Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Australian footballer receives three match ban for using homophobic slur on the pitch

The AFL has handed Jeremy Finlayson a three-game suspension for words said during Gather Round. He directed a homophobic slur toward an Essendon Bombers’ player which was picked up on an AFL umpire’s microphone and was also later self-reported by Jeremy Finlayson.

That seems like a reasonable consequence to me. Clearly it's unacceptable to use homophobic slurs (he's reported to have said "faggot") while playing and there has to be some consequences otherwise others will think it's OK.

However, what disappointed me is how many supporters thought the three-game suspension was too extreme of a punishment. Most seem to think it's normal to trade insults on the pitch and that homophobic slurs aren't a problem. I know sport gets a homophobic reputation, but I had thought it was overstated in the past. However, the reaction to this incident showed it's likely a majority hold homophobic views.

It's no wonder there's huge reluctance for professional sports players of pretty much any sport to come out, even in countries that most would think are more accepting.

by Anonymousreply 23April 26, 2024 2:37 PM

Meh... They need to grow a pair... If I cowered in a corner and got all butt hurt everytime I got called a fag$#t I would be in some group home working a service job. The key is to take that anger and channel it into being a better and more successful person than the verbal perpetrator.

by Anonymousreply 1April 25, 2024 11:03 AM

A three game suspension seems like a slap on the rest to me. How about a suspension for the rest of the season? Without pay.

by Anonymousreply 2April 25, 2024 11:03 AM

[quote] Meh... They need to grow a pair... If I cowered in a corner and got all butt hurt everytime I got called a fag$#t I would be in some group home working a service job. The key is to take that anger and channel it into being a better and more successful person than the verbal perpetrator.

[bold] WRONG [/bold]

by Anonymousreply 3April 25, 2024 11:09 AM

Yoing people call what r3 quoted gaslighting.

by Anonymousreply 4April 25, 2024 11:30 AM

I need some rest.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5April 25, 2024 12:40 PM

Link please, OP. We need to evaluate his looks to determine whether he should be absolved.

by Anonymousreply 6April 25, 2024 12:42 PM

Perhaps related to “master of the slow burn” 🔥 from the old Laurel & Hardy two reelers, James Finlayson?

by Anonymousreply 7April 25, 2024 12:51 PM

I approve of that word.

by Anonymousreply 8April 25, 2024 1:15 PM

R6 Link added! Make up your mind from that.

I was really confused by the quote in R3 as I couldn't work out where that had come from. Then I realised it was from the one person I've got on ignore on this site. Based off that quote my decision to block was correct!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9April 25, 2024 1:41 PM

[quote]Meh... They need to grow a pair... If I cowered in a corner and got all butt hurt everytime I got called a fag$#t I would be in some group home working a service job. The key is to take that anger and channel it into being a better and more successful person than the verbal perpetrator.

Funny how it’s always ok when it’s a epithet for gay men hut never ok when it’s an epithet for someone’s race.

It’s just as bad.

by Anonymousreply 10April 25, 2024 5:25 PM

It's disappointing to hear you say that, r1. Facing professional consequences for using a slur at work is a sign of social progress.

by Anonymousreply 11April 25, 2024 6:25 PM

R11 Indeed. I'm the OP and, like I said, I'd heard plenty of excuses from knuckle dragging straight men about using the word, but I didn't expect to see them here.

by Anonymousreply 12April 26, 2024 12:23 PM

There's a certain percentage of people that were shamed into keeping their homophobic slurs to themselves, but that shouldn't ever had been taken as evidence of a change in opinion or a better understanding of gay people. It was always tolerance masked as acceptance.

So when push comes to shove, we're still faggots, and there are a lot of people that were or are getting tired of having to accept ideas and people they never really wanted to accept.

It's reverting to people claiming their right to be discriminating and hateful.

It's going to get a lot worse, especially in this country where "the forces of evil" have been given permission to be whomever they want to be, and as horrible as they want to be.

by Anonymousreply 13April 26, 2024 12:37 PM

It's extremely selfish to shit on progress because you had to "tough it out" in shittier times. Following that logic, nobody should have workplace rights, medical treatments, etc..

by Anonymousreply 14April 26, 2024 12:38 PM

Non-apology apology. More along the lines of being sorry for getting caught. Plus he’s not hot. So, hisssssss! hissssssssssss!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15April 26, 2024 12:48 PM

For me, it's not about silencing views, but more about having a bit of decorum. If someone hates gay people and is really desperate to use homophobic slurs, at least keep it private.

I just think it's crazy how some of them act like being punished for using slurs is some kind of infringement of their rights.

If someone used a slur towards a fellow employee at work, I think 99.99% of most sane people would agree firing them is a rational response. But if it's on a football field then suddenly it turns into "well, it's just banter, no harm done". Or people try to argue it's not really homophobic to call men "faggots" (or similar).

by Anonymousreply 16April 26, 2024 12:50 PM

The explanations he gives at R15 are a big load of horseshit. He's not the least bit "remorseful", and he should shut up and stop explaining.

All he's doing is digging the hole deeper. He's an unrepentant asshole and supremely annoyed that there were ramifications.

His wife isn't any better and I feel sorry for their kids.

by Anonymousreply 17April 26, 2024 1:04 PM

[quote]Funny how it’s always ok when it’s a epithet for gay men hut never ok when it’s an epithet for someone’s race.

The AFL has had major problems for years with racial slurs, both player-to-player and fans screaming them out.

Why the team copping the abuse doesn't just walk off the field every time it happens amazes me. That would be the quickest way to stop it occurring. If there's one thing a bogan footy fan hates more than a minority group, it's being deprived of their footy.

by Anonymousreply 18April 26, 2024 1:04 PM

I do NOT approve of that word! My daughter explained to me that it is considered offensive unless the person speaking is a fag. Kind of like n . . Uh, well, you know.

by Anonymousreply 19April 26, 2024 1:29 PM

Actually, my daughter didn’t say there was any exception. I learned that from my friends here at Datalounge.

Yass Queens!

(Did I do that right?)

by Anonymousreply 20April 26, 2024 2:23 PM

I would probably call another guy a faggot in a highly aggressive and tense situation - because instinctually I know it's the most disrespectful thing I can say to a barbarian. It's also retarded to think that just because I'm not perfect or if you're thick skinned that homophobic attitudes aren't a widespread problem or even particularly ingrained in certain spheres of society like sporting. Professional male athletes still can't really be out and we all know why. Because they fear how their teammates and opponents will treat them or even violence. R1 do you really think the world and all it's problems are as simple as "well you should all just be like me"

by Anonymousreply 21April 26, 2024 2:32 PM

r21 oh dearing myself for the it's/its before anyone else can and my excuse is that i had wine and doughnuts for breakfast

by Anonymousreply 22April 26, 2024 2:33 PM

R17 I got the impression he thought that by apologising to the guy on the field and reporting himself to the referee before the end of the match he'd exonerated himself. And that's why he was pissed off he got a three match suspension. In his eyes, that would have only been needed if he hadn't come clean about it.

I agree his wife seems as bad as him. She chose to put it on her podcast and laughed about the situation, which showed she didn't think it was serious at all and probably uses the word herself. After all, if she was an 'ally' in any way, she'd have told him he was an asshole for using that word so publicly and would have wanted to sweep it under the carpet, not publicise it all on her podcast and treat it like a joke.

Australia definitely seems to have more of an issue with homophobia than many other western countries, not to mention a big racism problem towards the aborigines there.

by Anonymousreply 23April 26, 2024 2:37 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!