Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Vegan lunatics turn on restaurant owner when she introduces meat into her menu

On Earth Day chef Mollie Engelhart took to social media with an announcement that rocked L.A.’s vegan community: Her pillar of plant-based dining, Sage Vegan Bistro, would become Sage Regenerative Kitchen & Brewery and begin serving meat and dairy.

Following a vegan diet, the chef-owner said, is no longer enough to combat climate change, so the new iteration of Sage will focus on sourcing and proselytizing regenerative farming practices. That, along with years of post-pandemic financial losses, moved Engelhart to introduce beef, bison, cheese and eggs from regenerative farms into her Echo Park, Culver City and Pasadena restaurants.

The backlash on social media was swift. More than 3,000 comments have poured in, some calling it “a sham,” “deeply disturbing,” “a bummer announcement,” “a huge betrayal to animals,” “devastating,” a “horrific transition” and “profit disguised as environmental progress.” Dozens of vegan and animal-wellness organizations and influencers have shared the news, some calling for a boycott.

“I understand their passion and I understand their sadness and I understand their anger,” Engelhart told The Times. “I had the same views of the world that they did before I shifted my ideas based on my experience in farming, and I have compassion for what they're feeling. I hope that the vegan community and the regenerative community can really come together because I think they're both powerful, powerful pathways for change.

“It's vulnerable to publicly say, ‘I believed one thing, and maybe I was wrong and now I believe something else,’” she continued, “but I hope that it inspires people in their own lives to be willing to be open-minded when something else makes more sense to you.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31April 26, 2024 9:24 AM

Just think of that, a business being run to make a profit? Get a load of this!

by Anonymousreply 1April 25, 2024 2:23 AM

They should throw fake blood on her when she enters her restaurant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2April 25, 2024 2:25 AM

It's one thing for a vegan restaurant to go vegetarian or pescatarian, but it's a big deal to expect their customers to have no problem with adding meat.

by Anonymousreply 3April 25, 2024 2:31 AM

So many boomer right-wing rage threads posted in the last week.

by Anonymousreply 4April 25, 2024 2:34 AM

[quote] Her pillar of plant-based dining, Sage Vegan Bistro, would become Sage Regenerative Kitchen & Brewery

What in the ever loving fuck is a "regenerative kitchen?"

Why not just call it Sage Bistro and Brewery?

That name is much more appealing. And easier to say.

by Anonymousreply 5April 25, 2024 2:34 AM

Hell hath no fury like a vegan named Karen.

by Anonymousreply 6April 25, 2024 2:37 AM

I knew this happened in LA just from the headline.

by Anonymousreply 7April 25, 2024 2:43 AM

“a huge betrayal to animals”

Vegans love animals so much they forbid them from being born.

by Anonymousreply 8April 25, 2024 3:06 AM

This thread has me hankering for a Whopper.

by Anonymousreply 9April 25, 2024 3:08 AM

How will we go ON?

by Anonymousreply 10April 25, 2024 3:13 AM

I love animals.

They're delicious!

by Anonymousreply 11April 25, 2024 3:13 AM

The fat whores of Datalounge rejoice! Another chance to eat as many burgers as you can stuff into your aged mouths! Victory for the Carnivores!!

by Anonymousreply 12April 25, 2024 3:13 AM

[quote]What in the ever loving fuck is a "regenerative kitchen?"

You don't have access to google?

[quote]Why not just call it Sage Bistro and Brewery?

Because she's trying to promote the concept of regenerative kitchens, just like it says right there in the article.

by Anonymousreply 13April 25, 2024 3:32 AM

So vegans wont do oral? Otherwise they be hypocrites. And swallow??? The horror!!

by Anonymousreply 14April 25, 2024 3:41 AM

R13 is proof that all Vegans are nasty and humorless.

by Anonymousreply 15April 25, 2024 3:44 AM

Except I love eating meat.

by Anonymousreply 16April 25, 2024 3:56 AM

Sam knew

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17April 25, 2024 2:50 PM

[quote]so the new iteration of Sage will focus on sourcing and proselytizing regenerative farming practices.

So, how about a plate full of proselytization?

Veganism is just too tortured a lifestyle choice: declaring that the rest of your living days will be in pursuit of new restaurants and new recipes and new taste combinations because it's all overpriced and overly precious muck masquerading as moral high superiority.

I could, though be a vegetarian, happily and easily enough, about 90% of the time. I like meat in small portions and can do without it easily enough. It's not something I crave. Seafood I like and eat very often, and I would miss that from my diet but could easily cut down my consumption to one or two times a week.

But who wants to go to a restaurant because of its sourcing or its proselytizing? How many times does a vegan need to hear the same message about the dietary and environmental evils of dairy?

For vegans, and I have a good many vegan friends, every meal seems an elaborate challenge and must be heralded as a victory. I can't be bothered to do that everytime I'm hungry.

by Anonymousreply 18April 25, 2024 2:53 PM

R18 proves that non vegans are more bothered by vegans than vice versa.

by Anonymousreply 19April 25, 2024 3:00 PM

I am mostly vegan for health issues - diabetes and inflammation issues. I never impose my diet on anyone else. If I go to someone’s home for dinner, I eat what they serve without saying anything about my diet choices. I’m embarrassed to be lumped in with the vocal, attention seeking vegans.

by Anonymousreply 20April 25, 2024 3:06 PM

[QUOTE]but it's a big deal to expect their customers to have no problem with adding meat.

She's not removing vegan options from the menu, is she? And she knows well enough how to manage a kitchen to avoid animal products coming into contact with the vegan ingredients. Why do the customers think they're being deprived or should have a say in management? It's not a coop restaurant where diners own shares.

I assume the vegan complainers do their grocery shopping at Coop grocery stores. How do the deal with all the piles of animal flesh when they catch a glimpse of the meat counter?

by Anonymousreply 21April 25, 2024 3:22 PM

Most restaurants have vegetarian options. What's the big deal if a veggie restaurant offers a bit of meat? It's not like they're slaughtering piggies in the kitchen. I hope those loons eat some bad sprouts. Or get eaten by their adopted pitties.

by Anonymousreply 22April 25, 2024 3:30 PM

r12 a hamburger patty is low in calories

by Anonymousreply 23April 25, 2024 3:32 PM

If veganism works for some people, great! However, grass-fed beef is a health food when eaten in moderation.

“Ground beef is a good source of protein, providing 22 grams per 3-ounce serving.

Vitamins and Minerals

Beef is a good source of carnitine, zinc, selenium, iron, and B vitamins. Because your body can't store or produce B vitamins, you need to consume them in your diet.2

Carnitine is a general term for several compounds including L-carnitine, acetyl-L-carnitine, and propionyl-L-carnitine. This nutrient is crucial for energy production since it transports long-chain fatty acids into the mitochondria to be burned, producing energy.3

Health Benefits

The primary health benefits of beef come from the significant protein that it provides, as well as its vitamins and minerals.

Helps Build Cells

Protein is essential for maintaining muscle tissue and for various biological processes in your body daily. This macronutrient helps your body build bones, muscles, cartilage, skin, and blood.4 The selenium in beef is also essential for DNA synthesis.

Boosts Immune System

Beef contains several B vitamins, including thiamin (B1), riboflavin (B2), niacin (B3), pyridoxine (B6), folate (B9), and cobalamin (B12). These B vitamins and zinc in beef are essential to maintaining a healthy immune system.

Supports Hormone Production

The B vitamin niacin also aids in the proper function of many body systems, including the production of sex hormones. Selenium is essential for thyroid function.

Replenishes Iron Stores

Your body needs iron to help make red blood cells, among other functions. Dietary iron comes in two forms, non-heme, and heme—which is found in beef and other animal proteins. Heme iron is easier for the body to use, so you don't need to consume as much of it (vs. non-heme iron) to help stave off anemia and other problems stemming from low iron.”

Verywell Health

by Anonymousreply 24April 25, 2024 4:29 PM

My ancestors worked hard for six million years to put me on top of the food chain. I refuse to revert to grazing.

by Anonymousreply 25April 25, 2024 6:17 PM

LITERAL VIOLENCE

by Anonymousreply 26April 25, 2024 6:23 PM

Hunter vs Gatherer

by Anonymousreply 27April 25, 2024 6:25 PM

[quote]” I understand their passion and I understand their sadness and I understand their anger,” Engelhart told The Times. “I had the same views of the world that they did before I shifted my ideas based on my experience in farming, and I have compassion for what they're feeling. I hope that the vegan community and the regenerative community can really come together because I think they're both powerful, powerful pathways for change”

Eminently sensible. Vegan farming practices are unnatural for the most part.

by Anonymousreply 28April 26, 2024 7:10 AM

Vegans are lunatics indeed, but I understand them in this specific situation, most restaurants and places serve meat, when they finally think they've got a place for themselves, an establishment that shares their values.... Everything is turned upsidedown and they see themselves backstabbed.

It's no wonder they freaked out.

by Anonymousreply 29April 26, 2024 8:39 AM

Backstabbed? They need to empower themselves instead of wailing a false victim narrative when others are working hard in the very slim margin restaurant business that sees a huge failure rate.

Can you imagine these folks even attempting to start a restaurant of their own with fairy unicorn desires and a limited understanding of the bricks and mortar business of a restaurant and all of the continuous issues involved, not just sourcing?

Magical thinkers who demand 🫴 others to do for them at their own sacrifice.

by Anonymousreply 30April 26, 2024 9:03 AM

Has anybody ever obligated the county business owner to own a restaurant?

Has anybody ever obligated her to start a VEGAN restaurant instead of a regular one?

She's betraying her clientele, and that's why they are fuming at her.

by Anonymousreply 31April 26, 2024 9:24 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!