Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Scientists find self awareness in many animals

I think this is fascinating. I know most mammals are and even octopi, which has been obvious to most, but tiny little fish is surprising. I definitely think spiders are.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15April 21, 2024 7:31 PM

Dollface thread.

by Anonymousreply 1April 21, 2024 4:54 PM

They have self-awareness? Clearly they are operating on a higher level than Lauren Boebert, then.

by Anonymousreply 2April 21, 2024 5:16 PM

Self-aware dollface thread!

by Anonymousreply 3April 21, 2024 5:16 PM

I knew sweet little bees had to be sentient.

by Anonymousreply 4April 21, 2024 5:19 PM

Soulface thread.

by Anonymousreply 5April 21, 2024 5:28 PM

Researchers then marked the fish with a brown splotch under the skin, intended to resemble a parasite. Some fish tried to rub the mark off.

CRUEL!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 6April 21, 2024 5:32 PM

As a gardener I can tell you birds, frogs, toads, bees, spiders are sentient.

Weeds are smart in certain ways. They will plant themselves near a real plant and disguise themselves as a version of the real plant. You say, “Hey I think my xxx has made a baby. Yahoo. I love this plant and it’s expensive. I’m so glad it’s spreading. I’ll transplant it later in the season.”

Time goes by and then one day the weed reveals its true self by going rogue … in the matter of a few days, it’s giant, it produced and dropped seeds all around, and it’s now got a taproot that’s 3 feet deep and twice as wide as your thumb.

by Anonymousreply 7April 21, 2024 5:41 PM

Every single living organism is programmed to pass its genes along. It's the DNA, not necessarily sentience. It's why some flowers like poppies open and face the sun.

by Anonymousreply 8April 21, 2024 6:36 PM

Big deal.

by Anonymousreply 9April 21, 2024 6:40 PM

^^^^drop kicks kittens for fun.

by Anonymousreply 10April 21, 2024 6:41 PM

I used to have a little jumping spider that lived somewhere behind my desk. It would come out and watch me whenever I was on my computer and loved to play hide and seek. He wasn't afraid at all. He seemed curious and friendly.

by Anonymousreply 11April 21, 2024 6:53 PM

[quote] animal consciousness, saying even insects may be sentient

WHEN THE WORLD IS ENDING and there is only Cher and cockroaches left, the roaches will rally and know to worship the Queen.

by Anonymousreply 12April 21, 2024 7:23 PM

KRYSTLE: Did I forget to mention? I just got off the phone with my doctor. Blake is the father of my baby. We're having a boy. Another Carrington heir!

ALEXIS: Congratulations.... Not that it's all that special. I mean, even worms can procreate.

by Anonymousreply 13April 21, 2024 7:26 PM

I think the only reason people are resistant to the idea is then we have to answer for and maybe feel guilty about our cruelty toward animals..

by Anonymousreply 14April 21, 2024 7:28 PM

Shentienshe.

by Anonymousreply 15April 21, 2024 7:31 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!