Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Israel begins Rafah offensive after rejecting Hamas ceasefire ploy

Israel has begun its military operation into Rafah after rejecting Hamas’ cease-fire claim as a deception.

“The IDF is currently conducting targeted strikes against Hamas terror targets in eastern Rafah in southern Gaza,” the Israel Defense Forces said Monday night local time.

The world’s eyes are now on the southern city in the Gaza Strip, where more than 1 million Palestinians have taken refuge while fleeing war elsewhere in the territory.

President Biden has repeatedly warned Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu not to go ahead with the Rafah offensive unless the IDF could secure the safety of the civilians, with the president repeating himself during a call earlier Monday.

“The president was consistent again this morning that we don’t support ground operations in Rafah,” White House national security spokesman John Kirby told reporters prior to the advancement.

As the IDF entered Rafah, Hamas said it fired rockets at the Israeli city of Sderot, Nir Am and other areas near the Gazan border.

The IDF confirmed that the missiles were intercepted by the Iron Dome defense system, with one home damaged by falling shrapnel from the attack.

The announcement came shortly after Israel’s war cabinet unanimously voted to proceed with the attack on Hamas’ final stronghold in an effort to apply military pressure on the terror group, “with the goal of making progress on freeing the hostages and the other war aims,” Netanyahu’s office said.

The prime minister also slammed Hamas’ latest truce officer as “far from Israel’s obligatory demands.”

Following Hamas chief Ismail Haniyeh’s announcement that the terror group had accepted a cease-fire deal, Israeli officials told multiple outlets that the deal presented to the terror group was a “softened” version of what was really on the table and is not being taken seriously by Jerusalem.

One official told Reuters that the announcement was a clear ruse by the terror group to create backlash against Israel for refusing a deal, and officials told public broadcaster KAN TV that the announcement of a cease-fire agreement was a “Hamas deception.”

Despite criticizing Hamas’ move, Netanyahu’s office said Israel is still sending a negotiation team to Cairo “to exhaust the possibility of achieving an agreement on terms that are acceptable to Israel.”

Israel has repeatedly rejected any cease-fire deal that calls for an end to the war, with Netanyahu saying that the conflict will only end once Hamas has been eradicated and Gaza proves to no longer be a threat to the Jewish State.

Thousands of Palestinians are fleeing parts of Rafah after Israel issued warnings it was planning to start military action.

IDF spokesperson Rear Admiral Daniel Hagari said the more than 100,ooo Palestinians who were told to flee eastern Rafah on Monday were instructed to stay in humanitarian zones for the rest of the night, while others were told to run to Al-Mawasi or Khan Younis.

“There they will receive a full humanitarian response, where water, food, medical equipment and shelter will be provided,” Hagari said in a statement.

Netanyahu has agreed to keep the Kerem Shalom crossing open to allow humanitarian aid to go through after closing the passage over the weekend following Hamas’ attack.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52May 9, 2024 7:12 AM

Fuck around and find out

by Anonymousreply 1May 7, 2024 12:50 AM

Netanyahu needs to be replaced.

by Anonymousreply 2May 7, 2024 12:52 AM

The Israeli people are out on the streets in their tens of thousands demanding an immediate election R2. Netanyahu knows he'll be tossed out and it will be the end of his political career so he'll do anything to hang on to power.

by Anonymousreply 3May 7, 2024 12:57 AM

What about the HOSTAGES???? Why isn't Israel moving heaven and earth to get them back?

by Anonymousreply 4May 7, 2024 12:58 AM

I assume they have given up on any practical plan to release them r4. This will be bloody and terrible, but the alternative seems to be endless dicking around and delay.

by Anonymousreply 5May 7, 2024 1:01 AM

R4, they could have swapped the hostages for prisoners early on, but you can’t clutter up the Middle East with “logic.” That would be off-brand.

by Anonymousreply 6May 7, 2024 1:09 AM

Good for Israel. Raze the entire city.

by Anonymousreply 7May 7, 2024 1:15 AM

it's not good really. It's death and misery. But somehow this damn thing has to end.

I don't know what anybody does next, though.

by Anonymousreply 8May 7, 2024 1:18 AM

R6, for real they are THE WORST, most destructive sibling rivalry in history.

Father Abram/Abraham really fucked the world, for all time.

by Anonymousreply 9May 7, 2024 1:18 AM

R9, the muslims completely stole that narrative from the Jews thousands of years after the Torah was written, then they proceed to invade and steal the Holy Land, the Maghreb, Spain, Persia and lands east, committing atrocities and genocides, enslaving, raping all in the name of their diabolical allah.

by Anonymousreply 10May 7, 2024 1:22 AM

It's 2024 R10. Move on and focus on the now. People like you are one of the main reasons why this conflict exists and you're determined to keep it going for as long as you can.

by Anonymousreply 11May 7, 2024 1:25 AM

there is no "holy land." Also there is no natural right of ownership really, all over the world. It's all nonsense and bullshit. And ancient Israelites (whatever the fuck that means really) tell stories of themselves being violent and truly nasty cunts stealing land all over the place and killing everyone in sight. I don't think those stories are true, but it tells you where everyone is coming from.

by Anonymousreply 12May 7, 2024 1:25 AM

R11, you are comical! I was correcting R9. History and facts matter. If you don't think the insanity in the islamic foundational texts are not being played out every day around the globe, keep your head deep in your ass and let the rest of us tell and deal with the truth. Do try to educate yourself. Considering how violently homophobic the muslim world is, amongst other horrors, gays like you are the fucking problem.

by Anonymousreply 13May 7, 2024 1:29 AM

R12, the violence in the Torah is historical, and, yes, we all have blood on our hands. The violence in the islamic texts, however, is directive. Muslims are ordered and encourage to kill and enslave, just like their prophet did, and they are promised rewards for doing so. This is why there is never peace with with muslims countries, it's called blood borders. It is a major problem in sub-Saharan Africa but to a lesser extent in other countries.

by Anonymousreply 14May 7, 2024 1:47 AM

It's actually invented r14, which is actually to the credit of the authors. But it's weird they all revel in bloodshed the way they do. It's grotesque actually.

But that said, there is no easy end to all this shit. For now, I think Israel should just get the invasion of Rafah over with and then try to come up with some next step. It will be shitty one way or another, but it is better than just killing and bombing, killing and bombing, day in and day out forever. Just do the occupation if that is the answer for now, and everybody stop dicking around for the sake of putting off any real decision.

by Anonymousreply 15May 7, 2024 1:51 AM

[quote] for real they are THE WORST, most destructive sibling rivalry in history.

Ahem.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16May 7, 2024 1:55 AM

Motherfucking Israel is intent on committing genocide.

by Anonymousreply 17May 7, 2024 2:16 AM

If Israel gets rid of the Palestinians maybe this will be over for good

by Anonymousreply 18May 7, 2024 2:16 AM

Did you learn that in your ethnic studies class, R17?

by Anonymousreply 19May 7, 2024 2:18 AM

R19. I learned it because it's true. Besides committing genocide, Israel is a lying land thief.

by Anonymousreply 20May 7, 2024 2:21 AM

If this is genocide it will take about 75 years to kill everybody in Gaza. So I guess we'll just have to put a pin in that.

by Anonymousreply 21May 7, 2024 2:25 AM

Fantastic, get as many as you can. The more you trim that bush NOW, they less you'll have to do it LATER.

by Anonymousreply 22May 7, 2024 4:42 AM

This sounds horrible but Hamas needs to be blown off the face of this planet

by Anonymousreply 23May 7, 2024 5:12 AM

Fuck Israel.

by Anonymousreply 24May 7, 2024 5:16 AM

0h yes the evil "cease-fire ploy"

They saw right through it, nicely done Israel, now they get to go back to murdering innocent men, women and children on a truly historic scale. So clever of them. They saw right through it!

by Anonymousreply 25May 7, 2024 5:27 AM

Hamas has got to go. Get on with it Israel, you cannot negotiate with terrorists whose entire raison d’etre is your destruction.

by Anonymousreply 26May 7, 2024 5:32 AM

Hamas is going to leave Rafah with all the other refugees and return when the invasion is done. This whole Israeli counteroffensive is going to be rinse and repeat because Hamas will just move wherever is not under active bombardment. The only militarist way to eliminate Hamas entirely, which appears to be the goal, would be to basically kill everyone. There needs to be a negotiated settlement otherwise this will continue for years with even more tens of thousands of casualties.

by Anonymousreply 27May 7, 2024 7:38 AM

[quote] There needs to be a negotiated settlement

Western self delusion. It takes two to negotiate.

Hamas Charter --

Article 13: " There is no solution for the Palestinian question except through Jihad." [Page 7]

Article 32: "Leaving the circle of struggle with Zionism is high treason" [Page 18]

Article 11: "The Islamic Resistance Movement believes that the land of Palestine is an Islamic Waqf consecrated for future Moslem generations until Judgement Day. It, or any part of it, should not be squandered: it, or any part of it, should not be given up. Neither a single Arab country nor all Arab countries, neither any king or president, nor all the kings and presidents, neither any organization nor all of them, be they Palestinian or Arab, possess the right to do that. [Page 5]

Article 13: " Now and then the call goes out for the convening of an international conference to look for ways of solving the (Palestinian) question…. These conferences are only ways of setting the infidels in the land of the Moslems as arbitraters." [Page 7]

Article 7: "The Prophet, Allah bless him and grant him salvation, has said: "The Day of Judgement will not come about until Moslems fight the Jews (killing the Jews), when the Jew will hide behind stones and trees. The stones and trees will say O Moslems, O Abdulla, there is a Jew behind me, come and kill him."" [Page 4]

Article 15: "The Jihad for the Liberation of Palestine is an Individual Duty: " "The day that enemies usurp part of Moslem land, Jihad becomes the individual duty of every Moslem. In face of the Jews' usurpation of Palestine, it is compulsory that the banner of Jihad be raised." [Page 8]

by Anonymousreply 28May 7, 2024 7:57 AM

R36, you can’t get rid of them. It’s an ideology. As long as there are people it will always exist.

by Anonymousreply 29May 7, 2024 8:06 AM

The Palestinian terrorists must be neutralized.

by Anonymousreply 30May 7, 2024 8:10 AM

Fuck Hamas

by Anonymousreply 31May 7, 2024 8:21 AM

Most of you deserve red tags.

by Anonymousreply 32May 7, 2024 9:04 AM

What r32 said.

Peace, Out

by Anonymousreply 33May 7, 2024 9:43 AM

Red tags for differing opinions on Israel and Palestine? It's a tough topic so it's no surprise there are strong opinions on both sides being expressed.

by Anonymousreply 34May 7, 2024 10:31 AM

[quote] Red tags for differing opinions on Israel and Palestine?

A person posting antisemitic comments like falsely accusing Israel, of all countries, of committing genocide is more than “differing opinions”.

by Anonymousreply 35May 7, 2024 7:45 PM

I agree that there's no getting rid of Hamas entirely. Groups like that are like roaches that just keep on coming. Remember when we all thought the Taliban was "over"?

If the population of Gaza would reject Hamas as a governing force that might help, especially since these people were badly treated by Hamas - where were the news media and "pro-Palestine people" protesters when this was going on? You certainly don't hear them mention that these days. All that money coming from Qatar that was supposed to be used for the benefit of the population was largely used to build up the attacking forces.

But honestly what Netanyahu and his far-right cabinet are doing with the IDF is just guaranteeing the eventual emergence of Hamas 2.0 because all of this carnage just fuels the hatred of Israel among the Arabs in Palestine. Hamas wants more civilian casualties for just that reason and because they don't care about the people anyway - again, you don't hear the news media or the pro-Palestine protesters talking about that either. But by the time the next iteration of Hamas emerges, Bibi could well be in prison or in disgrace (we can only hope) so he can blame it on whoever is the PM at the time.

Bibi boxed himself into a corner by having to align with the Far Right in Israel to hang on to his PM job and stay out of a courtroom, and he's going to drag as many allies down with him as he can.

by Anonymousreply 36May 7, 2024 8:08 PM

The Israelis saw right through the cease fire ploy, in order to do more of this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37May 7, 2024 9:32 PM

[quote] Red tags for differing opinions on Israel and Palestine?

Yes. The pro Israel commenters on this thread (and others) are advocating for every single Palestinian person to be wiped out. Why are the pro Israeli commenters so much more bloodthirsty? I haven’t seen a single pro Palestinian commenter call for the deaths of more Israelis. Yet on every thread there’s some Zionist saying “nuke them”.

by Anonymousreply 38May 7, 2024 10:56 PM

Israel you so crazy

by Anonymousreply 39May 8, 2024 12:16 AM

Israel is committing genocide. Israel should be shunned and denied aid worldwide.

by Anonymousreply 40May 8, 2024 12:34 AM

Same observation here, r38. And that’s been consistent since end of last year. The bloodthirsty and overall nasty rhetoric (in addition to the calls to silence / cancel others) is overwhelmingly coming from one “side”, and it isn’t the pro-Palestinians.

As some of us have (THANKFULLY!) seen in the last few days with the red/gray-lining of posts, I would not be surprised in the least if these are a handful of professional Hasbara agitators, as Israel is notorious for investing a lot in online PR campaigns

by Anonymousreply 41May 8, 2024 4:07 AM

[quote]The pro Israel commenters on this thread (and others) are advocating for every single Palestinian person to be wiped out.

Where?

by Anonymousreply 42May 8, 2024 11:56 PM

Just a heads up: Some ProPali lunatic on the DL is going around mass FF'ing anyone that dares post anything on the side of Israel. I just finished my first ever 48-hour timeout in like, 13 years of posting here, which I'm almost positive came from some contributions I made to that recent 'Queers 4 Palestine' thread sharing studies that refuted Hamas casualty figures. I'm a remarkably un-inflammatory poster, and I can't imagine what else would have pissed anyone off enough to warrant that.

I don't care when some loser WW's themselves into oblivion—but the fact that these trolls have the power to timeout and red tag anyone whose opinion they disagree with is absolute bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 43May 9, 2024 12:42 AM

There is no getting rid of hamas, hezbollah, isis, al qaeda, al shabaad etc because this is what islam is and always has been. Political islam is a violent poison. Unfortunately, our illustrious elected officials have imported this genocidal and imperialistic ideology into the west. They've set us up for a catastrophe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44May 9, 2024 3:25 AM

R43 maybe it’s bc those “studies” you kept sharing were so blatantly biased that everyone lost patience with you. Sometimes things just are the way they are. It’s not always a conspiracy x.

by Anonymousreply 45May 9, 2024 4:54 AM

R42 see comment 18.

by Anonymousreply 46May 9, 2024 4:56 AM

R42 - in every thread about Israel.

Every. Single. Thread. Multiple. Times.

by Anonymousreply 47May 9, 2024 5:00 AM

Well, I think we have our culprit at R45.

You super gave yourself away by punctuating with the 'x', for what it's worth. You might want to consider leaving that tell out of your posts.

by Anonymousreply 48May 9, 2024 5:02 AM

R48 how would I “mass FF” anyone don’t u only get like 4 per day or something? Also if I was in the business of “mass FFijg people I’d probably also be in the business of mass WWing myself which I’m clearly not doing. I was in a back and forth with you in the other thread about your dumb as fuck links but I didn’t conspire using multiple paid for accounts to get you banned. Like I said, maybe people just saw through your trolling and you got a temp ban for posting right wing biased fake studies. People were prob just sick of you lol. Also regarding a “tell” you know you can just use ignoredar, your little gotcha isn’t really anything, sorry!

by Anonymousreply 49May 9, 2024 6:32 AM

Actually R49, I'm just going to make my life much easier and block you.

by Anonymousreply 50May 9, 2024 7:04 AM

And honestly, I'd prefer if you just did the same for me.

by Anonymousreply 51May 9, 2024 7:06 AM

😂😂😂 you do that. I suppose blocking rather than attempting to explain your ludicrous accusations is a good way of safeguarding your few remaining braincells. Bonne chance.

by Anonymousreply 52May 9, 2024 7:12 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!