Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why didn't reverend Alden teach the Walnut Grove townsfolk new hymns? Were they all simple?

All the ever sang was "Bringing in the Sheaves," which happens to be one of the dumbest hymns ever.

by Anonymousreply 21May 7, 2024 3:37 AM

We always include relevant/contextual links of some sort in posts such as this, OP. Do better.

by Anonymousreply 1May 6, 2024 1:10 PM

Stfu, r1.

by Anonymousreply 2May 6, 2024 1:12 PM

This is the only clip I could find, r1. It's an old show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3May 6, 2024 4:49 PM

It was the only song with lyrics that poor retarded Carrie could remember.

by Anonymousreply 4May 6, 2024 4:53 PM

🎶 go tell aunt rhody

That Jesus Christ is dead 🎶

by Anonymousreply 5May 6, 2024 4:54 PM

[quote]R2 elsewhere: Eldergays what do you prioritize above all else at the stage of life you are currently in? I love my human family, but my pets give me 100% joy.

They call the dumb animals for a reason, twat.

by Anonymousreply 6May 6, 2024 4:58 PM

So why are they bringing in sheaves anyway? Makes no sense.

by Anonymousreply 7May 6, 2024 5:04 PM

The hymn "Bringing in the Sheaves" is based on the King James Version of Psalm 126: “He that goeth forth and weepeth, bearing precious seed, shall doubtless come again with rejoicing, bringing his sheaves with him.” It's about the most inoffensive, non-denominational hymn out there; "Amazing Grace" runs a close second.

Reverend Alden later went on to become Pastor in Mayberry, NC as well as the Simpson's Springfield.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8May 6, 2024 5:07 PM

Because it looks like rain, R7.

by Anonymousreply 9May 6, 2024 5:08 PM

I do think they could have done with some rollicking negro spirituals to liven things up.

by Anonymousreply 10May 6, 2024 5:08 PM

Bringing in the Sheaves is a hymn that doesn’t specifically mention God so that’s probably why the producers chose it.

Bringing in the Sheaves was written in 1880 so it makes you wonder how everyone in Walnut Grove knew it, since it would have been a brand new hymn probably first introduced in larger churches and tent meetings.

by Anonymousreply 11May 6, 2024 5:17 PM

OP obviously missed the later years when Reverend Alden would have the congregation sing disco classics like "You Sexy Thing" and "Got to be Real." It was anachronistic, perhaps, but boy did it shake things up in that church.

by Anonymousreply 12May 6, 2024 5:23 PM

They sang “Onward. Christian Soldiers” when banishing the bullies from town AND when they blew up the town.

by Anonymousreply 13May 6, 2024 5:25 PM

The producers did not shy away from mentions of god. Remember the hamfisted episode with Charles building theater in the wilderness to save James’s life?

Or the Christmas episode with the children lost in the blizzard and at the end, a woman is mourning the death of her husband and Charles reads out loud about the birth of Christ in the Bible as if that somehow made it better.

by Anonymousreply 14May 6, 2024 5:28 PM

Building *the altar.

by Anonymousreply 15May 6, 2024 5:29 PM

They later went on to sing "In the Garden of Eden" by I. Ron Butterfly:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16May 6, 2024 11:56 PM

[quote] The producers did not shy away from mentions of god.

Half-Pint even actually got to meet one of God's angels, played by none other than Ernest Borgnine, when her jealous wishes for her infant brother, Charles Ingalls, Jr., to drop dead were unfortunately realized. In shame and guilt she ran away to the mountains (of which there are so many in Minnesota), where she met the angelic Borgnine, who taught her all about God's mercy and self-forgiveness, if not about how to annoy Ethel Merman with a Dutch oven.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17May 7, 2024 3:02 AM

[quote]where she met the angelic Borgnine, who taught her all about God's mercy and self-forgiveness

He should have fixed her teeth instead.

by Anonymousreply 18May 7, 2024 3:24 AM

This thread has me screaming with laughter.

Sobbing and shaking!!

by Anonymousreply 19May 7, 2024 3:26 AM

[quote]Remember the hamfisted episode with Charles building theater in the wilderness to save James’s life?

Did the theater show nudie lantern pictures? Did they allow Injuns in or was it segregated? Lap dances cost one chicken or two baskets of eggs? I bet Doc Baker and Mr. Olson went. On Saturday night, most of Mankato was there.

by Anonymousreply 20May 7, 2024 3:35 AM

Half Pint needed a cunt punch.

by Anonymousreply 21May 7, 2024 3:37 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!