Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Lusitania sank 109 years ago today!

In May 1915 the Cunard ocean liner RMS Lusitania was steaming off the Irish coast when she was attacked by a German submarine. The ensuing chain of events led to the ship's loss and a horrifying final plunge that saw hundreds of people fighting for their very lives. In today's episode we'll bear witness to Lusitania's last minutes and see how her passengers survived or perished in the span of mere minutes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19May 8, 2024 4:15 PM

I Love Lusitania.

by Anonymousreply 1May 7, 2024 10:31 PM

Op are you a survivor?

by Anonymousreply 2May 7, 2024 10:36 PM

Turns out she was carrying some war materiel, so were the Germans justified?

by Anonymousreply 3May 7, 2024 10:51 PM

When the Lusitania was torpedoed by a U-boat off the southwest coast of Ireland during the Great War, twelve hundred men, women and children lost their lives. And among them, Father.

by Anonymousreply 4May 7, 2024 10:52 PM

I'm sure some DLers were on it that post here, and still don't look a day over 35.

Crank up the Victrola and let's sing Abide with Me in memoriam!

by Anonymousreply 5May 7, 2024 10:55 PM

we know maxx.

by Anonymousreply 6May 8, 2024 12:09 AM

I was celebrating my 75th birthday!

by Anonymousreply 7May 8, 2024 12:12 AM

DL fave Luise Rainer was actually alive then.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8May 8, 2024 5:08 AM

Was dewy ingenue Catherine Zeta-Jones on board?

by Anonymousreply 9May 8, 2024 5:13 AM

Thank God I survived.

by Anonymousreply 10May 8, 2024 5:14 AM

^But the 90 million men that you were to give an STD after surviving this feel much differently.

by Anonymousreply 11May 8, 2024 7:31 AM

What's so special about 109?

by Anonymousreply 12May 8, 2024 7:50 AM

[quote] so were the Germans justified?

Absolutely so. The civilian passengers were used by the Brits as human shields to sneak the munitions aboard into the UK. The last I saw on the subject the wreck was still off-limits for divers under orders from the Royall Navy.

Additionally Lusitania's construction was subsidized by the Admiralty on condition it be designed and built to serve as an auxiliary warship for the Navy.

The Germans gave potential passengers fair warning but were ignored.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13May 8, 2024 9:55 AM

The funny thing – well, I don't know if funny is the right word – is that the Germans stopped their policy of unrestricted naval warfare after the Lusitania outrage. And resumed it again after six months because they really had no other choice.

People sometimes imagine this event is what caused the Americans to enter the war the very next day, but that wasn't the case. It did help shift the American public opinion against Germany, though.

by Anonymousreply 14May 8, 2024 10:30 AM

Only on DL would someone beat me to that, R4. Nice.

by Anonymousreply 15May 8, 2024 10:40 AM

In 1918 there was a brilliant piece of Hate-the-Hun propaganda produced about the sinking. I can just imagine audiences of the day weeping as they watched the cartoon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16May 8, 2024 1:28 PM

Animated Cartoons!

by Anonymousreply 17May 8, 2024 1:33 PM

Loose taint yeah

by Anonymousreply 18May 8, 2024 2:04 PM

I’m listening to a historical novel called THE GLASS OCEAN about the sinking of the Lusitania on Audible right now. It’s one of those novels written by three women, each taking the point of view of a different character, a rich married woman on the boat (Rose), a jewel thief in second class (Jack) and a modern day descendant of a survivor (Bill Paxton).

by Anonymousreply 19May 8, 2024 4:15 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!