Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why did Vivian Vance’s career go down the shitter?

She had a winning smile and a lovely bustline.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25May 11, 2024 3:54 AM

Drugs, sex and the hootchie-cootchie

by Anonymousreply 1May 7, 2024 12:00 PM

She refused to deep throat William Frawley.

by Anonymousreply 2May 7, 2024 12:02 PM

The delivery in OP's clip is straight Ethel Mertz.

by Anonymousreply 3May 7, 2024 12:08 PM

She only made two films in the 1950s, both before I Love Lucy premiered.

by Anonymousreply 4May 7, 2024 12:48 PM

[quote]She only made two films in the 1950s, both before I Love Lucy premiered.

I Love Lucy premiered in 1951, so two films in one year ain’t bad. And she was acting in The Voice of the Turtle when Desi discovered her.

by Anonymousreply 5May 7, 2024 1:02 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6May 7, 2024 1:18 PM

[quote]And she was acting in The Voice of the Turtle when Desi discovered her.

Summer stock, surely.

by Anonymousreply 7May 7, 2024 1:21 PM

Because she fell into the toilette and drowned.

by Anonymousreply 8May 7, 2024 2:20 PM

[quote]Summer stock, surely.

A girl’s gotta eat.

by Anonymousreply 9May 7, 2024 5:44 PM

Apparently, r9.

by Anonymousreply 10May 7, 2024 5:54 PM

I mean, she's the undisputed queen of you queens, so can we really say her career fizzled? She gets name-dropped on here twice a day, and this is decades after her death and sparsely-attended memorial service.

by Anonymousreply 11May 7, 2024 5:56 PM

After "The Lucy Show," she really wanted to show her stuff by playing Racine's Andromaque at the Comédie-Française, but alas it never came off.

by Anonymousreply 12May 7, 2024 6:00 PM

She had a face and hairdo made for radio.

by Anonymousreply 13May 7, 2024 6:03 PM

I'm sorry your mother looks like a weasel

by Anonymousreply 14May 7, 2024 6:09 PM

She used too much teeth when giving blow jobs.

by Anonymousreply 15May 7, 2024 8:22 PM

Wasn't she fired during rehearsals for the original Don't Drink the Water? Gary should have talked her out of it.

by Anonymousreply 16May 7, 2024 8:52 PM

It didn't go down the shitter. She costarred on the biggest sitcom of all time. Nothing was ever going to top that.

by Anonymousreply 17May 7, 2024 8:58 PM

[quote]Nothing was ever going to top that.

She was on Rhoda.

by Anonymousreply 18May 7, 2024 9:11 PM

She made really good coffee.

by Anonymousreply 19May 7, 2024 9:19 PM

It was hard for costume designers to work with that massive potamus.

by Anonymousreply 20May 7, 2024 10:49 PM

Courtesy ChatGPT:

Vivian Vance, best known for her role as Ethel Mertz on the classic TV sitcom "I Love Lucy," didn't necessarily see her career go "down the shitter," as you put it, but she did face challenges and fluctuations in her career trajectory.

After "I Love Lucy," Vance continued to work in television, theater, and film, but she struggled to escape the typecasting associated with her iconic role as Ethel. This typecasting limited the range of roles she was offered and may have contributed to periods where her career seemed less prominent.

However, Vance did have successes outside of "I Love Lucy." She won an Emmy Award for her performance in the television series "The Lucy Show," where she played a different character, Vivian Bagley. She also appeared in various stage productions and continued to work in television and film throughout her career.

Overall, while Vance faced challenges in her career, she remained a respected and beloved figure in the entertainment industry.

by Anonymousreply 21May 11, 2024 12:33 AM

Let's let Ms. Trumble get a load of us.

by Anonymousreply 22May 11, 2024 3:41 AM

For reasons well known to her. Chiefly among them was that she corrupted the morals of the youth by attempting to infuse that vulgar jazz music into pure operetta.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23May 11, 2024 3:45 AM

MY SONG!

by Anonymousreply 24May 11, 2024 3:54 AM

She had a career.

And then she DIED.

by Anonymousreply 25May 11, 2024 3:54 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!