Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Delta Burke details her meth use for weight loss and 'ugly' Designing Women exit in first interview in decades

The actress behind Suzanne Sugarbaker got candid about her fallout with series creator Linda Bloodworth-Thomason and past drug abuse in a rare interview.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67April 23, 2024 3:06 AM

I still love Delta.

by Anonymousreply 1April 20, 2024 8:17 AM

I am glad they are still together and in love. That warms my heart. I really like them both.

by Anonymousreply 2April 20, 2024 8:25 AM

She sounds like she’s in a better place. Good for her.

by Anonymousreply 3April 20, 2024 10:41 AM

Hoarding, compulsive shopping, eating and obesity. Sign her up for ozempic

by Anonymousreply 4April 20, 2024 10:56 AM

She was the best part of Designing Women, but it was really a well-cast show overall.

by Anonymousreply 5April 20, 2024 11:11 AM

It’s really nice to hear how well her husband treats her. I’m glad she found happiness.

by Anonymousreply 6April 20, 2024 11:23 AM

Hoarding, compulsive shopping, an eating disorder, severe body dysmorphia, drug addiction, the inability to handle fame, a retreat into extreme privacy, a reputation for professional difficulty, a career marked by the creation of a character with a cartoonish persona instilled with pathos, and a long term relationship with a partner who acts like a caretaker and tells her what to do.

Very good case for female aspergers.

by Anonymousreply 7April 20, 2024 11:35 AM

Nedra Volz suggested meth.

by Anonymousreply 8April 20, 2024 1:25 PM

She suggested a little crack cocaine to Nell Carter one morning over scones.

by Anonymousreply 9April 20, 2024 1:28 PM

Meth use is practically the last thing I'd expect of her.

by Anonymousreply 10April 20, 2024 1:39 PM

She's well-known on skid row. Butter fingers, she's called.

by Anonymousreply 11April 20, 2024 1:42 PM

Meth? How gauche.

by Anonymousreply 12April 20, 2024 1:48 PM

Her husband is still an attractive man and a good actor

by Anonymousreply 13April 20, 2024 1:48 PM

Isn't Gerald McRaney a crazy right wing MAGAt, though?

by Anonymousreply 14April 20, 2024 1:56 PM

Well she got so fat I thought that she might crush me!

So I turned her onto Meth.

Big deal, chumps!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15April 20, 2024 2:12 PM

Yes, and I gather from your comments there are a couple of other things you don't know, Marjorie. For example, you probably didn't know that Suzanne was the only contestant in Georgia pageant history to sweep every category except a clean drug test, and that is not something the women in my family aspire to anyway. Or that when she walked down the runway in her swimsuit, five contestants quit on the spot. Or that when she emerged from the isolation booth to answer the question, "What would you do to prevent the war on drugs?" she spoke so eloquently of libertarianism, freedoms and small waistlines, grown men wept. And you probably didn't know, Marjorie, that Suzanne was not just any Miss Georgia, she was THE Miss Georgia. She didn't twirl just a meth pipe, that meth pipe was on fire. And when she threw that meth pipe into the air, it flew higher, further, faster than any meth pipe has ever flown before, hitting a transformer and showering the darkened alleyway with sparks! And when it finally did come down, Marjorie, my sister caught that meth pipe, and 12 junkies jumped to their feet for sixteen and one-half minutes of uninterrupted thunderous ovation, as flames illuminated her tear-stained face! And that, Marjorie --- just so you will know --- and your children will someday know --- is the night the pipe lit up in Georgia!

by Anonymousreply 16April 20, 2024 2:13 PM

R16- Caftan Wearer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17April 20, 2024 2:15 PM

How kind I sign up for this “withdrawal from work” because the “joy is gone”??

by Anonymousreply 18April 20, 2024 2:19 PM

[QUOTE]. "We do Designing Women, and I'm so happy to be there," she said. "I love everything. But then things started to change, which I won't go into.

R14 - I don't know if McRaney is MAGAt now, but he was definitely a conservative Bush supporter. And the Bloodworth -Thomasens from Arkansas were famously Clinton supporters. So the things changing, I'm assuming, had to do with politics once McRaney entered the picture. And she understandably doesn't want to talk politics in this climate

by Anonymousreply 19April 20, 2024 2:21 PM

r15 that old lady always got the funny lines. I remember here from that show "A Year At The Top" with hunky Greg Evigan and Paul Shaffer.

by Anonymousreply 20April 20, 2024 4:09 PM

Dangit the above comment is for r17 he was on A Year At The Top

by Anonymousreply 21April 20, 2024 4:10 PM

She was gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 22April 20, 2024 6:29 PM

Everyone here categorically believes McRaney is such a wonderful, loving man who only cared for his wife's career?

In case anyone hasn't noticed, he's the only factor in her downward trajectory. But, "he's so wonderful to her and treats her like Kween!"

Don't we all know what this means?

by Anonymousreply 23April 20, 2024 10:33 PM

Nedra Volz was my idol. She played my favorite characters on Filthy Rich and Diff’rent Strokes.

by Anonymousreply 24April 20, 2024 10:39 PM

A little PCP is good for the complexion.

by Anonymousreply 25April 21, 2024 3:52 AM

I shared needles with Nedra Volz.

by Anonymousreply 26April 21, 2024 4:06 AM

Wasn’t McRainey on Designing Women, dated Mary Joe early on? I feel like I remember him on that show. If so, he obviously didn’t have a problem working for the Bloodworths even if he didn’t like their politics. I remember liking his Major Dad show that premiered a few years after DW but I couldn’t tell you one thing about it other than Iola Boylan was in it.

by Anonymousreply 27April 21, 2024 4:08 AM

Only the first five seasons of Designing Women are worth watching. After Delta and Jean left it mostly went to shit.

by Anonymousreply 28April 21, 2024 4:14 AM

I’ve never really got the Designing Wonen gays. This show held zero interest for me.

by Anonymousreply 29April 21, 2024 4:16 AM

[quote]If so, he obviously didn’t have a problem working for the Bloodworths even if he didn’t like their politics.

I think as time went on, the Bloodworths got more insufferable with their politics. It was the same with Susan Harris. Every show had some political thing wedged in. Like the “Rose has AIDS” very special episode of The Golden Girls. Or when the girls went on vacation and they all made a point of buying condoms. Like anyone was going to fuck Dorothy!

by Anonymousreply 30April 21, 2024 4:24 AM

Go fuck yourself, R30.

by Anonymousreply 31April 21, 2024 4:47 AM

R27 McRaney played a character named Dash Goff on DW. He was Suzanne’s writer ex-husband.

by Anonymousreply 32April 21, 2024 4:59 AM

Turns out Delta was a methhead actress.

by Anonymousreply 33April 21, 2024 5:06 AM

R30 Regardless of politics The Golden Girls were groundbreaking as one of only a select number of sitcoms to tackle controversial subjects.

Although some episodes were a bit too preachy and PSA heavy to the point where they came off as contrived, forced and disingenuous like the lottery ticket episode which I absolutely loathe and often skip.

by Anonymousreply 34April 21, 2024 5:17 AM

Golden Girls pulled the social messaging far better than the cloying Designing Women.

by Anonymousreply 35April 21, 2024 5:18 AM

R34, I loved the episode where Delta guest-starred and forced Rose to smoke opium.

by Anonymousreply 36April 21, 2024 5:19 AM

Meth mixed in cranberry juice? I'll have to try it.

by Anonymousreply 37April 21, 2024 5:39 AM

[quote]Regardless of politics The Golden Girls were groundbreaking as one of only a select number of sitcoms to tackle controversial subjects.

Bea Arthur was doing it on Maude a decade earlier.

All in the Family and Good Times we’re doing it. Alice let her son go on a camping trip with a gay man! Mary Tyler Moore was being subversive.

The Facts of Life almost had Natalie raped!

And Little House on the Prairie had their share of “very special episodes”.

Everybody was pushing buttons on tv before The Golden Girls.

by Anonymousreply 38April 21, 2024 5:42 AM

She should be Ozempic's first spokesmodel.

by Anonymousreply 39April 21, 2024 5:59 AM

She obviously got taken by her meth dealer……she was big as a house when she left DW. She had more chins than a Chinese phone book.

by Anonymousreply 40April 21, 2024 6:52 AM

R27 You’re thinking of Dick Gilliland, who played Mary Jo’s boyfriend for a few seasons.

He was married to Jean Smart for a few decades.

by Anonymousreply 41April 21, 2024 6:55 AM

I’m a fan of every lady that joined the cast after Delta’s exit but they should have canceled it when she left. Heck, the show wouldn’t be worth watching if any one of the originals left.

by Anonymousreply 42April 21, 2024 6:58 AM

[quote]Meth use is practically the last thing I'd expect of her.

Keep in mind she was born and raised in Florida!

by Anonymousreply 43April 22, 2024 9:55 AM

Delta did return as Suzanne Sugarbaker for the DW spinoff Women of the House in 1995. It only lasted for one 13 episode season before it was cancelled. Meshach Taylor returned as Anthony for one episode.

by Anonymousreply 44April 22, 2024 5:39 PM

[quote] She was gorgeous.

You bet your bippy I was!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45April 22, 2024 5:41 PM

Richard Gilliland was gorgeous. Secret sizemeat, I bet.

Mary Jo may have been mousy but on the show she had Gilliland and Scott Bakula. Some fine cock right there.

by Anonymousreply 46April 22, 2024 5:42 PM

She was gorgeous then but definitely sounds like she has some personality problems. The way she speaks of Linda B-T almost sounds like a romantic relationship that soured, fantastically.

by Anonymousreply 47April 22, 2024 5:50 PM

Based on interviews both have given, I think a fair amount of blame lies with Burke. Like Cindy Williams, she had people advising her badly, and she also had some mental health issues (and apparently drug use, too).

I do think the bigger DW got, the less say LBT had in the show's day to day, and she probably was caught between a rock and a hard place. She defended Burke at first and was shocked when Burke really shit all over her, Harry and the show.

by Anonymousreply 48April 22, 2024 5:53 PM

"Nobody knew about crystal meth". What utter nonsense. She's clearly had some work, although it doesn't look bad.

by Anonymousreply 49April 22, 2024 5:56 PM

I wish that series that was planned for her a few years back had gone to series.

It was Delta, Margo Martindale, I think??? and some other folks working in a diner. She would have been great as part of an ensemble. She didn't really work as the star, but she would be great as the frosting on the cake, as it were.

by Anonymousreply 50April 22, 2024 6:00 PM

I bet it was Ann Wedgeworth who got Delta hooked on illicit substances.

by Anonymousreply 51April 22, 2024 6:05 PM

You do realize you’re talking about fictional characters, R46?

by Anonymousreply 52April 22, 2024 6:18 PM

[quote]She's clearly had some work, although it doesn't look bad.

R46, She's either had some fillers removed, or the 'work' has settled. She looked bad for a while, though I think some of it was moon-face from medications.

Glad she seems to be doing well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53April 22, 2024 6:31 PM

^Still pretty, even with moon-face.

by Anonymousreply 54April 22, 2024 6:48 PM

R52 Yes, I was mixing fictional characters and actors in my previous description/post. But my point was, for the fictional character of Mary Jo supposedly being the mousy one on the show, she was paired - fictionally - with two hot guys played by two hot actors.

by Anonymousreply 55April 22, 2024 7:38 PM

Edie McClurg was known to shoot up a little heroin in between The Hogan Family shoots. It helped her fibromyalgia.

by Anonymousreply 56April 22, 2024 8:19 PM

Coke whore.

by Anonymousreply 57April 22, 2024 8:25 PM

Shirley Booth's high, nasally voice was from repeated helium inhalation. She gave Bobby Buntrock his first inhale during the second season.

by Anonymousreply 58April 22, 2024 8:27 PM

I drank Drano*

by Anonymousreply 59April 22, 2024 8:45 PM

I'm so square.

All I took was LeVar Burton's big black cock.

by Anonymousreply 60April 22, 2024 8:59 PM

Delta Burke wrote about taking ‘diet pills’ in her book , ‘Delta Style’. I think she referred to them as Black Beauties.

by Anonymousreply 61April 22, 2024 9:24 PM

I don’t know why she didn’t just drink, smoke and watch old movies.

by Anonymousreply 62April 22, 2024 9:33 PM

Omg this poor woman lived a life of fighting her weight, so much so, she allowed her health to suffer by using meth to lose weight she must have a mental illness (or either HOLLYWOOD is a fucked up place.

by Anonymousreply 63April 23, 2024 12:44 AM

Saw her in Steel Magnolias on bway. She stole the show as Truvy.

by Anonymousreply 64April 23, 2024 12:44 AM

BUMP

by Anonymousreply 65April 23, 2024 2:03 AM

She claims no one knew about meth? Who is she kidding?

by Anonymousreply 66April 23, 2024 2:13 AM

She's not the type I would think would ever do meth. That's surprising. She's definitely more of a prescription pill type.

by Anonymousreply 67April 23, 2024 3:06 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!