Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Boy Scouts of America changing name to 'more inclusive' Scouting America

The Boy Scouts of America is changing its name for the first time in its 114-year history and will become Scouting America. It's a significant shift as the organization emerges from bankruptcy following a flood of sexual abuse claims and seeks to focus on inclusion.

The organization steeped in tradition has made seismic changes after decades of turmoil, from finally allowing gay youth to welcoming girls throughout its ranks. With an eye on increasing flagging membership numbers, the Irving, Texas-based organization announced the name change Tuesday at its annual meeting in Florida.

"In the next 100 years we want any youth in America to feel very, very welcome to come into our programs," Roger Krone, who took over last fall as president and chief executive officer, said in an interview before the announcement.

The organization began allowing gay youth in 2013 and ended a blanket ban on gay adult leaders in 2015. In 2017, it made the historic announcement that girls would be accepted as Cub Scouts as of 2018 and into the flagship Boy Scout program – renamed Scouts BSA – in 2019.

There were nearly 1,000 young women in the inaugural class of female Eagle Scouts in 2021, including Selby Chipman. The all-girls troop she was a founding member of in her hometown of Oak Ridge, North Carolina, has grown from five girls to nearly 50, and she thinks the name change will encourage even more girls to realize they can join.

"Girls were like: 'You can join Boy Scouts of America?'" said Chipman, now a 20-year-old college student and assistant scoutmaster of her troop.

Within days of the announcement that girls would be allowed, Bob Brady went to work. A father of two girls and a proud Eagle Scout himself, the New Jersey attorney eagerly formed an all-girls troop. At their first weekend gathering with other troops, the boys were happy to have the girls involved but some adult leaders seemed concerned, he recalled. Their worries seemed to melt away as soon as the girls led a traditional cheer around the campfire.

"You could see a change in the attitude of some of the doubters who weren't sure and they realized, wait, these kids are exactly the same, they just happen to have ponytails," said Brady. His daughters are among the 13 girls in his troop and 6,000 girls nationwide who have achieved the vaunted Eagle Scout rank.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36May 8, 2024 4:57 PM

Aunque vista de seda, mona se queda...

by Anonymousreply 1May 7, 2024 9:04 PM

I’m sure I’ll be lambasted, but can NOTHING be just for boys or just for girls anymore? I’m liberal, but the political correctness is maddening.

by Anonymousreply 2May 7, 2024 9:04 PM

That's... actually not a bad name.

by Anonymousreply 3May 7, 2024 9:06 PM

One time, at Scout camp...

"A review of the cameras’ recorded footage showed numerous individuals in the state of both dress and undress while some performed sexual acts. Five juveniles and one adult were identified and three juvenile males have yet to be identified."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4May 7, 2024 9:06 PM

They should try to have more LGBT inclusiveness in the older ranks. There are more than a few scouts who enjoy the activities but maybe don’t always feel the most welcome.

by Anonymousreply 5May 7, 2024 9:08 PM

r2 I don't know why it should be in this case. Scouts have always been gender-neutral in my small conservative country. And run by the Catholics, at that. It's an American peculiarity that this was separate, like you're Iran or something.

by Anonymousreply 6May 7, 2024 9:08 PM

I'm glad girls was allowed. When I was a girl, I was so jealous that boys were learning life skills and going camping, but I was just making macaroni crafts with the brownies.

by Anonymousreply 7May 7, 2024 9:10 PM

R6 Where are you from ?

by Anonymousreply 8May 7, 2024 9:18 PM

Why do Boy Scouts need to be inclusive of girls?

Isn't there already a Girl Scouts?

Or is that just the name of a cookie brand?

by Anonymousreply 9May 7, 2024 9:19 PM

Yeah, what will happen to the cookies?

by Anonymousreply 10May 7, 2024 9:22 PM

R2 I would agree with you R2 except that it’s more about survival than political correctness. Scouting was dying . It became uncool and lost its relevancy. Including girls will get the numbers up and also keep the program strong and relevant. Back in the day there were cub scouts and Boy Scouts, and Brownies and Girl Scouts. I remember those days fondly, but times have changed and scouting has to change with it. I believe in scouting and the it’s potential to bring cohesiveness to our youth is tremendous. This fills me with such joy.

by Anonymousreply 11May 7, 2024 9:26 PM

So does this mean the Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts will merge into one - Scouting America ?

by Anonymousreply 12May 7, 2024 9:44 PM

[quote] as the organization emerges from bankruptcy following a flood of sexual abuse claims and seeks to focus on inclusion.

That business plan is fucking hilarious "yeah forget all the child rape we let girls in now".

by Anonymousreply 13May 7, 2024 9:49 PM

I've always like the concept of Boys Scouts although the reality is very different from that concept.

It's funny that calling someone a "boy scout" is the byword for a goodie-goodie guy, but some of the shittiest people I've ever met had been Eagle Scouts as teens.

by Anonymousreply 14May 7, 2024 9:55 PM

My brother was an Indian Scout. Doubtless disbanded now due to PC issues.

by Anonymousreply 15May 7, 2024 9:58 PM

Indian Guide, not scout.

by Anonymousreply 16May 7, 2024 10:00 PM

I was a Girl Scout until I was a freshman in high school. But scouting was just like every other organization divided by gender: the boys got everything, and the girls got nothing. Boy Scouts had the great camps, a zillion badges, all kinds of award ceremonies... Girl Scouts had very few activities compared to what the boys had, and got none of the respect. When, as an adult (reading college applications) I found out how simple it was to become an Eagle Scout, I couldn't believe what a fuss was made over it. But anything the male of the species does is automatically more important than what females do.

I wouldn't have wanted to be the only girl in a Boy Scout troop. But the all-girl troops are great. Bravo!

by Anonymousreply 17May 7, 2024 10:13 PM

What was "Campfire Girls"

by Anonymousreply 18May 7, 2024 10:27 PM

R11, thanks for making your point without just attacking me. I do believe you’re right. I still find it frustrating.

by Anonymousreply 19May 7, 2024 10:34 PM

Everything R11 said may be true but this will be red meat to the GetOff My Lawn crowd

by Anonymousreply 20May 7, 2024 10:58 PM

I grew up in the 70s and 80s and in my area scouting was for dorks

by Anonymousreply 21May 7, 2024 11:00 PM

[quote][R2] I would agree with you [R2] except that it’s more about survival than political correctness. Scouting was dying . It became uncool and lost its relevancy. Including girls will get the numbers up and also keep the program strong and relevant.

Boy Scouts were still doing pretty well in the 2000s.

Then they began letting in LGBT in the early 2010s, which caused attendance to drop.

Then they started letting in girls in the late 2010s and changed their name to Scouts USA, which deterred more people.

And now in 2024 it's Scouting America (for Snowflakes), which I'm sure won't go over well, either.

It's only a matter of time before the whole thing collapses.

Boy Scouts was never meant for girls or softies.

So you see, the iconoclastic 'wokes' have taken another cherished American male tradition and destroyed it.

by Anonymousreply 22May 8, 2024 12:28 AM

Boy Scouts Of America changing name to Girl Scouts of America

by Anonymousreply 23May 8, 2024 12:45 AM

If girls want the experience, let 'em have it. But truth be told, I'm grateful I earned Eagle and got out decades ago. For better and worse, it will never be the same again, and hasn't been since at least the early 2000s.

by Anonymousreply 24May 8, 2024 1:00 AM

Ah Boy Scouts, where I saw several of my first penises.

From hairy moustachiod Mr. Boucher changing behind a tent to Steve Siegel, who dug a hole in the ground to fuck, near his cabin. One of my cabin mates came running over and said, "It's big, like a man's!" and urged me to go watch Steve pound a mound of dirt.

by Anonymousreply 25May 8, 2024 1:32 AM

Meh I'd rather be a Campfire Girl.

by Anonymousreply 26May 8, 2024 2:03 AM

They'll be defunct in five years.

by Anonymousreply 27May 8, 2024 3:50 AM

R25, I smell a reboot!

by Anonymousreply 28May 8, 2024 4:32 AM

So I guess I have to save the DL once again...

"More importantly what will this change mean for Troop Beverly Hills?"

A reboot perhaps?

by Anonymousreply 29May 8, 2024 8:15 AM

“Cruising America” would be a more accurate moniker.

by Anonymousreply 30May 8, 2024 8:54 AM

Hopefully having girls present will deter the creepy predators so often found applying to be Scout leaders.

by Anonymousreply 31May 8, 2024 9:12 AM

[quote]Boy Scouts was never meant for girls or softies. So you see, the iconoclastic 'wokes' have taken another cherished American male tradition and destroyed it.

Says R22, brandishing his appliquéd sash!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32May 8, 2024 9:43 AM

What has really destroyed scouting (and so many other things) is phone and device addiction.

by Anonymousreply 33May 8, 2024 10:37 AM

It's pedo central, stop it all.

by Anonymousreply 34May 8, 2024 4:20 PM

Everything gets ruined.

by Anonymousreply 35May 8, 2024 4:34 PM

I forced by my father to participate in Boy Scouts for 3 horrible years. Honestly, it was like a Hitler Youth group staffed not by pedophiles (which I might not have minded if they'd been younger and better looking) but middle-aged to old men who were on a Power Trip, obsessed with their chainsaws, and were only able to play out their fantasies by trying to boss children around because all the adults knew what blowhards they were.

by Anonymousreply 36May 8, 2024 4:57 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!