Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Google CEO tells staffers the office is not a place to ‘debate politics’

Google CEO Sundar Pichai laid down the law to his global workforce after firing 28 workers who stormed company offices to protest the Big Tech giant’s ties to Israel.

In a heated 1,200-word memo, Pichai wrote Google “is a business, and not a place to act in a way that disrupts co-workers or makes them feel unsafe, to attempt to use the company as a personal platform, or to fight over disruptive issues or debate politics.”

“This is too important a moment as a company for us to be distracted,” he added in the memo sent late Thursday.

Pichai broke his silence two days after workers staged 10-hour sit-ins at the search giant’s offices in New York, Seatte and Sunnyvale, Calif., to attack Google’s $1.2 billion “Project Nimbus” contract with the Israel’s government as part of a “No Tech for Genocide Day of Action.”

Nine workers were arrested before Google ended up axing 28 staffers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30April 22, 2024 2:19 AM

[quote] The fired staffers were affiliated No Tech For Apartheid, which has been critical of Google’s response to the Israel-Hamas war and $1.2 billion “Project Nimbus” contract — in which Google Cloud and Amazon Web Services provide cloud-computing and artificial intelligence services for the Israeli government and military.

[quote] Google rival Meta — the parent of social media giants Facebook and Instagram — has similar policies at its Menlo Park, Calif., headquarters, where it tells staffers they cannot discuss issues including “health matters such as vaccine efficacy and abortion, legal matters such as pending legislation, political matters such as elections or political movements, and weapon ownership and rights.”

Good luck with that.

by Anonymousreply 1April 21, 2024 2:02 PM

He's right.

by Anonymousreply 2April 21, 2024 2:06 PM

I can’t imagine demonstrating for some political cause at the office. Totally unprofessional. These kids are so impressed with themselves they can’t adapt to their environment.

by Anonymousreply 3April 21, 2024 2:09 PM

He's 100% correct.

by Anonymousreply 4April 21, 2024 2:23 PM

You don't discuss politics or salaries at the office.

by Anonymousreply 5April 21, 2024 2:24 PM

Imagine giving up a good Google job for this bullshit. Insanity.

by Anonymousreply 6April 21, 2024 2:26 PM

Murdoch NY Post intern at it again; getting clicks and SEO for people who hate gays

by Anonymousreply 7April 21, 2024 2:27 PM

R7 grow up! None of us is a schoolgirl anymore.

by Anonymousreply 8April 21, 2024 2:35 PM

Good. Its a pity he didnt have the courage to outright call them out for antisemitism and reveal that movements neo-Nazi connections (something Google of all outfits is particularly well placed to do) but at least he fired 28 of them, its a good start. I appreciate him doing the right thing even if he had to cloak it in business jargon

by Anonymousreply 9April 21, 2024 2:37 PM

good!

by Anonymousreply 10April 21, 2024 4:13 PM

Mama-San is going beat their asses for getting fired from Google over a bunch of Arabs

Papa-San and I escaped Asia and have slaved our entire life working in a laundry for your entire ungrateful life to put you through school and to give you a better life in America…and this what you do? BAMBOO SLIVERS underneath your fingernails until you shape up Ming Lee!

by Anonymousreply 11April 21, 2024 4:28 PM

I hate to defend an evil corporation like Google, but these fucking "pro-Palestinian" protesters are the fucking worst, and Google was absolutely right to fire their asses. Fuck them.

by Anonymousreply 12April 21, 2024 4:37 PM

[quote] Its a pity he didnt have the courage to outright call them out for antisemitism and reveal that movements neo-Nazi connections

Oh, do shut up, Mary!

by Anonymousreply 13April 21, 2024 4:50 PM

R13 read and learn

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14April 21, 2024 4:58 PM

[quote] You don't discuss politics or salaries at the office.

There should be a law protecting discussion of compensation among co-workers. That policy of silence, reinforced by a culture of shame, has enabled horrible wage inequality. White collar professionals do not have labor unions and can be exploited.

by Anonymousreply 15April 21, 2024 5:07 PM

Take that pro-Hamas shit to Gaza where you belong.

by Anonymousreply 16April 21, 2024 5:11 PM

This is what happens when you shit where you eat.

by Anonymousreply 17April 21, 2024 5:20 PM

I wonder how they’ll attempt a sit in at the unemployment office.

by Anonymousreply 18April 21, 2024 5:25 PM

R14 doesn’t know what “opinion” means.

by Anonymousreply 19April 21, 2024 7:05 PM

I'm all for Free Speech, but the workplace is the workplace.

Do your protests on your own time, on public property.

These people stupidly protested at their workplace, during work hours.

How could they not expect to be fired?

by Anonymousreply 20April 21, 2024 7:09 PM

It's all just performative, clout-chasing and posing until you get fired from your $185,000 a year job.

by Anonymousreply 21April 21, 2024 7:10 PM

I absolutely think they were under the impression they would not get fired. You also got to laugh at the use of masks, as if Google of all places wouldn't have ways of identifying them.

by Anonymousreply 22April 21, 2024 7:13 PM

R11 yes I can't help but think of all the Asian tiger moms working sixty hours a week, taking their kids of violin lessons 3 times a week, and spending huge sums on SAT tutors just to see their kids get fired for protesting a war thousands of miles away from where they live now or where their ancestors came from.

by Anonymousreply 23April 21, 2024 7:13 PM

Look at the pig tails on this one, it's like a photo of nursery school kids.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24April 21, 2024 7:33 PM

Is there an ongoing COVID surge at Google HQ right now? Why is everyone wearing a mask?

by Anonymousreply 25April 21, 2024 7:34 PM

I’m sure Google has an employee manual and I’m sure it stipulates regulations about on premises conduct.

On the other hand, this makes a strong case for work from home employees.

by Anonymousreply 26April 21, 2024 7:47 PM

R14 that's an opinion piece, not facts.

by Anonymousreply 27April 21, 2024 7:50 PM

These people need to get over the fact that is IS NO Palestine..they have Gaza, go take care of it

by Anonymousreply 28April 21, 2024 7:50 PM

Well put it away haha

by Anonymousreply 29April 21, 2024 7:53 PM

"Keffiyeh Karens" learning the hard way!

by Anonymousreply 30April 22, 2024 2:19 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!