymousreply 39May 8, 2024 2:04 PM

They don't necessarily look super cheap to me, but they also don't give off a super high quality vibe. They're just meh.

by Anonymousreply 40May 8, 2024 2:07 PM

The lack of front grills on electric cars still makes them look weird to me - like a toy fake car.

But I live in a city, don’t drive, and rarely pay much attention to cars, so I just haven’t acclimated to the change yet.

by Anonymousreply 41May 8, 2024 2:14 PM

I think people will get used to no-grill look over time. Yeah, they still seem weird to me, but less so than before, because I see more and more.

by Anonymousreply 42May 8, 2024 2:19 PM

I drive a Model Y Performance. I previously owned a Model 3. I love both. I can hit 60 in less than 4 seconds.

The minimalist interior is one of the things I like most about it. A giant wall of crudely marked buttons is ugly. And as much as you may hate it, more automakers are moving toward putting all controls a giant main screen. Tesla was just ahead of the curve.

I don't disagree about the exterior looks being a little bland or kind of weird. But it doesn't bother me. The new Model 3 has improved that, and the Model Y will likely follow suit soon.

by Anonymousreply 43May 8, 2024 2:57 PM

Indians LOVE them. They're a shoddy and unreliable status symbol, but they've got the right brand, which is all an Indian dude in tech needs.

by Anonymousreply 44May 8, 2024 3:07 PM

[quote]ain’t the look, y’all

You’re a fucking moron, OP.

by Anonymousreply 45May 8, 2024 3:07 PM

Does one have to pay to charge them yet?

by Anonymousreply 46May 8, 2024 3:23 PM

R46 Yes, at a Tesla supercharger. Those have always cost money.

It still only costs about $10 - $15 to charge a Tesla, which is quite a bit cheaper than a tank of gas.

by Anonymousreply 47May 8, 2024 3:52 PM

Because they ARE cheap and tacky, that's why.

The build quality is terrible. The doors feel like they are made of cardboard when you close them and those stupid open buttons. I hate Teslas. I also know only from Uber experience.

by Anonymousreply 48May 8, 2024 4:08 PM

They look like bugs. Giant bugs.

by Anonymousreply 49May 8, 2024 4:12 PM

Come to think of it, in person I've only seen them in red, white, or black.

by Anonymousreply 50May 8, 2024 4:15 PM

I've seen midnight blue. I've never seen one in a light color other than white - like light gray or beige.

by Anonymousreply 51May 8, 2024 4:23 PM

The workmanship on Teslas is abysmal.

by Anonymousreply 52May 8, 2024 4:53 PM

Because Elon Musk is tacky

by Anonymousreply 53May 8, 2024 4:54 PM

I have a Tesla Y. It’s okay, not great, not awful. I’ll drive it for a few more years but won’t replace it with another Tesla.

by Anonymousreply 54May 8, 2024 5:06 PM

Teslas only come in five colors: White, black, blue, red, and grey.

They come in either white or grey for free, but if you want another color, you pay about $900 extra.

Dang fools!

by Anonymousreply 55May 8, 2024 5:07 PM

We have a Tesla Y and it’s been a mild headache since we got it. Wouldn’t get another one, so when the batteries on this one start to fade we’ll move on.

by Anonymousreply 56May 8, 2024 5:18 PM

The spelling and grammar trolls are so pathetic. It's a bullshit internet forum, not a work document or an academic dissertation. Most people under the age of 112 are typing on their phones. Get the fuck over minor errors in spelling and grammar.

by Anonymousreply 57May 8, 2024 5:23 PM

R43 - Putting all vehicle functions (operated by the driver) will create significant repair issues should any of those (climate, audio, navigation, safety/vehicle settings, heated/cooled seats, etc) fail. The technical ability of dealerships to repair a specific non-functioning feature is insufficient at this time. If your climate goes wonky then you lose that feature and repairing just that component can't be accomplished (depending on manufacturer). There are several Youtube videos about failed/malfunctioning master screens that pretty much disable the car depending on what failed. I recently bought a 2023 Honda Ridgeline which has Honda Sensing that consists of a suite of safety features that I mostly leave off due to personal preference. Once I set up the vehicle settings and audio preferences I rarely use the screen. The climate controls are just below the screen and consist of hard buttons that perform a specific function w/o having to drill down to a screen to adjust the temp or fan speed. Yes, many screen only cars allow for audible commands to adjust temp, fan speed, radio station, etc. but they are often plagued with the system not recognizing the command leading to frustration.

The minimalist look is fine from a visual standpoint but having to tussle with a screen instead of fixed buttons can lead to safety issues.

A perfect example is the new 2024 Lincoln Nautilus - it has a screen that goes across the full width of the dash displaying any/everything but is controlled by ANOTHER screen just below that! Talk about overkill.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58May 8, 2024 5:43 PM

I know one of the few people who owns a Kia K900 and it cost her $2500USD to replace the left headlight. It’s one of those headlights that turns in the direction of the steering wheel. And this car is six years old. On a Kia.

by Anonymousreply 59May 8, 2024 6:24 PM

There is almost no market for used Teslas. The people who want them tend to be those who can afford them new.

So if you own, not lease, you’ll need to be lucky.

by Anonymousreply 60May 8, 2024 6:49 PM

R58, your Ridgeline sounds more my speed. No need to touch the screen unless your preferences change. Aside from that are you happy with it? Good seating for tall guys?

by Anonymousreply 61May 8, 2024 6:52 PM

R60, one thing I do believe about Teslas is that the batteries will give out before the car does. The reason Tesla was able to successfully start up manufacturing was because there are so few moving parts, i.e. the parts that break first. I’m not sure if the exact numbers but Teslas have something like a tenth of the mechanical parts that a traditional internal combustion engine does.

This is ostensibly the reason Tesla doesn’t produce their own branded replacement parts, there is such a low demand for them.

by Anonymousreply 62May 8, 2024 7:22 PM

I think both Honda and Toyota had brief experiments with getting rid of some physical buttons on some models but brought them back quickly - things like volume knobs and HVAC controls.

by Anonymousreply 63May 8, 2024 7:40 PM

R58 - My 2023 Ridgeline (RTL-E) is a replacement for a 2014 Ford F-150 (King Ranch) that was totaled due to an unexpected mishap. I chose the RL over the other mid-size trucks (Toyota Tacoma, Nissan Frontier, Ford Ranger) due to it's larger interior, more features and overall far superior ride/handling. Got a 2023 in mid-January and after the test drive I knew the RL was the right choice. I got a good deal on the vehicle and 0.9% financing for 3 years on balance after 30K down payment.

I'm 6'2" tall and the RL has plenty of room and the seat is very comfortable. Mine is the up level RTL-E with all features (dual power seats, moonroof, leather, premium sound, etc.). The RTL-E was discontinued for 2024 MY and the Trailsport replaced it w/most of the features of the one I got except for the premium sound. The Honda Sensing consists of about 8 different 'safety' components that may have some value depending on how much and where you drive. This is my first vehicle with all that kinda stuff and I find some of it (especially the CMBS (collision mitigation braking system) to be annoying. Eyes on the road hands on the wheel!

The ride is truly sublime - very smooth and quiet over most road surfaces and the 3.5 V6 has got some serious onions when pressed. I'm getting an average of 24.5 mpg which is nearly 7mpg over my dearly departed King Ranch.

As you may know, the Ridgeline is based off the previous generation Pilot which is why some don't classify the RL as a 'real' truck. I consider it a very capable vehicle that has some truck-like capabilities with a great ride and handling. One really neat feature is the in-bed trunk that can hold quite a bit of stuff or loot if you are a Costco shopper.

Not sure what type of vehicle you are considering but if you want but the RL offers a lot. Attached image is similar to mine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64May 8, 2024 7:55 PM

Thanks r64 / Icky

We're both about your height and we need a pickup for much needed work on our old summer cabin. We also need a backseat to occasionally accommodate relatives (mostly his mother). He had a 2017? Ford F350 but it was a true lemon. It was destroyed by a city bus while parked downtown.

by Anonymousreply 65May 8, 2024 8:08 PM

R62 backwards. The car will probably fall apart before the batteries die.

by Anonymousreply 66May 8, 2024 8:11 PM

Forgot to add, he rejoiced when it was totalled.

by Anonymousreply 67May 8, 2024 8:13 PM

R65 - You are welcome. My 2014 F-150 was a super nice truck and in excellent shape w/ultra low miles. I had no intention or plans to replace it but life happens so it was the Rldgeline. I can only wonder how difficult it would be to pilot an F-350 which is super heavy-duty and much bigger than my old truck. The RL has a very spacious back seat (for it's class) so 2-3 adults could fit if not too tall. The transmission is a 9-speed with push buttons instead of a traditional shifter which I like although some people don't based on the Honda forum I frequent. I live in a rural, off-road area and I need the capability of 4WD/AWD should snow hamper mobility. The RL has one of the best AWD systems which is one of many reasons I chose it. Good luck with whatever you decide on for trips to the old Summer cabin.

Oh yeah - about Tesla. The only one I liked (style wise) was the model 'S'. The others (X, Y, 3) look like blobs with a nondescript appearance bordering on anonymous. If you want an electric vehicle and need to make a statement LUCID is the only game in town.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68May 8, 2024 9:07 PM

Thank Icky

by Anonymousreply 69May 8, 2024 11:59 PM

[quote] The spelling and grammar trolls are so pathetic

Functional literacy is important for the whole of society, online and off.

by Anonymousreply 70May 9, 2024 12:57 AM

Get fucked r70. You all come off like prissy schoolmarms.

by Anonymousreply 71May 9, 2024 1:06 AM

So very prissy.

by Anonymousreply 72May 9, 2024 1:53 AM

The first time i saw the truck i hated it, the second time , i fell in love

by Anonymousreply 73May 9, 2024 2:40 AM

The CyberTruck says a lot about the owner, none of it good and none related to brains or dick.

by Anonymousreply 74May 9, 2024 8:04 PM

R57 - Since they don't have enough brains to spare and their dick could be mistaken for a Vienna Sausage the roll around in a 'Look At Me' Siphon Truck that is a mere bauble that will loose it's shine in quick order - especially if they don't get the attention they seek. There is a Youtube channel 'Hoovies Garage' where he bought one of the trucks - and it's rusting already! Of course Elmo is scheming up another unnecessary idea to get more of their money.

by Anonymousreply 75May 9, 2024 9:50 PM

That's what the targeted demographic likes.

by Anonymousreply 76May 9, 2024 11:04 PM

[quote]one thing I do believe about Teslas is that the batteries will give out before the car does.

My brother's Tesla is only a couple years old and the battery died. It's covered under warranty but if it wasn't it would be $20K.

by Anonymousreply 77May 9, 2024 11:16 PM

The CyberTruck isn’t selling, so it’s not what the demo wants.

by Anonymousreply 78May 10, 2024 10:12 AM

You just know the CyberTruck is something that Musk himself dreamed up on the back of some envelope.

by Anonymousreply 79May 11, 2024 3:00 AM

Because Elon is cheap and tacky

by Anonymousreply 80May 11, 2024 3:06 AM

The Cybertruck seems...pointless.

by Anonymousreply 81May 11, 2024 6:30 PM

CyberTruck is something Elon dreamed up while high on ketamine.

by Anonymousreply 82May 11, 2024 8:00 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!