Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Painting of vulva by French artist Gustave Courbet sprayed with ‘MeToo’ graffiti in Paris

Performance artist Deborah de Robertis says she organised the stunt, after which two people were arrested

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10May 7, 2024 5:06 PM

Chop her motherfucking hands off.

And the same for anybody else who does the same.

by Anonymousreply 1May 7, 2024 3:03 PM

My pussy stinks!

by Anonymousreply 2May 7, 2024 3:05 PM

It’s a genuine publicity stunt because the French version of “Me Too” is something about outing pigs.

by Anonymousreply 3May 7, 2024 3:29 PM

[quote]Performance artist Deborah de Robertis says she organised the stunt, after which two people were arrested

This is disgusting and appalling. Some "performance artist" who shouldn't be trusted to clean Courbet's brushes decides to destroy someone else's art.

The penalty for the wilful damage or destruction of historically significant art pieces (i.e., any artist on display in Musee d’Orsay or othere major museum) should be 5-10x the appraised value, plus cost of restoration and 2 years probation during which if they engage in any criminal activity, they are jailed for 2-5 years.

by Anonymousreply 4May 7, 2024 3:32 PM

I love how newspapers still won't show the painting....

by Anonymousreply 5May 7, 2024 3:38 PM

Facebook banned it under its "no nudity" policy, leading to a long court battle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6May 7, 2024 3:54 PM

Not to worry controversy is great for art. It was free advertising for the gallery.

by Anonymousreply 7May 7, 2024 4:02 PM

[quote]Not to worry controversy is great for art. It was free advertising for the gallery.

I know whenever art features in the news it's popular for people to offer up a dumbass cynical observation about celebrity culture (as a substitute for art knowledge), but it wasn't some gallery stunt to garner visitors for a private art gallery. It was exhibited at the Centre Pompidou (Musée National d'Art Moderne), the 19th most visited art museum in the world in 2023, and not in a race to win anything or sell anything.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8May 7, 2024 4:48 PM

Can someone tell her she's several years late to this, even by French standards?

by Anonymousreply 9May 7, 2024 4:49 PM

Of course Lacan owned it. All this story is missing is Julia Kristeva and the Guerrilla Girls.

Having seen the painting at the Musee D’Orsay back in ‘99 I can attest it is an eye popping work.

by Anonymousreply 10May 7, 2024 5:06 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!