Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Lupine

Has anyone out here ever grown lupine from seed?

If so, I’d love to hear all about it.

I love Lupine but I went to the nursery yesterday and they were pretty expensive and I’d like to have about 60 in my perennial garden.

I know that I’ll have to wait a year, but this is the right time to be planning next year’s gardens.

Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 6May 7, 2024 4:38 PM

You will need to check with Dennis Moore

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1May 7, 2024 2:59 PM

Mine died

by Anonymousreply 2May 7, 2024 3:01 PM

Are going to give them to the poor, Greg?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3May 7, 2024 3:02 PM

Depends on where you live, Greg, and the variety of lupine.

My sister is a award-winning landscaping guru who created and maintains the flower beds at our Dad's home in Louisiana. She lives in TX where lupine is popular (thanks, Lady Bird!), and schleps them from her local plant stores to plant at the old homestead.

For our beds, which are only 1/8 the size of hers, she experiments with types-- she rotates varieties year to year; this year it's the "true" Bluebonnet (seen @pics), and next year she'll install the more showy "grape cluster" lupine.

They grow really well in-ground in Zones 7-9, and can naturalize in untended spaces. Zones 1-6 they're more annual in-ground, but do very well and are absolutely gorgeous in containers.

They look amazing in any setting, but I really like them in a more naturalistic garden like ours, versus Sister's more formal, Versailles-esque gardens at her home.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4May 7, 2024 4:19 PM

Not to be confused with Lu Pone

by Anonymousreply 5May 7, 2024 4:21 PM

Poor Michael Palin - his wife died last year after almost 60 years of marriage.

He’s the only member of Monty Python to be a “Sir.” John Cleese was offered a CBE and a peerage, which he turned down. Eric Idle won’t be given one because nobody likes him.

by Anonymousreply 6May 7, 2024 4:38 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!