Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Laura Linney gushes about Elton John, eating al fresco, Grand Central Station, Juilliard, daffodils and tulips

Charming, or annoying?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37May 8, 2024 6:30 PM

I like her as an actress but when I saw her on Inside the Actor's Studio she took herself too seriously.

by Anonymousreply 1May 7, 2024 4:44 AM

[quote]Charming, or annoying?

These profiles tend to make most celebs sound annoying, so you have to keep that in mind going in. What I do know is that bangs would take fully twenty years off her face.

by Anonymousreply 2May 7, 2024 4:49 AM

I guess they are pushing that crappy Ethan Hawke movie about Flannery O'Connor starring Ethan Jr.

by Anonymousreply 3May 7, 2024 4:51 AM

“I went to Juilliard. I’m on the board at Juilliard. Walking through the halls of Juilliard and seeing young artists at a level of concentration that you only have when you are in the midst of training, I find it incredibly life-affirming. It confirms everything I want and know to be true about why the arts are important.”

ANNOYING AS FUCK

How did she have a kid at age 50?

by Anonymousreply 4May 7, 2024 4:55 AM

She still sounds like an annoying, privileged, theater geek uptown nepo baby STILL (at age 60!) trying to impress the admissions staff at Juilliard.

by Anonymousreply 5May 7, 2024 4:56 AM

But what does she think about the Palestinian conflict?

by Anonymousreply 6May 7, 2024 4:58 AM

I will always love her as an actor. But I have a friend who went to Brown with her and said LL acted like she was queen of the theater world there.

by Anonymousreply 7May 7, 2024 4:59 AM

Did your friend have any success?

by Anonymousreply 8May 7, 2024 5:01 AM

I always get her mixed up with the actress that Billy bob dumped for Angelina

by Anonymousreply 9May 7, 2024 5:11 AM

[quote] Did your friend have any success?

My friend is a professor with a named chair at her college.

But should it matter? Are only successful people allowed to criticize celebrities?

by Anonymousreply 10May 7, 2024 5:18 AM

Mary-Ann Singleton was a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 11May 7, 2024 5:22 AM

She has a very dull monotone voice that makes her acting sound flat

by Anonymousreply 12May 7, 2024 5:26 AM

I worked with her on one of her first shows on Broadway. She was a total stuck up cunt then. I also remember many of us were surprised she was as old as she was (nearing 30), as she looked much younger. I was college aged and I thought we were peers.

It didn't stop Ethan Hawke from hitting on her every chance he could get. She wanted nothing to do with him.

by Anonymousreply 13May 7, 2024 5:28 AM

Dull monotone? You must be thinking of someone else.

by Anonymousreply 14May 7, 2024 7:39 AM

R9 you mean Laura Dern?

by Anonymousreply 15May 7, 2024 7:40 AM

Not a fan. Anne Hathaway gets the hate this one deserves.

by Anonymousreply 16May 7, 2024 9:48 AM

this is the first film I recall seeing her in /

any fans of this one?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17May 7, 2024 10:37 AM

I always pay attention to connections. I'd liked her in what I'd seen, so I liked her as an actress in the early days.

But then I read that she was good friends (via Tales of the City) with Armistead Maupin who is a verified asshole, so I figured she was one, too.

That little bit of an article didn't disabuse me of that opinion.

by Anonymousreply 18May 7, 2024 12:05 PM

She's Laura Linney and this is Masterpiece Classic.

by Anonymousreply 19May 7, 2024 12:26 PM

Laura Linney is one of those people who tries to come across as a normal person but in an effort to come across as a normal people, she comes across as a freak.

Meryl sometimes is guilty of this as well.

by Anonymousreply 20May 7, 2024 1:28 PM

Wow, Laura Linney hate? Really? She’s about as harmless as they come. She’s family friends with someone my husband is quite close with in our business, and I’ve met her a few times socially. I originally met her the year after she lost the Oscar for You Can Count On Me (a beautiful little movie that she gave an extraordinary performance in) to Julia Roberts, and she was as charming and down to earth and normal as one could be. We joked extensively about Juilliard since we’d both attended, and chatted a bit about her loss which she took well. I found her totally charming and sweet. She can read as cold and cunty on screen which is why she was so good in that Netflix show with Jason Bateman. This criticism of her here is really weird. There are much better targets. Was this thread started by Hathaway’s PR bitch?

by Anonymousreply 21May 7, 2024 1:35 PM

So she's a chronic people pleaser, which sometimes manifests itself as being cunty. I'm sure many of us can identify with that. I agree with r21, you're being too harsh on her.

by Anonymousreply 22May 7, 2024 1:41 PM

She talks about the production of The Seagull that she and Ethan Hawke were in in 1992. The New York Times lambasted in:

the productions lack any artistic passion or even coherent points of view...The results achieved in this Chekhov production, as directed by Marshall W. Mason, are superior to last season's only in the sense that mediocrity is superior to catastrophe. Given the larger number of good actors onstage, the waste of resources and talent is, if anything, more conspicuous...acted by the promising Ethan Hawke with an arm-waving display of unfocused nervous energy...Laura Linney, the highly gifted young actress cast as Nina, may be the most commanding actor of the lot, but her bracing, unmodulated vitality, so appropriate to the mature Nina of the final act, seems out of sync before then.

by Anonymousreply 23May 7, 2024 1:52 PM

I loved "You Can Count On Me " but I found Mark Ruffalo had the dull monotone and I always wondered how he got so far in his acting career.

by Anonymousreply 24May 7, 2024 2:07 PM

she had a nice pair of jugs on "tales of the city"

by Anonymousreply 25May 7, 2024 2:14 PM

[quote] Wow, Laura Linney hate? Really? She’s about as harmless as they come. She’s family friends with someone my husband is quite close with in our business, and I’ve met her a few times socially. I originally met her the year after she lost the Oscar for You Can Count On Me (a beautiful little movie that she gave an extraordinary performance in) to Julia Roberts, and she was as charming and down to earth and normal as one could be. We joked extensively about Juilliard since we’d both attended, and chatted a bit about her loss which she took well. I found her totally charming and sweet. She can read as cold and cunty on screen which is why she was so good in that Netflix show with Jason Bateman. This criticism of her here is really weird. There are much better targets. Was this thread started by Hathaway’s PR bitch?

Well, obviously if you like her personally and cherish your vague acquaintance with her, then no one else on this forum should be allowed to criticize her. We'll make a note of it!

by Anonymousreply 26May 7, 2024 2:37 PM

I find her intolerable.

by Anonymousreply 27May 7, 2024 2:40 PM

Doesn’t she live in Colorado?

by Anonymousreply 28May 7, 2024 2:42 PM

She lives in Brooklyn Heights

by Anonymousreply 29May 7, 2024 2:52 PM

Calm down. r26. Your absurd posting about her is ridiculous. Shut up.

by Anonymousreply 30May 7, 2024 10:34 PM

Actually, his posting wasn't the least bit absurd or over the top. It was an opinion, plain and simple. However your post, R30, is quite ridiculous. Take your own advice.

by Anonymousreply 31May 7, 2024 10:36 PM

I Did it For You, Laura Linney

by Anonymousreply 32May 7, 2024 10:47 PM

Ages ago, I saw her on a date with Eric Stoltz. We were all at a show at the Minetta Lane theater in NYC. I can’t remember the show, but those two were cuddling outside during intermission. I don’t think anybody else recognize them.

by Anonymousreply 33May 7, 2024 10:51 PM

Good in Tales of the City

Sucked in Love Actually

Her face and demeanor say girl next door but her acting is metallic and cold.

by Anonymousreply 34May 7, 2024 10:58 PM

I just saw her in the movie Suncoast on Hulu. She was quite good as the abrasive mother of two teenagers, one of whom is dying of brain cancer in a hospice. Although a well-studied performance, it is interesting to consider in light of the criticism above of the vitality Linney brought to her character in The Seagull. Even thirty years later, playing an overworked mother in her late fifties, sleeping every night on a fold-out cot in a hospice, she had a spring in her step that seemed out of tone at times.

by Anonymousreply 35May 7, 2024 11:10 PM

Annoying. Thread closed.

by Anonymousreply 36May 8, 2024 3:04 AM

She's playing FLANNERY O'CONNOR'S MOTHER?

Please.

by Anonymousreply 37May 8, 2024 6:30 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!