Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I'm currently rewatching Batman '66

This show really got big stars, George Sanders, Anne Baxter, and Cesar Romero among others.

I also just realized that the show borrowed heavily from the old movie serials from the 30s and 40s.

Aunt Harriet was added so that people wouldn't think that Bruce and Dick were up to shenanigans.

by Anonymousreply 65April 22, 2024 10:20 PM

ABC celebrated its 25th anniversary with a TV special in the 1970s, and for it they brought back many of the famous actors who had played the villains to sit together at a tabel, and they just laughed their asses off when the clips of themselves in costume on the show appeared.

by Anonymousreply 1April 21, 2024 4:04 AM

Tallulah Bankhead, drunk off her ass.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2April 21, 2024 4:10 AM

Who did Anne Baxter play? Vicki Vale?

by Anonymousreply 3April 21, 2024 4:22 AM

r3 - Evil Eve

by Anonymousreply 4April 21, 2024 4:24 AM

Ethel Merman did an episode or two. Pure camp!

by Anonymousreply 5April 21, 2024 4:26 AM

I loved that show when I was a kid and it ran in syndication.

by Anonymousreply 6April 21, 2024 4:27 AM

Anne played Zelda the Great.

by Anonymousreply 7April 21, 2024 4:29 AM

Didn't get it until I was almost 40, but after seeing it digitally cleaned up I fell in love - particularly season 1 - it is a perfect snapshot of 1966 color tv - the colors and details are canon and it screams NEW! COLOR! TV! The guest villains are mostly fun and I was born three weeks after it premiered so I've been subjected to it my whole life.

by Anonymousreply 8April 21, 2024 4:46 AM

AND, R7, she played Olga, Queen of the Cossacks!

by Anonymousreply 9April 21, 2024 5:12 AM

There was Carolyn Jones as Marsha Queen of Diamonds.

One time the ending predicament was the wedding of Batman and Marsha.

Talk about a trap.

by Anonymousreply 10April 21, 2024 5:25 AM

Lola Lasagna!

by Anonymousreply 11April 21, 2024 5:28 AM

Joan Collins was a villain, but it sadly turned into typecasting for her.

by Anonymousreply 12April 21, 2024 10:32 AM

Camp? Never!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13April 21, 2024 11:01 AM

The celebrity cameos when the dynamic duo are scaling the sides of buildings are great.

by Anonymousreply 14April 21, 2024 11:55 AM

Robin was so hot/good looking

He always looked like he was ready to FUCK and had a constant HARD ON.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15April 21, 2024 1:11 PM

In my rewatch I have totally picked up on how hot Burt Ward was. Totally went over my 12-year-old head when I first watched this in syndicated reruns in the 80s. Ward is strikingly good looking. Adam West was no slouch either.

by Anonymousreply 16April 21, 2024 1:35 PM

I'm sure there's a sequence in which Robin is prone and tied up, which is...evocative. Others may be less lazy than me and search.

by Anonymousreply 17April 21, 2024 1:37 PM

I mean, Robin being tied up I believe contributed to a lot of people with bondage kinks.

I think we must also mention Miss Shelly Winters as Ma Parker.

In Gotham City, she’s a very skinny lady.

by Anonymousreply 18April 21, 2024 1:42 PM

How fascinating, OP.

by Anonymousreply 19April 21, 2024 1:50 PM

It's on Saturday and Sunday mornings on Heroes & Icons network......and of course on late Saturday nights after the awful SVENGOOLIE on METv.

by Anonymousreply 20April 21, 2024 1:59 PM

“I also just realized that the show borrowed heavily from the old movie serials from the 30s and 40s”

Op rode in the special bus all the way through elementary school…

by Anonymousreply 21April 21, 2024 2:02 PM

Fuck you R21. I wasn't a movie buff growing up, didn't discover those movie serials until YouTube.

by Anonymousreply 22April 21, 2024 2:06 PM

Now you sound even worse…

by Anonymousreply 23April 21, 2024 2:08 PM

[quote]Aunt Harriet was added so that people wouldn't think that Bruce and Dick were up to shenanigans.

Nope. She was created in the comics in 1964. Back on that special bus, you ignorant slut.

by Anonymousreply 24April 21, 2024 2:10 PM

I know someone mentioned Miss Anne Baxter as Olga, Queen of the Bessarovian Cossacks, who was teamed with Egghead.

Twas ever there a gayer combo than Vincent Price and Eve Harrington?

by Anonymousreply 25April 21, 2024 3:04 PM

Burt Ward came to speak to my elementary school class about some topic that I can't remember. I asked the teacher afterwards if that was really Robin from Batman? He didn't look like Robin at all. Burt was older, short, chunky, uncharismatic and looked like he was wearing a toupee.

by Anonymousreply 26April 21, 2024 3:25 PM

There wasn’t anything dark, badass and brooding about this. So, why did you even like watch?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27April 21, 2024 3:35 PM

Burton was very sexy. He was so well endowed that they could bearly conceal it so they almost chemically castrated him with meditation they prescribed and made him take. There's this fun 2001 movie Return to the batcave: Adam and Burt. The story of them being cast, plus the recreated scenes, are really cool.

by Anonymousreply 28April 21, 2024 3:58 PM

I watch Wonder Woman on H&I channel every weekend and sometimes Batman too. Loved both. Batman I saw in reruns as a small child. I remember Wonder Woman with Lynda Carter when I was 5 yrs old when it first aired in prime time in the late 70s.

by Anonymousreply 29April 21, 2024 4:14 PM

Link to the movie from r28.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30April 21, 2024 4:16 PM

I did not like Cesar Romero in his role as "Joker."

by Anonymousreply 31April 21, 2024 4:36 PM

What is this about Burt Ward being well hung?

by Anonymousreply 32April 21, 2024 4:37 PM

Did ya’ll like Yvonne Craig as Batgirl?? I was fascinated by her gorgeous costume- sparkly purple and yellow.She was given her own theme within Batman. It kind of sucked though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33April 21, 2024 4:54 PM

Neil Hamilton was a very cruel prick on the set to his elderly co-stars from what I’ve read. Pretty uppity attitude for a 1920s underwear model.

by Anonymousreply 34April 21, 2024 4:56 PM

[quote]Did ya’ll like Yvonne Craig as Batgirl?? I was fascinated by her gorgeous costume- sparkly purple and yellow.She was given her own theme within Batman. It kind of sucked though.

I was always so fascinated by her revolving wall vanity and the entire process of transforming herself into Batgirl, it's a wonder I didn't become a drag queen.

They wouldn't let her punch when she fought, so Yvonne Craig leaned into past as a professional ballerina. She's basically dancing, and it's glorious. She did her own stunts and motorcycle riding, and a few years after the show ended, got back into the costume for a PSA about equal pay for women, which involved her refusing to save Batman from a trap unless he agreed to pay her the same as Robin.

Totally groovy chick.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35April 21, 2024 5:08 PM

Our Lucy and our Vivian should have appeared as guest villains 🦹‍♀️ on a special two part episode of Batman.

Datalounge people what would their names have been?

by Anonymousreply 36April 21, 2024 5:15 PM

Love your reply and video link r35

I too was fascinated by her Barbara Gordon to Batgirl transformation. Her secret batgirl room with the wig on a dressing table and the opening in the brick wall that led her to her batcycle. I used to emulate her ballerina kicks in my front yard as the neighbor kids and I played Batman. The mean old man who lived across the street got an eyeful of a burgeoning gayling fake kick fighting other boys and girls. He also saw me do Wonder Woman spins and play Kelly and Tiffany as one of Charlie’s Angels countless times He died of a heart attack. I probably contributed to it in some small way by being so unconventional with my childhood playtime.

by Anonymousreply 37April 21, 2024 5:20 PM

[quote] The mean old man who lived across the street got an eyeful of a burgeoning gayling fake kick fighting other boys and girls. He also saw me do Wonder Woman spins and play Kelly and Tiffany as one of Charlie’s Angels countless times He died of a heart attack

I would have happily dialed the phone with a pencil with you any day. Especially for being Tiffany when you played Charlie’s Angels.

by Anonymousreply 38April 21, 2024 5:24 PM

R34 sad to hear Neil Hamilton was a prick-was in “what price Hollywood” 1932 very hansome-great movie!

by Anonymousreply 39April 21, 2024 5:29 PM

Spring Byington played the very rich J. Pauline Spaghetti.

by Anonymousreply 40April 21, 2024 5:30 PM

Of all the Charlie's Angels you chose Tiffany? I love you.

by Anonymousreply 41April 21, 2024 5:30 PM

R34 What elderly costars did Neil Hamilton have scenes with?

by Anonymousreply 42April 21, 2024 5:31 PM

My fave Batman series villains were

Catwoman played by Julie Newmar. She was attractive and in my eyes was much better in the role over Ertha Kitt and Lee Merriwether (she sucked as Catwoman) that skintight black sparkly jumpsuit was like gay catnip for me. Oh and the hip belt!!

Siren - Joan Collins. She just had to look like a pretty Greek goddess and open her mouth to let out her siren.

I liked Penguin played by Burgess Meredith

I love/hated King Tut played by Victor Bueno (from Whatever Happened to Baby Jane)

Egghead played by Vincent Price

The Riddler played by Gorshin.

Didn’t like The Joker that much because Cesar Romero wasn’t an actor I enjoyed watching.

by Anonymousreply 43April 21, 2024 5:31 PM

R41 oh yes. Shelley Hack troll I am.

by Anonymousreply 44April 21, 2024 5:32 PM

Imagine, forced meditation!

by Anonymousreply 45April 21, 2024 5:33 PM

To this day Burt Ward as Robin is one of the cutest guys I've ever seen. After Batman he seemed to go on the Super Size Me diet. Odd for someone from when he was very young was so into fitness. Very depressed because there was no life after Robin?

by Anonymousreply 46April 21, 2024 5:50 PM

I’m rewatching the entire series now. Starting season 1 ep 1

by Anonymousreply 47April 21, 2024 5:59 PM

Without Batman and Robin we wouldn't have had these guys.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48April 21, 2024 6:03 PM

Burt Ward was married to the daughter of the band leader who played for Judy Garland (and Merv Griffin).....although he divorced her as fame caught up with him.

by Anonymousreply 49April 21, 2024 6:30 PM

And lest we forget two of DL's faves: Van Johnson as Minstrel and Roddy McDowall as Bookworm.

I loved there Batman series, saw it when it originally aired because I am very old. Some of the best:

- Burgess Meredith as The Penguin

- Art Carney as The Archer

- Frank Gorshin as The Riddler

- David Wayne as The Mad Hatter

And uber over-the-top performances from Milton Berle and Liberace.

Did you know Dina Merrill played a villainess?

by Anonymousreply 50April 21, 2024 7:37 PM

I have a special love for gay as a goose Victor Buono as King Tut.

by Anonymousreply 51April 21, 2024 7:48 PM

I didn’t know Liberace appeared on the show.

I love the 60’s swinger, go-go dancer and 60s GQ looks for Adam as Bruce and Burt as Dick.

Batman & Robin leave very little to the imagination in their closeted relationship.

by Anonymousreply 52April 21, 2024 7:53 PM

[quote]I didn’t know Liberace appeared on the show.

He played Chandell (basically himself) and his twin brother Harry.

Aunt Harriet was a big Chandell fan.

by Anonymousreply 53April 21, 2024 7:56 PM

Frank Gorshin's skintight Riddler outfit turned me on.

by Anonymousreply 54April 21, 2024 8:00 PM

Cesar Romero refused to shave his mustache so they just slapped makeup over it. 😂

by Anonymousreply 55April 21, 2024 8:53 PM

They put a really detailed Joker action figure a few years ago which even had the white mustache.

I believe they even had a mode where you could recreate the classic episode "Surf's Up! Joker's Under!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56April 21, 2024 9:00 PM

R37- He was fuming with Jealousy over your

FABULOUSNESS ☺️

by Anonymousreply 57April 21, 2024 9:01 PM

R18 I can confirm Batman is responsible for my bondage fettish. I used to try to get kids to tie me up when were playing.

by Anonymousreply 58April 21, 2024 9:21 PM

Batgirl was a tart!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59April 21, 2024 9:31 PM

[quote]Frank Gorshin's skintight Riddler outfit turned me on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60April 21, 2024 9:34 PM

The scene with Batman running all over the city with the bomb over his head may be one of the greatest in cinematic history.

by Anonymousreply 61April 21, 2024 9:39 PM

As is this one, R61. Particularly for the array of oceanic repellent bat sprays.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62April 21, 2024 9:45 PM

[quote]The scene with Batman running all over the city with the bomb over his head may be one of the greatest in cinematic history.

Some days, you just can't get rid of a bomb!

by Anonymousreply 63April 21, 2024 9:51 PM

Also there was something dirty about The Riddler's laugh. The way Frank Gorshin delivered his lines when he was telling of a plan, building to a crescendo and the giggle laugh was the orgasmic relief.

by Anonymousreply 64April 22, 2024 1:10 AM

I tried dressing up as Frank Gorshin as the Riddler a few years ago. It was hard to make the costume tight and loose exactly where it needed to be. I wore a green jock underneath. That's all I needed as the night progressed.

by Anonymousreply 65April 22, 2024 10:20 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!