Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What type of a home do you keep?

Is your home the same level of clean or messy that you grew up in?

I'm immaculately clean and probably borderline OCD as everything is labelled and alphabetized. I don't like clutter. My mother was the same minus the labelling and alphabetizing.

by Anonymousreply 17April 23, 2024 8:23 AM

In my extensive experience with roommates, I'd say people are almost never as clean as they purport.

by Anonymousreply 1April 22, 2024 9:49 PM

Basically clean, I like having things clean but I do stack up some stuff here and there or sometimes my "clothes chair" needs some work.

by Anonymousreply 2April 22, 2024 10:03 PM

I keep my downstairs very clean, always fresh flowers...upstairs is a bit more lived in.

by Anonymousreply 3April 22, 2024 10:04 PM

You writing a book, OP?

Beware of trolls and their seemingly innocuous polls.

by Anonymousreply 4April 22, 2024 10:44 PM

My house is clean yours isnā€™t

by Anonymousreply 5April 22, 2024 10:54 PM

No one is mentioning what kind of a home their mother kept vs. the type of home they now keep....

by Anonymousreply 6April 22, 2024 11:05 PM

I grew up in a very chaotic home, my mother eventually became a hoarder. I keep my house clean and mostly orderly, especially kitchen and bathrooms. I set the table every night for dinner. I love eating at the dining table, something we didn't do too often growing up. I also make my bed every morning, it's just a comforter and shams, so it just takes seconds. When I visit my sister I'm reminded of how we grew up, her kitchen counter is packed with crap, no room to even prep food.

by Anonymousreply 7April 22, 2024 11:13 PM

Clean-ish organized chaos

by Anonymousreply 8April 22, 2024 11:28 PM

I have to have order: furniture in place, clothes stored away, everything tidy and in its place. Beyond that the kitchen and bathrooms are always clean and everything in its place, and the floors clean looking and no dust or dirt on view.

I care much less for surgical cleanliness in other areas. If there is dust under the beds (and there is), I'm not bothered. If a white glove were to be run along the tops of window and door trim, I'm not troubled if there's a not unreasonable dust accumulation. The.clothes inside closets and cheats of drawers are roughly organized, rarely folded, almost never ironed. The drawers of my desk have no evident order to anyone else's eye.

Above all, I value everything being in its place and no clutter beyond stacks of books I'm reading. Outside of a couple.types.of rooms, cleanliness is very much secondary to spotlessness.

Advantage: people alway mistake.order for cleanliness, so they credit tidy you for being cleaner than you are.

by Anonymousreply 9April 23, 2024 12:34 AM

When my house gets too messy I pull out my Cat In The Hat Cleaning Machine, and presto. All is neat and tidy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10April 23, 2024 1:37 AM

Pretty much neat and clean but I need to clean the clutter from my closets. I've been putting it off.

by Anonymousreply 11April 23, 2024 1:45 AM

Organized - I HATE stuff thrown on the floor or couch and clutter! Chaotic environments stress me out (although I forget where I put stuff away a lot lol). However, my bed is not made unless I have guests (I sit in it with my laptop for work) and a few dishes in the sink (for a day at most). Also, hate mopping, dusting and folding clothes - necessary evils (since my housekeeper moved back to Guana).

by Anonymousreply 12April 23, 2024 2:04 AM

Oh, my mother was a housewife - very neat, very clean home with hot breakfast, hot dinner every day with mandatory chores every night (dishesšŸ˜£) and weekends (floors, laundry, mowing, raking, shoveling ugh!). Thankfully, she insisted on doing the bathrooms. Definitely rebelled as an adult!

by Anonymousreply 13April 23, 2024 2:15 AM

Mom's house: nice, but too much stuff on every surface. Closets full of stuff. Difficult to clean / vacuum, because you have to move stuff, first.

My house: uncluttered. Easy to clean and vacuum. I'm not obsessive about cleaning, but I do keep track of how often I do certain things like vacuuming, washing the mattress pad / cover, toilet, etc.

by Anonymousreply 14April 23, 2024 2:37 AM

I have enough going on without adding being a clean freak. Ainā€™t nobody got time for that!

by Anonymousreply 15April 23, 2024 3:28 AM

My wife keeps a good house.

by Anonymousreply 16April 23, 2024 3:35 AM

I used to be a professional housecleaner and had about twelve regular accounts. I would say I was OCD about each house and getting my daily routine done properly. When asked about my house, I would just laugh and shake my head. Here, the kitchen and bathrooms fairly clean and orderly and there is a bit of clutter here and there, but I'm very relaxed about weekly dusting. That's my least favorite chore. I quickly make the bed tidy and nice-looking everyday- maybe for good luck. But,if we expect a guest, I do a quick once-over.

by Anonymousreply 17April 23, 2024 8:23 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!