Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Who is your favorite TCM HOST? Ignore the thread without a poll.

I love three of them, like one a lot, and hate the other one. When that one comes on, I turn the channel.

by Anonymousreply 11May 7, 2024 7:37 PM

Well I've started another thread no one is interested in. Over an hour and no responses.

by Anonymousreply 1May 6, 2024 3:14 PM

Mankiewicz has really relaxed and mellowed. When he first started, appearing with Robert Osborne, I remember he was constantly tossing a baseball up and down. Was he trying to tell us all he was straight?

by Anonymousreply 2May 6, 2024 4:55 PM

I greatly miss Robert Osborne (who doesn't?). He had the perfect demeanor for that role. He knew everything but he wasn't a show-off, and he was kind and avuncular. And he had a nice sense of humor about himself.

by Anonymousreply 3May 6, 2024 5:20 PM

The other day Ben did an intro for Rebecca and I was only vaguely listening but I could've sworn he said he always imagined Rebecca being played by J. Lo.

by Anonymousreply 4May 6, 2024 6:18 PM

Ben is a great host. I used to watch TCM illegally over those "watch TV online free" websites but can't find a good one anymore. Anyone got a link to hook me up? I just use HBO Max which has a TCM section but no introduction or constant invitations to the TCM Wine Club or whatever silly nonsense they try to sell us.

by Anonymousreply 5May 6, 2024 6:48 PM

I miss Robert Osborne too. Although I like Ben the bucket full of them don’t have the charm of Robert Osborne. And where I felt Osborne was a real film fan who then made it into a job these new hosts seen like film students who got a job. There is a quality of detachment about them. Osborne made me feel like he was going to sit and watch the film with me. That’s a great host.

by Anonymousreply 6May 6, 2024 9:04 PM

I like all of them equally, but I also miss Robert Osborne. Jacqueline Stewart did a terrific introduction to GWTW after the George Floyd protests. It would have been nice to see him with such an accomplished team.

by Anonymousreply 7May 6, 2024 11:13 PM

They are all very good. Alecia Malone is just delightful.

I also really admire Eddie Muller’s excellent commentary on Noir Alley. So good. I always watch, and with his detailed commentary, films I have seen before feel new again because I watch for different things. It’s great.

by Anonymousreply 8May 6, 2024 11:52 PM

The really gay one - Dave K - reminds me of a friend discussing movies over brunch.

by Anonymousreply 9May 7, 2024 1:03 AM

I’m enjoying their ad recreating the “chicken game” from Rebel without a Cause. The way Dave crosses his fingers, desperately trying to channel Sal Mineo, Alice doing her best Natalie Wood, Ben trying to do the James Dean hair thing, Jacqueline throwing shade without saying a word, and Eddie with his martini. Who’s the guy driving solo in the other car? Some car hop? Some drrress extra!

by Anonymousreply 10May 7, 2024 3:36 AM

While eating fries from your plate.

by Anonymousreply 11May 7, 2024 7:37 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!