Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How China shut down attempts to uncover the origins of Covid-19

The hunt for the origins of COVID-19 has gone dark in China, the victim of political infighting after a series of stalled and thwarted attempts to find the source of the virus that killed millions and paralyzed the world for months.

The Chinese government froze meaningful domestic and international efforts to trace the virus from the first weeks of the outbreak, despite statements supporting open scientific inquiry, an Associated Press investigation found. That pattern continues to this day, with labs closed, collaborations shattered, foreign scientists forced out and Chinese researchers barred from leaving the country.

The investigation drew on thousands of pages of undisclosed emails and documents and dozens of interviews that showed the freeze began far earlier than previously known and involved political and scientific infighting in China as much as international finger-pointing.

Scientists warn the willful blindness over coronavirus’ origins leaves the world vulnerable to another outbreak, potentially undermining pandemic treaty talks coordinated by the World Health Organization set to culminate in May.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19April 23, 2024 2:06 PM

It’s very shady. I know there’s a history of new flus appearing naturally every 100 years or so…. But that doesn’t mean Covid wasn’t created in a Chinese lab.

I just don’t get the maga conspiracies that Fauci was involved. He doesn’t seem like someone that would keep that a secret if it happened on his watch.

by Anonymousreply 1April 23, 2024 2:16 AM

Poor old MAGA QAnon loon OP. Barely has the IQ to type and put on his shoes.

Do you think James Woods is acting in the place of President Biden because Biden is dead too?

by Anonymousreply 2April 23, 2024 2:18 AM

Forget it, Jake. It's China.

by Anonymousreply 3April 23, 2024 2:23 AM

China, self-regarding, secretive, cynical, criminal, dishonest, inhuman, paranoid and a menace to planetary security and well-being?

Who ever would have thunk it?

by Anonymousreply 4April 23, 2024 2:33 AM

R2 is posting from a troll farm in China.

by Anonymousreply 5April 23, 2024 2:50 AM

It was created in a lab and somehow got out, either accidentally or intentionally.

by Anonymousreply 6April 23, 2024 2:54 AM

Do we think it could happen again? What did we learn? I remember I kind of liked doing puzzles and drinking/eating for a year like it was the holidays. Now I look like hell . I have improved my eating a drinking habits but still carrying around some of that weight. I wear a XXL polo. Gross.

by Anonymousreply 7April 23, 2024 3:06 AM

^^ so many people ate and drank too much during COVID. We were all bored AF sitting at home with nothing to do.

by Anonymousreply 8April 23, 2024 3:07 AM

Ching ching chong chong.

by Anonymousreply 9April 23, 2024 3:10 AM

Covid caused irreparable damage to the world.

It accelerated all the worst parts of what was already happening, and made it 10 times worse.

I feel like I really hate the post-Covid world, so much more than what it was before.

Greed is rampant, price gouging is rampant, and costs are beyond what most people can bear.

by Anonymousreply 10April 23, 2024 3:12 AM

I was just thinking the same thing today, R10. I think there’d be a lot more resistance to isolating, etc., if something were to happen again in the next few years. The world would be a total cluster fuck.

by Anonymousreply 11April 23, 2024 3:24 AM

Sum Ting Wong wit both China and R2. Hard to find dog meat at wet market now.

by Anonymousreply 12April 23, 2024 3:37 AM

China = OJ

The World= Nicole and Ron

by Anonymousreply 13April 23, 2024 3:41 AM

“We do no wrong! It is healthy to eat a raw bat!”

by Anonymousreply 14April 23, 2024 5:09 AM

The US was funding a lot of the research at the lab so it's not like our hands are clean. Nobody should have been experimenting with corona viruses in a city of 10 million people.

by Anonymousreply 15April 23, 2024 5:36 AM

It would be best if you hadn't eaten me.

by Anonymousreply 16April 23, 2024 6:09 AM

We all know that COVID-19 was created by artificial means. The way it quickly evades vaccine protection, mutates, its genetic code... The virus is a bioweapon of unknown origin, with some kind of Wuhan, China starting point.

Remember the EVALI vaping crisis of 2018-19? They've discovered that a good deal of those early cases were likely early COVID sufferers and were completely unrelated to vaping.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17April 23, 2024 6:16 AM

This is not really news to anyone who was paying even cursory attention.

Why does China get a pass?

The West should have never become so entangled with this country. Western naivete and optimism about inevitable liberalization played a role. We are to blame for the consequences of being misguided.

From an historical perspective, the PRC should have never been allowed a permanent seat on the U.N. Security Council. China had ceased to be governed by the regime in power during WWII.

by Anonymousreply 18April 23, 2024 8:42 AM

R18 In other words, FUCK CHINA. I concur.

by Anonymousreply 19April 23, 2024 2:06 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!