Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

San Francisco woman convicted of stealing $60K of goods from Target with self-checkout scam

SAN FRANCISCO (KRON) – A San Francisco woman was convicted Friday of stealing more than $60,000 worth of merchandise from a Target store by pretending to pay for the items at self-checkout machines, the San Francisco District Attorney’s Office said.

Aziza Graves, 43, now faces up to three years in prison.

The district attorney’s office said Graves had been accused of stealing from a single Target location at the city’s Stonestown Galleria “dozens” of times between Oct 3, 2020, and Nov. 16, 2021. Her scam allegedly involved bringing items to the self-checkout, scanning them, and then inserting “a single coin or bill” into the machine before leaving, the DA’s office said.

The total value of the stolen goods amounted to over $60,000, authorities said.

Officers with the San Francisco Police Department said they watched Graves leave Target twice after carrying out her scheme. She was later seen selling the stolen goods at the city’s UN Plaza.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49May 13, 2024 11:29 PM

Mr. T herself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1May 7, 2024 9:10 AM

While the blame is mostly on the thief, surely Target has to take some responsibility for making it possible in the first place. Don't they have staff near the self checkouts to detect this kind of fraud more quickly?

Also, higher value items usually have security tags on them that need to be removed by staff when you pay.

by Anonymousreply 2May 7, 2024 9:21 AM

I agree with R2 about Target's lack of oversight. .. If you don't pay the full amount with cash or a valid credit/debit card, then the machine doesn't give you a receipt. Plus, the machine doesn't clear itself for the next customer until the transaction is complete.

The places where I use self-checkout all have a courtesy clerk standing there watching for this. Plus, you're on camera. The check-out at Walmart makes sure to show you that by putting your image on screen at the start. They also still have a person at the exit doing a quick comparison of your receipt, including the date on it, to what you have in your cart.

by Anonymousreply 3May 7, 2024 9:36 AM

Maybe they should hire actual cashiers who will scan your items and receive your payment?

by Anonymousreply 4May 7, 2024 11:26 AM

The pro criminal DA ignored her case as long as possible until he acted under pressure of his pending recall election; and then a pro criminal judge tried to protect her with his own version of a plea bargain.

Judge Brendan Conroy offered Graves a plea deal, reducing the 138 counts down to a single grand theft felony with a two-year sentence. With good behavior and time served, Aziza Graves could be out in about four months. The transcript shows Judge Conroy did that against the wishes of the public defender who said Graves is innocent, and the prosecution. Aziza Graves is back in court on Friday after the plea deal fell through. She's headed for more hearings and a trial unless something changes yet again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5May 7, 2024 11:44 AM

Reparations, simple as.

by Anonymousreply 6May 7, 2024 11:46 AM

While shoplifting is awful, and she deserves what she (should) have coming to her -- it's hard to sympathize with Target and other chain stores that cut staff by installing these soulless do-it-yourself checkout stands. Remember, just a few years ago that was somebody's job. Next they will have customers go onto the loading dock to pick out what they want rather than pay someone to stock the shelves.

by Anonymousreply 7May 7, 2024 11:56 AM

Target is not the place to steal. They have cutting edge, NSA-level facial recognition software. They don't nab you the first time you steal from them. They let you continue to steal, waiting until the dollar amount crosses the threshold for a felony--then they nail you. This woman might not get much prison time but she still has a felony on her record.

by Anonymousreply 8May 7, 2024 12:49 PM

I haven't had many problems with the self-checkouts at Target or Kroger.

CVS, however, is uniformly awful.

by Anonymousreply 9May 7, 2024 12:52 PM

R8 Especially from self-checkouts I imagine, because it's too easy for the perpetrator to claim they made a mistake if you confront them early on. But repeated behaviour is nigh on impossible to talk your way out of.

by Anonymousreply 10May 7, 2024 12:54 PM

"Don't they have staff near the self-checkputs?"

A lot of retail/bank robberies are 'inside jobs'. One of your homies gets a job there and facilitates the theft.

by Anonymousreply 11May 7, 2024 12:55 PM

R8 yup, they ‘build a case’ against serial shoplifters. They let you go knowing you’ll come back and do it again.

by Anonymousreply 12May 7, 2024 12:57 PM

R11 That makes sense. Risky business, though.

by Anonymousreply 13May 7, 2024 1:01 PM

There must be a huge overlap between lack of fear/grit and criminality, r13.

by Anonymousreply 14May 7, 2024 1:23 PM

U Scan is better than going through the checkstand. No human interaction needed and its usually faster.

by Anonymousreply 15May 7, 2024 2:38 PM

The Target near me limits self-checkout to 15 items. It's more like your old-time express line in a grocery store. There's always a worker solely designated to that area observing and helping out as required. There's routinely someone who needs help with something.

Because of that, they might as well just close the self-checkout registers down and actually have an express line with a cashier.

by Anonymousreply 16May 7, 2024 7:12 PM

They have locked all the good stuff, like lawn equipment and other stuff here in this shit stan, grab and run is bad and we have no police officers, I wait to see if they start locking up meat and food too. Neither do they come out at a car crash unless there's injured.

by Anonymousreply 17May 7, 2024 7:36 PM

R16 I think people are much more used to them now! It's rare I need help on them these days, it's mostly just if I buy alcohol and need to have the age verification thing done.

by Anonymousreply 18May 7, 2024 8:35 PM

Please don't let her be.....

DAMN.

by Anonymousreply 19May 7, 2024 8:52 PM

I usually scan one item for every two at a CVS because fuck them for making me do the work

by Anonymousreply 20May 7, 2024 8:53 PM

[quote] While the blame is mostly on the thief, surely Target has to take some responsibility for making it possible in the first place.

Always blame the victim, especially if it's a corporation. No wonder we are where we are.

She should be in jail for 10, not 3 years.

by Anonymousreply 21May 7, 2024 9:01 PM

Save on staffing, spend on loss prevention.

by Anonymousreply 22May 7, 2024 9:03 PM

Miss the olden days when you shoved down your pants or up your skirt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23May 7, 2024 9:21 PM

[quote] This woman might not get much prison time but she still has a felony on her record.

I doubt it'll be her first.

by Anonymousreply 24May 8, 2024 1:43 AM

[quote] It's rare I need help on them these days, it's mostly just if I buy alcohol and need to have the age verification thing done.

Oh honey, even a robot can see you're over 60.

by Anonymousreply 25May 8, 2024 1:46 AM

Because you asked for it, R19

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26May 8, 2024 1:48 AM

I know inflation is bad, but what the fuck costs $60K at a Target? Was she stealing someone's kidneys?

by Anonymousreply 27May 8, 2024 1:50 AM

I clip coupons, okay?

by Anonymousreply 28May 8, 2024 4:49 AM

[quote] This woman might not get much prison time but she still has a felony on her record.

Gee Wally. That might prevent her from getting that job as a loan officer at Citibank

by Anonymousreply 29May 8, 2024 4:56 AM

[quote] I usually scan one item for every two at a CVS because fuck them for making me do the work

Some people are just inclined to shoplift. I'm surprised at how many shoplifters post on DL.

by Anonymousreply 30May 8, 2024 5:05 AM

[Quote] Always blame the victim, especially if it's a corporation.

Corporations aren’t people. A corporation is never a victim.

by Anonymousreply 31May 8, 2024 5:11 AM

But usually the machine will say the weight is incorrect if u don't scan everything

by Anonymousreply 32May 8, 2024 5:42 AM

I don’t use self checkout on principle, also they don’t work well with your own reusable bags.

by Anonymousreply 33May 8, 2024 7:34 AM

[quote] Corporations aren’t people.

The Supreme Court and the laws of the United States would disagree with you.

by Anonymousreply 34May 8, 2024 4:48 PM

[quote] No human interaction

Having to interact with a cashier is literal violence!

RME

by Anonymousreply 35May 8, 2024 4:52 PM

[Quote] The Supreme Court and the laws of the United States would disagree with you.

Yes, I know. Therein lies the problem, R34.

by Anonymousreply 36May 8, 2024 5:28 PM

[quote]Maybe they should hire actual cashiers who will scan your items and receive your payment?

The world has changed, gramps.

PS nobody uses cursive anymore.

by Anonymousreply 37May 8, 2024 5:32 PM

[quote]U Scan is better than going through the checkstand. No human interaction needed and its usually faster.

Our eldergays are still perplexed and bewildered by self checkout. Don't terrify them with U Scan. They might think you're talking about something out of a scifi movie.

by Anonymousreply 38May 8, 2024 5:34 PM

I don't disagree with you, R36.

by Anonymousreply 39May 8, 2024 7:30 PM

I thought San Francisco doesn't consider theft a crime anymore?

by Anonymousreply 40May 8, 2024 7:50 PM

Regardless of whether corporations are people or not, my point was that for the Crazy Left you screw a corporation and it's their fault. Because they're a corporation. Doesn't matter you're a criminal with a record, it's the corporation's fault. So it's Target's fault.

by Anonymousreply 41May 13, 2024 8:58 PM

We'll send her to summer camp instead. It's not her fault. Racism MADE her steal $60k worth of Target shit.

by Anonymousreply 42May 13, 2024 9:15 PM

Target is supposed to be known for its good loss protection. Sounds to me like they caught on to what she was doing and let her get away with it on purpose - in order to pursue felony charges.

by Anonymousreply 43May 13, 2024 10:11 PM

[quote]accused of stealing from a single Target location at the city’s Stonestown Galleria “dozens” of times between Oct 3, 2020, and Nov. 16, 2021.

If they know she did it "dozens” of times, why did they wait a whole year to arrest her?

by Anonymousreply 44May 13, 2024 10:20 PM

[quote]Please don't let her be.....DAMN.

Before I make a judgement on whether Target is partially to blame, I'm going to wait and see what Sunny Hostin says.

by Anonymousreply 45May 13, 2024 10:48 PM

I remember a few years ago reading a subreddit where a guy asked for advice because his daughter stole from her job. She made a dumb mistake, he said. She bought some expensive makeup/moisturizer, then returned it herself ar the cash register, but put the makeup/moisturizer in her pocket. “She was going to put it back on the shelf later, but forgot.”

She was notified at home that she was not to return to work and that she had to meet with someone from loss prevention at a certain time and date. “If she meets the LP person and gives back the item, will everything be ok?”

Absolutely no, it’s not OK said someone who worked in LP. Everything is videoed and no doubt your daughter has done this before, They let her get away with it until she hit a certain amount. You’d better prepare yourself for criminal charges to be brought against her and they will be significant.

The father was gobsmacked. His little girl? He taught her to be honest and trustworthy.

“Maybe you did, but either a friend of hers told her how to steal this way, or she figured it out herself. And if she sold the merchandise on eBay or postmark or some other online outlet, there would be an electronic trail. Baby girl is in big trouble.

“But it was dumb!” said dad.

It was, said LP. And it was illegal. There are consequences.

Low information people don’t understand they’re being recorded at all times and the video is being reviewed.

by Anonymousreply 46May 13, 2024 10:58 PM

[quote] While the blame is mostly on the thief

Miss Cynthia Nixon has entered the chat.

by Anonymousreply 47May 13, 2024 11:00 PM

[quote] Neither do they come out at a car crash unless there's injured.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 48May 13, 2024 11:02 PM

I wanted to get an American Express or Visa gift card. I was in target and walked with my husband over to the gift card display at target and began looking for one. My husband pointed to a Target card and said, “Is this for using iin target only?” Yes I said, I can’t use it outside of target..

All of a sudden a stocky middle aged guy in a white shirt and tie came over at warp speed yelling, “Can I help you?” I’d never seen anyone his age working in Target, or wearing a shirt and tie. I told him I was looking for a Visa card and he said, “We don’t carry them!” And he just stood there.

“We can try CVS” I said to my husband. The guy waited there until we went to checkout. “Where the hell did he come from?” I asked

Later on I heard there was a scheme where people were stealing Target cards, doing something to the stickers, returning them to the store. When someone bought the card the thieves then used the card number online.

The guy had obviously been a loss prevention employee (and former cop) who’d been watching a camera somewhere behind the scenes and saw us standing at the Target gift card station. I’m probably in Target’s facial recognition database now.

by Anonymousreply 49May 13, 2024 11:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!