Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why was Richard Benjamin in every movie from the late 60s to the mid-70s?

He's a terrible actor and very unattractive. hat was so great about him that he got so many lead roles?

by Anonymousreply 32May 6, 2024 3:34 PM

It was his hat that so great about him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1May 6, 2024 2:44 AM

If you couldn't afford Hoffman, you settled for Benjamin.

by Anonymousreply 2May 6, 2024 2:45 AM

ding ding ding R2 lol

by Anonymousreply 3May 6, 2024 2:48 AM

I never minded him but he always seemed gay.

by Anonymousreply 4May 6, 2024 2:56 AM

He's brilliant in Diary of a Mad Housewife. Otherwise? Meh.

by Anonymousreply 5May 6, 2024 2:58 AM

Way harsh, OP. I loved [italic]He & She[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 6May 6, 2024 3:05 AM

He paved the way for Seinfeld and other minimally attractive Jewish men.

by Anonymousreply 7May 6, 2024 3:21 AM

I liked him in Westworld,

by Anonymousreply 8May 6, 2024 3:23 AM

I liked him in The Last of Sheila. But I liked everyone in that. Joan Hackett died way too young. Loved her in just about everything she did. And she was magnificent in The Last of Sheila.

by Anonymousreply 9May 6, 2024 3:37 AM

I liked Joan Hackett. I thought she deserved the Oscar over Maureen Stapleton.

by Anonymousreply 10May 6, 2024 3:40 AM

[quote] He paved the way for Seinfeld

Which He & She also did for the entire MTM aesthetic. Clever and ahead of its time.

by Anonymousreply 11May 6, 2024 3:47 AM

I usually found him and Alan Alda similarly annoying as actors, but when they switched to directing, Benjamin at least did "My Favorite Year," which was better than anything Alda churned out.

by Anonymousreply 12May 6, 2024 3:54 AM

Face down, ass up, and he was quite open about it.

by Anonymousreply 13May 6, 2024 4:14 AM

[quote]If you couldn't afford Hoffman, you settled for Benjamin.

Or Elliott Gould

by Anonymousreply 14May 6, 2024 4:26 AM

No, Elliott Gould was a star. An inexplicable star but a star nonetheless.

by Anonymousreply 15May 6, 2024 4:30 AM

Sorry ... I meant for Elliott to go in the first part -- If you couldn't get Hoffman or Gould, you settled for Benjamin.

by Anonymousreply 16May 6, 2024 4:33 AM

Gotcha.

by Anonymousreply 17May 6, 2024 5:00 AM

If you could get Gould, you go for Sharif.

by Anonymousreply 18May 6, 2024 5:38 AM

[quote]I usually found him and Alan Alda similarly annoying as actors, but when they switched to directing, Benjamin at least did "My Favorite Year," which was better than anything Alda churned out.

He also did "The Money PIt" which is nearly a perfect comedy. I always wondered why he didn't direct more.

by Anonymousreply 19May 6, 2024 6:01 AM

Hollywood was always promoting the Jews.

by Anonymousreply 20May 6, 2024 6:37 AM

“In 70s realism, acting styles required actors who looked the part rather than those who merely fit the role. Richard Benjamin, an everyman actor, conveyed a certain self-reflection and neuroticism. I appreciated his acting, although some performances occasionally veered into detachment. This deviation makes sense, especially considering that he later became a director. These actors were immersed in the teachings of influential acting schools such as the Lee Strasberg Institute, Uta Hagen’s Studio, and Meisner. Meanwhile, 70s filmmakers deliberately rejected Hollywood conventions, leading to the rise of location shooting. Richard Benjamin, from Northwestern University, benefited as he was in the right place at the right time.”

by Anonymousreply 21May 6, 2024 7:01 AM

He seemed short, even for an actor.

by Anonymousreply 22May 6, 2024 7:14 AM

He's over six feet tall, R22. Paula Prentiss is very tall, and he's taller than she is.

I like him a great deal in some things, not so much in others. "Withholding and detached," said above, is the perfect description.

by Anonymousreply 23May 6, 2024 8:31 AM

[quote]R22 He seemed short, even for an actor.

[quote]R23 He's over six feet tall, [R22]. Paula Prentiss is very tall, and he's taller than she is.

WOW! I’m shocked. If you’d said he was 5’5” I’d have believed it. He’s so undynamic he comes across as shrunken.

by Anonymousreply 24May 6, 2024 9:09 AM

Benjamin was also great in Catch 22.

R15 Altman knew how to get great performances out of Gould. MASH and especially The Long Goodbye come to mind. I hater TLG at first but I have come around. Gould is great as a man not of his time, who the world sees as disposable.

by Anonymousreply 25May 6, 2024 11:17 AM

As a director he is like Alan Smithee. When a production is in trouble they call Richard. He is especially good with prima donna actors because he lets them have their way. eg. Cher on Mermaids.

by Anonymousreply 26May 6, 2024 11:21 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27May 6, 2024 2:45 PM

[quote] As a director he is like Alan Smithee.

I that a joke?

He was very good in Goodbye, Columbus. And The Sunshine Boys.

He attended a performing arts high school and Northwestern. That was the extent of his study afaik.

by Anonymousreply 28May 6, 2024 2:56 PM

He took his clothes off. I liked that.

by Anonymousreply 29May 6, 2024 3:01 PM

Loved watching "He and She' as a kid.

Richard Benjamin and Paula Prentiss married in 1961 and they're still together:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30May 6, 2024 3:16 PM

Awww, honestly thought they were both gone. Loved Paula in anything she did -- "I thought we were friends" -- And Benjamin was good too, underrated. They both had that comic deadpan style. She was beautiful but didn't know it. Appealing couple. Nice to know they're still hanging out.

by Anonymousreply 31May 6, 2024 3:32 PM

Unfortunately Paula's plastic surgeries and weird clothes make her look awful now.

by Anonymousreply 32May 6, 2024 3:34 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!