Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The new Tik Tok 'blackout' challenge just may kill these crazy kids !

School administrators in New Jersey are warning parents about another concerning social-media challenge that can put kids in danger.

Lynn Irby Hill, the principal at the South Orange Middle School in South Orange, sent out a letter to parents Tuesday about the "blackout challenge" becoming popular on TikTok.

The challenge involves students holding their breath until they pass out and there have been deaths reported as a result of kids participating in the challenge.

"These incidents are very scary and very avoidable. We will continue to warn our students about the dangers of the 'blackout challenge' and most, if not all, challenges promoted on social media," Hill said in the letter.

The school reported two incidents of students passing out.

Aid was rendered to one of the students by the school's nursing staff while the other had to be transported to the hospital after having difficulty breathing once they regained consciousness.

Hill asked parents to help by discussing the dangers associated with the social media challenge with their children at home.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41April 25, 2024 2:48 PM

At least the kids who died died for a worthy cause.

by Anonymousreply 1April 18, 2024 9:54 PM

Yes, they laid down their lives so Tik Tok challenges may live on.

by Anonymousreply 2April 18, 2024 9:55 PM

Honestly, if they're stupid enough to try this then it's just cleaning up the gene pool.

by Anonymousreply 3April 18, 2024 9:57 PM

There were some 'concerned parents' speaking on the news saying "It really takes a village to raise kids these days". Really ? It don't recall it had to 'take a village' pre-millennials /zoomers.

by Anonymousreply 4April 18, 2024 9:59 PM

[quote]It really takes a village

Told you so.

by Anonymousreply 5April 18, 2024 10:00 PM

R5 - Greenwich Village?

by Anonymousreply 6April 18, 2024 10:03 PM

I knew a little girl who held her breath until her head cracked open.

by Anonymousreply 7April 18, 2024 10:05 PM

Take my breath awaaaaayyyy!

by Anonymousreply 8April 18, 2024 10:07 PM

Tweens and teens have been doing this for over 20 years. I didn't find out this was a trend 'til years later because I was a terrified, closeted, school library-dweller at the time, but apparently "cool" kids were choking each other out just for funsies back when I was middle school and high school.

by Anonymousreply 9April 18, 2024 10:18 PM

Yeah we used to do this at parties in the 90s too. And whip its!

by Anonymousreply 10April 18, 2024 10:24 PM

I call bullshit and hysteria on this story.

Unless these idiots held their breath under water or with a plastic bag tied around their heads, it's almost impossible to die from holding your breath.

Once you blackout, you will automatically start breathing again.

by Anonymousreply 11April 18, 2024 10:29 PM

The new “Rainbow Parties”!

by Anonymousreply 12April 18, 2024 10:45 PM

Ha-ha!

by Anonymousreply 13April 18, 2024 10:46 PM

Most likely the one hospitalized struggled to blackout and had some assistance. The truth will come out.

Anyway tiktok continues to be terrible.

by Anonymousreply 14April 18, 2024 10:57 PM

Why stop natural selection?

by Anonymousreply 15April 18, 2024 11:04 PM

holding your breath can kill you? toddlers everywhere quake.

by Anonymousreply 16April 18, 2024 11:22 PM

My dog holds her breath when she gets her teeth cleaned. It scared the shit out of the non-anesthetic teeth cleaning clinic dude (who was really cute, btw).

by Anonymousreply 17April 18, 2024 11:34 PM

How is this even possible. At some point your body's survival instict is going to kick in and force you to breath.

by Anonymousreply 18April 18, 2024 11:40 PM

r18=Kelly Osbourne.

by Anonymousreply 19April 19, 2024 1:11 AM

Once you pass out you start breathing again.

by Anonymousreply 20April 19, 2024 1:20 AM

“There have been deaths reported as a result of kids participating in the challenge.”

Passive voice doing a lot of work there.

by Anonymousreply 21April 19, 2024 1:31 AM

[quote] “There have been deaths reported as a result of kids participating in the challenge.”

Let's see a link to even one.

by Anonymousreply 22April 19, 2024 1:35 AM

If the kid has pre-existing medical conditions (especially a heart condition), or if the kid is heavily medicated (like many kids are from this generation) doing this 'tik tok challenge' could have different results than 'waking back up'. If any kid blacks out and falls down on cement or hits their head on something dangerous, it could be fatal.

by Anonymousreply 23April 19, 2024 2:20 AM

I wore a tie to "picture" day in highschool and decided to freak out a girl sitting in front of me by choking myself by tightening it. I did it maybe Friday ve times and then the next try I didn't have the strength to loosen my tie and I passed out.

The teacher loosened my tie and revived me somehow and we just continued along with the class.

by Anonymousreply 24April 19, 2024 3:15 AM

And that, DLers, is how R24 discovered the joys of autoerotic asphyxiation.

by Anonymousreply 25April 23, 2024 9:01 PM

How long before the troll farms start screaming "free speech" and the masses who don't understand what that really entails start parroting it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26April 24, 2024 3:25 PM

This is so 2020.

by Anonymousreply 27April 24, 2024 3:43 PM

Does anybody think that bytedance won't sell TikTok to an American-based company (that they own)? This isn't about banning TikTok, it's about controlling what governments have unfettered access to American citizens' data and what they do with it.

by Anonymousreply 28April 24, 2024 4:37 PM

It’s a great way to weed out stupid people in our society

by Anonymousreply 29April 24, 2024 4:51 PM

If eating tide pods didn't work, maybe this will!

by Anonymousreply 30April 24, 2024 5:14 PM

I'm waiting for the drop challenge: Find the tallest building in your city, go to the roof and jump.

by Anonymousreply 31April 25, 2024 11:57 AM

Another *Darwin Approved* challenge.

by Anonymousreply 32April 25, 2024 12:00 PM

Finally! A lifeguard at the Gene Pool!

by Anonymousreply 33April 25, 2024 12:07 PM

This has been a thing for many, many decades. Long before TikTok there was an active rumor/gosspi mill with people dumb enough to take a dare.

by Anonymousreply 34April 25, 2024 12:14 PM

It’s killing all the right people. Good.

by Anonymousreply 35April 25, 2024 12:48 PM

We did this in 5th grade in 1978. A kid would hold their breath while another kid would hold them from behind, putting pressure on their solar plexus. It was really about horny preteens getting handsy.

by Anonymousreply 36April 25, 2024 1:13 PM

Speaking of the “Rainbow Parties” mentioned at R12, was there any proof that this really was a countrywide epidemic? Or more in the vein of adult urban legends about “kids today”!

by Anonymousreply 37April 25, 2024 1:20 PM

R36 Same, except 6th grade and 1984.

by Anonymousreply 38April 25, 2024 2:12 PM

It’s funny, we did something similar when I was in the fifth grade back in 1985. But it was of course called a “Russian Knockout.” You didn’t hold your breath but you basically took really quick breaths until you hyperventilated THEN you held your breath until you lost consciousness. You’d see stars and then blackout.

by Anonymousreply 39April 25, 2024 2:23 PM

i used to do that shit all the time if you die you're a pussy

by Anonymousreply 40April 25, 2024 2:42 PM

Another reason to gt rid of the CCP's disinformation tool. Will be sorely missed by the Iranian regime and Putin's too

by Anonymousreply 41April 25, 2024 2:48 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!