Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Volkswagen workers vote yes to unionizing, igniting UAW's push to organize the South

Workers at the Volkswagen plant in Chattanooga, Tenn., have voted overwhelmingly to join the United Auto Workers, setting a new trajectory for labor unions in the American South.

With 3,613 ballots counted, the final tally was 2,628 votes in favor of joining the UAW, and 985 votes against. Some 73% of workers voted in favor of unionizing.

The UAW pulled off the resounding victory after two prior defeats in a region deeply skeptical of unions and despite repeated warnings from state Republican leaders and the business community that unionizing would be a big mistake.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12April 21, 2024 3:54 PM

I have a crush on the thickish bespectacled Latino guy in the blue Nike shirt.

by Anonymousreply 1April 20, 2024 2:03 PM

From early in the count, it was clear that the UAW had won many workers over. Yes votes quickly began outnumbering no votes by about 3 to 1, a lead that held throughout the night.

Quinton North, who assembles battery packs for the Volkswagen ID.4 electric SUV, voted no in the last union election at Volkswagen in 2019, swayed by pervasive anti-union messaging in that campaign.

This time, North voted yes, citing the leadership of UAW president Shawn Fain as a big reason.

"He's really showed what he is — he's for the workers," he said at a UAW-organized watch party in Chattanooga.

by Anonymousreply 2April 20, 2024 2:13 PM

It's about damned time. I grew up in the industrial midwest. Union all the way. The standard of living when I grew up was high for the average union worker in the automobile industry. Everyone lived well in our communities. We had great healthcare, people had pensions. The average blue collar worker had a nice little house, and a cottage "up north" or near some inland lakes. Their kids went to college. You can tell even today, that the housing stock for the average ordinary single family home was good. Brick houses. sturdy. So I move to the South after 45 years in the north. The housing stock is shit. Everything is cheaply made. People have no taste. Even the so called middle class has nothing worth wanting. They don't even know what they don't have. No concept of what constitutes quality. Their medical care is shabby, third rate. But dammit they have guns and they have churches on every corner. They may have a $7 minimum wage, battling obesity and diabetes, but grandma's Hummingbird Cake is still a favorite, battling for first place with Red Velvet. My point is that unions are an absolute good. I was able to actually measure their impact on the rest of the community up north.

by Anonymousreply 3April 20, 2024 2:18 PM

The next UAW target is the Mercedes plant in Alabama.

by Anonymousreply 4April 20, 2024 4:48 PM

And six Republican governors (including Tennessee's, who must feel pretty stupid today) have come out against the UAW's recognition. From their statement:

“As governors, we have a responsibility to our constituents to speak up when we see special interests looking to come into our state and threaten our jobs and the values we live by.”

Decent wages? Threatening. Decent healthcare? Threatening. Pensions? Threatening.

What [italic]are[/italic] the values they live by?

by Anonymousreply 5April 20, 2024 4:56 PM

The Southern governors were raised in mediocrity, they have become accustomed to it, and they will do anything to protect it.

by Anonymousreply 6April 20, 2024 5:43 PM

WHat SOutherners didn't like, and some still don't, is that concept of equity. or Parity. No matter what your sex, or race or ethnicity, you all get paid the same. Unions are a brotherhood.

by Anonymousreply 7April 20, 2024 5:45 PM

And they’ll shut down the plant and move overseas.

Why?

Because the US government won’t protect US workers

by Anonymousreply 8April 20, 2024 7:32 PM

Every VW plant in Europe is unionized

by Anonymousreply 9April 20, 2024 7:38 PM

E7 the southern conservative politicians miss the days of chattel slavery and must settle for wage slavery.

by Anonymousreply 10April 20, 2024 9:47 PM

Will the plant be moved to Mexico?

I support the union and the workers, but the South is a disgrace and a shit hole and always was.

And it's about time that these Red states start pulling their own weight and stop living off of the backs of Blue state taxpayers.

by Anonymousreply 11April 21, 2024 11:26 AM

W00T!

by Anonymousreply 12April 21, 2024 3:54 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!