Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Gen X was supposed to be the laid back generation

What happened, here? The vast majority of uppity, tight-assed Karens/Kevins are Gen X. Is it their kids (Gen Z) driving them to this? Y'all were cool in the 90s with ripped jeans, plaid shirts, and MTV. Now, most of your are miserable, entitled, Trump-supporting (yes, the voting data supports this), harpies and your offspring have effectively ruined the internet for everyone. You can presently find them brainlessly destroying university property over a cause they know fuck-all about while donning red, black, white, and red face-paint.

Where did you go wrong with your kids, Gen X? Even you childless Gen X aunts and uncles of DL. Why is your sibling failing in this area?

Rant over.

by Anonymousreply 109May 17, 2024 4:48 AM

That other color should be *green. I wrote this in a tizzy.

by Anonymousreply 1April 30, 2024 2:50 PM

Generation X became helicopter parents and then they became Karen.

This is the obvious reaction to having children. Their own parents ignored them, they were the latchkey kids, referring to the mother not being at home to open the door for them when they were at school. Therefore they become the opposite.

by Anonymousreply 2April 30, 2024 2:54 PM

Hey dumb fuck OP. Most of us here don’t have kids and we’re certainly not Karens or vote for Trump, Take this shit to your fucking sewing circle, ma’am.

by Anonymousreply 3April 30, 2024 2:58 PM

r2 This has to be it. Gen X became the "doing too much" generation because their parents didn't do enough and basically ignored them.

[quote]Most of us here

r3 DL ain't the entire country, babes.

by Anonymousreply 4April 30, 2024 3:22 PM

Also, r3, can you not read? I'm clearly referring to the "royal you" in the OP

[quote]Even you childless Gen X aunts and uncles of DL. Why is your sibling failing in this area?

by Anonymousreply 5April 30, 2024 3:23 PM

[quote]Gen X was supposed to be the laid back generation

According to what, a couple of stupid articles and movies from over 30 years ago?

Are you also vexed when people behave in a way that doesn't align with their astrological sign?

by Anonymousreply 6April 30, 2024 3:38 PM

Per wiki

The term latchkey kid became commonplace in the 1970s and 1980s to describe members of Generation X who, according to a 2004 marketing study, "went through its all-important, formative years as one of the least parented, least nurtured generations in U.S. history." Latchkey kids were prevalent during this time, a result of increased divorce rates and increased maternal participation in the workforce at a time before childcare options outside the home were widely available.[6][7][8][9] These latchkey children, referred to as "day orphans" in the 1984 documentary, To Save Our Children to Save Our Schools, mainly came from middle or upper-class homes. The higher the educational attainment of the parents, the higher the odds the children of this time would be latchkey kids.[10][11]

by Anonymousreply 7April 30, 2024 3:49 PM

latchkey kids. neglected and ignored

by Anonymousreply 8April 30, 2024 4:06 PM

If they're Trump-supporting as you say, their kids destroying college campuses and doing those things you don't like didn't get their politics from them...

by Anonymousreply 9April 30, 2024 4:13 PM

I was a free-range kid from the '50s and our moms always made us go outside and play. We didn't have emotional breakdowns because our mothers didn't want us around we didn't want our mothers around either. In the early 60s my mom went to work and I was a latchkey kid for the two hours between when I got out of school and my parents came home from work. Most latchkey kids were only alone for a few hours a day. I always enjoyed those two hours I was home alone.

by Anonymousreply 10April 30, 2024 4:43 PM

Op is suckin’ air up his ass.

by Anonymousreply 11April 30, 2024 4:45 PM

[quote]If they're Trump-supporting as you say, their kids destroying college campuses and doing those things you don't like didn't get their politics from them...

r9 Thank you for informing me that kids always follow in the footsteps and beliefs of their parents. I forgot how obedient kids are, especially as teens and young adults.

I take it our fellow DLers raised by super strict conservative Catholic parents all stayed that way. Every last one of them.

by Anonymousreply 12April 30, 2024 5:45 PM

OP is Miss TeaCakes again. Punch and delete.

by Anonymousreply 13April 30, 2024 7:56 PM

r13 Incorrect.

by Anonymousreply 14April 30, 2024 8:42 PM

They’re responsible for the Zoomers.

by Anonymousreply 15April 30, 2024 9:08 PM

[quote] Hey dumb fuck OP. Most of us here don’t have kids and we’re certainly not Karens or vote for Trump

MAGAts are made up of Gen X’ers, you idiot.

by Anonymousreply 16April 30, 2024 9:09 PM

I don't know how much it means r12. Rebellion against one's parents' political beliefs is commonplace and probably healthy but I don't see the college protesters as evidence their parents are trumpers. There is enough statistical evidence to suggest it.

by Anonymousreply 17April 30, 2024 10:00 PM

R15: Older millennials also share like 25% of the blame for Gen Z's parenting.

by Anonymousreply 18April 30, 2024 10:04 PM

The voting data does not actually support that, OP. Thanks for demonstrating that poor critical thinking, wild generalizations, and scapegoating do not respect generational boundaries. Maybe someone as high strung as you shouldn’t be the judge of who is “laid back.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19April 30, 2024 10:07 PM

Life will kick the laid back right outta you.

by Anonymousreply 20April 30, 2024 10:17 PM

r20 I feel like this is the only acceptable answer.

by Anonymousreply 21April 30, 2024 11:03 PM

The biggest mistake that Gen X made was not going after Baby Boomers, but thinking that they could after Millennials at the same time.

They fucked up big time.

by Anonymousreply 22May 7, 2024 10:13 PM

We do this shit over and over and over again, here, but really everywhere. We keep looking at current 20 somethings and make grandiloquent statements about what they are like and how they are uniquely like that and how nobody has ever been like that before. And then they get into their 30s and 40s and 50s and change, and we all go through this stupid fake shock that OMG they are different! How did that happen. How did this group change like every other fucking group in human history? What is THAT about?

by Anonymousreply 23May 7, 2024 10:19 PM

FUCK YOU, OP!!! I AM VERY CALM AND LAID BACK!!!!

by Anonymousreply 24May 7, 2024 10:22 PM

Gen X didn’t “create” Gen Z. Cell phones and social media did.

by Anonymousreply 25May 7, 2024 10:22 PM

Gen X can go ahead and suck a big smelly hairy pussy for all I care.

They LOVE to talk shit.

And they can't handle it when others talk shit about all of their many character flaws

by Anonymousreply 26May 7, 2024 10:25 PM

I wonder what it must feel like to be an irrelevant, passed-over generation?

I hope they're prepping Gen Z for that very same feeling.

by Anonymousreply 27May 7, 2024 10:54 PM

Out of all the generations, Gen X is my favorite. They have the best sense of humor. I’ve never met an uptight/MAGA Gen Xer. I don’t know what OP is whining about.

by Anonymousreply 28May 7, 2024 11:06 PM

R28 = Gen X

by Anonymousreply 29May 7, 2024 11:13 PM

R28 = Gen X in millennial sheep's clothing.

by Anonymousreply 30May 7, 2024 11:17 PM

OP, we're fine. We send our love!

by Anonymousreply 31May 7, 2024 11:41 PM

Gen X CANNOT STAND that there are some things that Millennials do better.

They're like Marcia Brady in the episode where Jan is a better worker at the ice cream parlor.

by Anonymousreply 32May 7, 2024 11:49 PM

Was the latch key aspect really that traumatizing? I remember just thinking it was normal and no big deal. I mean, our parents (generally) still came home eventually. I'm surprised that Gen Xers didn't want to raise their kids the same - with more independence and less helicoptering. Obviously other things changed that don't have anything to so with Gen X upbringing specifically - like the internet, 24/7 info, and call phones followed by smartphones - all causes or enablers of helicoptering. But, even that's probably an incomplete explanation.

by Anonymousreply 33May 8, 2024 12:04 AM

^cell phones

by Anonymousreply 34May 8, 2024 12:05 AM

R33 those motherfuckers were the very definition of helicopter parents.

And then they try to pass it off like we were helicopter-patented when we actually weren’t?

Projection at its pinnacle.

by Anonymousreply 35May 8, 2024 12:25 AM

Or gaslighting, as the kids call it these days

by Anonymousreply 36May 8, 2024 12:26 AM

Gen X decided that making an enemy of Millennials was their great big chess move.

It remains to be seen how that works out for them.

by Anonymousreply 37May 8, 2024 12:38 AM

The boomers stressed them, running them on the treadmill till they turned on each other. Perfect.

by Anonymousreply 38May 8, 2024 1:04 AM

In the list of mistakes that they made, deciding that they want to go toe-to-toe with Millennials may actually go down in history as their biggest misstep.

by Anonymousreply 39May 8, 2024 1:07 AM

I’m Gen X and a former latch key kid. None of my friends of my generation are Karens or Kevins (which are actually late Boomer names). Most of us don’t give a shit about anything except ourselves. Those I know with kids are decidedly NOT helicopter parents, had kids when they were older, and are the odd ones out. They aren’t raising their spawn to be entitled assholes.

by Anonymousreply 40May 8, 2024 1:32 AM

Gen X had to do a lot for themselves and probably experienced the most massive technological and convenience shift. We went from LPs to Cassettes to CDs to MP3 to streaming. Computers, cell phones..all of it. Those who came after us grew up with it and took it for granted. Just a few years ago I had to write a three-page proposal on why I should be allowed to work from home two days a week, now the next-gen folks expect to be able to work from home permanently. It's the old, when I was your age I walked to school in the snow for three miles syndrome. Each generation coming after the previous one has it easier and there is resentment. Flower children called the people of the 50s squares, the disco generation called them hippies and weirdos. The 80s generations of excess declared disco dead and so on. It is an age-old cycle that just repeats.

by Anonymousreply 41May 8, 2024 1:49 AM

[quote] In the list of mistakes that they made, deciding that they want to go toe-to-toe with Millennials may actually go down in history as their biggest misstep.

OP has about a half-dozen “I hate Gen X” threads working at once. Same sad, lonely, moronic tone in each.

He’s very similar in inexplicable hatred and poor wordsmithing as the I Hate Emily Blunt Troll, who appeared at the same time.

Not a coincidence.

by Anonymousreply 42May 8, 2024 2:00 AM

R41 - Digital Native/Digital Immigrant

by Anonymousreply 43May 8, 2024 2:27 AM

Gen Xer here, OP. Born in 1970. Childless, with one dog and one cat. Have never and will never Republican in my life. Introverted peacemaker who appreciates Buddhist ideas.

by Anonymousreply 44May 8, 2024 2:37 AM

As a Gen X-er. I've always been frustrated with my peers. I came of age watching Brat Pack movies and HATED the classic entitled DICKS played by actors like James Spader in "Pretty In Pink" and Haviland Morris in "Sixteen Candles." I thought we'd all be on the same page in that regard, but I was of the misapprehension that my B- or C-list status would fade with time.

In middle age, I generally circulate among people who share my views. While my adult friends come from diverse backgrounds, we were typically all misfits in our youth. In our adult lives, we all have strong volunteerism and social justice tendencies. I've watched former close friends peel off, consuming conservative media, deteriorating into cynicism and the "intellectual ease" of populism. Most of my former classmates cannot think for themselves. I doubt many read books. Even the educators among them are astonishingly dependent on regurgitating the opinions of others.

The Reagan years produced a lot of young assholes. I graduated HS in a small city district, though our family home was rural suburban (basically the bedroom community of a declining, midsize rust belt city) and my class size was almost 500. I went to ONE class reunion - my 25th - and was floored to learn how many of my classmates had great-grandchildren already (the same who gave side-eye when I introduced them to my then-boyfriend). At the 25-year mark, I was aware of six classmates who were out: four men and two women. One guy (closeted in HS, from the other side of the school district) moved to NYC after graduation and died of AIDS before he was 22. Another guy, a ten-year Navy veteran, swore he didn't serve so that people could grow up to disrespect America (he was a sibilant fatass in HS, hadn't changed a tick - I've no idea how he made it through the gay ban or DADT). One, the only guy I'd consider a friend, moved to the West Coast and wasn't in attendance. He remains my only (other) remaining middle-left L/G classmate. One girl (works for Home Depot, mows lawns for neighbors, and has a cane-wielding partner 20 years her senior) posts fiercely Republican claptrap on FB. The other girl was and remains out of my orbit.

Should I get the urge to attend another HS reunion, I'll just watch Trainspotting for that fuzzy sense of recherché.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45May 8, 2024 4:53 AM

r44 Pretty much what you said. Never ever a republican, never ever a Karen/Ken.

by Anonymousreply 46May 8, 2024 12:08 PM

r44, same here, everyone I know of my generation.

by Anonymousreply 47May 8, 2024 12:12 PM

^ Same here. 55 and just trying to stay afloat, not stir up any MAGA *&^%.

by Anonymousreply 48May 9, 2024 7:03 PM

They're so proud of their little Gen Z shits, too!!!!

by Anonymousreply 49May 10, 2024 12:59 PM

Fuck Gen X.

It's about time they got their well earned comeuppance

by Anonymousreply 50May 10, 2024 1:01 PM

R50, such a fragile creature. It’s ok. Show us on the doll where Ben Affleck touched you.

by Anonymousreply 51May 10, 2024 1:29 PM

They touched me on my dirty filthy latchkey R51!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 52May 10, 2024 2:09 PM

The last good generation. Now its all hipsters, pronouns, fad hoppers. No more dreams of cool endeavors... no more pop culture... its all dead now. Just substanceless trash.

by Anonymousreply 53May 10, 2024 2:18 PM

It will be funny if the job of POTUS totally skips the Gen X generation. Obama was late Boomer, Trump early boomer, and Biden pre-boomer. In 2028, depending on the candidates, we could get a millennial as they’re in their 30s-40s now.

by Anonymousreply 54May 10, 2024 2:27 PM

R54 That would be hilarious and would serve them right.

They wanted to be the Meh We're Too Cool To Care Whatever generation.

All right then? Don't get mad when people actually take you for your word and skip over you for people who actually DO care!

by Anonymousreply 55May 10, 2024 2:51 PM

[quote] Gen Z is an entire generation who will literally own the world

The larger millennial generation will NEVER allow that to happen.

by Anonymousreply 56May 10, 2024 2:54 PM

Whatever. We're too cool to care.

by Anonymousreply 57May 10, 2024 3:04 PM

R55 Gen X is not getting a president, btw.

Who do they think they're going to pull out of their rabbit's hat in their twilight years?

If they had a great candidate, they would have already pushed them a long time ago. But they keep voting for ancient baby boomers. Oh well. Too bad for them , I guess?

by Anonymousreply 58May 10, 2024 3:08 PM

I suspect Boomers and Millennials have a bit more resiliancy than Gen X'ers and Zoomers because they were both fortunate enough to have experienced their formative years during periods of relative economic and political stability.

by Anonymousreply 59May 10, 2024 3:09 PM

Someone had a pubic hair on their avocado toast this morning.

by Anonymousreply 60May 10, 2024 3:55 PM

Well, this Gen Xer in the below video still colors her hair and hilariously tells it like it is. I will concede that it's obviously not all of you who are like I describe in the OP.

Also, I didn't know that they still made Everclear, nor do I understand why that is the case.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61May 12, 2024 4:52 AM

[quote] I went to ONE class reunion - my 25th - and was floored to learn how many of my classmates had great-grandchildren already

18 + 25 = 43 years old. How the hell can 43-year-olds be GREAT-grandparents? The only way I can see is if they're all having children at age 14. 14 X 3 = 41.

by Anonymousreply 62May 12, 2024 5:05 AM

Don't order from Domino's. They donate to Operation Rescue.

by Anonymousreply 63May 12, 2024 5:35 AM

Baby boomer lap dogs

by Anonymousreply 64May 12, 2024 9:29 AM

The Riot Grrrl to Karen pipeline is real

by Anonymousreply 65May 12, 2024 10:37 AM

They were never laid-back. They never deserved that reputation.

by Anonymousreply 66May 12, 2024 10:45 AM

they were called SLACKERS

by Anonymousreply 67May 12, 2024 10:49 AM

R67 they should have just been called ASSHOLES and baby boomer suck-ups

by Anonymousreply 68May 12, 2024 10:50 AM

OP, show us on the doll where Gen X hurt you.

by Anonymousreply 69May 12, 2024 11:02 AM

They're now old enough to move into The Villages.

by Anonymousreply 70May 12, 2024 11:24 AM

Ignore-dar ABSOLUTELY proves OP is TeaCrap.

by Anonymousreply 71May 12, 2024 11:39 AM

Hey Gen X, why do you love Trump so much?

by Anonymousreply 72May 12, 2024 11:40 AM

There is a meanness that is celebrated in coming age films from John Hughes and his ilk that reflects the mentality of the era and generation. It seemed like banter at the time, but now that bitter fruit has rottened with age. Like R45, most of my prior high school friends are now MAGA at worst or ‘both sides suck’ at best even the ‘laid back’, alternative, arty and fag hag ones. Only those of us who moved far away seem to have bucked the trend at least in my group. It may be more the one who stayed in their local crab bucket that fell onto the same cycle of becoming more conservative and bitter with age as did prior generations.

by Anonymousreply 73May 12, 2024 11:53 AM

I wonder what they're going to do when their masters, the Baby Boomers, are gone?

by Anonymousreply 74May 12, 2024 11:58 AM

The silent generation got Biden in. The oldest Xers are just now approaching 60. They still have a chance to make it to the White House.

by Anonymousreply 75May 12, 2024 12:01 PM

R75 Given the Gen X politicians that we have, let's hope not.

by Anonymousreply 76May 12, 2024 12:05 PM

Right, we don’t have compelling politicians

by Anonymousreply 77May 12, 2024 12:09 PM

R77 You mustn't.

Otherwise you probably would have already grabbed POTUS by now. But instead your generations are the biggest backers of Trump. Oh well, too bad so sad

by Anonymousreply 78May 12, 2024 12:11 PM

OP = boilerplate "provocative and nasty" opening gambit to garner attention and solicit responses. He is just as cynical and low brow as the Gen X he snarks about.

LE FUCKING SNORE.

by Anonymousreply 79May 12, 2024 12:13 PM

R79 why is Gen X so pro-Trump?

by Anonymousreply 80May 12, 2024 12:14 PM

As mentioned, rancid and super-processed Dollar Store Teacake commentary.

by Anonymousreply 81May 12, 2024 12:16 PM

R81 hey cunt. Your posting history shows you love to engage in shitting on other generations. Do you think your generation is above getting called out on their shit?

by Anonymousreply 82May 12, 2024 12:19 PM

R80 USA has impoverished and stunted political party system and political rhetoric. People from every generation support Trump.

by Anonymousreply 83May 12, 2024 12:20 PM

R82 what is my generation if you have trolldared me? Perhaps you have confused me with someone else. I don't go around shitting on generations. That lowbrow Internet gobbledegook "generations" sociology doesn't even attract me.

by Anonymousreply 84May 12, 2024 12:22 PM

R83 But Gen X is the most pro-Trump of them all. This is not an opinion. This is a fact. How exactly is it that they lean more MAGA than the Boomers?

by Anonymousreply 85May 12, 2024 12:25 PM

R85, it is not a fact. It is a mischaracterization made possible by redefining the generations to make Gen X start in 1960. Even using that standard, older generations are more MAGA.

Since you are spouting a lie, especially one that doesn’t have much significance even if true, I suggest you educate yourself. The link below shows the actual facts, and outlines how people like you got taken in by false data.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86May 12, 2024 12:31 PM

R86: You can't argue with hard numbers and data

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87May 12, 2024 12:34 PM

R87, try clicking on the article I posted at r86. It specifically addresses the Politico article you cite and explains why it is wrong. Which I said in my post.

You’re giving majorly ignorant vibes.

by Anonymousreply 88May 12, 2024 12:37 PM

Gen X may be a generation that with lots of "Trump" supporters, and why is that even interesting?

OP started off with the wild claim that Gen X "was supposed to be the laid back generation". Yet there is no support for this lazy hogwash rhetorical. It's not even defensible. It's just a sharting out of idiotic sociology speak.

by Anonymousreply 89May 12, 2024 12:38 PM

R89 your generation is also the most likely to be pro-life.

by Anonymousreply 90May 12, 2024 12:44 PM

R90 I see you have developed your keen democratic and political economy insights on crappy agglomerator click sites. BRAVO Dora Dumbfuck.

by Anonymousreply 91May 12, 2024 12:48 PM

R91 let's not be disingenuous. Your generation has always tilted conservative. In the year 2000, the very first time when all Gen Xers could vote, you all went for Bush at an age when most young people go left.

by Anonymousreply 92May 12, 2024 12:50 PM

You were also the original Young Republicans of the 1980s.

by Anonymousreply 93May 12, 2024 12:51 PM

Who are you talking to? With "your generation" - are you addressing me? What is my generation?

by Anonymousreply 94May 12, 2024 12:53 PM

R94 You're obviously Gen X because who the fuck else would even deign to defend them?

by Anonymousreply 95May 12, 2024 12:54 PM

And R84, you moron, I could post all of the little posts in your history dar where you shit on younger people if you'd like me to.

by Anonymousreply 96May 12, 2024 12:55 PM

Go ahead r96. See if we care.

by Anonymousreply 97May 12, 2024 1:14 PM

R97 we? Are there many inside of you?

by Anonymousreply 98May 12, 2024 1:21 PM

Hey wait a minute! I'm R84, and not R97. And I care and I'm disengaging now. This thread is a ratfuck with at least one troll and at least one sockpuppet. Teacake is insane.

by Anonymousreply 99May 12, 2024 1:23 PM

[quote] Hey Gen X, why do you love Trump so much?

For the majority of Gen X, their current standard of living is lower than the standard of living in which they were raised. They struggle to send their kids to college, have to deal with aging parents and cannot conceive of how they will retire. The gilded age of the 80s is no more.

Trump's politics of grievance and retribution against an imagined enemy appeals to them. They used to be my friends but are now just hateful shadows of their youthful selves.

by Anonymousreply 100May 12, 2024 1:38 PM

For a generation who claims to be all about authenticity, they sure have an unwillingness to own up about how they, as a group, vote.

by Anonymousreply 101May 12, 2024 2:41 PM

Biden is the most unpopular among Gen X

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102May 12, 2024 2:49 PM

r98 r99 r100 r101 r102

by Anonymousreply 103May 12, 2024 2:54 PM

R103

by Anonymousreply 104May 12, 2024 2:56 PM

r104

by Anonymousreply 105May 12, 2024 2:57 PM

R666 💀🤡

by Anonymousreply 106May 12, 2024 2:58 PM

R105

by Anonymousreply 107May 12, 2024 2:58 PM

GenX is also one of the smallest generations, so why get all bent? There are a shit ton more Boomers (hence the name BOOMER), and millennials.

Why not screech about THEM voting for the orange traitor? But no. They’re too busy fighting amongst themselves about who is better while shitting on GenX.

Get over yourselves. We have.

by Anonymousreply 108May 14, 2024 7:19 PM

r108 My mom is a Gen Xer. She was getting on my nerves the day I wrote this.

by Anonymousreply 109May 17, 2024 4:48 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!