Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Congress can give $95 Billion in Foreign Aid, but can't pay $30/month for low-income internet

Four years ago, Claudia Aleman and her family had only one way to get online — through their cellphones. Without internet service on a computer, her youngest daughter couldn’t get homework assignments in on time, her parents couldn’t keep up with online doctor visits, and the English classes she wanted to sign up for were out of reach.

Then came a game-changer: The federal government started offering a subsidy that covered $30 of the family’s $80 monthly internet bill.

But while opening mail at her home in South Gate two months ago, Aleman came across a letter from the Federal Communications Commission announcing that the Affordable Connectivity Program they had come to rely on would end in May unless Congress approved more funding.

The program, which was created after the pandemic forced many Americans to turn to the internet to connect with work and school, has 23 million enrollees nationwide — 1 in 6 U.S. households — including nearly 3 million in California.

Since 2021, it has provided a $30 monthly subsidy for low-income households and $75 for those on tribal lands. But the $14.2 billion funded through the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act has run out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19April 24, 2024 1:16 AM

Our government is fucking useless.

They waste so much money on bullshit, but for the things that really matter - internet access for low income families - they can't be bothered.

This really disgusts me.

Seriously. $95 billion of our tax money goes out the door to foreigners.

But our government can't even find $14.2 billion to subsidize poor Americans with a measly $30 per month towards their internet bill?

Absolutely useless.

by Anonymousreply 1April 23, 2024 8:42 AM

What time is it in St. Petersburg, OP?

by Anonymousreply 2April 23, 2024 8:49 AM

Well R2, it's 1:52 a.m. in Los Angeles, where the original article in the LOS ANGELES TIMES newspaper came from.

You dumb cunt.

by Anonymousreply 3April 23, 2024 8:54 AM

Oh fuck off, you inadvertent Putinista tweaker. Global security is important and you're not expert. Internet access doesn't mean shit if the post-WW2, post-USSR economic and political order collapses. Attack Republicans for being chintzy to their own person people, not for smart geopolitical decisions.

by Anonymousreply 4April 23, 2024 9:09 AM

I don't understand how internet service is so expensive in the US. It's sixth highest in average cost in the world, but all aspects of internet, mobile, TV service seem very high in the U.S.

I'm in Southern Europe and the monthly rates are half or less that of the US. My 2GB internet service, unlimited calls and data for 2 mobile phone lines, and 120 channels of TV is a cheaper monthly package price (€59) than the average cost of internet service alone in the US. And the service is excellent and far from the cheapest provider or option.

Its odd that the US never made a national.priority of internet service to its residents, instead letting huge communications conglomerates dictate pricing and conditions not meant to put the benefit of internet service into everyone's reach.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5April 23, 2024 9:16 AM

We've gone over this a hundred times by now, deplorable OP. This isn't direct aid, it's more like an investment in your own military industry. Most of the stuff sent over is old crap from the '80s nearing its expiration date, so this money is to replenish those stocks with new shit, modernised to take on China instead of the USSR. Even regular American aid to Sub-Saharan Africa comes with incredible strings attached, it's basically more of an economic investment than a handout.

A better comparison here would be student debt cancellation.

by Anonymousreply 6April 23, 2024 9:28 AM

If World War III breaks out in Europe and all these kids get sent as cannon fodder then their Internet connection issues will pale in comparison.

by Anonymousreply 7April 23, 2024 10:37 AM

I grew up poor, without a phone or TV- I went to the library.

The issue really isn’t internet, but that these arrangements force poor people to make difficult decisions that DELIEBRATELY don’t advance themselves, or become enamored to a quality level and details of the programs in sort of laziness that carries over to their children. There needs to be a more comprehensive “cradle to grave” government program that sets people up for success and accountability rather than cyclic, multigenerational lifetimes of being poor and expecting a bail out. If there is student debt cancellation, prepare us better so we don’t fall into debt again trying to retire 20 years later.

There are salary restrictions on most public safety nets that people will lose the services if they make too much money. It also disallows children to either go out and get jobs that might contribute to the household, or to legally pay into taxes (selling drugs, etc.) I also see a certain level of entitlement with both rent control and public housing in that they aren’t especially supposed to be comparable to premium market housing.

The moment I got a taste of making my own money I moved out of my mom’s house and went out on my own.

It should work the other way, that government underwrites programs like Google Fi’s internet access and work with companies to offer a year subscription with every new job, teens entering the job market, or mothers that want to work at home.

by Anonymousreply 8April 23, 2024 10:38 AM

[quote]Its odd that the US never made a national.priority of internet service to its residents,

The US -- at least, the Republican party -- prioritizes the wealth of its elites over the subsistence of its masses.

by Anonymousreply 9April 23, 2024 10:42 AM

The internet should be free for everyone.

Give all Americans unlimited internet.

Companies can always charge for extras that go above and beyond the basics.

But the bottom line is that internet access in 2024 is a necessity. And therefore, it should be free.

by Anonymousreply 10April 23, 2024 10:43 AM

The reason the money was given was so kids could do remote learning. The kids are in school full-time, eight hours a day, and get free internet to learn and explore that whole time. The family being able to stream Netflix after dinner would be nice, but if the money is needed elsewhere, it’s needed elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 11April 23, 2024 10:45 AM

R11, kids can’t get their homework done without internet. If a parent has young children and is out of work, it might be challenging to get to the library to look for a job. Some things can be difficult to do on a phone. If we are going to have give aways, this is a very worthy one.

That said, I admit that my first thought was, “$30? Nobody in that family can go mow a lawn?”

by Anonymousreply 12April 23, 2024 10:52 AM

Well, why don't you trade places with those receiving that aid? They'd love not to be able to afford the Internet.

by Anonymousreply 13April 23, 2024 11:20 AM

Yes why should the poor have anything nice? Ever?

by Anonymousreply 14April 23, 2024 11:32 AM

It’s been nothing but a money grab for arms dealers since WWII. Not a surprise!

by Anonymousreply 15April 23, 2024 11:36 AM

Thank deregulation and monopoly-approved pro-business interests in DC since Repugs went on the rampage starting with Reagan.

by Anonymousreply 16April 23, 2024 11:41 PM

I thought Rethuglians were pushing for internet in every Podunk corner of the country, so they could reach the rednecks with propaganda?

by Anonymousreply 17April 24, 2024 12:58 AM

The stench of stale borscht permeates this thread.

by Anonymousreply 18April 24, 2024 1:02 AM

Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) discount is only $30, but it helps a lot. Internet connection is out of reach for many including myself. I hope that Congress can reinstate the program before the May 1 deadline. I have received so many emails from my Internet provider saying the program has ended. It makes me sick.

by Anonymousreply 19April 24, 2024 1:16 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!