Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I enjoy being a girl

I FLIP when a fella sends me flowers!

I DROOL over dresses made of lace!

I talk on the telephone for hours

With a pound and a half of cream upon my face!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22May 7, 2024 11:01 PM

I did it better!

by Anonymousreply 1May 7, 2024 12:29 PM

And another song that will be targeted by the cancel culture. Here is a much better version.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2May 7, 2024 4:54 PM

It's *mine*.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3May 7, 2024 4:59 PM

The only version that matters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4May 7, 2024 5:03 PM

In this song, the character's hopes/dreams/goals may not resonate so much with modern women BUT they are honestly what she wants for herself. No one is forcing her into this mold. Sure, you can argue that she is a "victim of societal pressure" or something like that, but in the end the character is fully self-actualized and able to pursue what she wants. Let it go. It's just a song. It happens to be a very good song -well-written and fun to watch in performance.

by Anonymousreply 5May 7, 2024 5:06 PM

Weil ich'n Mädchen bin

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6May 7, 2024 5:12 PM

A-M

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7May 7, 2024 5:13 PM

[quote] With a pound and a half of cream upon my face!

I too love being pounded and then creamed upon my face

by Anonymousreply 8May 7, 2024 5:18 PM

A highlight of a wonderful score containing some of R and H's loveliest songs. The lyrics of the hated Chop Suey are terrific.

by Anonymousreply 9May 7, 2024 5:21 PM

These days, being a female -female means something else entirely!

Who knew Oscar was so prescient?

by Anonymousreply 10May 7, 2024 5:21 PM

You *must*...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11May 7, 2024 5:33 PM

R2, it wasn't canceled. You just want an excuse to whine about cancel culture

by Anonymousreply 12May 7, 2024 5:34 PM

[quote]well-written

That's just not true. The lyrics are awful, and ridiculously twee.

"I adore being dressed in something frilly

When my date comes to meet me at my place!

Out I go with my Joe or John or Billy

Like a filly who is ready for the race!"

"Joe or John or Billy"???

Don't get me wrong: Oscar Hammerstein II was a superb lyricists when he was younger (the lyrics to "Show Boat" are extraordinary). But by the time of "Flower Drum Song" he was producing some hackwork, and he was also pretty much out of step with the rest of his culture.

by Anonymousreply 13May 7, 2024 5:45 PM

Donna's predicament...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14May 7, 2024 5:50 PM

I can't believe a Datalounger is actually [italic]threatened[/italic] by reproducing lyrics from a song from "Flower Drum Song." As if Hammerstein cannot even be excerpted lest he be somehow subjected to criticism.

by Anonymousreply 15May 7, 2024 5:50 PM

Not buying that, R13. You neglect to mention the carefully-structured internal rhymes and alliteration that are hallmarks of craftsmanship. Hammerstein wasn't trying to make a social-political comment -he was writing for a specific character, helping us to understand who she is and what motivates her.

I've always loved the song "Femininity" from the musical Oh, Captain! but wish it wasn't bowdlerized with alternate lyrics. It's a song about sex and sexual desire, for fuck's sake!

by Anonymousreply 16May 7, 2024 6:03 PM

[quote]Don't get me wrong: Oscar Hammerstein II was a superb lyricists when he was younger (the lyrics to "Show Boat" are extraordinary). But by the time of "Flower Drum Song" he was producing some hackwork, and he was also pretty much out of step with the rest of his culture.

Oh please.

Out of touch with the rest of the culture? In 1965 "The Sound of Music" was the year's highest grossing film and the next year became the highest grossing film of all time.

"The album reached the number one position on the Billboard 200 that year in the United States."

"It remained in the top ten for 109 weeks, from May 1, 1965, to July 16, 1967 and remained on the Billboard 200 chart for 238 weeks"

This BTW, was during the thick of Beatlemania and the British Invasion.

As for the lyrics:

"I adore being dressed in something frilly

When my date comes to meet me at my place!

Out I go with my Joe or John or Billy

Like a filly who is ready for the race!"

It is absolute perfection.

by Anonymousreply 17May 7, 2024 9:02 PM

Hammerstein gets such a bad rap at times I am completely incredulous especially that with Showboat and Oklahoma and South Pacific he might very well be the most influential individual of the American musical theater of the 20th Century. Of course the one person who should have been the most grateful to him behaved towards his legacy by acting sometimes like a little shit. He has a problem with 'when the sky is a bright canary yellow'? I'm glad the audience gets it because he sure doesn't. Was he being intentionally obtuse? Was he jealous of his popularity with the mass general audience? I don't know.

by Anonymousreply 18May 7, 2024 9:42 PM

There's not enough solo work for her to be a patron saint of DL, but let's hear it for BJ Baker, who dubbed me in the film. Her voice is much friendlier than Ms. Suzuki, who was never considered for the film of FDS. Ross Hunter bought it for me.

The lyrics came true: Pearl Cream is the pound and a half of cream upon my face!

When I'm not in my luxurious pearl bath, I'm busy fending off "friends" who actually accuse me of having had a face lift.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19May 7, 2024 9:46 PM

Let the horse jokes begin

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20May 7, 2024 10:00 PM

I sing this to myself in front of my makeup mirror every morning!

by Anonymousreply 21May 7, 2024 10:26 PM

Early camp.

BTW, the Maureen McGovern nun character in Airplane sang IEBAG but it was cut.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22May 7, 2024 11:01 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!