Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Mall mainstay Express is (almost) DEAD to US!

Closing a shitton of stores.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27April 30, 2024 6:49 AM

Staggering to think they were a top retailer 20 years ago. Isn't this connected to that Wexler.queen who was in cahoots with Epstein?

by Anonymousreply 1April 22, 2024 6:30 PM

People need less office clothes if they only come in three days a week.

by Anonymousreply 2April 22, 2024 7:24 PM

Weren't their men stores called "Stucture" at some point. Back in the early 1990s, it was the place to go.

by Anonymousreply 3April 22, 2024 7:27 PM

I got some great clothes at Structure circa 1997. They also had sexy underwear ads.

by Anonymousreply 4April 22, 2024 7:29 PM

I loved the French dance music they used to pipe through their stores. That was a long time ago. I remember going in there a couple years ago and shocked at how expensive their bland clothing became.

by Anonymousreply 5April 22, 2024 7:33 PM

Doesn't Les Wexner own this brand? Fuck that guy

by Anonymousreply 6April 22, 2024 7:34 PM

[quote]I loved the French dance music they used to pipe through their stores. That was a long time ago

Oh lord don’t summon the Gap playlist guy

by Anonymousreply 7April 22, 2024 7:46 PM

I agree their days were already numbered pre-pandemic. Circa 2018, I accompanied someone there who'd received a $250 Express gift card as a very generous graduation gift, with warm instructions to use it to build their first professional wardrobe.

We browsed for the longest time, the only shoppers in the store, and everything was generic and hellaciously overpriced. She sold the card at a slight discount and used the proceeds to buy clothes elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 8April 22, 2024 7:53 PM

Back 15 or 20 years ago, they consistently had quick and decent knockoffs of runway fashion.

by Anonymousreply 9April 22, 2024 8:03 PM

I guess I'll never get to use that coupon I got from Abortion Hut Rewards.

by Anonymousreply 10April 22, 2024 8:05 PM

R3 made me remember structure. So 90s. I loved that store.

by Anonymousreply 11April 22, 2024 8:07 PM

There's times when I really miss fully malls and fully stocked retail. Other times, I don't care. I guess there are still SOME vibrant malls, but generally the landscape has changed a lot.

by Anonymousreply 12April 22, 2024 8:08 PM

Jon used to walk in to Structure, point at a mannequin, and ask for the outfit in his size. Nice dick. Believed in Isis….

by Anonymousreply 13April 22, 2024 8:13 PM

Not my type. I prefer BB and VV.

by Anonymousreply 14April 22, 2024 8:18 PM

I loved shopping at Structure in the 1990s. Then they dropped their name and merged with Express - it wasn't the same.

by Anonymousreply 15April 22, 2024 8:41 PM

Express was so on trend in the 90s, everyone I know who was female and could fit regular clothes shopped there. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 16April 22, 2024 8:44 PM

You could try Sears.

by Anonymousreply 17April 22, 2024 8:58 PM

I worked at Express SoHo in 2003-04. It was a great job in retail and I think the managers made good money. We didn’t get commission but they’d always ask who had helped the customer at checkout and if your name came up a lot you got bonuses. I was a cute twink and could sell lots of shirts to the older gay men that shopped there. But having to wear their stuff all the time at work made me realize it wasn’t high quality fabric and the fits weren’t great.

Also this was the time when they came out with “Seven Jeans for express” and had this whole marketing plan with the “crossover”. But then it turned out they didn’t actually have the rights to use the Seven brand and they had to take down all the signage.

Went to look recently and while some of the styles looked cool - neat patterns and cuts- on closer inspection everything still looked cheap and for that price I wasn’t interested in buying anything.

by Anonymousreply 18April 22, 2024 9:13 PM

I was starting to think I had the details about the 7 debacle mistaken but found this Post article about it. I remember when they initially told to say they were the same designer as Seven7 but then made us stop.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19April 22, 2024 10:23 PM

Interesting that Golden Gate equity fund owns both Express and Red Lobster.....hmmm......

by Anonymousreply 20April 22, 2024 11:32 PM

Leah from Express was a nasty tweaker.

by Anonymousreply 21April 22, 2024 11:44 PM

Is “shitton” some kind of French fabric?

by Anonymousreply 22April 22, 2024 11:55 PM

People started buying online using brands that social media has done a good job of depicting as urban sophisticated. The Express style turned Guido.

Like Guess. The only remaining store of theirs I know of only attracts working class Latinos. Last time we passed it, they were controlling entry with a security guard out front - obviously to deter shoplifting.

by Anonymousreply 23April 22, 2024 11:58 PM

In 1994, in a small northern Arizona town, I got my first job in my career field. It came with a dress code: button down shirt and tie. Most people there kept it cheap and shopped at the Sears or Penney’s in town. One weekend I went down to Scottsdale and discovered Structure; bought a couple shirts and ties.

Word got around and after a few months more Structure ties were seen walking around the offices. It was great because Structure had this HUGE selection, so very rarely were there duplicate ties amongst us. And the music while in there was so much cooler and made shopping more fun than Gap, though I’d shop there too.

Geez, the memories are coming back now… We’d usually round out the day perusing Z Gallerie. Then food and drinks somewhere around Tempe. Fun times.

by Anonymousreply 24April 23, 2024 1:23 PM

We used to shop at Structure in the Pru then have lunch at that new California Pizza Kitchen.

How they managed to fuck both of these up is amazing.

by Anonymousreply 25April 23, 2024 3:20 PM

Same r25. It’s funny that I started at Structure in Arizona, and then saw its demise in the Pru after I moved to Boston in 2002. Well, it first migrated to being that weird “Male Express”.

It’s now a weird CVS, however it’s definitely stocked better than others in the neighborhood.

by Anonymousreply 26April 23, 2024 3:54 PM

Our local "pedestrian mall" is losing an Express. Just lost our California Pizza Kitchen over the winter.

I always wondered "damn they're still open" when I walked by CPK. At least 30 years now.

Totally forgot Express was 90s Structure until I found this thread.

by Anonymousreply 27April 30, 2024 6:49 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!