Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Got an annual physical and had weird blood labs back. Any heath professionals out there?

PCP, who is a glorified nurse, said some numbers were off on my last blood test.

She asked me to wait two weeks and retest, which I did.

But my second lab test still showed some numbers are off. Specially:

RBC low 3.66 Hemoglobin low 13.0 MCH high 35.6 TIBC low 233 FERRITIN high 574

She has referred me to a hematologist, which is the same thing as an ONCOLOGIST! HOLY FUCK! No explanation, no call, just a text from the stupid health chart crap I have to use online. I do have heath insurance through the marketplace plan in my state, and it sucks. I have to pay a large monthly premium and no prescription coverage until I surpass my insanely high annual deductible of 7K.

Sadly I am too young for Medicare, and have too many assets for Medicaid. I’m fucked.

by Anonymousreply 18April 21, 2024 1:14 AM

There's a huge problem with these personal medical websites. Too many patients are getting access to test results before the doctors do. And the doctors are needed to translate that shit into English so that patients can understand.

Last week I had a lung scan. My doctor is on vacation. I'm glad the results said "no cancer detected."

by Anonymousreply 1April 20, 2024 11:39 PM

OP, can I have your stuff?

by Anonymousreply 2April 20, 2024 11:39 PM

I learned my lesson. I once looked at the results and freaked myself out, and had to wait for my appointment in a couple of weeks. Everything was fine.

It reminded me of the bad old days in the 80s and 90s when you had to wait weeks for results from an HIV test.

Nowadays I get the alert my bloodwork results are available and I ignore it. If I'm really curious I look at it the day before or morning of my follow up. I recommend others do the same.

by Anonymousreply 3April 20, 2024 11:55 PM

I had a friend who got weird blood labs back.

And then she died.

by Anonymousreply 4April 20, 2024 11:56 PM

I got tested negative on Friday so that means I can do whatever I want! Move over, Dawson!

by Anonymousreply 5April 21, 2024 12:06 AM

It's there's one lesson I've learned over the last two decades, it's that it's the smartest idea in the entire world to ask medical advice on Datalounge!

by Anonymousreply 6April 21, 2024 12:10 AM

She’s not wrong to send you to a hematologist. You don’t necessarily have cancer, but there’s a non-zero likelihood. Don’t fixate and spiral into anxiety. Wait until you know more and then follow doctors’ orders. Money stuff will sort itself out; worst case just don’t pay and let it tank your credit for a decade.

by Anonymousreply 7April 21, 2024 12:13 AM

OP, it means that poppers have caused a lot of your red blood cells to die and the ones you have left are larger to help take up the slack. You need to go cold turkey for at least a month, preferably two, before getting a blood test to allow your red blood cells to repopulate. Otherwise, the doctor thinks there is something wrong with you.

I’ve learned my lesson.

by Anonymousreply 8April 21, 2024 12:14 AM

Hemochromatosis.

by Anonymousreply 9April 21, 2024 12:15 AM

You are slightly anemic and have high ferritin, which could indicate some type of inflammation. May be okay to see the hematologist, but it could be nothing.

by Anonymousreply 10April 21, 2024 12:16 AM

When will you complete your transition?

by Anonymousreply 11April 21, 2024 12:17 AM

Could be vitamin deficiency. Don't freak out

by Anonymousreply 12April 21, 2024 12:18 AM

Like others have said, hematologists address all kinds of issues. Some are serious and others are almost laughably easy to fix (but not necessarily within a PCP's purview). If it's something you need to worry about, you'll know soon enough. In the meantime, try to enjoy your weekend.

by Anonymousreply 13April 21, 2024 12:25 AM

Fibromyalgia for sure.

by Anonymousreply 14April 21, 2024 12:42 AM

OP you sound exhausting.

by Anonymousreply 15April 21, 2024 1:00 AM

OP = Lens Dunham.

by Anonymousreply 16April 21, 2024 1:05 AM

Medical debt doesnt tank your credit

by Anonymousreply 17April 21, 2024 1:09 AM

Just to be clear, she's referring you to a hematologist, which is a blood doctor. A lot of hematologists are also oncologists (cancer doctor), but the two things are not synonymous. That's a long way of saying she's sending you to this doctor because of your abnormal red blood cell and iron levels. You can have those results for various reasons. Yes, one of those is cancer, but there are others. And a blood doctor is who you need to see to figure out why your blood counts are off. And there are many solutions to medical debt, so don't panic about that yet either.

by Anonymousreply 18April 21, 2024 1:14 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!