Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Marlon Wayans: "I never got married, because I never wanted my mother to be jealous"

Marlon Wayans shares how he was able to turn his grief into the premise for his fourth special.

Wayans, 51, shared in an interview with The New York Times that his upcoming special, Good Grief, “rescued [him] from depression by learning to laugh in [his] worst circumstances.”

Throughout the interview, Wayans notes that he’s lost nearly 60 loved ones, including his parents, Howell Stouten, who died at 86 in early April 2023, and Elvira Alethia, who died at 81 in July 2020.

"I lost 58 people that I loved in a matter of three years. It felt, like, biblical," the comedian shared. "I think as a comedian, I’m getting to the good stuff.”

"When you talk about real-life pain, like parents passing, and you can get through that set and you can still be irreverent, edgy, crazy, silly, thought-provoking, and vulnerable, I think that’s growth."

“I miss my parents dearly, but I’m a different human with my parents gone than I was when they were here. Now I’m a man. I don’t have parents anymore, so I live differently. I understand the quality of life,” Wayans said, adding, “I pray more, because when I pray I feel like I’m speaking to my parents and that they’re listening. I let them know what’s going on.”

He revealed that the death of his mother “broke” and "shattered [him] into a million pieces," adding, "That was my girl."

"I never got married, because I never wanted my mother to be jealous of a woman. I never wanted my mother to feel second to any woman.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13May 7, 2024 9:08 PM

How disturbing. He sounds gay.

by Anonymousreply 1May 7, 2024 5:24 PM

Sure, Jan

by Anonymousreply 2May 7, 2024 5:25 PM

He has gay face for days. Well, actually most of the Wayans do.

by Anonymousreply 3May 7, 2024 5:27 PM

58 people? I feel like I must have the smallest family, friends and co-workers circle on the entire planet.

I don't think I could actually say I know 58 people well enough to feel like I actually have some sort of semblance of a relationship with them and would mourn if they died.

by Anonymousreply 4May 7, 2024 5:31 PM

Not wanting mom to be jealous is the new "dating a girl in Europe" for closet cases.

With all those kids, one of them has got to be gay.

I think Marlon's the one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5May 7, 2024 5:43 PM

Is Marlon going for the gay black cowboy look?

I love his comment: "Howdy🤠 no backs broken here…"

Sure, Jan!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6May 7, 2024 5:50 PM

Sorry for overuse of "actually" at r4.

by Anonymousreply 7May 7, 2024 6:14 PM

I think a lot of dysfunctional men feel like that about their mothers. My aunt had three boys. None of them ever married. They just hung around their economically depressed hometown, worked shitty jobs, and dated one shank after another. But they were at their mom’s house every night for dinner (usually they were actually living with mom. )

Mom was happy as could be with this arrangement and never seemed to worry what would happen to “the boys” when she died.

They’re now in their 50s, still acting like they are 19 years old. They only hang out with each other. But they seem happy.

by Anonymousreply 8May 7, 2024 6:25 PM

[quote] I think a lot of dysfunctional men feel like that about their mothers. My aunt had three boys. None of them ever married. They just hung around their economically depressed hometown, worked shitty jobs, and dated one shank after another. But they were at their mom’s house every night for dinner (usually they were actually living with mom. )

True, R8.

But I'll bet none of them can serve body and eyebrows like Miss Marlon!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9May 7, 2024 6:31 PM

R9 that man ain't straight.

by Anonymousreply 10May 7, 2024 6:34 PM

Marlon has a few photos of himself with his good looking "trainer."

Or at least I think that's his trainer.

I'm guessing Marlon is banging him, though.

They seem to be more than just friends.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11May 7, 2024 6:36 PM

Uh, huh.

by Anonymousreply 12May 7, 2024 7:43 PM

Motherfucker!

by Anonymousreply 13May 7, 2024 9:08 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!