Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Olly Alexander addresses 'extreme' remarks from fans on Israel's Eurovision inclusion

Years & Years singer and It's A Sin actor Olly Alexander was selected as the UK's representative for Eurovision, which is due to take place in Malmo, Sweden, next week, but he has found himself facing criticism for his involvement in the competition

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25May 9, 2024 2:25 AM

Eurovision is not the place to discuss serious political issues, it’s a song contest FFS.

by Anonymousreply 1May 7, 2024 8:42 AM

The Left is outraged over his statement.

by Anonymousreply 2May 7, 2024 9:10 AM

Several of my friends are 'boycotting' it this year, so now I've stopped mentioning it to them in case I get a lecture.

I hate what Israel is doing in Gaza, but boycotting Eurovision is taking things to the extreme. Like R1 says, it's not for political issues. Can you imagine the furore if the organisers had banned Israel from taking part?

Some are going mad over Olly Alexander not quitting the show. It's not that easy though!

by Anonymousreply 3May 7, 2024 9:13 AM

Eurovision should be about this. Tits out crazy, and a lot of fun.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4May 7, 2024 10:01 AM

These slacktivists are such a mess. If you post on the Eurovision subreddit, you're eventually going to get a private message telling you not to watch this week's live shows because of Israel's inclusion. And I'm like girl, talk to Hamas, they're the ones dragging this out.

by Anonymousreply 5May 7, 2024 10:12 AM

R5, I don't agree with the ban Israel stance, but I bet you - aside from the fact that Hamas has agreed to a ceasefire while Israel refuses to - even if Hamas were to release all the hostages, Israel would still carry on as their aim is to expel all the Palestinians from Gaza.

In any case, Israel - although not a European country - participates in Eurovision, so, yes, they are the ones whose participation would be complained about because they are the ones participating. The Palestinians can't participate because they don't have a state because Israel won't allow them to have one.

by Anonymousreply 6May 7, 2024 10:30 AM

[quote]aside from the fact that Hamas has agreed to a ceasefire while Israel refuses to

Complete and utter fiction from parallel fantasy land. It's Hamas that has repeatedly a) rejected the ceasefire conditions and b) violated tentative ceasefire by firing rockets into Israel. Both Biden and Qatar have been vocally exasperated with Hamas because of that.

And now Israel has wasted 100 days on ceasefire negotiations with a party that has zero incentive for one because of all the aid and support they're getting from abroad.

by Anonymousreply 7May 7, 2024 10:35 AM

[quote]In any case, Israel - although not a European country - participates in Eurovision

Once again for those in the back, being a European country wasn't a condition for participation at any point since the contest started in 1956 because this is a contest organised by the EBU. Morocco and Algeria could take part if they wanted to. But they don't because they hate the Jews too much.

by Anonymousreply 8May 7, 2024 10:38 AM

The necklace he's wearing in OP's link looks lethal.

by Anonymousreply 9May 7, 2024 10:39 AM

He signed this letter, picking his side, less than two weeks after the 10/7 attacks. Blowback's a bitch, Olly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10May 7, 2024 10:45 AM

But Israel still wants to expel all the Palestinians from Gaza, right r7?

by Anonymousreply 11May 7, 2024 10:48 AM

Queers for Palestine, including Olly instigated the debate about Israel participating. Now he's being called out for his hypocrisy.

Don't worry Olly, loads of Hamas dudes ready to plow your rosebud.

by Anonymousreply 12May 7, 2024 10:51 AM

For those in the UK, both semi finals are being broadcast on BBC 1, the first one is on tonight. In previous years, they'd usually relegate the semi finals to BBC 3 or even the iPlayer, only showing the final on BBC 1.

They probably picked the wrong year to show the semis on the main channel...

R12 I expect he did that thinking it would put pressure on Israel to not participate. At one point it looked like they were planning on self sabotaging when they submitted political songs, knowing that was against the rules. Most thought Israel would withdraw while playing the wounded victim, but they actually capitulated and submitted a non political song after all.

by Anonymousreply 13May 7, 2024 10:58 AM

The Left would support Jeffery Dahmer today had he not been white. As it is, they praise Osama bin Laden.

by Anonymousreply 14May 7, 2024 11:13 AM

What a bunch of cunts in here. Especially R8 and R11. Pretentious try-hard.

by Anonymousreply 15May 7, 2024 11:23 AM

^ You need to put your tin foil hat on.

by Anonymousreply 16May 7, 2024 11:32 AM

I actually heard good things about "It's A Sin", but even with a skinny Sam Smith look-a-like...I'll have to avoid it entirely.

by Anonymousreply 17May 7, 2024 11:52 AM

It’s A Sin was very good. Hard going for people old enough to remember the fear and misery we all felt in the 80s. Olly Alexander was only just bearable.

by Anonymousreply 18May 7, 2024 12:09 PM

Olly spoiled the whole thing- as an actor and also his character. There were far more appealing characters in It's A Sin.

by Anonymousreply 19May 7, 2024 12:11 PM

R19 Like Colin. Poor Colin.

by Anonymousreply 20May 7, 2024 12:55 PM

When I want political insight into the Middle East, Olly Alexander's opinion is always the one I seek out first.

by Anonymousreply 21May 7, 2024 1:03 PM

Smells Like Twat Spirit.

by Anonymousreply 22May 7, 2024 1:04 PM

lmao

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23May 9, 2024 2:06 AM

Who?

by Anonymousreply 24May 9, 2024 2:08 AM

[quote]But Israel still wants to expel all the Palestinians from Gaza, right [R7]?

Wrong.

by Anonymousreply 25May 9, 2024 2:25 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!