Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Often

When I grew up nobody but nobody pronounced the T. Even in the dictionary from '70 the pronunciation is offen. In the Pirate of Penzance there is a (not very funny)joke about confusing often and orphan.

Why is the T being pronounced and when did it start? It drives me crazy hurting my ears. I keep wanting to tell people don't pronounce the T!

by Anonymousreply 77April 30, 2024 3:22 PM

Pirates

by Anonymousreply 1April 22, 2024 3:33 PM

Hypercorrection.

People think that not pronouncing the "T" is similar to pronouncing "butter" as "budda," so "correct" themselves. Not pronouncing the "T" is perceived as casual, lazy, or uneducated.

by Anonymousreply 2April 22, 2024 3:38 PM

You mean “ piraes”.

by Anonymousreply 3April 22, 2024 3:41 PM

OP = William Safire

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4April 22, 2024 3:47 PM

Seek help, OP.

by Anonymousreply 5April 22, 2024 3:52 PM

Stealth anti-trans thread

by Anonymousreply 6April 22, 2024 3:54 PM

I blame social media for this outrage.

There is a scene in the miniseries "The 2 Mrs. Grenville's" when Anne Woodward meets her MIL and his family. After she leaves, the mom and his sisters start trashing Anne Woodward. The 1 sister says. "You can tell she's common because she pronounces the "T" in often.

by Anonymousreply 7April 22, 2024 4:19 PM

'Not pronouncing the "T" is perceived as casual, lazy, or uneducated.'

My question is when and why did it happen? You never ever before pronounced the T. As I said it's not pronounced in a 1970 dictionary. I guess now I'll just say sofTen.

by Anonymousreply 8April 22, 2024 4:22 PM

Another beef I have is that I offen hear young people say which is truly surprising is 'Without further ado.'

I thought this died out with vaudeville.

by Anonymousreply 9April 22, 2024 4:25 PM

R9 - And when spelling it out, some of them try to look sophisticated by writing: "Without further adieu"

by Anonymousreply 10April 22, 2024 4:34 PM

I blame Gen Zer's too.

by Anonymousreply 11April 22, 2024 4:36 PM

OP, language evolves. They used to pronounce protein as "pro-tee-in". Some people used to say "Los Angle Lees". There are many words that have changed pronunciation over the years. For the record, I do not pronounce the T in often, but many many people do.

by Anonymousreply 12April 22, 2024 4:39 PM

I never heard protein pronounced at "Pro-tee-in", is that regional? In the Philadelphia area, "Water" is spoken as "wooder". I kept getting called out on it in Myrtle Beach when I was down there for work.

A lawyer from Alabama kept telling me "With that accent, you live in La Jolla??"

by Anonymousreply 13April 22, 2024 4:56 PM

[quote] but many many people do.

How often?

by Anonymousreply 14April 22, 2024 5:00 PM

Robut.

by Anonymousreply 15April 22, 2024 5:00 PM

Yet again: There is just not one way to pronounce every single word in the dictionary. Often pronunciations vary according to region, nationality, class, and other factors.

There's no reason to get hysterical about it unless you're some sort of OCD control freak.

by Anonymousreply 16April 22, 2024 5:03 PM

What R2 said. This has been going on for a while now, as documented in H. .W. Fowler's *Modern English Usage* (1926);

[quote]The sounding of the T ... is practiced by two oddly consorted classes: the academic speakers who affect a more precise enunciation than their neighbors ... and the uneasy half-literates who who like to prove they can spell

Doubtless we'll eventually be hearing people say "lisTen" and "fabric sofTener."

by Anonymousreply 17April 22, 2024 5:07 PM

Same with soften. But you don’t hear as many people pronounce the T in soften.

What about “a historic …” vs “an historic …”

I alway say a historic …(ie, house, ruling, moment, etc).

by Anonymousreply 18April 22, 2024 5:11 PM

I say "an historic"

A historic does not sound proper to me.

by Anonymousreply 19April 22, 2024 5:24 PM

If the "H" in historic were silent, as with "herb" in American English, I'd use "an."

However, the "H" is pronounced, so I use "a."

by Anonymousreply 20April 22, 2024 5:30 PM

R18 and R19 - When you're saying something like 'historic monument' or 'herb garden,' I think it depends on whether you begin the 'h' word with a vowel sound or not. I tend to say "an 'erb garden" and "an 'istoric monument", especially if I'm speaking quickly. I realize I almost (but maybe not quite) drop the 'h', sliding the words together. The article is naturally 'an' if the following word begins with a vowel sound .

If you fully pronounce the 'h', you'd probably say "a herb garden" and "a historic monument" because the 'h' is a consonant sound. That's my take on it anyway. :)

by Anonymousreply 21April 22, 2024 5:41 PM

R20, you got there before me!

by Anonymousreply 22April 22, 2024 5:42 PM

I say erb and not herb, thus "an herb"

by Anonymousreply 23April 22, 2024 5:46 PM

A egg.

by Anonymousreply 24April 22, 2024 5:47 PM

I remember reading that the fruit we now know as 'orange' was originally called 'norange', but, because people heard 'a norange', they naturally thought it was called 'an orange'. Whether this is true or not, it makes a good story.

by Anonymousreply 25April 22, 2024 5:55 PM

Equally horrendous, R24 - actually more so because so many people say it: a accident.

by Anonymousreply 26April 22, 2024 5:56 PM

Interesting, R25. I hadn’t heard that about the word “orange” before. Here’s more about it, plus lots of other stuff.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27April 22, 2024 6:04 PM

That's an interesting article, R27! Thanks for doing the research on that - it's good to know it wasn't just my imagination :)

by Anonymousreply 28April 22, 2024 6:12 PM

And yet the "ofTen" people, if they had the language skills to know the word, would pronounce "oftentimes" correctly without the T because their lack of teeth would produce a prolonged squeaky whistle.

by Anonymousreply 29April 22, 2024 6:26 PM

What about facade? Is it fuh-sod or fack-aid?

by Anonymousreply 30April 22, 2024 6:39 PM

Cool Whip.

by Anonymousreply 31April 22, 2024 6:57 PM

[quote]The sounding of the T ... is practiced by two oddly consorted classes: the academic speakers who affect a more precise enunciation than their neighbors ... and the uneasy half-literates who who like to prove they can spell

Haha, these types of threads always remind me of one of my late Mom's favorite object lessons.

Haha, these types of threads always make me chuckle because of an old family story my late Mom (a former 1st grade teacher) would tell us.

Growing up in rural Upcountry SC, in the 30s-40s, Mom had a frenemy (is that still a word?) who always went about, putting on airs. One year Frenemy spent the summer in New York. When she returned to SC someone asked her if she likes New York. Drawing herself up and looking down her nose at her fellows, speaking all "proper" she said

[quote][bold]Oooohhh, DOES I!"[/bold]

And that was how Mom taught us kids about overcorrection, arrogance, and swanning.

by Anonymousreply 32April 22, 2024 7:30 PM

"Often" with the "t" pronounced, sounds uneducated to me.

But what really gets me, is people pronouncing "picture" as "pitcher".

It makes my skin crawl.

by Anonymousreply 33April 22, 2024 7:34 PM

R33 - That's none of your "Bidness"

by Anonymousreply 34April 22, 2024 8:15 PM

[quote]pronouncing "picture" as "pitcher".

[quote]It makes my skin crawl.

You're so right, R33. And it's weird and irritating when [allegedly] trained actors use that pronunciation.

I have so many of these in my "Grrrrrrr!!!" file, but here are two:

"Git" vs "Get." As a Southener I've been hit with "git" my entire life. Not to put anything negative on Shannen Doherty at this stage (not like she'll ever see it), but she is THE worst offender. My ears!

Another I've noticed in the last 25 years or so, is that (to my ears) Hispanic/Latino elision of "-ing" to "-een" seemingly has taken over, particularly among white Southern Californians. For example, watch Christina Hall (formerly El Moussa) in her Jacuzzi bath commercials. Every single gerund is pronounced as "een." Bath[italic]een,[/italic] Tak[italic]een,[/italic] Fix[italic]een,[/italic] etc.

by Anonymousreply 35April 22, 2024 8:46 PM

A photo of OP has been found.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36April 22, 2024 8:54 PM

[quote]Every single gerund is pronounced as "een." Batheen, Takeen, Fixeen, etc.

I am more irritated by the fact that almost NO ONE uses the correct pronoun in front of a gerund3 - it's the possessive form, people.

HIS bathing - NOT HIM bathing

THEIR taking - NOT THEM taking

MY fixing - NOT ME fixing

It's like a record scratch moment every time I hear it.

by Anonymousreply 37April 22, 2024 9:05 PM

R35 and R37 How do you feel about the phrase: "I'm fixin' to cum!" ?

by Anonymousreply 38April 22, 2024 9:39 PM

And when did everyone start using "went/gone" incorrectly?:

As in for example: "He had went to the store."

by Anonymousreply 39April 22, 2024 10:11 PM

R38, I think I'd be burst[italic]een[/italic] out with a fit of laugh[italic]een[/italic] last[italic]een[/italic] til the morn[italic]een[/italic] light.

by Anonymousreply 40April 22, 2024 10:13 PM

[quote][R35] and [R37] How do you feel about the phrase: "I'm fixin' to cum!" ?

r37 here - I'm fine with the phrase, but am appalled that you think there is a gerund in that colloquialism.

by Anonymousreply 41April 22, 2024 10:18 PM

R39, when I was a teen I was in the car with friends. My friend’s mother, who was haughty, was driving. One of my friends said something like, “I could’ve went with them.”

The mom sucked her teeth and proclaimed, “Could’ve went! You mean could’ve gone!”

Without missing a beat my friend replied, “Either way I would’ve been there.”

by Anonymousreply 42April 22, 2024 11:01 PM

To R42, that's an awesome comeback. That would have guaranteed a slap in the face or a hit upside the back of my head.

by Anonymousreply 43April 22, 2024 11:22 PM

R13 Some Northern New Jerseyans also say wooder.

by Anonymousreply 44April 23, 2024 4:21 AM

I’m from Providence, RI and still call water fountains “bubblers”. Or more phonetically “bubblahs”.

Then again I also say twenty-three skidoo all the time.

by Anonymousreply 45April 23, 2024 4:27 AM

The Pirates! The Pirates! Oh Despair!

by Anonymousreply 46April 23, 2024 4:44 AM

Affectation by one of those generations with a letter.

by Anonymousreply 47April 23, 2024 7:43 AM

Just please, pretty please, do not call California, "Cali". Just....no.

Other than that, meh.

by Anonymousreply 48April 23, 2024 8:00 AM

The “t” in often, like the “t” in soften and listen, have, historically, gone through phases where they have been pronounced in standard use. There have been quite a few such cycles for often since late Middle English. Now the cycle is slowly finding its way back to a non-silent t, not without much resistance.

Linguistic change is linguistic change, and sometimes it’s ineluctable.

by Anonymousreply 49April 23, 2024 8:48 AM

R45 - That’s “So’s your old man!”

by Anonymousreply 50April 23, 2024 10:25 AM

Another is the wrong use of 'grow'. You grow a plant or a tree grows. You don't grow a business. You expand a business or the business grows. The wrong use of grow makes me weep for those younger people who are the custodians of language.

by Anonymousreply 51April 23, 2024 11:26 AM

At some point you do have to accept it and just move on. The word "snuck" used to make my teeth hurt, but I slowly realized that I was the one being looked at weirdly for saying "sneaked." I had to give up the ghost and accept defeat.

There are still enough people pronouncing often without the T, so you haven't reached that point yet.

For the record, I gave up on "hanged" years ago.

by Anonymousreply 52April 23, 2024 11:59 AM

He wuz hung in the town square.

by Anonymousreply 53April 23, 2024 12:04 PM

Not spoken but it’s only in the past few years that I’ve seen paid written as payed. Now I see it all the time. How did this misspelling become so common?

by Anonymousreply 54April 23, 2024 12:08 PM

What about he was 'casted' in a play. Don't people know the past of the present cast is cast?

by Anonymousreply 55April 23, 2024 1:34 PM

Is it lack of a proper education? Is it language evolving? But 'without further ado' really has me stumped. It's like using the word 'juvenile' to describe a young leading man in a play. The Juvenile as opposed to the Ingenue.

by Anonymousreply 56April 23, 2024 2:00 PM

TROUBLE! For R45

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57April 23, 2024 4:00 PM

I had a department chair at the mediocre college at which I taught, who always wrote the phrase “vis-a-vis” as “visa vie.” That validated what I always thought—she was poorly educated trash.

by Anonymousreply 58April 23, 2024 4:05 PM

The sad devolution of the English language. The ones that really get me are “axe” instead of ask, and in sports when players say they played “aggressive” instead of aggressively.

by Anonymousreply 59April 23, 2024 4:18 PM

[quote] He wuz hung in the town square.

But he had a micropenis when he moved into the side streets.

by Anonymousreply 60April 23, 2024 6:56 PM

[quote]in sports when players say they played “aggressive” instead of aggressively.

I take it you rarely watch player interviews (especially right after a game, when emotions run high and English language filters collapse).

I haven't fingers and toes enough to count the times I've heard "spunt." First time was during the holidays when my brother (a career sports information director/Associate AD at a Florida university) was visiting.

We were watching an ESPN documentary on the phenomenon of the broke-ass irl/multi-millionaire (on paper) athlete. When one guy said "I done spunt it as quick as I had made it," I looked at BigBro, who said only "Yeah, you heard it right." Then he sighed. Deeply.

My heart (and ears) bled for him as a sports comms guy all those years, having to hear every day the dying cries of the English language. I was like, "Sorry, BigBro; I had no idea."

by Anonymousreply 61April 30, 2024 3:00 AM

I’ve noticed that some people annunciate the first ‘t’ in the word ‘important’. So it sounds like it’s spelled import-tant.

by Anonymousreply 62April 30, 2024 6:01 AM

There's a YouTuber that does that with any word with an internal "t", R62. Wat-ter, bet-ter, etc. It's maddening after a while.

by Anonymousreply 63April 30, 2024 6:46 AM

Yes, R62, I was just going to post that.

by Anonymousreply 64April 30, 2024 8:19 AM

The T in my "often" is silent.

The T in my "water" is audible.

That's all you need to know.

by Anonymousreply 65April 30, 2024 8:35 AM

When people don't pronounce the T in kitten. I hear younger Americans pronounce it ki-un.

by Anonymousreply 66April 30, 2024 9:55 AM

[quote]I tend to say "an 'erb garden" and "an 'istoric monument", especially if I'm speaking quickly.

Well, if ever your local community theater does "My Fair Lady," you're a shoe-in for Eliza.

by Anonymousreply 67April 30, 2024 10:03 AM

[quote] When people don't pronounce the T in kitten. I hear younger Americans pronounce it ki-un.

Are they from Lonk Guyland?

by Anonymousreply 68April 30, 2024 12:06 PM

The "t" in "often" is as necessary as the "p" in " raspberry."

by Anonymousreply 69April 30, 2024 12:32 PM

R7- You’re common because you say- The MOM and the sisters instead of the mother and the sisters 👯‍♀️.

by Anonymousreply 70April 30, 2024 12:37 PM

r59 Though mostly they're just being ignorant (about a person "playing aggressive"), a legitimate case can be made for "aggressive" in this locution being an objective complement. "Aggressive" here, looked at as an objective complement, describes the subject of the sentence ("the person is playing [to be] aggressive [in his conduct of the game]") rather than modifying the verb (as it would be in "he is playing aggressively").

Whatever the case, "aggressively" is the better, more natural, choice.

by Anonymousreply 71April 30, 2024 1:04 PM

[quote]Some Northern New Jerseyans also say wooder.

I always heard it more like "wawter."

by Anonymousreply 72April 30, 2024 1:18 PM

[quote]He was hung in the town square.

Which you knew because you were giving him a blowjob beneath one of the town azalea bushes?

by Anonymousreply 73April 30, 2024 1:21 PM

My friend used to pronounce shrimp as “srimp”. And said “Walmarts”. Drove me ape shit

by Anonymousreply 74April 30, 2024 1:22 PM

R74- My father would say

Saturday Night Alive

by Anonymousreply 75April 30, 2024 2:24 PM

The word is "Wooder" spelled "water'

by Anonymousreply 76April 30, 2024 3:17 PM

R76 = Edie Brickell

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77April 30, 2024 3:22 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!