Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Can you legally write your own Will?

If you don't have the money to afford an attorney?

You know, for things like final wishes, etc. Not necessarily for finances, but for finances also.

I don't have much, but I'd like to designate someone to carry out my final wishes.

I'm thinking of just writing a letter and signing it. Is that legally enforceable as a Will?

by Anonymousreply 17April 21, 2024 8:04 PM

Google it, you lazy whore

by Anonymousreply 1April 21, 2024 5:50 PM

Laws vary by state and there are DIY will kits online. You may be able to approach it your way, but your signature needs to be witnessed and notarized and the letter filed with the court.

by Anonymousreply 2April 21, 2024 5:53 PM

I did mines then tucked it in the couch

by Anonymousreply 3April 21, 2024 5:56 PM

A person may execute a holographic will which must be entirely written, dated, and signed by the hand of the testator himself (or whatever). Laws vary from state to state, but they are generally accepted as legal.

by Anonymousreply 4April 21, 2024 5:59 PM

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 5April 21, 2024 6:02 PM

Use AI.

by Anonymousreply 6April 21, 2024 6:04 PM

Check out trust&will.com.

If your an AARP member you get a discount and it's very affordable compared to hiring an attorney. It's also approved by the Council on Aging and my bank is endorsing it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7April 21, 2024 6:10 PM

R4 is correct. My mother did this and we had no problems, no one looked twice at it. I'm in California but I believe most states accept hand written (holographic) wills.

Witnesses are not necessary but there cannot be ANY CROSSOUTS or marks other than the writing. Sign and date it.

Designate your executor and make sure you write "I waive bond". This means you do not require insurance for the executer you name and/or any heirs.My mother didn't know about this and we had to pay the court bond and get waivers of bond from everyone named in will. It was the only hassle we had, but a big one. Anyway, just write it, you don't have to understand it.

It makes sense to do this even though you eventually go to an attorney anyway. It's easy and valid so if anything happens to you on the way to the lawyer you've got something.

by Anonymousreply 8April 21, 2024 6:11 PM

Thank you, R7 and R8!!

by Anonymousreply 9April 21, 2024 6:15 PM

Of course you can. You just need to check your state’s laws to see what you need to do to make it effective.

You may need one or more people to witness it to make it effective, and/or you may need it to be notarized.

Also the way you can effectively cut someone out of inheritance may depend on your states law. All round, it’s safer to have a lawyer do it.

Of course, you’ll be dead so you won’t know the difference.

by Anonymousreply 10April 21, 2024 6:19 PM

Make sure to check rules in your state. Fewer states than I thought accept holographic wills. New York and Maryland only accept them if you're in the military.

by Anonymousreply 11April 21, 2024 6:34 PM

Why the fuck is a holographic will named that way? Who thought that term would be a good idea?

by Anonymousreply 12April 21, 2024 7:00 PM

This Wiki article explains which states accept the HW and which ones don't.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13April 21, 2024 7:01 PM

FWIW - my stepfather is a few states away in a Veteran's home. He wanted to make a new will, so his social worker arranged an appointment at the local Agency for the Aging. They did it for free. I don't know if this agency is federal or state. They helped him with the right wording and concept, so it wouldn't require probate and would be as simple as possible. It was notarized.

by Anonymousreply 14April 21, 2024 7:09 PM

[quote]Can you legally write your own Will?

Unless you are asking, too lazy to look it up yourself, about the legality of writing someone you own named "Will," the capitalization is embarrassing.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 15April 21, 2024 7:15 PM

Eforms.com

by Anonymousreply 16April 21, 2024 7:24 PM

[quote] You know, for things like final wishes, etc. Not necessarily for finances, but for finances also.

People will be happy to take the money, but possibly not so enthusiastic about seeing to your final wishes. What kids of final wishes did you have in mind?

by Anonymousreply 17April 21, 2024 8:04 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!