Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Stuff Gay Guys Like or How to talk to Gay Men

Dinner Party: Whenever possible, one should be sincere. Details are what matters here: don’t say “this soup is good”, say “the crimini mushrooms in this soup are wonderful.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11April 22, 2024 7:24 AM

"Your host(s) will always appreciate food compliments. But they will appreciate complimenting their possessions at least as much as complimenting their food" comment on it: “These plates are beautiful! How old are they/What country are they from/Where on Earth did you find Tinkerbell dinner plates?”

by Anonymousreply 1April 20, 2024 8:13 PM

OP- One does not need to be specific like that in praising a particular dish.

I had my friends over for lunch in late February or early March. I bought delicious Chinese food - which they enjoyed but I made from scratch Almond Torte and my friend described it as SUPERB. It was a very complimentary thing to say and did not require further specifics.

by Anonymousreply 2April 20, 2024 8:16 PM

I am not the writer of that article R2. I just posted it because I though it was funny how some straight people think they have to act when invited over to a gay mans house for dinner.

by Anonymousreply 3April 20, 2024 8:25 PM

Tops be like “is that mushrooms? Not bad…”

by Anonymousreply 4April 20, 2024 8:41 PM

I am throwing a 'Sneaky Matchmaking/Celebrating the Completion of My Villeroy & Boch Audun Ferme Dinnerware Set Party' of my own next week, and none of you bitches better screw it up for me!

by Anonymousreply 5April 20, 2024 8:54 PM

OP, that website was clearly written by some basic gay guy fifteen years ago (!!!) as a bad short-lived rip off of the then popular blog “stuff white people like”, which was satire about the mores of upper middle class white people written by upper middle class white people.

No straight person was involved in that admittedly hackneyed piece of writing.

by Anonymousreply 6April 20, 2024 9:16 PM

I forget how provincial and niche-market gay parties and gay dinner parties can be, but that article OP links is from donkey's years ago. It's not far off what could have been written in the late 1970s/early 1980s.

The posh gay dinner scene from the Channel 4/PBS version of Tales of the City (video starts at 23:26) is not too far off, capturing not a relaxed evening among friends but rather a tense armistice among adversaries.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7April 20, 2024 10:40 PM

R7- I started watching the original Tales Of The City again. I first watched on PBS in the winter of 1994 and loved it.

I never get tired of watching it. I wish I could take a time machine to San Francisco in the mid to late 1970's. It must have been such a wonderful time and place to be gay- before the tidal wave of disease and death.

by Anonymousreply 8April 21, 2024 1:23 PM

You can always tell when you are at the home of a gay who grew up with nothing. They want everything to be perfect with prominent displays of status and labels. I feel badly for them because they think that is going to get them accepted by the higher class gays. It never does. These are the poor queens saving up their pennies to buy LV luggage and bags. Men with class don't carry that shit.

by Anonymousreply 9April 21, 2024 3:30 PM

Stealth Bav thread

by Anonymousreply 10April 22, 2024 2:08 AM

R9, we call those label queens. LV Gucci, Prada, so many in LA buy all that shit, flaunt it like some kind of success, they are clueless how tack and trashy they really look to everyone around them. But they just keep on doing it telling themselves others are just jealous.

Side Note: That tacky Louis Vuitton duffel bag is 98% plastic. The only leather on that damn thing is the handle.😂

by Anonymousreply 11April 22, 2024 7:24 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!