Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is this really the world we want to live in?

This will just get worse. It feels so cold. Human interaction is dying. AI, robots, social media. It’s very sad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51April 24, 2024 2:49 PM

Hell, if you can get human interaction from a Gen Z store attendant you're doing really well.

by Anonymousreply 1April 22, 2024 2:00 PM

Yeah, like people are so pleasant to be around these days. Given the behavior and attitude of customer service people, I’d welcome a robot. And no tip required.

by Anonymousreply 2April 22, 2024 2:03 PM

I don't have a problem with this.

by Anonymousreply 3April 22, 2024 2:15 PM

I do have a problem with this. Where do you think all these workers are going to get jobs? Do you only care when it hurts you and yours?

Our government and business leaders have failed us. We have known this was coming for decades. What have we done to prepare? What have we done to shift workers? Whats our plan for the millions of displaced workers for who there will be no other work? What a goddamn joke we are. We used to be the leaders. Not anymore.

We are indeed a kleptocracy. If you don’t know what that means, look it up. America is getting robbed and raped, and the people who are being hurt the most are of course the most vulnerable.

by Anonymousreply 4April 22, 2024 2:23 PM

R4 also, what do these people do when they have no purpose in life and no job? Then no money. They come and rob you.

by Anonymousreply 5April 22, 2024 2:25 PM

This topic being discussed will really show you how stupid and lazy most humans are. They don’t think about the future, they don’t see the problem of the things that are coming. It’s sad how many people are just dumb fucking animals.

by Anonymousreply 6April 22, 2024 2:26 PM

OP is right. And human interaction from Gen Z is so terrible because of the 24/7 addiction to phones and other devices. Firing and replacing them with robots will make that even worse.

by Anonymousreply 7April 22, 2024 2:29 PM

[quote]Our government and business leaders have failed us. We have known this was coming for decades. What have we done to prepare? What have we done to shift workers?

Well, in California, they accelerated the replacement of shift workers at fast food with AI by raising minimum wage which effectively shortens the payback period, increases ROI, and dramatically improves the business case for upgrading technology.

I'm not saying this is right or wrong. It is simply how the math works on capital investment decisions in business.

by Anonymousreply 8April 22, 2024 2:42 PM

Looking forward to end of society, keep me posted.

by Anonymousreply 9April 22, 2024 2:54 PM

But someone still has to hand them the food- right?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10April 22, 2024 3:20 PM

That was stunningly slow compared to a person. there also will be issues if it, for whatever reason, can’t understand you.

Is the person and AI going to spend 10 minutes going back and forth holding up the line?

It isn’t there yet, and it will be years.

by Anonymousreply 11April 22, 2024 3:26 PM

If the AI gets my order right I don't see a problem. I once told a drive-through attendant when asked what I'd like. "What difference does it make you're going to give me whatever the hell you want anyway"

by Anonymousreply 12April 22, 2024 4:03 PM

I hope he "accidentally" spilled your drink on your lap when handing it to you, R12. You were being cunty for no reason.

by Anonymousreply 13April 22, 2024 4:05 PM

Fix your own problems, don't worry about this shit. Also: NAG NAG NAG.

by Anonymousreply 14April 22, 2024 4:09 PM

No it’s not the kind of world anyone should want to live in. Time to take hold of your miserable worthless life and get serious. Follow the light.

by Anonymousreply 15April 22, 2024 4:23 PM

[quote] I once told a drive-through attendant when asked what I'd like. "What difference does it make you're going to give me whatever the hell you want anyway"

I’m sure they didn’t spit in your food. Repeatedly.

by Anonymousreply 16April 22, 2024 4:26 PM

Human+car driving through to buy a chemical shake, seems like a worse and more dismal action than having to order it through A.I.

by Anonymousreply 17April 22, 2024 4:28 PM

Does it speak in Ebonics for black people and like the Frito-Bandito for Latins?

by Anonymousreply 18April 22, 2024 4:30 PM

Imagine when the AI car drives the robot delivery driver to pick up the cricket milkshake for the fat ass at home playing games on his Apple Vision Pro 13.

by Anonymousreply 19April 22, 2024 4:43 PM

@r16, "I’m sure they didn’t spit in your food. Repeatedly. "

I'm sure they did, but the guy behind me got that order, so who cares?

by Anonymousreply 20April 22, 2024 5:01 PM

Hold the pickles hold the lettuce special orders don't upset us

by Anonymousreply 21April 22, 2024 9:41 PM

I mean, it's a drive thru lane for fast food. You never get human interaction from those anyway.

It's not like you'll get this in sit-down restaurants.

The people complaining about this will be the same luddites who cry over self checkouts.

by Anonymousreply 22April 22, 2024 10:30 PM

The chicken places in New York are not outsourcing to AI, rather the clerks are in the Philippines and earning $3 an hour to take your order. Apparently they’re very friendly and offer human interaction (so long as the WiFi is strong).

by Anonymousreply 23April 22, 2024 11:36 PM

It seems to be a thing that society is falling apart. Yet, I was pleased to hear recently that young guys actually discuss such things as hairless, depression, sexuality and many other things previous generations of men didn't open up about. So maybe all hope isn't lost...yet.

by Anonymousreply 24April 22, 2024 11:43 PM

*Hairloss

by Anonymousreply 25April 22, 2024 11:43 PM

I wonder how the AI drive-thru attendant reacts to dirty talk.

by Anonymousreply 26April 22, 2024 11:53 PM

Screen addiction across society. All our needs are being met there, I guess. Dopamine is a helluva drug.

by Anonymousreply 27April 23, 2024 12:11 AM

"Welcome to Whataburger, what artery clogger do you want" =/= human interaction.

Most person-to-person customer service experiences today =/= human interaction.

Gotta love the posters in this thread feigning interest in the lives of minimum wage workers. Americans are enamored by the fantasy that they can uplift the plight of the downtrodden by throwing money at them. Probably the same people who support tipping everywhere at 25 percent so they can do their part for everyone to have a livable wage. Tomorrow it will be 30 percent.

And spare me the government has failed us arguments. We elect bozos like Trump and Biden (yeah, he's one too). We get what we deserve.

by Anonymousreply 28April 23, 2024 12:17 AM

R24

Soft gentle sensitive easily triggered and full of Dx and pills and drugs, yes the young men of today by and large are different than the many generations that came before. None will call this group The Greatest Generation.

Glad you see this as full of hope

“I am not a lazy slug with no job have a mental illness”

by Anonymousreply 29April 23, 2024 10:41 AM

[quote]I do have a problem with this. Where do you think all these workers are going to get jobs?

Grow up, things change and for every "robot" there always needs to be another working showing people how to use it, monitor it, step in and take over when it fails.

by Anonymousreply 30April 23, 2024 10:46 AM

R30

That in time will be done by other robots. Welfare wide spread national welfare for the many many more millions that will not have a job there is the best future you can hope for..

by Anonymousreply 31April 23, 2024 10:50 AM

It's going to be a long, long time before we have a robot who can troubleshoot another robot in a commercial setting and not a lab. You will be dead before that.

by Anonymousreply 32April 23, 2024 10:54 AM

We could be dead before tomorrow. But as a history major I understand the concept of a future. Not everything unfolds within a 1-5-10 year period.

Wide spread national welfare for those that have no jobs. Feed them house them sterilize them let them fuck and eat ass all day.

by Anonymousreply 33April 23, 2024 11:13 AM

For fast food restaurants, they can replace everything, including all workers with A.I. I don't care. For real restaurants that serve real food, then everyone should be human, classy and friendly.

by Anonymousreply 34April 23, 2024 11:27 AM

OP, thanks for posting your outrage about the death of social interaction on an anonymous gossip board.

You're a real paragon.

by Anonymousreply 35April 23, 2024 11:30 AM

No, but it's the world that the .5% of psychopaths with all the wealth and power want to live in. They want us dead ASAP.

by Anonymousreply 36April 23, 2024 12:36 PM

R26 Probably feign ignorance along the lines of: "I'm sorry, I didn't understand that. Can you please repeat?" On the understanding that admonishing someone for using bad language will encourage them further.

by Anonymousreply 37April 23, 2024 1:47 PM

R32 That's a good point. Modern day AI isn't that intelligent. It relies on ingesting information, doing simple analysis and then regurgitating the same information (albeit slightly amended).

A robot that could easily detect and repair all the main reasons other robots can go wrong is a long way off. OK yes, you could program the most common causes of malfunction but they'll fall over if they need to use initiative or think outside their programming.

by Anonymousreply 38April 23, 2024 1:52 PM

R38

Heavy lifting and hard work by actual humans? If the lifting is hard or the work conditions tough we know that Hispanics will continue to have jobs

by Anonymousreply 39April 23, 2024 2:10 PM

I for one welcome our new AI drive thru overlords.

by Anonymousreply 40April 23, 2024 3:42 PM

I would like to see humanity die for once and for all.

by Anonymousreply 41April 23, 2024 3:50 PM

AI + Robots for the heavy lifting + high quality sex machines that woman can sit on at a reasonable cost, +lab made sperm

The men may not have jobs but they should be happy if they are kept around at all. And of course they won’t be. Abortions will solve that

The day will come where woman and trans will be like the bad apes in Planet of the Apes . Evolution there are winners and losers and it sucks to be a loser.

by Anonymousreply 42April 23, 2024 3:50 PM

Drive throughs, yucky.🤮

by Anonymousreply 43April 23, 2024 4:01 PM

I see nothing wrong with this

by Anonymousreply 44April 23, 2024 4:03 PM

R41, like Michael Jackson, you should start with the man in the mirror.

by Anonymousreply 45April 23, 2024 5:55 PM

[quote]I do have a problem with this. Where do you think all these workers are going to get jobs?

No fast food worker has ever been given the singular responsibility of taking people's orders in the drive through line. That person also retrieves the food from the cook and/or heat lamp, pours the drinks, assembles the order, rings you up (although I'm assuming that task can also easily be replaced by AI), and does any number of opening/closing/cleaning duties in the restaurant.

No one is losing their job at Wendy's over this or having their wages slashed as far as we know, they're just having their load ever so slightly lightened. It's not like fast food workers were paid more when they had to manually figure out your change than they were when the cash register started doing it for them.

by Anonymousreply 46April 23, 2024 6:13 PM

I can't wait for the A.I. burgers to come out with computer simulated pickles and ketchup.

by Anonymousreply 47April 24, 2024 12:27 PM

Is human interaction at a drive something you're really going to miss?

by Anonymousreply 48April 24, 2024 1:04 PM

Sex, live in partners, someone to depend on in old age, someone to talk to,

AI will have it all covered. People will have to find other reasons to be depressed or unhappy. But when they do find those reasons they will now have a LTR that will want to hear your sad story and won’t care how many times you tell it.

Real people take a lot of work and often disappoint

by Anonymousreply 49April 24, 2024 1:30 PM

I know people who work in retail and with self checkout they still can’t find enough people it will be fine

by Anonymousreply 50April 24, 2024 2:34 PM

If you're driving thru for a chocolate frosty you get what you get.

by Anonymousreply 51April 24, 2024 2:49 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!