Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Columbia University cancels in person classes as sit-in continues

It’s like the sixties! So much fun!

And the DNC in Chicago too. How fortuitous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48April 24, 2024 6:31 PM

wow what bullshit. what has this school got to do with the war? students in lab courses should sue

by Anonymousreply 1April 22, 2024 1:59 PM

Already in the Columbia protests thread.

by Anonymousreply 2April 22, 2024 2:13 PM

Which is where, R2? Link?

by Anonymousreply 3April 22, 2024 2:20 PM

These fucking idiots are going to end up facilitating the destruction of this country and the world with their antisemitic bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 4April 22, 2024 2:23 PM

Spreading to MIT and Emerson. Harvard Yard is closed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5April 22, 2024 2:29 PM

Yale

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6April 22, 2024 2:32 PM

Oh god, now they’re “Occupy”?

by Anonymousreply 7April 22, 2024 2:32 PM

Chickens have come home to roost The elite schools deserve all this grief plus more. And the weather is nice now so it can be an anti Zionist party everyday. Just as a reminder all the protests in 1968 including at the Dem Convention ushered in a Nixon Presidency. After that with the exception of Carter, the Republicans controlled the White House for the next 24 years!

by Anonymousreply 8April 22, 2024 2:38 PM

They won’t stop until every woman is in a burka and every gay is Trans’d or tossed off a building.

by Anonymousreply 9April 22, 2024 2:39 PM

Why don’t the protestors move to Palestine?

by Anonymousreply 10April 22, 2024 2:40 PM

Here you go r3

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11April 22, 2024 2:40 PM

It’s not lost on me that this narrative started decades ago with ultra woke Jewish professors and admin, who spewed anti-white colonizer smear bullshit, and now horseshoe theory is in action and the monsters they created are coming back to eat them.

by Anonymousreply 12April 22, 2024 2:41 PM

They'll protest and shut down the Democratic Convention this summer, but won't go near the Republican one and it will shift all the momentum back to Trump. This even though Trump is staunchly pro-Israel and anti-Muslim on multiple levels higher than Biden.

Trump will be elected and that will be the end of Gaza and any peaceful life for Palestinians in the West Bank. These idiots, no foresight or forward planning.

by Anonymousreply 13April 22, 2024 2:54 PM

Palestine is a terrorist state that murders gays. Fuck them and the little terrorists in training that they’re raising.

by Anonymousreply 14April 22, 2024 2:57 PM

Those kids need to get drunk and get laid, which is what college students are supposed to do.

by Anonymousreply 15April 22, 2024 2:59 PM

It’s entirely likely the murder of aide workers was designed to escalate this. Netanyahu wants a Trump reelection.

by Anonymousreply 16April 22, 2024 3:03 PM

Islamists are going to give us World War III

by Anonymousreply 17April 22, 2024 3:08 PM

Why is the war still dragging out? It should have wrapped up by Christmas.

It is dragging out to influence the US Presidential election. Netanyahu’s goals are unachievable under a Democratic administration.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 22, 2024 3:20 PM

Some people go to university to learn. I sure did. Aa a STEM guy, lecture, labs, snd studying were actually important. Didn't have time for this kind of bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 19April 22, 2024 3:34 PM

Shifting to online work, helpfully trialled in the pandemic, surely takes the wind out of these protests?

by Anonymousreply 20April 22, 2024 4:17 PM

R12, yes, the anti-colonist and anti-"white" movement was spearheaded by leftist/ultra-liberal Jewish pundits and academicians. (I put "white" in quotes because it appears the Palestinians are being characterized as "brown" even though the average Palestinian's skin is the exact same shade of "white" as the average Israeli's.)

Radical movements always turn upon themselves eventually, like a snake eating its own tale. I'd say this turn of events is ironic, but it's not; it should have been expected.

by Anonymousreply 21April 22, 2024 4:34 PM

Teaching the facts of history is not "extremist" or "Radical".

by Anonymousreply 22April 22, 2024 6:08 PM

We have the Chinese virus to thank for this type of practice.

by Anonymousreply 23April 22, 2024 6:39 PM

The so-called "state" of Israel has been nothing but trouble.

"Birthright", my ass.

by Anonymousreply 24April 22, 2024 6:49 PM

[quote]Why is the war still dragging out? It should have wrapped up by Christmas. It is dragging out to influence the US Presidential election. Netanyahu’s goals are unachievable under a Democratic administration.

Christ you pro-Hamas idiots never give up. It continues on because Hamas won’t return the hostages, Hamas still controls parts of the region and they have refused any proposed cease fire anyway.

by Anonymousreply 25April 22, 2024 7:07 PM

The Jewish academics who pushed anticolonialism most likely support the protesters.

There are two problems which have caused this issue to escalate:

1. Israel supporters and Jewish groups who conflate any kind of criticism of Israel with antisemitism. If you police your critics and insist that what they do is based on bigotry, after a while you no longer care and no longer try to police yourself. You no longer care about having a dialogue, or making differentiation on Jews and Israelis having different viewpoints other than the loudest ones. If you call every Palestinian sovereignty supporter “Hamas”, then Hamas no longer becomes a boogieman! I support abortion rights, I get babykiller lobbed at me. I simply don’t care. Call me whatever you want, I know my support for abortion rights is not based on babykilling. I won’t stop supporting it, you can’t shame me.

2. The protestors having no set clear goals or willingness to have dialogue. What is the goal? Divestment? Do you have a list of their investments that are supporting Israel’s war? Guess what, if you are a taxpayer, you are funding it too! “Israel has got to go!” Where? Where do you put all those people now? Israel is their home too. The protests should have focused on achievable goals “Ceasefire now! Two state solution now!” but they have settled on “from the river to the sea” rhetoric - Palestine is not getting the borders of the Palestinian mandate back! All Palestine can hope for is a two state solution with the Palestinian authority as government. And even that is not good enough because the Gaza Strip is a TERRIBLE idea. Palestine needs contiguous borders. Exchange Gaza for more contiguous territory to the West Bank, or let Egypt annex it. It is simply unsustainable as a satellite home for Palestinians.

by Anonymousreply 26April 22, 2024 7:15 PM

Columbia, you in danger girl!

by Anonymousreply 27April 22, 2024 7:19 PM

Well, the Palestinians are daring to resist Israeli plans to colonize Gaza by continuing to exist, so the Israelis are systematically killing and starving them.

Using that same logic, Zionists, why aren’t you demanding that these students all be gunned down? Their right to dissent and freedom of expression doesn’t extend to opinions and political expression about Israel. No one can oppose US support for that state without paying with their lives.

by Anonymousreply 28April 22, 2024 7:19 PM

R26 I think what you’re stating is also about where WhiteEuroAmericans are with the BLM crowd. They overplayed their hand to the point of exhaustion.

by Anonymousreply 29April 22, 2024 9:47 PM

[quote]And even that is not good enough because the Gaza Strip is a TERRIBLE idea. Palestine needs contiguous borders. Exchange Gaza for more contiguous territory to the West Bank, or let Egypt annex it. It is simply unsustainable as a satellite home for Palestinians.

Thank you for stating what is very unpopular but should be obvious. Having two Palestinian non-adjacent geographic areas, framing the state of Israel (one to the west and one east) is not sustainable for anyone involved. How would a two state solution work? Would Gazans be able to freely travel across the Israeli territory to the WB and vice versa?

Either get with a three-state solution, or move the Gazans to the WB after granting more land there. Of course Bibi and his minions will resist the latter with full force, but something has to be done.

by Anonymousreply 30April 22, 2024 9:51 PM

Haifa should be ceded. The new state can have Haifa to Lebanon as their coast. The Palestinian West Bank should be narrowed, end at Jerusalem, yet extended all the way to Syria and Lebanon. Israel can lose those borders. The Israelis should do their best to let Palestine build a strong state - democratic and developed. Israel gets Gaza Strip. Jared Kushner can develop it, after all, into luxury sea side properties.

by Anonymousreply 31April 22, 2024 10:01 PM

There is no such place as "Palestine" and there are no such things as 'Palestinians". Their language doesn't even have the "P" sound. It's all propaganda and bullshit.

The two-state solution was on the table from the beginning and the muslim arabs rejected it.

Meanwhile, the muslim arab states surrounding Israel ethnically cleansed all jewish people from their lands (by 98-100%) while claiming Israel (whose muslim population INCREASED over the same 80 year period) is an "apartheid state".

Such utter fucking bullshit.

Israel has a right to exist, and in spite of Netanyahu (Israel's own Trump) is is a beacon of democracy, equality, and sanity in the region, along with having some of the highest average standards of living compared to all its neighbors.

The area is war-torn and backwards due to the Muslims and Arabs, not Israel. They could have had peace decades ago. The so-called "Palestinians" could have had a self-governing homeland decades ago, but continually rejected it in favor of pursuing a policy of "The Destruction of Israel and Genocide of Jewish People". They reap what they sow now.

Fuck Hamas, Fuck Terrorists, and fuck any moron that chooses them over Israel's right to exist and defend itself.

by Anonymousreply 32April 22, 2024 10:38 PM

Columbia, MIT, and Yale are playing too nice. Suspension isn't enough, move towards expulsion and see how many students remain.

by Anonymousreply 33April 22, 2024 11:03 PM

R33 exactly private universities don’t guarantee free speech

by Anonymousreply 34April 22, 2024 11:05 PM

[quote]Well, the Palestinians are daring to resist Israeli plans to colonize Gaza

Israel already de-colonized Gaza in 2005.

by Anonymousreply 35April 22, 2024 11:10 PM

Almost like the powers that be at trying form a civil war in academia. I mean, tearing down the brightest minds, why would you do that? There could be any number of motives. Jews are a force in academia, so there is an obvious motive. Diversity is accepted but something was found to drive a wedge in that environment.

by Anonymousreply 36April 22, 2024 11:12 PM

[quote] Islamists are going to give us World War III

yes, that's the inevitable consequence of Columbia holding classes online for the last week of the semester.

What a reasonable conclusion to draw.

by Anonymousreply 37April 22, 2024 11:18 PM

r37 look at the world.

by Anonymousreply 38April 22, 2024 11:40 PM

[quote]The area is war-torn and backwards due to the Muslims and Arabs, not Israel. They could have had peace decades ago. The so-called "Palestinians" could have had a self-governing homeland decades ago, but continually rejected it in favor of pursuing a policy of "The Destruction of Israel and Genocide of Jewish People". They reap what they sow now.

100% correct. Islam is incompatible with civilzed society. They're forever pissed off and fighting everybody.

They need to accept the fact that Jews and Israel aren't going anywhere and face reality.

by Anonymousreply 39April 22, 2024 11:41 PM

I have never seen the kind of blatant anti-semitism in the US in my lifetime than what is happening right now.

by Anonymousreply 40April 22, 2024 11:42 PM

…and it’s a “liberal” value now to top it off. 🙄

by Anonymousreply 41April 23, 2024 4:40 AM

It's not, R41. Antisemitism is big with the far left, but not with liberals.

by Anonymousreply 42April 23, 2024 5:33 AM

Please take these pointless protests to Israel. The university has nothing to do with Israel.

by Anonymousreply 43April 23, 2024 5:41 AM

If they are protesting for Columbia to divest (endowment wealth) from Israeli corporations - I can agree it's a cogent argument. I don't necessarily agree but it's a legitimate protest by students of their own university.

Don't shout at me. I realise most of them are not there to protest about banking practices.

by Anonymousreply 44April 23, 2024 12:43 PM

The ghosts of the Kent State protestors are wondering why this shis is put up with.

by Anonymousreply 45April 24, 2024 3:36 AM

R44, there's nothing cogent about that argument. It's pure antisemitism. It's utterly stupid.

It's not a legitimate protest. It's pure bullshit.

Expel them all. Seriously. These fucking idiots are trash.

by Anonymousreply 46April 24, 2024 2:42 PM

You can protest the continued victimization and bombing of Palestinian civilians in Gaza and NOT invoke support for Hamas or the brutal attacks of Oct 7th. You can support ending of the bombings, while condemning the terrorism. They are NOT mutually exclusive.

By similar vein, you can support a safe, thriving state of Israel and the continued security of its citizens while condemning their corrupt current government (Bibi and his warmongering minions). I truly believe most sane Americans can understand these issues and subtlety of these views. These idiotic students refuse to do so.

by Anonymousreply 47April 24, 2024 5:40 PM

But you can't really support Israel engaging in a unilateral ceasefire while Hamas refuses to release prisoners and hostages, while tirelessly preparing to engage in yet another October 7th attack (and vocally PROMISING more such attacks).

Absolutely condemn Netanyahu... he's Israel's very own version of Trump. He's awful. He's the worst. But Hamas is even worse than him.

ALSO?? You can protest the deaths of civilians without viciously intimidating and attacking Jewish people and businesses here in the US that had nothing to do with anything that is going on in the Middle East.

by Anonymousreply 48April 24, 2024 6:31 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!