Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

University of Chicago faculty walk out in support of Palestinians

Yes, really.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125May 10, 2024 10:10 PM

Where are the cops???

by Anonymousreply 1May 6, 2024 9:33 PM

It's not that they support Palestine, it's that they support the students being able to protest under the first amendment without repercussion from the government or law. Kent State anyone?

by Anonymousreply 2May 6, 2024 9:36 PM

r1, why would the police be needed? Please explain.

by Anonymousreply 3May 6, 2024 9:37 PM

Why would the police be needed? To hold them until Congress can compel testimony, for one thing. They might also have a tent hidden back there!

by Anonymousreply 4May 6, 2024 9:38 PM

R1 would want the cops to remove the Civil Rights marches from the Edmund Pettus bridge in Selma.

by Anonymousreply 5May 6, 2024 9:39 PM

If their so upset they need to immediately give up their Tenure, and rush off to volunteer in Palestine since that is of great import to them.

by Anonymousreply 6May 6, 2024 9:42 PM

My alma mater.... sigh... I thought the school's mission statement compelled them to be neutral on stuff like this..

by Anonymousreply 7May 6, 2024 9:43 PM

I don't get why Gen Z is so into this idea that Palestine is innocent and bullied. Not true.

by Anonymousreply 8May 6, 2024 9:55 PM

[quote] If their so upset they need to immediately give up their Tenure,

Oh, [italic]dear.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 9May 6, 2024 10:05 PM

Protests are fine. Encampments and spraying graffiti all over the school and shouting messages of hatred are not. It's not fucking Burning Man. Maybe if these dumbasses had a clue as to how to properly protest, the police wouldn't need to be called in.

by Anonymousreply 10May 6, 2024 10:06 PM

[quote] My alma mater.... sigh... I thought the school's mission statement compelled them to be neutral on stuff like this..

That would be unconstitutional if it did.

by Anonymousreply 11May 6, 2024 10:07 PM

No it would not, r11. Most companies put in clauses in their handbooks/contracts etc. that specifically state that politics are not to be discussed. I'm sure many universities have this as well.

by Anonymousreply 12May 6, 2024 10:13 PM

I thought Chicago was supposed to be noted for being political. The Chicago school? Milton Friedman?

by Anonymousreply 13May 6, 2024 10:16 PM

I feel bad for the students who just want to get an education and a career.

by Anonymousreply 14May 6, 2024 10:17 PM

The University of Chicago does indeed have a reputation for conservatism r13

Northwestern was the liberal alternative

by Anonymousreply 15May 6, 2024 10:21 PM

How noble of these student protestors to forgo the pleasure of studying and instead spend their academic year engaging in risk-free protests against their university’s tenuous connection to a foreign policy they disagree with.

Usually when you find a business or institution abhorrent, the appropriate step is to boycott it. If these students had the courage of their convictions they would withdraw from these evil universities and forgo the advantages their elite degrees provide. But, no, they simply protest the investment policies that enable the university to provide the education to them.

Most student at elite institutions are not paying full tuition. And even the ones that are are not covering the full cost of their education. All elite universities rely predominantly on their endowments to pay for their students’ attendance. You actually hear some of these protestors complaining that their tuition is funding genocide. Their tuition payments aren’t even covering their costs much less leaving enough for the university to invest.

by Anonymousreply 16May 6, 2024 10:40 PM

We'll see how those endowments fair after donors opt out of funding this shit.

by Anonymousreply 17May 6, 2024 10:42 PM

R17, it's "fare." They're going to come for you so be prepared.

by Anonymousreply 18May 6, 2024 10:47 PM

Thank you for correcting my grammatical genocide. R18.

by Anonymousreply 19May 6, 2024 10:50 PM

[quote] Most companies put in clauses in their handbooks/contracts etc. that specifically state that politics are not to be discussed. I'm sure many universities have this as well.

No, they don’t. Politics is what universities are all about. Debate, theory, etc.

by Anonymousreply 20May 6, 2024 11:06 PM

[quote] I feel bad for the students who just want to get an education and a career.

And here they are eating meatball sandwiches right out in class!

by Anonymousreply 21May 6, 2024 11:07 PM

And in the library….

by Anonymousreply 22May 6, 2024 11:12 PM

What do you mean, "Yes, really," OP? And why shouldn't they? They have as much right to protest as any others protected by the First Amendment. And protesting professors isn't a new concept, dear.

by Anonymousreply 23May 6, 2024 11:19 PM

I wonder how many of the protestors are STEM majors.

by Anonymousreply 24May 6, 2024 11:19 PM

R23. I don’t see any mention about constitutional rights. He may just be astonished that mature and educated people joined the students.

You may want to check what rights you have to protest your employer, by the way

by Anonymousreply 25May 6, 2024 11:21 PM

R25, they aren't protesting their employer.

by Anonymousreply 26May 6, 2024 11:23 PM

Encampments are not protected speech. The university is well in their rights to clear it out and if the faculty want to try and stop that, they can get arrested and depending on university policy, fired.

by Anonymousreply 27May 6, 2024 11:26 PM

[quote]Encampments are not protected speech.

This!

Many people on this thread are missing the point and why the students/faculty are in the wrong.

by Anonymousreply 28May 6, 2024 11:30 PM

Encampments aside, protesting is the right of both students and professors. Period.

by Anonymousreply 29May 6, 2024 11:31 PM

Protesting yes, encampments, no. So if these dumb professors want to get in the way of university police or Chicago PD in removing the tents, then they can reap the consequences. That's the whole point of civil disobedience. But watch both professors and students start crying about amnesty when the suspensions start hitting.

by Anonymousreply 30May 6, 2024 11:34 PM

[quote] But watch both professors and students start crying about amnesty when the suspensions start hitting.

"Amnesty," R29?

by Anonymousreply 31May 6, 2024 11:35 PM

That was for R30.

by Anonymousreply 32May 6, 2024 11:36 PM

[quote] Where are the cops???

YES!!! Anyone who protests US support for the Israeli ethnic cleanser state, or anyone who even supports the right to protest that, should be arrested and put in a death camp and then executed there!

by Anonymousreply 33May 6, 2024 11:41 PM

What don't you understand, R31? There have been plenty of examples of students crying about being suspended, when they've clearly broken rules, laws, etc. They're whiny babies. Again, when you commit to civil disobedience you are committing to whatever consequences come your way. These dumb professors and students don't seem to understand that.

by Anonymousreply 34May 6, 2024 11:41 PM

R26. When you walk out of your employer because of your employer’s policies, you are protesting your employer.

Just try emulating them at your place of employment (if you have one). Your employer will likely teach you what your brain apparently can’t teach you.

by Anonymousreply 35May 6, 2024 11:43 PM

What don't you understand about the definition of "amnesty," R34? Allow me to educate you: "an official pardon for people who have been convicted of political offenses." None of this applies to protesting as is one's First Amendment right.

by Anonymousreply 36May 6, 2024 11:44 PM

R35, what "employer's policies" apply here?

by Anonymousreply 37May 6, 2024 11:45 PM

R37. Dear lord.

by Anonymousreply 38May 6, 2024 11:46 PM

Why don't you Marys just admit you can't stand the fact that there is a groundswell of suport against the policies of Israel--period?

by Anonymousreply 39May 6, 2024 11:49 PM

F10 My sentiments exactly. They aren't "protesting". They are effectively threatening and intimidating other students, camping out and even taking over and shutting down buildings. At Columbia there are bands of protestors blocking students from entering the campus to attend classes.

by Anonymousreply 40May 6, 2024 11:49 PM

R39. Whether the protests are stupid or ill-advised doesn’t have much to do with Israel’s conduct of the war is appropriate or not

by Anonymousreply 41May 6, 2024 11:51 PM

Stop being pedantic, R36. It's how students have phrased it, so I'm using their terminology.

by Anonymousreply 42May 6, 2024 11:52 PM

[quote] Politics is what universities are all about. Debate, theory, etc.

Unless you take even one conservative position or a Jew.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43May 6, 2024 11:52 PM

R41, once again, with proper English used?

by Anonymousreply 44May 6, 2024 11:52 PM

[quote] They are effectively threatening and intimidating other students, camping out and even taking over and shutting down buildings.

It’s funny how the pro Israel commenters all of a sudden have a problem with people settling on lands that don’t belong to them 😂😂😂

by Anonymousreply 45May 6, 2024 11:54 PM

[quote]Why don't you Marys just admit you can't stand the fact that there is a groundswell of suport against the policies of Israel--period?

Because they are in a cult and this is their way of coping with cognitive dissonance.

by Anonymousreply 46May 6, 2024 11:54 PM

R41. Polls indicate about a third of Americans oppose Israel’s conduct. The fact that some otherwise idle young people are worked up about it doesn’t necessarily indicate a groundswell.

by Anonymousreply 47May 6, 2024 11:55 PM

R47, you're actually quite wrong.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48May 6, 2024 11:58 PM

I'm normally very indifferent to this whole situation, but ,,,

[quote]Hamas started this and what did they expect? You "poked" the bear, and this is what happened.

[quote]On the flip side, bombing a country into oblivion (without regard to civilians - which ... let's get real, is happening).

There are two things about these campus protests that bother me, and I'm not sure about the order of importance);

[quote]Critiziing the Isralei government has somehow become anti-Semetic. IT IS NOT. How many people (rightly) criticized the US government over the Iraq War and were "cancelled"? Too many and they were right. Same goes for Israel.

That said, on the social media platforms (which is NOT reality), many pro Gaza are probably anti-semtic. They probably aren't the majority in their reasoning, but they are the loudest on Tik Tok.

by Anonymousreply 49May 6, 2024 11:58 PM

[quote] Most companies put in clauses in their handbooks/contracts etc. that specifically state that politics are not to be discussed. I'm sure many universities have this as well.

Colleges and universities are not "most companies." The whole point of tenure is that it protects professors to state their opinions and ideas.

by Anonymousreply 50May 7, 2024 12:06 AM

Exactly, and thank you, R50.

by Anonymousreply 51May 7, 2024 12:09 AM

None r24

by Anonymousreply 52May 7, 2024 12:10 AM

[quote] Encampments are not protected speech.

But walk-outs [italic]are,[/italic] and this thread is about faculty members at the U of Chicago walking out.

The police cannot arrest people from walking out, despite what r1 seems to believe. Nor they can arrest people from stating their political opinions.

Some of you seem to believe the police can just arrest whomever disagrees with you or annoys you.

by Anonymousreply 53May 7, 2024 12:11 AM

University of Chicago has 3200 faculty members and the stories say that "dozens" showed up. Is that under 50? Definitely under 100.

by Anonymousreply 54May 7, 2024 12:13 AM

[quote]But walk-outs are, and this thread is about faculty members at the U of Chicago walking out.

Great, and the university would be well in their rights to fire them. That's how it works.

by Anonymousreply 55May 7, 2024 12:14 AM

Oh my god people, it was a JOKE. Cops aren’t going near a bunch of bougie U of Chicago professors.

by Anonymousreply 56May 7, 2024 12:16 AM

R55, they're not going to fire them for walking out, as much as you'd like that.

by Anonymousreply 57May 7, 2024 12:18 AM

[quote] Great, and the university would be well in their rights to fire them. That's how it works.

That's absolutely not "how it works" when you're tenured.

You clearly know [bold]nothing[/bold] about the matter at hand.

by Anonymousreply 58May 7, 2024 12:19 AM

R58 - how many of those dozens are tenured? Maybe some are, I'd wager quite a few are not.

by Anonymousreply 59May 7, 2024 12:23 AM

Who cares? Let them stage their symbolic protests. Classes are probably over anyway or close to it.

by Anonymousreply 60May 7, 2024 12:24 AM

R59, trying to move the goal post.

by Anonymousreply 61May 7, 2024 12:24 AM

Do you have proof they are tenured, R61?

by Anonymousreply 62May 7, 2024 12:26 AM

[quote] I'd wager quite a few are not.

Based on... what? You've already amply demonstrated that you know absolutely nothing about how university hiring and firing practices work. You're just talking out of your ass.

by Anonymousreply 63May 7, 2024 12:27 AM

Do you know for a fact they're not, R62?

by Anonymousreply 64May 7, 2024 12:28 AM

Let's face it, these college protests are only helping Israel. Americans don't like this, Biden has condemned them and will again tomorrow during his speech on antisemitism.

by Anonymousreply 65May 7, 2024 12:29 AM

This isn’t the neighborhood I was raised in!

by Anonymousreply 66May 7, 2024 12:31 AM

It’s not even all faculty, and includes lesser faculty: “University of Chicago Faculty for Justice in Palestine is a collective of over 120 University of Chicago faculty, staff, lecturers and post-docs who support the cause of Palestinian liberation. FJP supports and amplifies the work of Students for Justice in Palestine and other student groups struggling for Palestinian liberation at the University of Chicago. FJP supports the call for Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions and for an end to Israel’s occupation and colonization of Palestine. We insist on the fundamental rights of Palestinians to self-determination and equality, and we pledge to respect, protect and promote the rights of Palestinian refugees to return to their homes and lands. FJP rejects the conflation of support for Palestinian liberation and antisemitism; we stand against racism in all its manifestations.”

by Anonymousreply 67May 7, 2024 12:31 AM

[quote]I don't get why Gen Z is so into this idea that Palestine is innocent and bullied. Not true.

I don't get why DL's resident Boomers are so into the idea that Israel is some good and pure country who'd never bully another country or engage in war crimes. (When Bibi's eventually tried at the Hague for war crimes, hopefully you idiotic cunts will FINALLY get it.)

Also, you're missing the entire point. Gen Z's immediate concern isn't about Palestine, the country. It's about the IDF slaughtering *innocent* Palestinian PEOPLE, primarily women & children. Once more, with feeling: Israel DOES NOT DENY that it is killing civilians, much like the US didn't deny that it was doing so during its horrific misadventures in Afghanistan & Iraq. Israel views them as collateral damage.

Btw I'm sure as fuck not naming names, but as it so happens, my brother is a professor at one of the Ivies with protests, and he got his master's and Ph.D at the U. of Chicago. Sorry if this "triggers" our resident bigots, but university professors on whole trend strongly left – I know this is a right-wing talking point, but in this case it's an accurate one – and are completely appalled by how the presidents at Harvard, MIT & Penn were treated by MEGACUNT Elise Stefanik, who as a reminder sucks Trump's dick on a daily basis by continuing to argue that Jan. 6 was a "hoax." If anything, they're stunned that all three presidents walked directly into an obvious trap. My brother still has a ton of professional colleagues at Chicago, and their feelings are broadly similar to those throughout academia.

They're even MORE appalled that Minouche Shafik not only walked into a similar trap, but also totally sold out Columbia in the process – again as part of yet another trap: of COURSE Republicans started calling for her ouster despite her AGREEING with most of them (and appallingly so).

Like rational people – meaning not the majority of DataLounge – they understand that some of the protests have gone way too far, most of all the ones openly supporting Hamas specifically and/or its "from the river to the sea" chant. They do NOT support that – but, then, neither do most students. For those actually *following* the news: how the fuck have you missed that right-wing agitators – ones with zero association with the schools – are the ones causing most of the problems? They oppose civil rights for basically anyone who isn't a white cisgender American conservative, and they are DEFINITELY fueling a lot of the flames here.

What I don't truly get: it is REPUBLICANS who are chomping at the bit to excoriate "woke" liberals over this issue. Why the ACTUAL FUCK are you siding with the right-wing assholes?!?!? Are you solely watching Faux News & OAN??

by Anonymousreply 68May 7, 2024 12:32 AM

R46. And you’re actually quite wrong.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69May 7, 2024 12:33 AM

Sorry it is R48 who is the overconfident corrector.

by Anonymousreply 70May 7, 2024 12:34 AM

"Right wing" agitators are not the ones doing this. Jesus Christ, you live in a fantasy land, r68. It's left wing agitators. Can't believe I wasted my time reading your book of a post.

by Anonymousreply 71May 7, 2024 12:36 AM

r68, you've really created a ridiculous straw man.

by Anonymousreply 72May 7, 2024 12:37 AM

That was from March 21, R69. Nice try.

by Anonymousreply 73May 7, 2024 12:37 AM

R68. It is possible to believe that Israel is not a pure country and to hold a lot of these protests in contempt. I’m not sure what your pont Is.

by Anonymousreply 74May 7, 2024 12:38 AM

[quote]how the fuck have you missed that right-wing agitators – ones with zero association with the schools – are the ones causing most of the problems?

Got that tin foil on too tight? You sound like the MAGAs who tried to float the idea January 6th were infiltrated by Antifa. The far left are insane all on their own and don't need any help.

by Anonymousreply 75May 7, 2024 12:38 AM

And yours is March 27. Do you have a brain cell?

by Anonymousreply 76May 7, 2024 12:40 AM

And this is from May, R69:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77May 7, 2024 12:40 AM

That literally says MARCH 27, r77. Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 78May 7, 2024 12:41 AM

And this is eight days ago!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79May 7, 2024 12:42 AM

Thanks for the recent poll, r79. Finally! Yeah, these protestors and terrorists are hurting their own cause

by Anonymousreply 80May 7, 2024 12:43 AM

This is the key finding - and it helps that the question is specific to *what* kind of cease-fire Americans support:

noted that the poll showed Americans largely want a cease-fire in the war but only after Hamas is removed from power and the hostages they seized during its Oct. 7 attack on Israel are returned.

The poll found 61 percent of respondents support a cease-fire only after those conditions are met, while 39 percent support an unconditional cease-fire.

by Anonymousreply 81May 7, 2024 12:47 AM

The pro-Bibi, Israel fringe on this thread can't stand the fact that the tide is turning against Israel with regard to American foreign policy, and the rest of the western world is, too.

And a huge swath of the country is pro-Trump, so I'm not sure how much stock you could take in a majority of Americans suporting Israel. But there are a lot of right-wing Jews on this thread, so they're probably ready to vote for Trump in the next election.

by Anonymousreply 82May 7, 2024 12:49 AM

[quote] can't stand the fact that the tide is turning against Israel with regard to American foreign policy, and the rest of the western world is, too.

Um, no they're not.

by Anonymousreply 83May 7, 2024 12:53 AM

There is no groundswell of support for pro-Palestinan protests. You're dealing with .00001 percent of all college students ts in the US.

The opposite is true. There is growing opposition to these disruptive and destructive protests. See Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 84May 7, 2024 12:55 AM

Um, yes, they are, R84.

Biden is changing his approach to Israel because Bibi is so outrageous. And God knows Europe has already turned that tide.

by Anonymousreply 85May 7, 2024 12:57 AM

Most Americans find the protests to be disruptive and destructive as r84 said. The protesters are rightly seen as spoiled narcissistic brats who have no idea about the reality of the world. If they were sent to Gaza they wouldn't last five minutes.

r85 you're still wrong.

by Anonymousreply 86May 7, 2024 12:57 AM

For R83.

by Anonymousreply 87May 7, 2024 12:57 AM

[quote] Unless you take even one conservative position or a Jew.

Take a Jew where?

by Anonymousreply 88May 7, 2024 1:02 AM

Yeah Americans just LOVE this kind of shit. This is Central Park.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89May 7, 2024 1:49 AM

If you walk out of your job being tenured don't mean shit. You have to actually show up to work to keep your position.

by Anonymousreply 90May 7, 2024 1:54 AM

Hamas agrees to ceasefire, Israel refuses. Continue bombing civilians.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91May 7, 2024 1:56 AM

They're fucking cockroaches r89

by Anonymousreply 92May 7, 2024 1:56 AM

How is Israel expected to agree the the cease fire agreement if the basic tenants are not being met?

by Anonymousreply 93May 7, 2024 2:02 AM

Burn it down!!

by Anonymousreply 94May 7, 2024 2:05 AM

Tensions were high at Harvard and MIT Monday as the schools threatened to crack down on groups camping out as part of ongoing pro-Palestinian protests across the country.

Harvard University said Monday that the people who have been camped out on Harvard Yard for over a week in a pro-Palestinian protest face being placed on involuntary leave, which, among other things, would require them to leave campus until they are reinstated.

MIT's president made a similar announced Monday, giving protesters a 2:30 p.m. deadline to leave or face suspensions. Video from the scene just before the deadline showed police in neon safety vests entering the encampment. Some protesters tried to push them back, leading to a small clash near the entrance. The pushing and shoving went on for about a minute before it stopped.

There were multiple groups gathered at MIT by late afternoon. Several people tried to get into a building, but police brought them out around 3:50 p.m. Meanwhile another group of more than 100 protesters began walking down Mass. Ave., blocking the roadway.

Many of the protesters blocking Mass. Ave. were high school students who had traveled to the area to join the chorus of voices at colleges protesting the war in Gaza.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95May 7, 2024 2:08 AM

High schoolers now. More "Right wing agitators" I'm sure. LOL.

Anyway, hopefully it's all cleared up tonight. Israel is going to start its next phase soon.

by Anonymousreply 96May 7, 2024 2:10 AM

R93 its tenets. Not tenants. Ceasefires require compromise. Even Hamas are more eager to compromise for peace than Israel is.

by Anonymousreply 97May 7, 2024 3:06 AM

There is no peace with Hamas, R97.

by Anonymousreply 98May 7, 2024 3:08 AM

Hamas negotiates in as much good faith as North Korea in 1952

by Anonymousreply 99May 7, 2024 3:14 AM

This is the deal? Notice nothing about Hamas actually ceasefiring?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100May 7, 2024 3:18 AM

What at the OP's link says that any of the Chicago faculty have "walked out" of their jobs.?

They're [italic]speaking[/italic] out, but is anyone literally [italic]walking[/italic] out of their job: that is, refusing to continue with their teaching duties for the rest of the semester? (And bear in mind there's just another week left to the semester anyway.)

And no, just missing one day of class is not an offense that even a non-tenured professor would be or could be fired for. People cancel a day's class all the time.

by Anonymousreply 101May 7, 2024 3:21 AM

[quote]Anyone who protests US support for the Israeli ethnic cleanser state

Right. Israel is the ethnic cleanser state where 20% of the population is Arab Muslim with positions of government and Mosques to worship in. Meanwhile of the 127 million Muslims in the Middle East, how many of their countries accept other religions and ethnicities like Jewish people?

by Anonymousreply 102May 7, 2024 6:08 AM

The protests are not swayIng public opinion against Israel. The majority of the country see children of the elite play acting. Obviously that majority is mostly MAGA but plenty of Dems feel that way too. The protest leaders also seem like the most fucked up of the bunch so that doesn’t help either.

by Anonymousreply 103May 7, 2024 6:26 AM

…sees..

by Anonymousreply 104May 7, 2024 6:27 AM

Yassss

by Anonymousreply 105May 7, 2024 6:31 AM

R102, on top of what you said, Arab Israelis have full citizenship rights and would rather live in Israel than under Hamas or Palestinian authority.

by Anonymousreply 106May 7, 2024 6:40 AM

[quote] What do you mean, "Yes, really," OP? And why shouldn't they? They have as much right to protest as any others protected by the First Amendment. And protesting professors isn't a new concept, dear.

It’s against their contract. Per the report, they were risking arrest.

by Anonymousreply 107May 7, 2024 9:11 AM

There is a big difference between protesting and disrupting traffic, destroying property, disrupting religious and cultural events, attacking people. making threatening and inciting remarks and chants, preventing the peaceful gathering for classes and other events. and, most egregious, targeting Jews and preventing them access to their campus. This all should have been stopped months ago!

by Anonymousreply 108May 10, 2024 7:05 PM

Blatant Jew hatred, calls for the genocide of Jews, burning Americans flags, replacing American flags with Palestinian flags, all the while shouting Death to America! Is not going to win hearts and minds. It is impossible to do so because their position is based on lies, violence and religious and political ideology, not reality.

by Anonymousreply 109May 10, 2024 7:19 PM

[quote] It’s against their contract.

No, it is not.

You have no proof of that. You're just pulling things out of your ass.

by Anonymousreply 110May 10, 2024 7:22 PM

Give it time, the indoctrinated, uninformed and uneducated fools are soon to turn against their professors, it is just a matter of time until the people manipulating them all decide it is time for it to happen. Trust me, it will happen, it always does.

by Anonymousreply 111May 10, 2024 8:01 PM

Oh, we absolutely trust you, all right!

You sound so neutral and so non-ideologically driven!

by Anonymousreply 112May 10, 2024 8:02 PM

Don't trust me, R112. I historically informed.

by Anonymousreply 113May 10, 2024 8:09 PM

The encampment was torn down on Tuesday, so what are these dumb professors going to do about it?

by Anonymousreply 114May 10, 2024 8:10 PM

[quote]Give it time, the indoctrinated, uninformed and uneducated fools are soon to turn against their professors, it is just a matter of time until the people manipulating them all decide it is time for it to happen. Trust me, it will happen, it always does.

That already happened when the 'wokes' (i.e. far-left) turned against the Jews post-October.

In the latter 20th century (post-WW2), it was the Marxist Jews in academia (and later Hollywood/Broadway) who started all this anti-white/anti-America/anti-West propaganda.

Little did they realize it would come back to bite them in the ass!

by Anonymousreply 115May 10, 2024 8:16 PM

How exactly is a teacher walkout at a random midwestern university, even if it is University of Chicago, supposed to influence ME policy?

U of C might be a big deal in the US, but to most of the rest of the world, it may as well be University of Phoenix.

by Anonymousreply 116May 10, 2024 8:39 PM

R115 As a Jew I agree with this. They started all this “no platforming”, post colonial, queer theory crap in academia and it’s coming to bite them back hard. Should have stuck to New Criticism, eh?

by Anonymousreply 117May 10, 2024 8:45 PM

I’d say that the Davos crowd knows full well what U of Chicago means, R116.

by Anonymousreply 118May 10, 2024 9:32 PM

Most of those screeching about "Palestine" on college campuses are non-voters, so mathematically their opinions don't matter. They weren't going to vote then and they're certainly not going to vote now. Fuck 'em.

People who want peace just as much, but are choosing to place the majority of blame on the Palestinians/Hamas (basically the same, don't kid yourself) are voting in large numbers, and they are voting for Joe Biden.

by Anonymousreply 119May 10, 2024 9:34 PM

How dare they stand up for a just cause!

by Anonymousreply 120May 10, 2024 9:37 PM

I've said this before in other threads, it is not about the Palestinians, trans rights, or black lives mattering, or diversity equity and inclusion, it is about destabilization and destruction of capitalism and the West. This is the goal at the core of the Democratic Socialists of America and progressives. They say so all the time. Their march through the institutions has been a resounding success. It hasn't really gotten real yet, so buckle up.

by Anonymousreply 121May 10, 2024 9:42 PM

DSA LOL

by Anonymousreply 122May 10, 2024 9:47 PM

Riddled with informants. Sub-Trotskyite bums.

by Anonymousreply 123May 10, 2024 9:47 PM

DSA, yeah it is a big joke.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124May 10, 2024 9:53 PM

They’re no Debs.

by Anonymousreply 125May 10, 2024 10:10 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!