Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

An Essay: I just don’t get Taylor Swift

I just don’t get Taylor Swift. There, I said it. It’s freeing to just … not care about something, isn’t it? When friends start to wax poetic about the Eras Tour or their favorite Taylor Swift song, I listen politely as if they were talking about professional darts or French cinema, and a feeling of peace washes over me.

However, the days of Taylor Swift as an ultimate cultural barometer may be waning. While Swift fans were thrilled with the release of her new double-length album (again, good for them!), critical reception was more mixed. Following the feverish media whirlwind of “The Eras Tour” and her impact on the NFL, people seem ready to talk about Swift in tones more tempered than slavering ardor or hardened, pointless hatred.

If you don’t love Taylor Swift, if you don’t hate her; if she is simply not something that affects your life whatsoever, it’s probably safe to come out now. Go, take your apathy, and be free.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33April 30, 2024 8:10 PM

I have never gotten something out of a Taylor Swift song about love, loss, heartbreak, revenge, shame or self-actualization that I couldn’t have gotten from dozens of other artists. It honestly feels like I missed a day in White woman class when they explained, in detail, all of the ley lines of feminine kinship that are supposed to connect our paths with hers.

by Anonymousreply 1April 25, 2024 8:20 PM

WhathatI, WhathatI, WhathatI done to deserve Taylor

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2April 25, 2024 8:25 PM

OP - someone types a dumbass text every half second. Very few of these texts deserved threads.

by Anonymousreply 3April 25, 2024 8:25 PM

I get her, that’s why I don’t like her.

Popular music has been based on urban R&B / hip-hop, gay culture, street / hip culture, even “punk rock” culture since the 2000’s.

Taylor Swift is anti-that. She’s not cool, she’s not hip, she was an upper middle class white girl from the suburbs and that’s who she speaks to.

That’s why a lot of people don’t get her or like her, she’s not for them.

She’s like Celine Dion and teenage Britney and Alanis Morissette rolled into one.

by Anonymousreply 4April 25, 2024 8:28 PM

No one over 30 is meant to 'get' Taylor.

Think about how boomers felt about Madonna in the '80s. She was everywhere and they didn't get the fuss.

Anyone 30+ into Taylor needs a life.

by Anonymousreply 5April 25, 2024 8:28 PM

R4 - and also Sheryl Crow

by Anonymousreply 6April 25, 2024 8:29 PM

R5 - I was 19 when her first album came out. She was born in 1989, I’m 1987, so she does have fans in their 30s.

Speaking of that era, there were white girls my age listening to Miley Cyrus and Hilary Duff and weren’t into Nelly Furtado and Gwen Stefani. Those girls I imagine are my age still listening to Taylor Swift lol.

by Anonymousreply 7April 25, 2024 8:32 PM

Taylor was very smart. She targeted white girls cause she was one. She knew to make country music because it was the only type of music parents would let little girls listen to amongst “My Humps” and “Maneater” and country was still a huge seller back then.

And then when the sinful Lady Gaga EDM started to wear off, she dropped “Red” that had her first crossover pop songs when those young girls were teenagers and finally allowed to not have to share the radio with their parents.

by Anonymousreply 8April 25, 2024 8:35 PM

Get thee to a blog, varlet!

by Anonymousreply 9April 25, 2024 8:37 PM

Who has never listened to a Taylor Swift song out of their own volition? 🖐️

by Anonymousreply 10April 25, 2024 8:37 PM

I don't get The Beatles or Elvis. Why were these young girls creaming themselves over them? But it's inconsequential, so I'm not going to write an article for cnn.com about it.

by Anonymousreply 11April 25, 2024 8:41 PM

If you don’t like her please move on and quit posting and commenting about her

by Anonymousreply 12April 25, 2024 9:17 PM

Can the tiresome phrase "There! I said it!" please be banned from DL?

by Anonymousreply 13April 25, 2024 9:20 PM

I really just don’t understand why people who don’t like her have to make it their entire personality. It really gets on my nerves when people act like disliking a popular thing automatically makes them intellectually superior or more interesting. And as we can see from this article, it clearly doesn’t.

by Anonymousreply 14April 25, 2024 9:55 PM

I periodically try to listen to her because I’m curious about her immense popularity, but absolutely nothing sticks.

by Anonymousreply 15April 25, 2024 10:07 PM

She is boring to me and her lyrics are rather pedestrian. To each his own but to me she is one big MEH.

by Anonymousreply 16April 25, 2024 10:08 PM

Insipid is the word I think best describes her music.

I even like a couple of that Miley's song.

by Anonymousreply 17April 25, 2024 10:09 PM

It is kind of like Madonna. But Madonna had really catchy, memorable songs. I'm a teacher, and compared to last year, Taylor Swift hysteria has died down quite a bit.

by Anonymousreply 18April 25, 2024 10:11 PM

It’s not like Madonna.

Someone like Doja Cat is like Madonna. Someone who older people don’t understand where there’s a big gap between generational culture.

It’s very obvious the gap between Stevie Nicks and Pat Benetar fans of the late 70’s and when Madonna came onto the scene in. 1982. 2 different worlds.

This isn’t a different world to anyone. We’re talking about a very vanilla artist.

Basically … if I could look at my 22 or 23 year-old self back in 2009 and 2010, I never in a million years thought Taylor Swift would have a bigger career than Lady Gaga. Gaga was supposed to be the next Madonna.

But Taylor Swift. To me it’s like if Hillary Duff became the #1 biggest artist in the world.

It’s just crazy.

by Anonymousreply 19April 26, 2024 12:07 AM

If this was the 80’s, Taylor would be like if Belinda Carlisle had as big of a career as Michael Jackson.

by Anonymousreply 20April 26, 2024 12:08 AM

[quote] She’s like Celine Dion and teenage Britney and Alanis Morissette rolled into one.

I don't know about Celine Dion. Her biggest fanbase was fraus of all races, while Taylor's is primarily young white girls. Plus, Celine Dion was appreciated by people who liked great singing.

by Anonymousreply 21April 26, 2024 12:37 AM

I don’t know a single Taylor Swift song besides Blank Space. She writes her own music, she’s a smart businesswoman and a positive role model for young girls. She seems harmless to me.

by Anonymousreply 22April 26, 2024 12:51 AM

[QUOTE] really just don’t understand why people who don’t like her have to make it their entire personality. It really gets on my nerves when people act like disliking a popular thing automatically makes them intellectually superior or more interesting.

FUCK OFF, SWIFTIE!

by Anonymousreply 23April 30, 2024 5:56 AM

Swift is fine, but lands as a bit soulless for me so she's not not my jam. The tribal behaviour and social display from her fans, especially in the last few years, is annoying but benign...for now.

by Anonymousreply 24April 30, 2024 6:10 AM

I don’t get her either. But I don’t get her so much I would never have to write an essay about it.

by Anonymousreply 25April 30, 2024 6:49 AM

If she can help Biden get elected, I'll worship at her throne!

I do love her anti-homophobic song - "You Need to Calm Down" (though I haven't really given much else of hers a chance.)

by Anonymousreply 26April 30, 2024 7:21 AM

This is a CNN article?!

by Anonymousreply 27April 30, 2024 7:32 AM

[quote] If she can help Biden get elected

She can’t. I can’t believe Democrats are retard enough to be saying this. They know they’re fucked with Joe and are grasping at straws. Abortion isn’t going to do shit either when you haven’t even told people what you intend to do about the issue and why you haven’t done said thing for months. This is Hillary all over again - just hoping for the best with nothing to offer other than “I’m not the other guy” when the one in charge already everyone hates. These are probably the two worst candidates in history.

by Anonymousreply 28April 30, 2024 7:34 AM

The Pet Shop Boys said it best: the majority of people couldn’t even name her songs. She’s more of a thing unhappy girls and gay men latch onto and live through because she’s a non-stop victim.

by Anonymousreply 29April 30, 2024 7:35 AM

She's booooooooring. but if she gets her fans to vote Biden all is forgiven. I just dont know if she will go that far. Her thing is the carefully worded "go and and vote" not vote Biden or vote Blue.

by Anonymousreply 30April 30, 2024 7:36 AM

R28 = Both sides Troll

No they are not both the same or both the worst choices in history. Biden has never been impeached, Trump is on number 2. Biden has a VP that supports him, Dump has lost his support form Mike Pence, Biden has never been convicted of fraud, defamation or sexual harassment, Dump has that and a lot more coming. Biden negotiated a bipartisan infrastructure bill worth over 1 trillion dollars, Dump failed 4 years in a row. Biden has the lowest unemployment rate in 50 years, Dump saw a 15% to 25% unemployment rate during his time in office. Biden has given us the highest numbers on the Stock Market, Dump gave us Covid, empty shelves, an insurrection, BLM ritos and 1 million dead Americans.

by Anonymousreply 31April 30, 2024 7:44 AM

[quote]Who has never listened to a Taylor Swift song out of their own volition?

R10 Me. Just hasnt ocurred to me to do so.

I dont dislike Taylor Swift. Or really like here either, in the same way I dont really dislike or like the weather in Ashgabat (capital of Turkmenistan FYI). Musically I move in a completely different world, although she apparently borders on country which I do listen to some of. So I dont really have an opinion on here. She just is. Like Ashgabat

[quote]I do love her anti-homophobic song - "You Need to Calm Down" (though I haven't really given much else of hers a chance.)

R26 I will give her a chance and listen to this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32April 30, 2024 8:33 AM

Is she single yet?!

by Anonymousreply 33April 30, 2024 8:10 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!