Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

“Nikita” (1985) by Elton John is one of his most underrated songs!

Yes, it was a hit at the time but it seems mostly forgotten today. It certainly isn’t one of his highly regarded classics people listen to all the time and still gets airplay.

What an amazing song!!! Beautiful. And one of his best videos.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16April 25, 2024 8:44 PM

I think it is forgotten because it was the first song where is voice deepened from the weed smoking and he became obese (ugly)

by Anonymousreply 1April 18, 2024 7:38 PM

Was Besson's Nikita named after this song?

by Anonymousreply 2April 18, 2024 7:39 PM

I always found him ugly but he wasn’t obese there.

And it’s a great song. George Michael serves as background vocals on this track.

by Anonymousreply 3April 18, 2024 7:40 PM

I love, LOVE his 80s era. Completely agree on this one.

I'm Still Standing, I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues, Sad Songs, Little Jeannie, Sacrifice, I Don't Wanna Go On With You Like That... SO good.

by Anonymousreply 4April 18, 2024 7:44 PM

I came to say what R4 l said. I like how the rockist fans of EJ hate this era and leave us alone to like it.

by Anonymousreply 5April 18, 2024 7:47 PM

The only song I can stand by him squeaked in in 1989. Sacrifice. All the rest, his whole catalog is terrible. I think it's his voice. Nikita was okay too I guess

by Anonymousreply 6April 18, 2024 8:30 PM

Directed by the great Ken Russell!

by Anonymousreply 7April 18, 2024 10:08 PM

This was when he got married to a woman and tried to change his image in the midst of the AIDS crisis. It didn't work, so he creeped out of the closet.

by Anonymousreply 8April 18, 2024 10:40 PM

Wait, was this his straight phase?

by Anonymousreply 9April 24, 2024 10:08 PM

R3, thanks for the George Michael factoid. Listening now, that harmonic blend was so superb. I had no idea, and it beats the shit out of their single version of "Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me".

by Anonymousreply 10April 25, 2024 5:23 PM

My two favorite “forgotten” Elton John hits are Empty Garden and A Word In Spanish

by Anonymousreply 11April 25, 2024 5:35 PM

Shitta

by Anonymousreply 12April 25, 2024 6:47 PM

Agreed! Loves it.

by Anonymousreply 13April 25, 2024 7:26 PM

[quote]All the rest, his whole catalog is terrible.

Far, far from it.

‘Your Song’, ‘Tiny Dancer’, ‘Goodbye Yellow Brick Road’, ‘Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters’, ‘Rocket Man’, ‘Someone Saved My Life Tonight’, Sorry Seems to be the Hardest Word, Daniel.

Great pop music.

by Anonymousreply 14April 25, 2024 7:57 PM

I think “Nikita” is lovely.

by Anonymousreply 15April 25, 2024 8:13 PM

Shitta

by Anonymousreply 16April 25, 2024 8:44 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!