Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Heart Performs “Barracuda” On Fallon, 47 Years After Release

Ann Wilson, 73, TEARS IT UP in the original key from 1977. She’s still belting high Es! Not to mention those descending low notes. No autotune or lip-syncing needed, they are the real deal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57April 28, 2024 6:27 PM

Nice to see that Ann and Nancy are back on speaking terms.

by Anonymousreply 1April 21, 2024 12:37 AM

No, no, no, OP -- she's not singing the really high note (whatever it is). I give her an A for effort, though.

by Anonymousreply 2April 21, 2024 12:39 AM

She's one of my favorite rock vocalists, an immensely powerful voice that rivals any of her strongest competitors in the genre. Ann sounds fantastic singing anything, from the most tender to the most aggressive songs, and she's supported by some terrific musicians too, especially the original 70s lineup. Those early albums are absolute perfection, but they released some stellar material in the 80s and 90s too.

And I will say that she's probably the only rock singer I can think of who continued to get better as she got older. Ann Wilson 10 years ago was her peak. If you watch Heart performances from the early 2010s, her voice is absolutely incredible, she sounded better than she did in the 70s. And she was 60 at the time! That never happens.

by Anonymousreply 3April 21, 2024 12:40 AM

I'm sorry but that was a shock to my eyes and ears and horrifying! I also can't stop laughing!

by Anonymousreply 4April 21, 2024 12:41 AM

She could still manage it in 2013 and I hadn't seen her since. Oh well. Time's a bitch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5April 21, 2024 12:44 AM

The note she isn't even attempting is at the 59 second mark.

Forgive me if she hits it later.

That said, I was a big fan in high school, and love both of them still.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6April 21, 2024 12:44 AM

They sounded even better on Stern last week. Insanely good, both the playing and the singing. For any age - let alone 73. What was your grandma doing at 73?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7April 21, 2024 12:47 AM

Thanks for posting that, R5. You know, getting old happens to the best of us -- if we're lucky.

by Anonymousreply 8April 21, 2024 12:47 AM

Heart is great. Loved them in high school.

by Anonymousreply 9April 21, 2024 12:48 AM

God damn she still has it.

Sounds fantastic. The ladies are still killing it.

by Anonymousreply 10April 21, 2024 12:55 AM

She reminds me a lot of Taylor Swift. She's not as good as Tay but she's OK.

by Anonymousreply 11April 21, 2024 12:55 AM

I saw Heart in 2019 and they were still fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 12April 21, 2024 12:57 AM

If anyone still needs convincing these ladies are ridiculously talented, check out their Led Zeppelin tribute from the Kennedy Center Honors. It’s one of the greatest performances in rock history. 145 million views on YouTube, with good reason.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13April 21, 2024 12:59 AM

She wasn't quite hitting it but close.

R13 beat me to the punch. Their performance of Stairway was flawless and when she landed and held that roar/long note near the end of the song, I wept. It was beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 14April 21, 2024 1:01 AM

PS That and Aretha were two of the last really exceptionally well done KCH tributes

by Anonymousreply 15April 21, 2024 1:02 AM

PPS That note is at 5:10 on that video, and you can tell after that she was like BITCH I DID IT!!!!

by Anonymousreply 16April 21, 2024 1:04 AM

Their Stairway was one of the best performances ever. I believe they won an Emmy for that.

by Anonymousreply 17April 21, 2024 1:08 AM

The first minute or so was a little shaky, but once she’s warmed up Ann sounds astonishingly good for 73. For those upthread saying she lost it/doesn’t quite hit it, wow. Have you heard Mick Jagger, Don Henley or Cher lately? Ann’s voice is still in fine form, but especially compared to her peers.

by Anonymousreply 18April 21, 2024 1:18 AM

Mick Jagger wasn’t much of a singer even while young, can’t imagine he sounds great now.

by Anonymousreply 19April 21, 2024 1:21 AM

As a millennial 14 and 15 year old gayling I used to prance around the house when I was alone belting out Heart songs. I wanted to be Ann Wilson when I grew up. Fuck Britney and Xtina. She was my ultimate gay icon.

by Anonymousreply 20April 21, 2024 1:27 AM

I still have the Creem magazine where they outrageously cop to incestuous interludes. The things they said for publicity in those days! Why they don’t groom contestants on “The Voice” with such confessions is proof that great music is now a lost art.

by Anonymousreply 21April 21, 2024 2:08 AM

They’re supposedly recording a new album.

by Anonymousreply 22April 21, 2024 4:43 AM

They are coming to my city, and I’m thinking about going. Always loved them. Well, except for that horrible song about getting knocked up and giving up the baby.

by Anonymousreply 23April 21, 2024 11:49 AM

Great! I love this thread, too! It's a hyperbole thread, which are the greatest threads!

by Anonymousreply 24April 21, 2024 11:51 AM

Love them but their plastic surgery faces are painful to look at.

by Anonymousreply 25April 21, 2024 12:17 PM

She's totally underrated, knocking the shit out of her peers by many measures.

by Anonymousreply 26April 21, 2024 12:20 PM

Old ladies.

by Anonymousreply 27April 21, 2024 12:33 PM

Reminds me of this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28April 21, 2024 12:38 PM

I still get a sense that the sisters don't get along and they are just doing it for the $$$

by Anonymousreply 29April 21, 2024 2:19 PM

How can she still have that voice after years of alcohol and cocaine abuse? She had liver failure at one point. She's only been sober 25 years. I love her

by Anonymousreply 30April 21, 2024 2:46 PM

Ann is a powerhouse and still sounds better than 99% of singers, including the 22 year olds.

by Anonymousreply 31April 22, 2024 3:51 AM

[quote]Mick Jagger wasn’t much of a singer even while young, can’t imagine he sounds great now.

I saw the Stones two years ago and he looked and sounded pretty damn good.

by Anonymousreply 32April 22, 2024 4:07 AM

R32 whatever you say Mick. You’ve looked like a piece of beef jerky since the 90s.

by Anonymousreply 33April 22, 2024 5:53 AM

Mick Jagger never had a voice and he looks like a dehydrated corpse.

by Anonymousreply 34April 25, 2024 11:10 PM

Thanks for posting this OP. I really needed it. Made me misty eyed.

by Anonymousreply 35April 25, 2024 11:20 PM

Ann is BIG AS A DAMN HOUSE again!

She had lost a ton of weight a few years ago and looked great. Now, I wonder if she'll make it to play Madison Square Garden in Oct.

Will she try Ozempic or just say fuck it?

by Anonymousreply 36April 27, 2024 4:34 AM

Still great overall, but you can hear Anne is struggling to sing some of this now. She held up well for a long time (far longer than most singers, especially in rock), but it seems she's reached the tipping point where her voice can't fully handle it anymore. She still pulls it off, but it's sounding more difficult for her.

by Anonymousreply 37April 27, 2024 4:37 AM

I first heard this song in GTA: San Andreas. Added it to my playlist immediately. I appreciate Rockstar Games introducing me to it.

by Anonymousreply 38April 27, 2024 4:42 AM

[QUOTE]Ann is BIG AS A DAMN HOUSE again!

You sound like a certifiable cunt, which I'm sure you're tickled to hear.

[QUOTE]As a child, Ann was bullied for being overweight. She revealed that in the 1970s and into the early 1980s she would starve herself and use diet pills to stay thin. By the time Heart made a comeback in the mid-'80s, she had gained a significant amount of weight. Fearing that Heart's lead singer's physique would compromise the band's image, record company executives and band members began pressuring her to lose weight. In music videos, camera angles and clothes were often used to minimize her size, and more focus was put on Ann's more slender sister, Nancy. Ann stated she began suffering from stress-related panic attacks due to the negative publicity surrounding her weight. She underwent adjustable gastric band weight-loss surgery in January 2002[39] after what she called "a lifelong battle" with her weight.

[QUOTE]In November 2009, Ann collapsed. Doctors found that she had liver disease resulting from alcoholism. While she had stopped using other drugs after adopting her daughter, she had increased her alcohol consumption. Nancy and other family members and band crew had been concerned about her for some time and had built a break into a Heart tour to allow Ann an opportunity to obtain treatment. She ultimately underwent therapy on her own.[40] In the band's 2012 autobiography, Ann revealed her past struggles with cocaine and alcoholism. She stated that she had been sober since 2009.[41]

by Anonymousreply 39April 27, 2024 5:49 AM

r39 is a fatass. Your sorry excuses are not something we do not like.

You have to WORK and you have to WIN.

by Anonymousreply 40April 27, 2024 5:52 AM

[quote] I still get a sense that the sisters don't get along and they are just doing it for the $$$

I totally agree. Ann got married to an asshole. A while back, this asshole husband put his hands on one of Nancy's sons because the son accidentally let Asshole's dog escape the tour bus. It's never been the same.

For whatever reason, they need to keep on making money in their 70s.

by Anonymousreply 41April 27, 2024 6:33 AM

Maybe they just like doing it though

by Anonymousreply 42April 27, 2024 6:36 AM

I think they like performing separately and they have done that. However, more people will pay to see them perform together as Heart.

by Anonymousreply 43April 27, 2024 6:39 AM

Is Ann still married to the guy who beat his nephews?

by Anonymousreply 44April 27, 2024 7:06 AM

[QUOTE]A while back

R41 - Nearly 10 years ago. Are you saying it's still the same?

by Anonymousreply 45April 27, 2024 7:23 AM

Pat Benatar once admitted to being terrified of Nancy Wilson.

by Anonymousreply 46April 27, 2024 7:39 AM

Fucking DL body bullies, at it again.

by Anonymousreply 47April 27, 2024 9:37 AM

Boys! Boys! Only POSITIVE hyperbole on DL! If you don't have anything nice to say, keep your mouth shut! This is DL! Not a schoolyard! Nobody likes a bully!

by Anonymousreply 48April 27, 2024 10:17 AM

Say what you want, but you're going to get called a bullying cunt when you're being a bullying cunt. Crap attempts at mockery are a sure sign of being able to dish it out, but not being able to take it.

by Anonymousreply 49April 27, 2024 10:27 AM

[quote] In November 2009, Ann collapsed.

Ann we love you get up.

by Anonymousreply 50April 27, 2024 10:48 AM

Ann seems unable to stand for long periods.

She's also struggling vocally — her upper register is gone.

Sad last days. I don't think they'll finish this tour.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51April 28, 2024 1:59 AM

She is really struggling.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52April 28, 2024 2:00 AM

She looks like Roseanne Barr. I'm sorry, I said it.

by Anonymousreply 53April 28, 2024 9:14 AM

She looks like Roseanne Barr.

by Anonymousreply 54April 28, 2024 12:56 PM

Even at her worst, Ann sounds better than Swift at her best.

by Anonymousreply 55April 28, 2024 1:01 PM

I've never seen Heart live. That's going to change as I'm buying tickets for their show in my city. I'll probably pass on Cheap Trick, the opening act, though.

by Anonymousreply 56April 28, 2024 1:03 PM

They sang before autotune and pretty much hit those loud notes on the mark, unlike those who scream and shriek out the lyrics which is and was common in Rock and roll. Now we have weird plaintive, breathy baby voices, thanks Billie fucking Eyelash.

by Anonymousreply 57April 28, 2024 6:27 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!